IndiaDivine.org

Re:Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thought

Rate this topic

Guest guest

namo narayana

Respected Anilji,

Yes, this is the contradiction of living in Kali yuga where the environment has become exactly opposite to what our sacred scriptures have said.

Now we have a choice, to go with this flow of Kali Yuga ( and finally end in Hell!) or patiently follow our dharma which Sri krishna has specially given for His devotees, no matter how painful it might be.

We can consider this pain of following our dharma as prayaschittam for our past sins and our penance to increase our love and devotion for our Lord, who has been patiently waiting for all of us to turn to His feet.

As a personal example, when I was a teenager I had to undergo a lot of ridicule from some family and friends as I was not "cool" enough to drink, smoke and eat meat. It was a painful expreince then, however I guess the Lord gave me the strength and knowledge to follow His orders, even though I may not have known at that time. Now after almost 10 years, when I see those who ridiculed me back are now addicted alcoholics, smokers and have a host of health problems. I see this as the Karmic price these poor people are paying for their bad habits and cruelty to innocent animals. These people are no longer "cool" as their youth has evaporated and now are stuck with their "cool" (Bad) habits. It is high thime that we reject such "PEER PRESSURE" and follow our dharma, as these so-called friends are not going give us liberation at the time of our death.

In the US, while I have to go to formal dinners and business lunches, I always order completely vegetarian food and never have any alcoholic preparations/beverages. My collegues know this and they respect me for that. There have been several instances that while on these conferences, I had to eat only bread, and some salads but it was much better than eating food which was obtained from killing innocent animals and getting entanged in this vicious cycle of Karma. I have made a choice that I will follow these commands of Lord Krishna no matter what price I have to pay and I always ask His strength so that I can follow His wishes.

Furthermore any material benefits which are obtained in adharmic manner will never be aiswaryam (auspicious wealth), but such wealth will bring only misfortune in the form of diseases, lawsuits, thefts, family discords etc. Better a rupee earned by dharmic manner rather than to get a crore of rupees by wrong means.

So I personally feel that it is matter of faith and choice. Either we go with the flow and then reap horrific karmic reactions in our old age and destroy every chance of attaining moksham for our sense gratification and cravings of our tongues.

Or we take His directions and follow our dharma eventhough it might be somewhat uncomfortable, but we must always remember that this small discomfort is insignificant to the love and devotion which we will get from Him, serving Him in Sri Vaikuntham, our "real" home.

Sincerely,

Kamlesh--- On Fri, 9/4/09, Anil NN <anilnn wrote:

Anil NN <anilnn[Guruvayur] Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thoughtguruvayur Date: Friday, September 4, 2009, 6:41 AM

I agree with the need for all of us to sattvic food for the rest of our life, which is possible for most of us.

But how do we, who do Sales/Marketing and also those of us, running their own business,

who need to entertain their clients/customers make it workable? Especially in Asia...

As you may know, to establish relationships in any industry and to get business moving ahead, networking is essential and in today's world, partying, drinking is part of the process, which includes non-vegetarian food.

If some of our learned members (who run their own business, sales teams,...) have found some ways to overcome these, please share....

Best Regards,

Anil

Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thought

Posted by: "ramachandra menon" ramachandramenon@ ramachandramenon

Thu Sep 3, 2009 11:29 pm (PDT)

On uthradam day, just one day previous to Onam, the total liquor consumed in Kerala is worth Rs.34 crores. --- On Fri, 4/9/09, nbnair2000 <nbnair2000 > wrote:nbnair2000 <nbnair2000 >[Guruvayur] Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thoughtguruvayur@grou ps.comFriday, 4 September, 2009, 6:36 AM HARI AUMNow

it is well established that there is too much cruelty involved in the production of some of the so-called vegetarian food items.We all devotees of SriGuruvayurappan have to take these lines from Shri Kamlesh very seriously and also spread the message: "4. Hencelet all of us devotees of Lord Guruvayoorappan shun milk products, eggsand other tamasic food which cause untold sufferings and miserabledeath for countless innocent animals. Especially the pain of youngcalves is heart rendering and needs to be stopped; we can especiallyhelp if we limit/eliminate the consumption of such cruel products.".Regards to all,NB Nair.

