IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Sanyaasam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

True sanyaasam is abhorrence of ego. But is there a step before the annihilation of ego through which one progresses to a true sanyasi? Some knowledgeable people say " yes " and this answer is a boon to householders or grihasthaas who are trying to advance spiritually.

We can see Sanyaasam in two stages:

1. Baahya sanyaasam or Outward asceticism

2. Aantharika sanyaasam or Inner asceticism or Parama sanyasam

In the baahya sanyasam, one has to annihilate the thought of " mine " . For example, it is " my house, my wife, my children, even my body " . But how can we annihilate the " mine " attitude? This " mine " attitude experiences a slow death as we progress in surrendering one by one at Bhagavaan's feet.

About " my house " - Imagine that the house is leased to us by Bhagavan and any time he can take it away from us. Now, " my " children " - Bhagavaan blessed us to have the children and gave us a chance to love them, take care of them and bring them up to a stage where they are able to stand on their own feet. But they actually belong to Bhagavaan and He alone took care of them using us as His instruments.

To sincerely surrender even one item may take years and years , but many devotees and self-realized seers promise that constant effort will lead us to that attitude. As we surrender one by one, our capability to surrender surpasses our capability to own and progress becomes significant. When we are able to annihilate most of the " mine " attitude in the midst of our family and friends, we become a Baahya sanyaasi.

This baahya sanyasi will progress slowly to a Parama saynayasi by annihilating " I' or " ego " . Even then one can live in society. When the annihilation of ego is complete, one becomes Jeevan muktha. Janaka Maharaj lived and ruled Mithila and he was a Jeevan muktha. He lived until the results of the praarabdha karma of that body was experienced and exhausted. But nothing bothered him. He lived like a lotus leaf in water meaning the leaf would never become wet by the water around!

But how many Jeevan mukthas are there? Very very few. Understanding the literal meaning only makes us scholars. When we apply that to life we graduate to the first stage of sanyasam. For ordinary people like us, it may take several janmaas even to have sincere desire to annihilate " I and mine " .

Let the effulgence of Bhagavaan's presence remove all the darkness with in our mind and make our spiritual journey enjoyable and fruitful.

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear Savitri ji,

Very Interesting. The second para about "my house" ... is really nice. If we start thinking the same way every day, i feel, it will surely make great changes in our way of thinking about our materialistic life. Thank you.Geetha Nair--- On Wed, 30/9/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- SanyaasamWednesday, 30 September, 2009, 3:43 PM

Dear all,

True sanyaasam is abhorrence of ego. But is there a step before the annihilation of ego through which one progresses to a true sanyasi? Some knowledgeable people say "yes" and this answer is a boon to householders or grihasthaas who are trying to advance spiritually.

In the baahya sanyasam, one has to annihilate the thought of "mine". For example, it is "my house, my wife, my children, even my body". But how can we annihilate the "mine "attitude? This "mine" attitude experiences a slow death as we progress in surrendering one by one at Bhagavaan's feet.

About "my house"- Imagine that the house is leased to us by Bhagavan and any time he can take it away from us. Now, "my"children" - Bhagavaan blessed us to have the children and gave us a chance to love them, take care of them and bring them up to a stage where they are able to stand on their own feet. But they actually belong to Bhagavaan and He alone took care of them using us as His instruments.

To sincerely surrender even one item may take years and years , but many devotees and self-realized seers promise that constant effort will lead us to that attitude. As we surrender one by one, our capability to surrender surpasses our capability to own and progress becomes significant. When we are able to annihilate most of the "mine " attitude in the midst of our family and friends, we become a Baahya sanyaasi.

This baahya sanyasi will progress slowly to a Parama saynayasi by annihilating "I' or "ego". Even then one can live in society. When the annihilation of ego is complete, one becomes Jeevan muktha. Janaka Maharaj lived and ruled Mithila and he was a Jeevan muktha. He lived until the results of the praarabdha karma of that body was experienced and exhausted. But nothing bothered him. He lived like a lotus leaf in water meaning the leaf would never become wet by the water around!

But how many Jeevan mukthas are there? Very very few. Understanding the literal meaning only makes us scholars. When we apply that to life we graduate to the first stage of sanyasam. For ordinary people like us, it may take several janmaas even to have sincere desire to annihilate "I and mine".

Let the effulgence of Bhagavaan's presence remove all the darkness with in our mind and make our spiritual journey enjoyable and fruitful.

Regards an dprayers

savitri

From cricket scores to your friends. Try the India Homepage!

Om Namo Narayanaya

Shrimathy Savithri Puram,

Yes, I totally agree that we need several janmas to grasp the "desire" to "annihilate" the "I" and "mine" attitude. But having got the golden opportunity of a "human" life now after many cycles, why cannot we use this life itself to reach that level? We all say openly or "outwardly" all belongs to HIM, but do we mean it internally? Once that concept is installed in our "mind", it is easier to discard all material objects and still can live in the midst of a family or a society. Nothing is impossible for "Humans". Some one said "I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do."

By reciting nama japam alone we can do something and by doing this we will be purified and can attain that we think is non attainable.

Om Namo Narayanaya

Chandrasekharan

"live and let live"

"They alone live who live for others, rest are more dead than alive"

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramWednesday, September 30, 2009 5:13:00 AM[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sanyaasam

Dear all,

True sanyaasam is abhorrence of ego. But is there a step before the annihilation of ego through which one progresses to a true sanyasi? Some knowledgeable people say "yes" and this answer is a boon to householders or grihasthaas who are trying to advance spiritually.

In the baahya sanyasam, one has to annihilate the thought of "mine". For example, it is "my house, my wife, my children, even my body". But how can we annihilate the "mine "attitude? This "mine" attitude experiences a slow death as we progress in surrendering one by one at Bhagavaan's feet.

About "my house"- Imagine that the house is leased to us by Bhagavan and any time he can take it away from us. Now, "my"children" - Bhagavaan blessed us to have the children and gave us a chance to love them, take care of them and bring them up to a stage where they are able to stand on their own feet. But they actually belong to Bhagavaan and He alone took care of them using us as His instruments.

To sincerely surrender even one item may take years and years , but many devotees and self-realized seers promise that constant effort will lead us to that attitude. As we surrender one by one, our capability to surrender surpasses our capability to own and progress becomes significant. When we are able to annihilate most of the "mine " attitude in the midst of our family and friends, we become a Baahya sanyaasi.

This baahya sanyasi will progress slowly to a Parama saynayasi by annihilating "I' or "ego". Even then one can live in society. When the annihilation of ego is complete, one becomes Jeevan muktha. Janaka Maharaj lived and ruled Mithila and he was a Jeevan muktha. He lived until the results of the praarabdha karma of that body was experienced and exhausted. But nothing bothered him. He lived like a lotus leaf in water meaning the leaf would never become wet by the water around!

But how many Jeevan mukthas are there? Very very few. Understanding the literal meaning only makes us scholars. When we apply that to life we graduate to the first stage of sanyasam. For ordinary people like us, it may take several janmaas even to have sincere desire to annihilate "I and mine".

Regards an dprayers

savitri