IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Richness of Purandara Dasa

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

Great devotee and singer Purandara dasa was spiritually very rich, but his material possessions were very few or in the material sense he was very poor. One day, a rich man came to him and this conversation followed their meeting.

Rich man: Respected sir, I really love your songs and you are such a great devotee. But why is it that you do not have enough money even to make a living? Is God so unkind? I came here to help you with some money very much needed by you. Even though God's kindness is not flowing towards you, please accept my kindness!

Purandara Das: Who told you that I am a poor man? I am not a poor man because Bhagavan who possesses unlimited knowledge, energy, strength, opulence, heroism, and splendor and who is beginnigless and endless, lives in my heart. So I possess the richest possession one can ever possess and nobody can take it away from me. Sir, I have to add one more thing here. Also I belong to Him. This means I live with Him who has everything one could wish for. So please do not call me a poor man and extend your help to somebody who thinks he is poor, not to somebody you think is poor.

Vipado Naiva Vipada:, Sampado Naiva Sampada: !Vipad Vismaranam Vishno: sampad Narayana smruthi

Prosperity is remembrance of the Lord and calamity is forgetting Him and what we think calamity is not calamity and what we think prosperity is not prosperity.

Regards an dprayers

Savitri

Purandara was very rich originally and was known as Navakoti Narayana. His wife was a devotee of the Lord and regeretted that he husband was money minded and a miser. the Lord heard her prayers and due tothe poorvajnamapunya of Purndara, came to his moneylending shop as a brahmin with a boy and asked him for money to perform upanayanam for his son. navakoti Narayana refused and sent him away. Then the brahmin went to his wife and asked her the same and she gave her diomond h nosering to the brahmin. He took it to Navakoti Naryana and asked him to have that as mortgage and give the money. Purandara recognized it as that of his wife and asked th abrahmin to wait and went home and asked hios wife to get the nosering. She was petrified because she knew that he would get very angry if he knew the truth and hence she went inside as though to bring it and tried

to drink poison . qwhen she lifted the cup to her lips she found thesame nose ring there and joyfully thanking the Lord brought it to him. he was surprised and went to the shop and saw his bo0x where he kept the jewel and locked it and it was not there.H easked the brahmin where he came from and he said heo would show his house and followed by Purandara went into the temple of Vittla and disappeared. Then Navakoti Nrayana became Purandaradasa and giving away all his wealth he started going from plavce to place singing th glory of The Lord.saroja Ramanujam . Dr. SarojaRamanujam , M.A., Ph.D, sanskritsiromanireply to sarojram18 and to get the previous posts--- On Sat, 10/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Richness of Purandara DasaSaturday, October 3, 2009, 3:20 PM

Dear all,

Great devotee and singer Purandara dasa was spiritually very rich, but his material possessions were very few or in the material sense he was very poor. One day, a rich man came to him and this conversation followed their meeting.

Rich man: Respected sir, I really love your songs and you are such a great devotee. But why is it that you do not have enough money even to make a living? Is God so unkind? I came here to help you with some money very much needed by you. Even though God's kindness is not flowing towards you, please accept my kindness!

Purandara Das: Who told you that I am a poor man? I am not a poor man because Bhagavan who possesses unlimited knowledge, energy, strength, opulence, heroism, and splendor and who is beginnigless and endless, lives in my heart. So I possess the richest possession one can ever possess and nobody can take it away from me. Sir, I have to add one more thing here. Also I belong to Him. This means I live with Him who has everything one could wish for. So please do not call me a poor man and extend your help to somebody who thinks he is poor, not to somebody you think is poor.

Vipado Naiva Vipada:, Sampado Naiva Sampada: !Vipad Vismaranam Vishno: sampad Narayana smruthi

Prosperity is remembrance of the Lord and calamity is forgetting Him and what we think calamity is not calamity and what we think prosperity is not prosperity.