Dear Kamaleshji,

I admire your self discipline and determination. Now I cannot help sharing one of the advices given by my mother's first cousin who is a sanyaasini of Ramkrishna Mission. Her name is Ajaya Prana Maathaaji and currently she is in Australia asharamam. She must be more than 85 years now and I have not heard about her sammadhi yet and so I am hoping she is still motivating and inspiring people.

30 years back when we were ready to come to U.S with two small children I went to seer her in Trivandrum Ashramam. Then she was there. I shared with her my concerns of coming here and bringing up the children in the western world. She told me these words which still echoes in my ears along with my parents' several teachings and advices : " Do you know British lived here 200 years and they never ate with their hands, they never used water to wash after going to the bathroom. Instead of learning how to pronounce our language and names they anglicized them to Palghat, Calicut, Trivandrum or to whatever pleased them. We never corrected them because we enjoyed serving them, we adored them enough to look down upon ourselves and everyhting that is ours. So, Kutty, I advise you not to give up what is your culture, what is your heritage and what is your dharma. You may have to wear different types of clothes to survive there, but Bhakshanam and Bhaasha and samskaaram can remain the same. Create a Keralam inside your house and adjustt to their country outside. Talk in Malyalam, teach your children Malayalam and make them proud of their heritage and culture. Do not eat meat and tell them that we are perfectly Ok and we have been living as vegetarians for generations.They will start respecting you after the initial struggle becasue when you are strong and polite, people admire you "

She was 100% right. Initially I had some problems, but later when I started presenting our food items with out shame they loved it. I told them how healthy Iddlis are and told them that they are actually lentil muffins. Mulkappodi and thairu was spicy yogurt sauce. Pappadam was presented as lentil wafers. Dosas are crispy lentil pancakes.Uzhunnnu vadaas are their favorite and I called them lentil doughnut. 

If we are ashamed of our heritage ans culture, everybody will look down upon us. If we are proud, they respect you for your strength even though they may initially try to ridicule you. I think even a dog knows that. When we are scared it runs after you. But when you stop and bravely pretend to take a stone from the ground, it runs away from us. This example, our mother used to tell us always.  

Sorry, it became too long. I could not help sharing this because I feel extremely sad to see people imitating others blindly and then cutting a sorry figure.

Let Bhgavaan guide all of us to do what is right!

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Veryytterium <veryytterium wrote:

namo narayana

Respected Anilji,

Yes, this is the contradiction of living in Kali yuga where the environment has become exactly opposite to what our sacred scriptures have said.

Now we have a choice, to go with this flow of Kali Yuga ( and finally end in Hell!) or patiently follow our dharma which Sri krishna has specially given for His devotees, no matter how painful it might be.

We can consider this pain of following our dharma as prayaschittam for our past sins and our penance to increase our love and devotion for our Lord, who has been patiently waiting for all of us to turn to His feet.

As a personal example, when I was a teenager I had to undergo a lot of ridicule from some family and friends as I  was not " cool " enough to drink, smoke and eat meat. It was a painful expreince then, however I guess the Lord gave me the strength and knowledge to follow His orders, even though I may not have known at that time. Now after almost 10 years, when I see those who ridiculed me back are now addicted alcoholics, smokers and have a host of health problems. I see this as the Karmic price these poor people are paying for their bad habits and cruelty to innocent animals. These people are no longer " cool " as their youth has evaporated and now are stuck with their " cool " (Bad) habits.  It is high thime that we reject such " PEER PRESSURE " and follow our dharma, as these so-called friends are not going give us liberation at the time of our death.

In the US, while I have to go to formal dinners and business lunches, I always order completely vegetarian food and never have any alcoholic preparations/beverages. My collegues know this and they respect me for that. There have been several instances that while on these conferences, I had to eat only bread, and some salads but it was much better than eating food which was obtained from killing innocent animals and getting entanged in this vicious cycle of Karma. I have made a choice that I will follow these commands of Lord Krishna no matter what price I have to pay and I always ask His strength so that I can follow His wishes.

