IndiaDivine.org

Sukumarji - morsing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Om Namo Narayanaya.Thanks Sukumarji for sharing the link; it is lovely. The morsing is an amazing instrument and you play it beautifully in the 'call and respond' portions with the tabla and the vocalist!I had the good fortune to hear/see it played when an all woman ensemble (including Lalgudi Vijaylakshmi) from Chennai performed in Madison, WI. Is the morsing a lost art now being revived or is it a modern instrument gaining in popularity? Forgive my ignorance!Pray that Guruvayurappan gives you more such opportunities to perform!Regards,Veena.--- On Wed, 9/23/09, Sukumar <sukumarcanada wrote:Sukumar <sukumarcanadaRe: [Guruvayur] about Onam &

Mahabali & clips of Onam concert...guruvayur Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hari OM!Thank you for your note. I don't think we are having any differences in our opinions about the celebration of Onam at all. My interest is to ensure that the importance of Vamanavatharam is not to be forgotten as it is ignored in most 'janakeeya sahityams'. Infact Onam celebration is a major economic boost to Kerala and I can't imagine a Keralam without Onam celebrations. As part of Onam celebration in Canada we had a series of Carnatic concerts by Sri Sankaran Namboodiri. He also sang some of my 'krithis' (or vikrithis..) I will post some when I get a clean copy. Please see an excerpt of "nagumo...." from

the Vancouver concert. I have also taken part in it.Shankaran

Namboodiri concert in Vancouver - parts in you tube http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=sad6pf01Duo Sankaran Namboothiri - Nagumomu (Parts) in VancouverThis is a clip from Sree Sankaran Namboodiri's Carnatic Classical concert in Vancouver. 4 Sept 2009. Sree Raman Iyer Violin; Sree M Lakshman- Mridangam; Dr. A. P. Sukumar, Morsinghari

OM!Sukumar--- On Tue, 9/22/09, NVP Menon

<nvpmenon > wrote:NVP Menon <nvpmenon >Re: [Guruvayur] navaneetham - about Onam & Mahabaliguruvayur@grou ps.comReceived: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 3:25 AM

Dear Sukumarji,

I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I do not want to enter into a controversy. I agree with you about what is written in Bhagavatham. But I do not think there is any harm in honouring a benevolent king. I do not know when this celebration of Onam was started. I know it was there when I was born 70years ago.By doing this celebration, we are not dishonouring Vamanamoorthi either. We are doing the pooja to Vamana at the same time too.I do not know about historical accuracy . But I know there is a prathishta of Vamana in Trikkakkara and there is a place called PAthAlam near Alwaye too .

with all best wishes,and prayers,

sreedevi menon

Om Namo narayanaya

--- On Mon, 9/21/09, Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ > wrote:

Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ >Re: [Guruvayur] navaneetham - about Onam & Mahabaliguruvayur@grou ps.comMonday, September 21, 2009, 7:01 PM

Hari OM! Hari OM!

I read Smt. Sreedevi ji's mail regarding my article in Navaneetham about Mahabali. Thank you for your remarks and sorry for the delay in reply. I was away at a conference.

I hope I haven't made anyone uneasy by writing the "mahabali chinthakal". What I did was to quote Bhagavatham to restate the story of mahabali and to show how the modern interpretation of the "chathi" by Mahavishnu (i.e., the Lord's deceitful action) is against the real import of the legend. I am also a real admirer of Mahabali as a king and an ideal bhaktha . But Lord Vishnu showed him the path which is really at a higher realm we can only hope for. My question is why should we merely stop at the material prosperity? We should always hope and aim for the highest ideal and Mahabali's lesson was to attain that with the touch of the Lord's holy feet. That is the missing link in the popular story and I consider it as a real drawback.. I assure that it is not my concept at all. I shamelessly retold it from Bhagavatham.

In other traditions also we see such treatments of great traditions and stories. (I might get into trouble by saying this). Now the fasting is underway (or it is over) for Holy Ramzan. But in newspapers and popular media, more emphasis is placed on the different food items prepared for ending the daily fast. The essence of Ramzan is much more than eating wonderful food. It should be about conservation and giving danam (sakath), right?... Similarly, during X mas, who is popular? Jesus Christ or Santa Claus?

I wish, for Onam we start celebrating the appearance of Lord Vamana first and then the king Mahabali. The Lord took the incarnation to show us the importance of the higher pursuits of life. As I wrote in the article, when one gives everything that he 'owns' to the Lord, that is bhakthi and thus Bali became an ideal example of a bhaktha. When one submits himself then that is vijnanam. Thats the blessing Mahabali recieved.