Regards an dprayers

Savitri

This reminds me of Satguru Thyagaraja Swami's Song in Kalyani:Nidhi saala sukhama Rama Nee Sannadhi Sukhama.Thanks Savithriji for taking my mind to the level of the holy feet of those Mahanubhavas!Hantha Bhagyam Jananam!--- On Sat, 10/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Richness of Purandara DasaSaturday, October 3, 2009, 2:50 AM

Dear all,

Regards an dprayers

Savitri

Dear ans respected Sarojaji,Thank you very much for the wonderful story of Purandara Dasa. I did not know that he was rich to start with. This makes it all the more interesting.Regards an dprayers

SavitriOn Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 wrote:

Purandara was very rich originally and was known as Navakoti Narayana.  His wife was a devotee of the Lord and regeretted that he husband was money minded and a miser. the Lord heard her prayers and due tothe poorvajnamapunya of Purndara, came to his moneylending shop as a brahmin with a boy and asked him for money to perform upanayanam for his son. navakoti Narayana refused and sent him away. Then the brahmin went to his wife and asked her the same and she gave her diomond h nosering to the brahmin. He took it to Navakoti Naryana and asked him to have that as mortgage and give the money. Purandara recognized it as that of his wife and asked th abrahmin to wait and went home and asked hios wife to get the nosering. She was petrified because she knew that he would get very angry if he knew the truth and hence she went inside as though to bring it and tried

to drink poison . qwhen she lifted the cup to her lips she found thesame nose ring there and joyfully thanking the Lord brought it to him. he was surprised and went to the shop and saw his bo0x where he kept the jewel and locked it and it was not there.H easked the brahmin where he came from and he said heo would show his house and followed by Purandara went into the temple of Vittla and disappeared. Then Navakoti Nrayana became Purandaradasa and giving away all his wealth he started going from plavce to place singing th glory of The Lord.

saroja Ramanujam        

.  Dr. SarojaRamanujam , M.A., Ph.D, sanskritsiromani

reply to sarojram18 and to get the previous posts--- On Sat, 10/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Richness of Purandara Dasa

Saturday, October 3, 2009, 3:20 PM

Dear all,

Regards an dprayers

Savitri

Respected Members, Some more facts about Sri. Purandara Dasa

1. Composed close to 5,00,000 songs of which only a few thousand remain. Only great souls with special blessings from Lord Shri Hari can compose this many number of songs in a single life span.

2. Father of modern carnatic music.

3. He is Amsha of Naradha

4. Sri Vyasarayar (a saint of Sri Madhwa order) was his perceptor

5. Founder of Dasa movement in karnataka and Kannada Haridasa literature

6. Through his songs he brought in messages from Vedas, puranas, etc in simple kannada

7. He has travelled all over india to spread bhakti movement.

8. Following his vision many more Hari dasas like Kanaka dasaru, Vijaya dasaru, Gopala dasuru spread the bhakti movement.

Regards

Prakash--- On Sat, 10/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Richness of Purandara Dasaguruvayur Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 2:34 PM

Dear ans respected Sarojaji,Thank you very much for the wonderful story of Purandara Dasa. I did not know that he was rich to start with. This makes it all the more interesting.Regards an dprayersSavitri

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 > wrote:

Purandara was very rich originally and was known as Navakoti Narayana. His wife was a devotee of the Lord and regeretted that he husband was money minded and a miser. the Lord heard her prayers and due tothe poorvajnamapunya of Purndara, came to his moneylending shop as a brahmin with a boy and asked him for money to perform upanayanam for his son. navakoti Narayana refused and sent him away. Then the brahmin went to his wife and asked her the same and she gave her diomond h nosering to the brahmin. He took it to Navakoti Naryana and asked him to have that as mortgage and give the money. Purandara recognized it as that of his wife and asked th abrahmin to wait and went home and asked hios wife to get the nosering. She was petrified because she knew that he would get very angry if he knew the truth and hence she went inside as though to bring it and tried

to drink poison . qwhen she lifted the cup to her lips she found thesame nose ring there and joyfully thanking the Lord brought it to him. he was surprised and went to the shop and saw his bo0x where he kept the jewel and locked it and it was not there.H easked the brahmin where he came from and he said heo would show his house and followed by Purandara went into the temple of Vittla and disappeared. Then Navakoti Nrayana became Purandaradasa and giving away all his wealth he started going from plavce to place singing th glory of The Lord.saroja Ramanujam

Dr. SarojaRamanujam , M.A., Ph.D, sanskritsiromani

reply to sarojram18 (AT) gmail (DOT) com and to get the previous posts--- On Sat, 10/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Richness of Purandara DasaSaturday, October 3, 2009, 3:20 PM

Dear all,

Prosperity is remembrance of the Lord and calamity is forgetting Him and what we think calamity is not calamity and what we think prosperity is not prosperity. Regards an dprayers

Savitri