Furthermore any material benefits which are obtained in adharmic manner will never be  aiswaryam (auspicious wealth), but such wealth will bring only misfortune in the form of diseases, lawsuits, thefts, family discords etc. Better a rupee earned by dharmic manner rather than to get a crore of rupees by wrong means.

So I personally feel that it is matter of faith and choice. Either we go with the flow and then reap horrific karmic reactions in our old age and destroy every chance of attaining moksham for our sense gratification and cravings of our tongues.

Or we take His directions and follow our dharma eventhough it might be somewhat uncomfortable, but we must always remember that this small discomfort is insignificant to the love and devotion which we will get from Him, serving Him in Sri Vaikuntham, our " real " home.

Sincerely,

Kamlesh--- On Fri, 9/4/09, Anil NN <anilnn wrote:

Anil NN <anilnn [Guruvayur] Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thoughtguruvayur Date: Friday, September 4, 2009, 6:41 AM

I agree with the need for all of us to sattvic food for the rest of our  life, which is possible for most of us.

But how do we, who do Sales/Marketing and also those of us, running their own business,

who need to entertain their clients/customers make it workable? Especially in Asia...

As you may know, to establish relationships in any industry and to get business moving ahead, networking is essential and in today's world, partying, drinking is part of the process, which includes non-vegetarian food.

If some of our learned members (who run their own business, sales teams,...) have found some ways to overcome these, please share....

Best Regards,

Anil

Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thought

Posted by: " ramachandra menon " ramachandramenon@   ramachandramenon

Thu Sep 3, 2009 11:29 pm (PDT)

On uthradam day, just one day previous to Onam, the total liquor consumed in Kerala is worth Rs.34 crores. --- On Fri, 4/9/09, nbnair2000 <nbnair2000 > wrote:

nbnair2000 <nbnair2000 >[Guruvayur] Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thought

guruvayur@grou ps.comFriday, 4 September, 2009, 6:36 AM  HARI AUM

Now it is well established that there is too much cruelty involved in the production of some of the so-called vegetarian food items.We all devotees of SriGuruvayurappan have to take these lines from Shri Kamlesh very seriously and also spread the message:

" 4.       Hencelet all of us devotees of Lord Guruvayoorappan shun milk products, eggsand other tamasic food which cause untold sufferings and miserabledeath for countless innocent animals. Especially the pain of youngcalves is heart rendering and needs to be stopped; we can especiallyhelp if we limit/eliminate the consumption of such cruel products. " .

Regards to all,NB Nair.

Hari-om

-------

Gurudevas

Humans need food to sustain ourselves but it does not mean that we have to

imitate others. Irrespective of which part of the world we live in, abundance of

food is available to us and what we eat depends on our individual choice.

Every child born is a pure vegetarian to start with . It is the feeding habits

that seperates the vegetarians from the others. Taste is acquired and childhood

habits are hard to get rid off. If an individual wants to maintain a healthy

vegetarian food-habit, all it takes is a little will power plus a dash of

self-decipline.

Take for example our Mahatma.

He had his education in the U K , spent several years in South Africa as a young

lawyer, travelled the world but still remained a vegetarian all his life.

Swami Viveknanda who went to the USA long before any of us never touched

non--veg items. There are several thousands of others who follow the same life

style. The thousands of Sadhus of the Swami Narayan Sect at home and in foreign

countries follow purely veg. food habits.

We do not have to imitate others when our personal preferences are concerned,

whatever position we may hold in society. An intellegent society will not rebuke

someone because he prefered to have a glass of

tomato juice instead of SCOTCH ON ROCKS , or veg. salad instead of shrimp

cocktail.

A determined individual need not be self-conscious to avoid non-veg items and

alcohol.

Be COOL, be vegetarian,

Remember, only beasts eat other beasts.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

>

> Dear Kamaleshji,

>

> I admire your self discipline and determination. Now I cannot help sharing

> one of the advices given by my mother's first cousin who is a sanyaasini of

> Ramkrishna Mission. Her name is Ajaya Prana Maathaaji and currently she is

> in Australia asharamam. She must be more than 85 years now and I have not

> heard about her sammadhi yet and so I am hoping she is still motivating and

> inspiring people.