I am still at a loss at the Kerala connection of Onam....Bhagavatham doesn't mention that.

Gurdevs, Please forgive my 'adhikaprasamgam' and kindly correct if I got it wrong.

hari OM!

sasnEham

Sukumar

--- On Sat, 9/19/09, NVP Menon <nvpmenon > wrote:

NVP Menon <nvpmenon >[Guruvayur] navaneetham"guruvayur " <guruvayur@grou ps.com>Received: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 3:23 PM

Dear GuruDevs,The new navaneetham, september issue has come out very nice again. Our Sunilji has done a great job.Thank you again.We are really happy to see our dear friend, ChandrshekharaMenon and his family..He is doing such an important job of moderating this site and kotiarchana giving opportunity for people like me to write the namajapam every day, giving us peace of mind.My friend, you are never a poojyam by yourself. Remember "Thou are that" You are 100% by yourself. We are very happy to see you as the Member of the month.congratulatio ns and keep up the good work. Thank youIn my opinion ,the best article was of our great Sastriji who explained the human life in such a simple terms. Thank you, Sastriji.I do have an issue with Sukumarji,s concept. I feel it is indeed very approprite to honour Mahabali one day,a king who is supposed to be an embodiment of goodness to the people of Kerala We cannot imagine to see such a great

king EVER. .We should not be looking into the historical accuracy of it. He was God,s favourite devotee anyway.We should remember we are also praying to Trikkakkara Appan who is Vamana moorthi during Onam. Hope Sukumarji will pardon me for writing this opinion. Your kavitha is as usual beautiful.Thank you.with prayers,sreedevi Om Namo Narayanaya

Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Get it Now for Free!

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Hari OM!Thanks Veenaji for your comments and best wishes. I have been playing for concerts from last year with Fr. Paul Poovathunkal and this year I played with Shankaran ji in LA, Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto. In LA, at the khna convention, Sri Jayan master (jayavijaya fame) also allowed me to accompany him. For a beginner with no formal training, these have been a great blessing indeed, to be with such great musicians.Morsing has been in use for many years, but there are not too many people who play it now. Amrutha TV has a daily classical music program for which they feature morsing regularly. It is also called Jewish Harp (from Jewish Tradition) and in Malayalam and Tamil people call it 'mughar samgh' (Conch played by mouth). Traditional and serious musicians tend to like having morsing in their concerts and it is an 'upa

vadyam' of mridangam. Smt. Sudha Rghunathan uses it a lot.Thanks again,Hari OM!Sukumar--- On Thu, 9/24/09, Veena Nair <veeus18 wrote:Veena Nair <veeus18[Guruvayur] Re: Sukumarji - morsingguruvayur Received: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 3:23 AM

Om Namo Narayanaya.Thanks Sukumarji for sharing the link; it is lovely. The morsing is an amazing instrument and you play it beautifully in the 'call and respond' portions with the tabla and the vocalist!I had the good fortune to hear/see it played when an all woman ensemble (including Lalgudi Vijaylakshmi) from Chennai performed in Madison, WI. Is the morsing a lost art now being revived or is it a modern instrument gaining in popularity? Forgive my ignorance!Pray that Guruvayurappan gives you more such opportunities to perform!Regards,Veena.--- On Wed, 9/23/09, Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ > wrote:Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ >Re: [Guruvayur] about Onam &

Mahabali & clips of Onam concert...guruvayur@grou ps.comWednesday, September 23, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hari OM!Thank you for your note. I don't think we are having any differences in our opinions about the celebration of Onam at all. My interest is to ensure that the importance of Vamanavatharam is not to be forgotten as it is ignored in most 'janakeeya sahityams'. Infact Onam celebration is a major economic boost to Kerala and I can't imagine a Keralam without Onam celebrations. As part of Onam celebration in Canada we had a series of Carnatic concerts by Sri Sankaran Namboodiri. He also sang some of my 'krithis' (or vikrithis..) I will post some when I get a clean copy. Please see an excerpt of "nagumo...." from

Namboodiri concert in Vancouver - parts in you tube http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=sad6pf01Duo Sankaran Namboothiri - Nagumomu (Parts) in VancouverThis is a clip from Sree Sankaran Namboodiri's Carnatic Classical concert in Vancouver. 4 Sept 2009. Sree Raman Iyer Violin; Sree M Lakshman- Mridangam; Dr. A. P. Sukumar, Morsinghari

<nvpmenon > wrote:NVP Menon <nvpmenon >Re: [Guruvayur] navaneetham - about Onam & Mahabaliguruvayur@grou ps.comReceived: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 3:25 AM

