IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Guru, real burning lamp

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hari OM!I am also an ardent follower of Nochur ji's Bhagavatham and it is filling and fullfilling my trips to office and back! He explains all the difficult concepts so easily!. This evening on the way home I was listening to the 11th Skandham Wow! Real satsangam! In the guise of Hamsam, the Lord is advising Sanatkumaras....even they had doubts,, :-) Thank you for sharing your thoughts.Hari OM!Sukumar--- On Thu, 9/24/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Guru, real burning lampReceived: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 10:15 AM

Dear all,

I want to share what I heard when I had the good fortune to listen to the Bhagavatha Sapthaaham by Brahmasri Nochur Venkitaraman. In this he compares a qualified Guru to a burning lamp. Other spiritual ly inclined individuals may be compared to good pictures of the lamp or even to a computer generated virtual 3-D lamp. (Nochurji did not say this example. He just compared a real Guru to a lamp and others to a picture of the lamp.)

We can light other lamps only from a lamp which has an actual burning flame. We can light thousands and thousands of lamps from one burning lamp. A Guru is a person who has removed the veil of Maya and has realized the glowing presence of the flame of the knowledge of Brahmam or Paramaathma chaithanyam in his heart. That chaithanyam may leave the worn out body of Guru when the praarabdha karma of that body is ceased, but it will spread the same radiance to devotees, generations after generations. This is possible only with a real Guru. Examples are Shankarachaarya, Saint Ramanuja, Madhvaachaarya, Sree Rama Krishna Paramahamsa, Ramana Maharshi etc.etc.

Many Gurus are like the burning lamps in 3-D movie or pictures and appear to be real.This virtual lamp cannot light any other lamp however realistic it may appear. We can like the 3-D movie lamp, or a perfect picture of the lamp, look at it, appreciate saying how realistic it looks until we shut down the projector or TV or until the picture become old and torn out. But we can never light another lamp from that virtual lamp or picture.

In Sri Aurobindo'd words: "A Guru is a channel, a vessel or a representative of the Divine. He is a man helping his brothers, a child leading children, a Light kindling other lights, an awakened Soul awakening souls, at highest a Power or Presence of the Divine calling to him other powers of the Divine."

Nochurji's thought provoking discourses are also very inspiring.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Dear Savitriji,

The comparison of a Guru to a lamp from which other

lamps are lit is very good and is well known. However, Shri Sankaracharya goes

further and says, in the first sloka of his work Satasloki, that there is

nothing in all the three worlds that can be compared to a Sadguru, that is, a

Guru who imparts Atmavidya. He considers the suggestion that such a Guru can be

compared to the legendary philosopher’s stone which is said to have the power

to convert a piece of iron into gold. But he concludes that even this

comparison is not apt, because, while the Sadguru converts his disciple into

another Sadguru like himself, the philosopher’s stone cannot convert a piece of

iron into another philosopher’s stone like itself. Thus there is nothing that can be compared to the Sadguru.

S.N.Sastri

--- On Thu, 9/24/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Guru, real burning lampThursday, September 24, 2009, 3:45 PM

Dear all,

I want to share what I heard when I had the good fortune to listen to the Bhagavatha Sapthaaham by Brahmasri Nochur Venkitaraman. In this he compares a qualified Guru to a burning lamp. Other spiritual ly inclined individuals may be compared to good pictures of the lamp or even to a computer generated virtual 3-D lamp. (Nochurji did not say this example. He just compared a real Guru to a lamp and others to a picture of the lamp.)

We can light other lamps only from a lamp which has an actual burning flame. We can light thousands and thousands of lamps from one burning lamp. A Guru is a person who has removed the veil of Maya and has realized the glowing presence of the flame of the knowledge of Brahmam or Paramaathma chaithanyam in his heart. That chaithanyam may leave the worn out body of Guru when the praarabdha karma of that body is ceased, but it will spread the same radiance to devotees, generations after generations. This is possible only with a real Guru. Examples are Shankarachaarya, Saint Ramanuja, Madhvaachaarya, Sree Rama Krishna Paramahamsa, Ramana Maharshi etc.etc.

Many Gurus are like the burning lamps in 3-D movie or pictures and appear to be real.This virtual lamp cannot light any other lamp however realistic it may appear. We can like the 3-D movie lamp, or a perfect picture of the lamp, look at it, appreciate saying how realistic it looks until we shut down the projector or TV or until the picture become old and torn out. But we can never light another lamp from that virtual lamp or picture.

In Sri Aurobindo'd words: "A Guru is a channel, a vessel or a representative of the Divine. He is a man helping his brothers, a child leading children, a Light kindling other lights, an awakened Soul awakening souls, at highest a Power or Presence of the Divine calling to him other powers of the Divine."