>

> 30 years back when we were ready to come to U.S with two small children I

> went to seer her in Trivandrum Ashramam. Then she was there. I shared with

> her my concerns of coming here and bringing up the children in the western

> world. She told me these words which still echoes in my ears along with my

> parents' several teachings and advices : " Do you know British lived here 200

> years and they never ate with their hands, they never used water to wash

> after going to the bathroom. Instead of learning how to pronounce our

> language and names they anglicized them to Palghat, Calicut, Trivandrum or

> to whatever pleased them. We never corrected them because we enjoyed serving

> them, we adored them enough to look down upon ourselves and everyhting that

> is ours. So, Kutty, I advise you not to give up what is your culture, what

> is your heritage and what is your dharma. You may have to wear different

> types of clothes to survive there, but Bhakshanam and Bhaasha and samskaaram

> can remain the same. Create a Keralam inside your house and adjustt to their

> country outside. Talk in Malyalam, teach your children Malayalam and make

> them proud of their heritage and culture. Do not eat meat and tell them that

> we are perfectly Ok and we have been living as vegetarians for

> generations.They will start respecting you after the initial struggle

> becasue when you are strong and polite, people admire you "

>

> She was 100% right. Initially I had some problems, but later when I started

> presenting our food items with out shame they loved it. I told them how

> healthy Iddlis are and told them that they are actually lentil muffins.

> Mulkappodi and thairu was spicy yogurt sauce. Pappadam was presented as

> lentil wafers. Dosas are crispy lentil pancakes.Uzhunnnu vadaas are their

> favorite and I called them lentil doughnut.

>

> If we are ashamed of our heritage ans culture, everybody will look down upon

> us. If we are proud, they respect you for your strength even though they may

> initially try to ridicule you. I think even a dog knows that. When we are

> scared it runs after you. But when you stop and bravely pretend to take a

> stone from the ground, it runs away from us. This example, our mother used

> to tell us always.

>

> Sorry, it became too long. I could not help sharing this because I feel

> extremely sad to see people imitating others blindly and then cutting a

> sorry figure.

>

> Let Bhgavaan guide all of us to do what is right!

>

> Regards and prayers

>

> Savitri

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Veryytterium <veryytterium wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > namo narayana

> >

> > Respected Anilji,

> > Yes, this is the contradiction of living in Kali yuga where the environment

> > has become exactly opposite to what our sacred scriptures have said.

> >

> > Now we have a choice, to go with this flow of Kali Yuga ( and finally end

> > in Hell!) or patiently follow our dharma which Sri krishna has specially

> > given for His devotees, no matter how painful it might be.

> >

> > We can consider this pain of following our dharma as prayaschittam for our

> > past sins and our penance to increase our love and devotion for our Lord,

> > who has been patiently waiting for all of us to turn to His feet.

> >

> > As a personal example, when I was a teenager I had to undergo a lot of

> > ridicule from some family and friends as I was not " cool " enough to drink,

> > smoke and eat meat. It was a painful expreince then, however I guess the

> > Lord gave me the strength and knowledge to follow His orders, even though I

> > may not have known at that time. *Now after almost 10 years, when I see

> > those who ridiculed me back are now addicted alcoholics, smokers and have a

> > host of health problems. I see this as the Karmic price these poor people

> > are paying for their bad habits and cruelty to innocent animals. These

> > people are no longer " cool " as their youth has evaporated and now are stuck

> > with their " cool " (Bad) habits. *It is high thime that we reject such

> > " PEER PRESSURE " and follow our dharma, as these so-called friends are not

> > going give us liberation at the time of our death.

> >

> > In the US, while I have to go to formal dinners and business lunches, I

> > always order completely vegetarian food and never have any alcoholic

> > preparations/beverages. My collegues know this and they respect me for that.