Dear Sukumarji,

I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I do not want to enter into a controversy. I agree with you about what is written in Bhagavatham. But I do not think there is any harm in honouring a benevolent king. I do not know when this celebration of Onam was started. I know it was there when I was born 70years ago.By doing this celebration, we are not dishonouring Vamanamoorthi either. We are doing the pooja to Vamana at the same time too.I do not know about historical accuracy . But I know there is a prathishta of Vamana in Trikkakkara and there is a place called PAthAlam near Alwaye too .

sreedevi menon

Om Namo narayanaya

Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ >Re: [Guruvayur] navaneetham - about Onam & Mahabaliguruvayur@grou ps.comMonday, September 21, 2009, 7:01 PM

Hari OM! Hari OM!

I read Smt. Sreedevi ji's mail regarding my article in Navaneetham about Mahabali. Thank you for your remarks and sorry for the delay in reply. I was away at a conference.

I hope I haven't made anyone uneasy by writing the "mahabali chinthakal". What I did was to quote Bhagavatham to restate the story of mahabali and to show how the modern interpretation of the "chathi" by Mahavishnu (i.e., the Lord's deceitful action) is against the real import of the legend. I am also a real admirer of Mahabali as a king and an ideal bhaktha . But Lord Vishnu showed him the path which is really at a higher realm we can only hope for. My question is why should we merely stop at the material prosperity? We should always hope and aim for the highest ideal and Mahabali's lesson was to attain that with the touch of the Lord's holy feet. That is the missing link in the popular story and I consider it as a real drawback.. I assure that it is not my concept at all. I shamelessly retold it from Bhagavatham.

In other traditions also we see such treatments of great traditions and stories. (I might get into trouble by saying this). Now the fasting is underway (or it is over) for Holy Ramzan. But in newspapers and popular media, more emphasis is placed on the different food items prepared for ending the daily fast. The essence of Ramzan is much more than eating wonderful food. It should be about conservation and giving danam (sakath), right?... Similarly, during X mas, who is popular? Jesus Christ or Santa Claus?

I wish, for Onam we start celebrating the appearance of Lord Vamana first and then the king Mahabali. The Lord took the incarnation to show us the importance of the higher pursuits of life. As I wrote in the article, when one gives everything that he 'owns' to the Lord, that is bhakthi and thus Bali became an ideal example of a bhaktha. When one submits himself then that is vijnanam. Thats the blessing Mahabali recieved.

I am still at a loss at the Kerala connection of Onam....Bhagavatham doesn't mention that.

Gurdevs, Please forgive my 'adhikaprasamgam' and kindly correct if I got it wrong.

hari OM!

sasnEham

Sukumar

NVP Menon <nvpmenon >[Guruvayur] navaneetham"guruvayur " <guruvayur@grou ps.com>Received: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 3:23 PM

Dear GuruDevs,The new navaneetham, september issue has come out very nice again. Our Sunilji has done a great job.Thank you again.We are really happy to see our dear friend, ChandrshekharaMenon and his family..He is doing such an important job of moderating this site and kotiarchana giving opportunity for people like me to write the namajapam every day, giving us peace of mind.My friend, you are never a poojyam by yourself. Remember "Thou are that" You are 100% by yourself. We are very happy to see you as the Member of the month.congratulatio ns and keep up the good work. Thank youIn my opinion ,the best article was of our great Sastriji who explained the human life in such a simple terms. Thank you, Sastriji.I do have an issue with Sukumarji,s concept. I feel it is indeed very approprite to honour Mahabali one day,a king who is supposed to be an embodiment of goodness to the people of Kerala We cannot imagine to see such a great

king EVER. .We should not be looking into the historical accuracy of it. He was God,s favourite devotee anyway.We should remember we are also praying to Trikkakkara Appan who is Vamana moorthi during Onam. Hope Sukumarji will pardon me for writing this opinion. Your kavitha is as usual beautiful.Thank you.with prayers,sreedevi Om Namo Narayanaya

Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Get it Now for Free!

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Morsing means " Mor(e)sing " , and so we should sing more to enjoy life and to be nearer God!   Music takes us nearer to the Lord, as " Music " is a " sadhana " for gaining more and more Bhakti.   And so far as I am concerned, " Nagumomu "   is my favourite song, and any number of times I hear it, it is never boring.   To hear it from Sankaran Namboodiri, accompanied by Sriram, Lakshmanan and dear Sukumarji is nothing but splendid.  That percussion it starts with was excellent!  I have been hearing this song ever since my boyhood days and I enjoy it so well every time I hear it...... and that part of the Charanam " Jagamele Paramaatma " makes my hair stand on ends!

