IndiaDivine.org

Fw: Inspiring Story: A Guy who got into Google job

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear friends,

This is an inspiring story, of a young man who became successful with God's Grace .

sreedevi

Om Namo Narayanaya

--- :

Unbelievable, a great achievement.

Naga Naresh Karutura has just passed out of IIT Madras in Computer Science and has joined Google in Bangalore.

You may ask, what's so special about this 21-year-old when there are hundreds of students passing out from various IITs and joining big companies like Google?

Naresh is special. His parents are illiterate. He has no legs and moves around in his powered wheel chair. (In fact, when I could not locate his lab, he told me over the mobile phone, 'I will come and pick you up'. And in no time, he was there to guide me)

Ever smiling, optimistic and full of spirit; that is Naresh. He says, "God has always been planning things for me. That is why I feel I am lucky."

Read why Naresh feels he is lucky.

Childhood in a villageI spent the first seven years of my life in Teeparru, a small village in Andhra Pradesh, on the banks of the river Godavari. My father Prasad was a lorry driver and my mother Kumari, a house wife. Though they were illiterate, my parents instilled in me and my elder sister (Sirisha) the importance of studying.

Looking back, one thing that surprises me now is the way my father taught me when I was in the 1st and 2nd standards. My father would ask me questions from the text book, and I would answer them. At that time, I didn't know he could not read or write but to make me happy, he helped me in my studies!

Another memory that doesn't go away is the floods in the village and how I was carried on top of a buffalo by my uncle. I also remember plucking fruits from a tree that was full of thorns.

I used to be very naughty, running around and playing all the time with my friends.. I used to get a lot of scolding for disturbing the elders who slept in the afternoon. The moment they started scolding, I would run away to the fields!

I also remember finishing my school work fast in class and sleeping on the teacher's lap!

January 11, 1993, the fateful dayOn the January 11, 1993 when we had the sankranti holidays, my mother took my sister and me to a nearby village for a family function. From there we were to go with our grandmother to our native place. But my grandmother did not come there. As there were no buses that day, my mother took a lift in my father's friend's lorry. As there were many people in the lorry, he made me sit next to him, close to the door.

It was my fault; I fiddled with the door latch and it opened wide throwing me out. As I fell, my legs got cut by the iron rods protruding from the lorry. Nothing happened to me except scratches on my legs.

The accident had happened just in front of a big private hospital but they refused to treat me saying it was an accident case. Then a police constable who was passing by took us to a government hospital.

First I underwent an operation as my small intestine got twisted. The doctors also bandaged my legs. I was there for a week. When the doctors found that gangrene had developed and it had reached up to my knees, they asked my father to take me to a district hospital. There, the doctors scolded my parents a lot for neglecting the wounds and allowing the gangrene to develop. But what could my ignorant parents do?

In no time, both my legs were amputated up to the hips.

I remember waking up and asking my mother, where are my legs? I also remember that my mother cried when I asked the question. I was in the hospital for three months.

Life without legsI don't think my life changed dramatically after I lost both my legs. Because all at home were doting on me, I was enjoying all the attention rather than pitying myself. I was happy that I got a lot of fruits and biscuits.

'I never wallowed in self-pity'

July 28, 2008

The day I reached my village, my house was flooded with curious people; all of them wanted to know how a boy without legs looked. But I was not bothered; I was happy to see so many of them coming to see me, especially my friends!

All my friends saw to it that I was part of all the games they played; they carried me everywhere.

God's handI believe in God. I believe in destiny. I feel he plans everything for you. If not for the accident, we would not have moved from the village to Tanuku, a town. There I joined a missionary school, and my father built a house next to the school. Till the tenth standard, I studied in that school.

If I had continued in Teeparu, I may not have studied after the 10th. I may have started working as a farmer or someone like that after my studies. I am sure God had other plans for me.

My sister, my friendWhen the school was about to reopen, my parents moved from Teeparu to Tanuku, a town, and admitted both of us in a Missionary school. They decided to put my sister also in the same class though she is two years older. They thought she could take care of me if both of us were in the same class. My sister never complained.

She would be there for everything. Many of my friends used to tell me, you are so lucky to have such a loving sister. There are many who do not care for their siblings.

She carried me in the school for a few years and after a while, my friends took over the task. When I got the tricycle, my sister used to push me around in the school.

My life, I would say, was normal, as everyone treated me like a normal kid. I never wallowed in self-pity. I was a happy boy and competed with others to be on top and the others also looked at me as a competitor.

InspirationI was inspired by two people when in school; my Maths teacher Pramod Lal who encouraged me to participate in various local talent tests, and a brilliant boy called Chowdhary, who was my senior.

When I came to know that he had joined Gowtham Junior College to prepare for IIT-JEE, it became my dream too. I was school first in 10th scoring 542/600.

Because I topped in the state exams, Gowtham Junior College waived the fee for me. Pramod Sir's recommendation also helped. The fee was around Rs 50,000 per year, which my parents could never afford.

Moving to a residential schoolLiving in a residential school was a big change for me because till then my life centred around home and school and I had my parents and sister to take care of all my needs. It was the first time that I was interacting with society. It took one year for me to adjust to the new life.

There, my inspiration was a boy called K K S Bhaskar who was in the top 10 in IIT-JEE exams. He used to come to our school to encourage us. Though my parents didn't know anything about Gowtham Junior School or IIT, they always saw to it that I was encouraged in whatever I wanted to do.. If the results were good, they would praise me to the skies and if bad, they would try to see something good in that. They did not want me to feel bad.

They are such wonderful supportive parents.