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Dear and respected Sastriji,

Thank you for introducing me to Shathasloki through the philosopher's stone. I have never heard of this before and this encourages me to read the Shatasloki. If it is not too much trouble, can I get the link for your interpretation of Shatasloki? I vaguely remember seeing one interpretation in Kanchi Kamakoti site. Is that the one translated by you? When you are free, I would greatly appreciate if you could send me the link.

My vineetha pranaamam at your feet.

Respectful regards and prayers

Savitri

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Nilakantan sastri <snsastri wrote:

Dear Savitriji,

The comparison of a Guru to a lamp from which other lamps are lit is very good and is well known. However, Shri Sankaracharya goes further and says, in the first sloka of his work Satasloki, that there is nothing in all the three worlds that can be compared to a Sadguru, that is, a Guru who imparts Atmavidya. He considers the suggestion that such a Guru can be compared to the legendary philosopher’s stone which is said to have the power to convert a piece of iron into gold. But he concludes that even this comparison is not apt, because, while the Sadguru converts his disciple into another Sadguru like himself, the philosopher’s stone cannot convert a piece of iron into another philosopher’s stone like itself.  Thus there is nothing that can be compared to the Sadguru.

S.N.Sastri   

--- On Thu, 9/24/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Guru, real burning lampThursday, September 24, 2009, 3:45 PM

Dear all,

I want to share what I heard when I had the good fortune to listen to the Bhagavatha Sapthaaham by Brahmasri Nochur Venkitaraman. In this he compares a qualified Guru to a burning lamp. Other spiritual ly inclined individuals may be compared to  good pictures of the lamp or even to a computer generated virtual 3-D lamp. (Nochurji did not say this example. He just compared a real Guru to a lamp and others to a picture of the lamp.)

We can light other lamps only from a lamp which has an actual  burning flame. We can light thousands and thousands of lamps from one burning lamp. A Guru is a person who has removed the veil of Maya and has realized the glowing presence of the flame of the knowledge of Brahmam or Paramaathma chaithanyam in his heart. That chaithanyam may leave the worn out body of Guru when the praarabdha karma of that body is ceased, but it will spread the same radiance to devotees, generations after generations. This is possible only with a real Guru.  Examples are Shankarachaarya, Saint Ramanuja, Madhvaachaarya, Sree Rama Krishna Paramahamsa, Ramana Maharshi etc.etc.

Many Gurus are like the burning lamps in 3-D movie or pictures and appear to be real.This virtual lamp cannot light any other lamp however realistic it may appear. We can like the 3-D movie lamp, or a perfect picture of the lamp, look at it, appreciate saying how realistic it looks until we shut down the projector or TV or until the picture become old and torn out. But we can never light another lamp from that virtual lamp or picture. 

In Sri Aurobindo'd words: " A Guru is a channel, a vessel or a representative of the Divine. He is a man helping his brothers, a child leading children, a Light kindling other lights, an awakened Soul awakening souls, at highest a Power or Presence of the Divine calling to him other powers of the Divine. "

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Dear Savitriji,My translation of the entire satasloki is available at my websitewww.geocities.com/snsastriand also on www.celextel.org S.N.Sastri--- On Fri, 9/25/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Guru, real burning lampguruvayur Date: Friday, September 25, 2009, 10:19 PM

Dear and respected Sastriji,

Thank you for introducing me to Shathasloki through the philosopher's stone. I have never heard of this before and this encourages me to read the Shatasloki. If it is not too much trouble, can I get the link for your interpretation of Shatasloki? I vaguely remember seeing one interpretation in Kanchi Kamakoti site. Is that the one translated by you? When you are free, I would greatly appreciate if you could send me the link.

My vineetha pranaamam at your feet.

Respectful regards and prayers

Savitri

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Nilakantan sastri <snsastri > wrote:

Dear Savitriji,

The comparison of a Guru to a lamp from which other lamps are lit is very good and is well known. However, Shri Sankaracharya goes further and says, in the first sloka of his work Satasloki, that there is nothing in all the three worlds that can be compared to a Sadguru, that is, a Guru who imparts Atmavidya. He considers the suggestion that such a Guru can be compared to the legendary philosopher’s stone which is said to have the power to convert a piece of iron into gold. But he concludes that even this comparison is not apt, because, while the Sadguru converts his disciple into another Sadguru like himself, the philosopher’s stone cannot convert a piece of iron into another philosopher’s stone like itself. Thus there is nothing that can be compared to the Sadguru.

S.N.Sastri

--- On Thu, 9/24/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Guru, real burning lampThursday, September 24, 2009, 3:45 PM

Dear all,

Regards and prayers

Savitri