I have some recordings of Sankaran Namboodiri which he had done as a

small boy, and I still relish them so well, even more than his

present-day katcheris,  and I used to wonder why the Lord made him a

boy!   If he were a girl, that tender voice would have stayed with him

and it would have been much more enjoyable!

So far as we are concerned, let us sing more,----and---more----and more----so as to gain more and more Bhakti------if we are scared of the neighbours, there is a safe place called " Bathroom " in every house!

And let me assure, regarding Mahabali and Vamana,  that they two were " made for each other " .  If there were no Mahabali, the Lord would not have incarnated as Vamana, and but for Vamana, Mahabali would not have attained that status and station of " Infinite Bliss " he is enjoying even today, and we on our part, would not have been enjoying our " ONAM " .  So both are adorable!

Loving regardsKVG,On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Veena Nair <veeus18 wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya.Thanks Sukumarji for sharing the link; it is lovely. The morsing is an amazing instrument and you play it beautifully in the 'call and respond' portions with the tabla and the vocalist!

I had the good fortune to hear/see it played when an all woman ensemble (including Lalgudi Vijaylakshmi) from Chennai performed in Madison, WI. Is the morsing a lost art now being revived or is it a modern instrument gaining in popularity? Forgive my ignorance!

Pray that Guruvayurappan gives you more such opportunities to perform!Regards,Veena.--- On Wed, 9/23/09, Sukumar <sukumarcanada wrote:

Sukumar <sukumarcanadaRe: [Guruvayur] about Onam &

Mahabali & clips of Onam concert...guruvayur Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hari OM!Thank you for your note. I don't think we are having any differences in our opinions about the celebration of Onam at all. My interest is to ensure that the importance of Vamanavatharam is not to be forgotten as it is ignored in most 'janakeeya sahityams'. Infact Onam celebration is a major economic boost to Kerala and I can't imagine a Keralam without Onam celebrations. 

As part of Onam celebration in Canada we had a series of Carnatic concerts by Sri Sankaran Namboodiri. He also sang some of my 'krithis' (or vikrithis..) I will post some when I get a clean copy. Please see an excerpt of " nagumo.... " from

Namboodiri concert in Vancouver - parts in you tube http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=sad6pf01Duo

Sankaran Namboothiri - Nagumomu (Parts) in Vancouver

This is a clip from Sree Sankaran Namboodiri's Carnatic Classical concert in Vancouver. 4 Sept 2009. Sree Raman Iyer Violin; Sree M Lakshman- Mridangam; Dr. A. P. Sukumar, Morsing

hari

<nvpmenon > wrote:NVP Menon <nvpmenon >Re: [Guruvayur] navaneetham - about Onam & Mahabali

guruvayur@grou ps.comReceived: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 3:25 AM

Dear Sukumarji,

I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I do not want to enter into a controversy. I agree with you about what is written in Bhagavatham. But I do not think there is any harm in honouring a   benevolent king.  I do not know when this celebration of Onam was started. I know it was there when I was born 70years ago.By doing this celebration, we are not dishonouring Vamanamoorthi either. We are doing the pooja to Vamana at the same time too.I do not know about historical accuracy . But I know there is a prathishta of Vamana in Trikkakkara and there is a place called PAthAlam near Alwaye too .

sreedevi menon

Om Namo narayanaya

Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ >Re: [Guruvayur] navaneetham - about Onam & Mahabali

guruvayur@grou ps.comMonday, September 21, 2009, 7:01 PM

Hari OM! Hari OM!

I hope I haven't made anyone uneasy by writing the " mahabali chinthakal " . What I did was to quote Bhagavatham to restate the story of mahabali and to show how the modern interpretation of the " chathi " by Mahavishnu (i.e., the Lord's deceitful action) is against the real import of the legend. I am also a real admirer of Mahabali as a king and an ideal bhaktha . But Lord Vishnu showed him the path which is really at a higher realm we can only hope for. My question is why should we merely stop at the material prosperity?  We should always hope and aim for the highest ideal and Mahabali's lesson was to attain that with the touch of the Lord's holy feet. That is the missing link in the popular story and I consider it as a real drawback.. I assure that it is not my concept at all. I shamelessly retold it from Bhagavatham.