> > There have been several instances that while on these conferences, I had to

> > eat only bread, and some salads but it was much better than eating food

> > which was obtained from killing innocent animals and getting entanged in

> > this vicious cycle of Karma. I have made a choice that I will follow these

> > commands of Lord Krishna no matter what price I have to pay and I always ask

> > His strength so that I can follow His wishes.

> >

> > Furthermore any material benefits which are obtained in adharmic manner

> > will never be aiswaryam (auspicious wealth), but such wealth will bring

> > only misfortune in the form of diseases, lawsuits, thefts, family discords

> > etc. Better a rupee earned by dharmic manner rather than to get a crore of

> > rupees by wrong means.

> >

> > So I personally feel that it is matter of faith and choice. Either we go

> > with the flow and then reap horrific karmic reactions in our old age and

> > destroy every chance of attaining moksham for our sense gratification and

> > cravings of our tongues.

> >

> > Or we take His directions and follow our dharma eventhough it might be

> > somewhat uncomfortable, but we must always remember that this small

> > discomfort is insignificant to the love and devotion which we will get from

> > Him, serving Him in Sri Vaikuntham, our " real " home.

> > Sincerely,

> >

> > Kamlesh

> > --- On *Fri, 9/4/09, Anil NN <anilnn* wrote:

> >

> >

> > Anil NN <anilnn

> > [Guruvayur] Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thought

> > guruvayur

> > Friday, September 4, 2009, 6:41 AM

> >

> > I agree with the need for all of us to sattvic food for the rest of our

> > life, which is possible for most of us.

> >

> > But how do we, who do Sales/Marketing and also those of us, running their

> > own business,

> >

> > who need to entertain their clients/customers make it workable? Especially

> > in Asia...

> >

> > As you may know, to establish relationships in any industry and to get

> > business moving ahead, networking is essential and in today's world,

> > partying, drinking is part of the process, which includes non-vegetarian

> > food.

> >

> > If some of our learned members (who run their own business, sales

> > teams,...) have found some ways to overcome these, please share....

> >

> > Best Regards,

> > Anil

> >

> >

> >

> > Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thought

> >

<guruvayur/message/18532;_ylc=X3oDMTJydHViY2o4BF9T\

Azk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzMzODg4ODgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1ODM4MDc5BG1zZ0lkAzE4NTMyBHNlYwNk\

bXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNTIwNTY2Nzg-> Posted

> > by: " ramachandra menon " ramachandramenon@

> >

<http://us.mc580.mail./mc/compose?to=ramachandramenon & Subject=+Re%3\

A%20Vegetarian%20Vs%2E%20Sattvic%20Food%20-%20Food%20for%20thought>

> > ramachandramenon <http://profiles./ramachandramenon> Thu

> > Sep 3, 2009 11:29 pm (PDT)

> >

> > On uthradam day, just one day previous to Onam, the total liquor consumed

> > in Kerala is worth Rs.34 crores.

> >

> > --- On Fri, 4/9/09, nbnair2000 <nbnair2000 (AT) (DOT)

com<http://us.mc580.mail./mc/compose?to=nbnair2000%40>>

> > wrote:

> >

> > nbnair2000 <nbnair2000 (AT) (DOT)

com<http://us.mc580.mail./mc/compose?to=nbnair2000%40>

> > >

> > [Guruvayur] Re: Vegetarian Vs. Sattvic Food - Food for thought

> > guruvayur@grou

ps.com<http://us.mc580.mail./mc/compose?to=guruvayur%40>

> > Friday, 4 September, 2009, 6:36 AM

> >

> >

> >

> > HARI AUM

> >

> > Now it is well established that there is too much cruelty involved in the

> > production of some of the so-called vegetarian food items.

> > We all devotees of SriGuruvayurappan have to take these lines from Shri

> > Kamlesh very seriously and also spread the message:

> > " 4. Hencelet all of us devotees of Lord Guruvayoorappan shun milk

> > products, eggsand other tamasic food which cause untold sufferings and

> > miserabledeath for countless innocent animals. Especially the pain of

> > youngcalves is heart rendering and needs to be stopped; we can

> > especiallyhelp if we limit/eliminate the consumption of such cruel

> > products. " .

> >

> > Regards to all,

> > NB Nair.

> >