I am still at a loss at the Kerala connection of Onam....Bhagavatham doesn't mention that.

hari OM!

sasnEham

Sukumar

NVP Menon <nvpmenon >[Guruvayur] navaneetham " guruvayur " <guruvayur@grou ps.com>

Received: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 3:23 PM

Dear GuruDevs,The new navaneetham, september issue has come out very nice again. Our Sunilji has done a great job.Thank you again.We are really happy to see our dear friend, ChandrshekharaMenon and his family..He is doing such an important job of moderating this site and kotiarchana giving opportunity for people like me to write the namajapam every day, giving us peace of mind.My friend, you are never a poojyam by yourself. Remember " Thou are that " You are 100% by yourself. We are very happy to see you as the Member of the month.congratulatio ns and keep up the good work. Thank you

In my opinion ,the best article was of our great Sastriji who explained the human life in such a simple terms. Thank you, Sastriji.I do have an issue with Sukumarji,s concept. I feel it is indeed very approprite to honour Mahabali one day,a king who is supposed to be an embodiment of goodness to the people of Kerala We cannot imagine to see such a great

king EVER. .We should not be looking into the historical accuracy of it. He was God,s favourite devotee anyway.We should remember we are also praying to Trikkakkara Appan who is Vamana moorthi during Onam. Hope Sukumarji will pardon me for writing this opinion. Your kavitha is as usual beautiful.Thank you.

with prayers,sreedevi Om Namo Narayanaya

-- कृषà¥à¤£à¥‡à¤¤à¤¿ मंगलमॠनाम यसà¥à¤¯ वाचि पà¥à¤°à¤µà¤°à¥à¤¤à¤¤à¥‡ |भसà¥à¤®à¥€à¤­à¤µà¤¨à¥à¤¤à¤¿ तसà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤¶à¥ महापातककोटयः ||  

Hari OM!Uncle ji aptly coined the term more-sing!. Some one actually called me "Sukumor Singh! (Vancouver is a place with a lot of Sardarjis..) Thank you for your kind words.Nagumo is a wonderful keerthanam. Sri Sankaran sang it for about 75 minutes. Wonderful rendition. His voice is also 'gambheeram' now, with full of bass. But the best Nagumo I have ever heard is a rendition by TV Sankaranarayanan - That was also long, about an hour - really superb. I really loved your 'made for each other' comment on Vamana and Mahabali- as my son would say, it is really "cool".best regards, prayers and love,Sukumar--- On Thu, 9/24/09, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] Re: Sukumarji - morsingguruvayur Received: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 11:02 AM

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Morsing means "Mor(e)sing", and so we should sing more to enjoy life and to be nearer God! Music takes us nearer to the Lord, as "Music" is a "sadhana" for gaining more and more Bhakti. And so far as I am concerned, "Nagumomu" is my favourite song, and any number of times I hear it, it is never boring. To hear it from Sankaran Namboodiri, accompanied by Sriram, Lakshmanan and dear Sukumarji is nothing but splendid. That percussion it starts with was excellent! I have been hearing this song ever since my boyhood days and I enjoy it so well every time I hear it...... and that part of the Charanam "Jagamele Paramaatma" makes my hair stand on ends!

present-day katcheris, and I used to wonder why the Lord made him a

boy! If he were a girl, that tender voice would have stayed with him

So far as we are concerned, let us sing more,----and- --more--- -and more----so as to gain more and more Bhakti------ if we are scared of the neighbours, there is a safe place called "Bathroom" in every house!

And let me assure, regarding Mahabali and Vamana, that they two were "made for each other". If there were no Mahabali, the Lord would not have incarnated as Vamana, and but for Vamana, Mahabali would not have attained that status and station of "Infinite Bliss" he is enjoying even today, and we on our part, would not have been enjoying our "ONAM". So both are adorable!

Loving regardsKVG,On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Veena Nair <veeus18 > wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya.Thanks Sukumarji for sharing the link; it is lovely. The morsing is an amazing instrument and you play it beautifully in the 'call and respond' portions with the tabla and the vocalist!

I had the good fortune to hear/see it played when an all woman ensemble (including Lalgudi Vijaylakshmi) from Chennai performed in Madison, WI. Is the morsing a lost art now being revived or is it a modern instrument gaining in popularity? Forgive my ignorance!

Pray that Guruvayurappan gives you more such opportunities to perform!Regards,Veena.--- On Wed, 9/23/09, Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ > wrote:

Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ >Re: [Guruvayur] about Onam &

Mahabali & clips of Onam concert...guruvayur@grou ps.comWednesday, September 23, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hari OM!Thank you for your note. I don't think we are having any differences in our opinions about the celebration of Onam at all. My interest is to ensure that the importance of Vamanavatharam is not to be forgotten as it is ignored in most 'janakeeya sahityams'. Infact Onam celebration is a major economic boost to Kerala and I can't imagine a Keralam without Onam celebrations.

As part of Onam celebration in Canada we had a series of Carnatic concerts by Sri Sankaran Namboodiri. He also sang some of my 'krithis' (or vikrithis..) I will post some when I get a clean copy. Please see an excerpt of "nagumo...." from

Namboodiri concert in Vancouver - parts in you tube http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=sad6pf01Duo

This is a clip from Sree Sankaran Namboodiri's Carnatic Classical concert in Vancouver. 4 Sept 2009. Sree Raman Iyer Violin; Sree M Lakshman- Mridangam; Dr. A. P. Sukumar, Morsing

hari

<nvpmenon > wrote:NVP Menon <nvpmenon >Re: [Guruvayur] navaneetham - about Onam & Mahabali

Dear Sukumarji,

sreedevi menon

Om Namo narayanaya

Hari OM! Hari OM!

hari OM!

sasnEham

Sukumar

NVP Menon <nvpmenon >[Guruvayur] navaneetham"guruvayur " <guruvayur@grou ps.com>

Dear GuruDevs,The new navaneetham, september issue has come out very nice again. Our Sunilji has done a great job.Thank you again.We are really happy to see our dear friend, ChandrshekharaMenon and his family..He is doing such an important job of moderating this site and kotiarchana giving opportunity for people like me to write the namajapam every day, giving us peace of mind.My friend, you are never a poojyam by yourself. Remember "Thou are that" You are 100% by yourself. We are very happy to see you as the Member of the month.congratulatio ns and keep up the good work. Thank you

In my opinion ,the best article was of our great Sastriji who explained the human life in such a simple terms. Thank you, Sastriji.I do have an issue with Sukumarji,s concept. I feel it is indeed very approprite to honour Mahabali one day,a king who is supposed to be an embodiment of goodness to the people of Kerala We cannot imagine to see such a great

king EVER. .We should not be looking into the historical accuracy of it. He was God,s favourite devotee anyway.We should remember we are also praying to Trikkakkara Appan who is Vamana moorthi during Onam. Hope Sukumarji will pardon me for writing this opinion. Your kavitha is as usual beautiful.Thank you.

-- कृषà¥à¤£à¥‡à¤¤à¤¿ मंगलमॠनाम यसà¥à¤¯ वाचि पà¥à¤°à¤µà¤°à¥à¤¤à¤¤à¥‡ |भसà¥à¤®à¥€à¤­à¤µà¤¨à¥à¤¤à¤¿ तसà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤¶à¥ महापातककोटयः ||

Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Dear Dr. Sukumarji,Radhe Krishna!There is no one in this world (except Aurangazeb perhaps) who dont get enthralled by good music.  And i am immensely happy that you are one of the best gifted ones.   That is why you are having association with people like Sankaran Namboodiri.

I used to like very much, the katcheris performed by my old class-mate and friend, R. Prabhakara Varma.   I dont know whether his recordings are available anywhere.  When I was in Chennai till five years ago, whenever he was performing there, he used to invite me, and I used to be one of the front-liners..  Now I hear that he passed away.

Wish you many many decades of good music, which, as a sadhana for Bhakti, increases our love to the Lord.Loving regardsKVG.   On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Sukumar <sukumarcanada wrote:

Hari OM!Uncle ji aptly coined the term more-sing!. Some one actually called me " Sukumor Singh! (Vancouver is a place with a lot of Sardarjis..) Thank you for your kind words.Nagumo is a wonderful keerthanam. Sri Sankaran sang it for about 75 minutes. Wonderful rendition. His voice is also 'gambheeram' now, with full of bass. But the best Nagumo I have ever heard is a rendition by TV Sankaranarayanan - That was also long, about an hour - really superb. 

I really loved your 'made for each other' comment on Vamana and Mahabali- as my son would say, it is really " cool " .best regards, prayers and love,

Sukumar--- On Thu, 9/24/09, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] Re: Sukumarji - morsingguruvayur

Received: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 11:02 AM

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Morsing means " Mor(e)sing " , and so we should sing more to enjoy life and to be nearer God!   Music takes us nearer to the Lord, as " Music " is a " sadhana " for gaining more and more Bhakti.   And so far as I am concerned, " Nagumomu "   is my favourite song, and any number of times I hear it, it is never boring.   To hear it from Sankaran Namboodiri, accompanied by Sriram, Lakshmanan and dear Sukumarji is nothing but splendid.  That percussion it starts with was excellent!  I have been hearing this song ever since my boyhood days and I enjoy it so well every time I hear it...... and that part of the Charanam " Jagamele Paramaatma " makes my hair stand on ends!

present-day katcheris,  and I used to wonder why the Lord made him a

boy!   If he were a girl, that tender voice would have stayed with him

So far as we are concerned, let us sing more,----and- --more--- -and more----so as to gain more and more Bhakti------ if we are scared of the neighbours, there is a safe place called " Bathroom " in every house!

And let me assure, regarding Mahabali and Vamana,  that they two were " made for each other " .  If there were no Mahabali, the Lord would not have incarnated as Vamana, and but for Vamana, Mahabali would not have attained that status and station of " Infinite Bliss " he is enjoying even today, and we on our part, would not have been enjoying our " ONAM " .  So both are adorable!

Loving regardsKVG,On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Veena Nair <veeus18 > wrote:

Pray that Guruvayurappan gives you more such opportunities to perform!Regards,Veena.--- On Wed, 9/23/09, Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ > wrote:

Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ >

Re: [Guruvayur] about Onam &

As part of Onam celebration in Canada we had a series of Carnatic concerts by Sri Sankaran Namboodiri. He also sang some of my 'krithis' (or vikrithis..) I will post some when I get a clean copy. Please see an excerpt of " nagumo.... " from

Namboodiri concert in Vancouver - parts in you tube http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=sad6pf01Duo

hari

Dear Sukumarji,

I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I do not want to enter into a controversy. I agree with you about what is written in Bhagavatham. But I do not think there is any harm in honouring a   benevolent king.  I do not know when this celebration of Onam was started. I know it was there when I was born 70years ago.By doing this celebration,  we are not dishonouring Vamanamoorthi either. We are doing the pooja to Vamana at the same time too.I do not know about historical accuracy . But I know there is a prathishta of Vamana in Trikkakkara and there is a place called PAthAlam near Alwaye too .

sreedevi menon

Om Namo narayanaya

Hari OM! Hari OM!

I hope I haven't made anyone uneasy by writing the " mahabali chinthakal " . What I did was to quote Bhagavatham to restate the story of mahabali and to show how the modern interpretation of the " chathi " by Mahavishnu (i.e., the Lord's deceitful action) is against the real import of the legend. I am also a real admirer of Mahabali as a king and an ideal bhaktha . But Lord Vishnu showed him the path which is really at a higher realm we can only hope for. My question is why should we merely stop at the material prosperity?  We should always hope and aim for the highest ideal and Mahabali's lesson was to attain that with the touch of the Lord's holy feet. That is the missing link in the popular story and I consider it as a real drawback.. I assure that it is not my concept at all. I shamelessly retold it from Bhagavatham.

I am still at a loss at the Kerala connection of Onam....Bhagavatham doesn't mention that.

hari OM!

sasnEham

Sukumar

NVP Menon <nvpmenon >[Guruvayur] navaneetham " guruvayur " <guruvayur@grou ps.com>

Dear GuruDevs,The new navaneetham, september issue has come out very nice again. Our Sunilji has done a great job.Thank you again.We are really happy to see our dear friend, ChandrshekharaMenon and his family..He is doing such an important job of moderating this site and kotiarchana giving opportunity for people like me to write the namajapam every day, giving us peace of mind.My friend, you are never a poojyam by yourself. Remember " Thou are that " You are 100% by yourself. We are very happy to see you as the Member of the month.congratulatio ns and keep up the good work. Thank you

Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Respected KVJ ji,

Glad to know about your association with Sree Prabhakaravarama. He has taught almost all the prominent musicians in Kerala including Shanakaran Namboothiri. He was a great composer ,having composed all of Thulaseevanam,s krithis and did the mettu of many Swathithirunal krithi,s in addition to his own.

.. He was such a humble man even with all his expertise. We were fortunate to be introduced to him when my husband, Narayanan Menon , who wrote songs about Guruvayurappan (after he became 60 years old,)! requested Sree Varma to do the tuning of his songs..He could not do much because of his illness, but we were fortunate to get one song done by him. He told my husband who is a novice, not to give up and never to allow the musicians to change the raga in which my husband has originally written, since the bhava will change.We value his blessings very much.

May Guruvayurappan bless our dear Sukumarji in his musical expertise and spiritual progress.

with prayerful regards,

sreedevi Menon

Om Namo Narayanaya

--- On Thu, 9/24/09, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] Re: Sukumarji - morsingguruvayur Date: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 8:44 PM

Dear Dr. Sukumarji,Radhe Krishna!There is no one in this world (except Aurangazeb perhaps) who dont get enthralled by good music. And i am immensely happy that you are one of the best gifted ones. That is why you are having association with people like Sankaran Namboodiri.I used to like very much, the katcheris performed by my old class-mate and friend, R. Prabhakara Varma. I dont know whether his recordings are available anywhere. When I was in Chennai till five years ago, whenever he was performing there, he used to invite me, and I used to be one of the front-liners. . Now I hear that he passed away.Wish you many many decades of good music, which, as a sadhana for Bhakti, increases our love to the Lord.Loving regardsKVG.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ > wrote:

Hari OM!

Uncle ji aptly coined the term more-sing!. Some one actually called me "Sukumor Singh! (Vancouver is a place with a lot of Sardarjis..) Thank you for your kind words.

Nagumo is a wonderful keerthanam. Sri Sankaran sang it for about 75 minutes. Wonderful rendition. His voice is also 'gambheeram' now, with full of bass. But the best Nagumo I have ever heard is a rendition by TV Sankaranarayanan - That was also long, about an hour - really superb.

I really loved your 'made for each other' comment on Vamana and Mahabali- as my son would say, it is really "cool".

best regards, prayers and love,

Sukumar--- On Thu, 9/24/09, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com>Re: [Guruvayur] Re: Sukumarji - morsingguruvayur@grou ps.comReceived: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 11:02 AM

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Morsing means "Mor(e)sing", and so we should sing more to enjoy life and to be nearer God! Music takes us nearer to the Lord, as "Music" is a "sadhana" for gaining more and more Bhakti. And so far as I am concerned, "Nagumomu" is my favourite song, and any number of times I hear it, it is never boring. To hear it from Sankaran Namboodiri, accompanied by Sriram, Lakshmanan and dear Sukumarji is nothing but splendid. That percussion it starts with was excellent! I have been hearing this song ever since my boyhood days and I enjoy it so well every time I hear it...... and that part of the Charanam "Jagamele Paramaatma" makes my hair stand on ends! I have some recordings of Sankaran Namboodiri which he had done as a small boy, and I still relish them so well, even more than his present-day katcheris, and I used to wonder why the Lord made him a

boy! If he were a girl, that tender voice would have stayed with him and it would have been much more enjoyable!So far as we are concerned, let us sing more,----and- --more--- -and more----so as to gain more and more Bhakti------ if we are scared of the neighbours, there is a safe place called "Bathroom" in every house!And let me assure, regarding Mahabali and Vamana, that they two were "made for each other". If there were no Mahabali, the Lord would not have incarnated as Vamana, and but for Vamana, Mahabali would not have attained that status and station of "Infinite Bliss" he is enjoying even today, and we on our part, would not have been enjoying our "ONAM". So both are adorable!Loving regardsKVG,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Veena Nair <veeus18 > wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya.Thanks Sukumarji for sharing the link; it is lovely. The morsing is an amazing instrument and you play it beautifully in the 'call and respond' portions with the tabla and the vocalist!I had the good fortune to hear/see it played when an all woman ensemble (including Lalgudi Vijaylakshmi) from Chennai performed in Madison, WI. Is the morsing a lost art now being revived or is it a modern instrument gaining in popularity? Forgive my ignorance!Pray that Guruvayurappan gives you more such opportunities to perform!Regards,Veena.--- On Wed, 9/23/09, Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ > wrote:

Sukumar <sukumarcanada@ >Re: [Guruvayur] about Onam & Mahabali & clips of Onam concert...guruvayur@grou ps.com

Wednesday, September 23, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hari OM!

Thank you for your note. I don't think we are having any differences in our opinions about the celebration of Onam at all. My interest is to ensure that the importance of Vamanavatharam is not to be forgotten as it is ignored in most 'janakeeya sahityams'. Infact Onam celebration is a major economic boost to Kerala and I can't imagine a Keralam without Onam celebrations.

As part of Onam celebration in Canada we had a series of Carnatic concerts by Sri Sankaran Namboodiri. He also sang some of my 'krithis' (or vikrithis..) I will post some when I get a clean copy. Please see an excerpt of "nagumo...." from the Vancouver concert. I have also taken part in it.

Shankaran Namboodiri concert in Vancouver - parts in you tube

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=sad6pf01Duo

hari OM!

Sukumar

--- On Tue, 9/22/09, NVP Menon <nvpmenon > wrote:

NVP Menon <nvpmenon >Re: [Guruvayur] navaneetham - about Onam & Mahabaliguruvayur@grou ps.comReceived: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 3:25 AM

Dear Sukumarji,

sreedevi menon

Om Namo narayanaya

Hari OM! Hari OM! I read Smt. Sreedevi ji's mail regarding my article in Navaneetham about Mahabali. Thank you for your remarks and sorry for the delay in reply. I was away at a conference.

hari OM!

sasnEham

Sukumar