Life at IIT- MadrasThough my overall rank in the IIT-JEE was not that great (992), I was 4th in the physically handicapped category. So, I joined IIT, Madras to study Computer Science.

Here, my role model was Karthik who was also my senior in school. I looked up to him during my years at IIT- Madras.

He had asked for attached bathrooms for those with special needs before I came here itself. So, when I came here, the room had attached bath. He used to help me and guide me a lot when I was here.

I evolved as a person in these four years, both academically and personally. It has been a great experience studying here.. The people I was interacting with were so brilliant that I felt privileged to sit along with them in the class. Just by speaking to my lab mates, I gained a lot..

'There are more good people in society than bad ones'

July 28, 2008

Words are inadequate to express my gratitude to Prof Pandurangan and all my lab mates; all were simply great. I was sent to Boston along with four others for our internship by Prof Pandurangan. It was a great experience.

Joining Google R & DI did not want to pursue PhD as I wanted my parents to take rest now.

Morgan Stanley selected me first but I preferred Google because I wanted to work in pure computer science, algorithms and game theory.

I am luckyDo you know why I say I am lucky?

I get help from total strangers without me asking for it. Once after my second year at IIT, I with some of my friends was travelling in a train for a conference. We met a kind gentleman called Sundar in the train, and he has been taking care of my hostel fees from then on.

I have to mention about Jaipur foot. I had Jaipur foot when I was in 3rd standard. After two years, I stopped using them. As I had almost no stems on my legs, it was very tough to tie them to the body. I found walking with Jaipur foot very, very slow. Sitting also was a problem. I found my tricycle faster because I am one guy who wants to do things faster.

One great thing about the hospital is, they don't think their role ends by just fixing the Jaipur foot; they arrange for livelihood for all. They asked me what help I needed from them. I told them at that time, if I got into an IIT, I needed financial help from them. So, from the day I joined IIT, Madras, my fees were taken care of by them. So, my education at the IIT was never a burden on my parents and they could take care of my sister's Nursing studies.

Surprise awaited me at IITAfter my first year, when I went home, two things happened here at the Institute without my knowledge.

I got a letter from my department that they had arranged a lift and ramps at the department for me. It also said that if I came a bit early and checked whether it met with my requirements, it would be good.

Second surprise was, the Dean, Prof Idichandy and the Students General Secretary, Prasad had located a place that sold powered wheel chairs. The cost was Rs 55,000. What they did was, they did not buy the wheel chair; they gave me the money so that the wheel chair belonged to me and not the institute.

My life changed after that. I felt free and independent.

That's why I say I am lucky. God has planned things for me and takes care of me at every step.

The world is full of good peopleI also feel if you are motivated and show some initiative, people around you will always help you. I also feel there are more good people in society than bad ones. I want all those who read this to feel that if Naresh can achieve something in life, you can too.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows LiveT Photos. Drag n' dropE-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.1.0.447)Database version: 6.13400http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/E-mail'>http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.1.0.447)Database version: 6.13420http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

Thankyou Sreedeviji for sharing. So much positive attitude, something all should have.

May Guruvayoorappan bless him.

Jai Sree Krishna

NVP Menon <nvpmenonguruvayur <guruvayur >Sat, October 10, 2009 6:04:57 PM[Guruvayur] Fw: Inspiring Story: A Guy who got into Google job

Dear friends,

This is an inspiring story, of a young man who became successful with God's Grace .

sreedevi

Om Namo Narayanaya

--- :

Naga Naresh Karutura has just passed out of IIT Madras in Computer Science and has joined Google in Bangalore.

You may ask, what's so special about this 21-year-old when there are hundreds of students passing out from various IITs and joining big companies like Google?

Naresh is special. His parents are illiterate. He has no legs and moves around in his powered wheel chair. (In fact, when I could not locate his lab, he told me over the mobile phone, 'I will come and pick you up'. And in no time, he was there to guide me)

Ever smiling, optimistic and full of spirit; that is Naresh. He says, "God has always been planning things for me. That is why I feel I am lucky."

Childhood in a villageI spent the first seven years of my life in Teeparru, a small village in Andhra Pradesh, on the banks of the river Godavari. My father Prasad was a lorry driver and my mother Kumari, a house wife. Though they were illiterate, my parents instilled in me and my elder sister (Sirisha) the importance of studying.

Looking back, one thing that surprises me now is the way my father taught me when I was in the 1st and 2nd standards. My father would ask me questions from the text book, and I would answer them. At that time, I didn't know he could not read or write but to make me happy, he helped me in my studies!

Another memory that doesn't go away is the floods in the village and how I was carried on top of a buffalo by my uncle. I also remember plucking fruits from a tree that was full of thorns.

I used to be very naughty, running around and playing all the time with my friends.. I used to get a lot of scolding for disturbing the elders who slept in the afternoon. The moment they started scolding, I would run away to the fields!

I also remember finishing my school work fast in class and sleeping on the teacher's lap!

January 11, 1993, the fateful dayOn the January 11, 1993 when we had the sankranti holidays, my mother took my sister and me to a nearby village for a family function. From there we were to go with our grandmother to our native place. But my grandmother did not come there. As there were no buses that day, my mother took a lift in my father's friend's lorry. As there were many people in the lorry, he made me sit next to him, close to the door.

It was my fault; I fiddled with the door latch and it opened wide throwing me out. As I fell, my legs got cut by the iron rods protruding from the lorry. Nothing happened to me except scratches on my legs.

The accident had happened just in front of a big private hospital but they refused to treat me saying it was an accident case. Then a police constable who was passing by took us to a government hospital.

First I underwent an operation as my small intestine got twisted. The doctors also bandaged my legs. I was there for a week. When the doctors found that gangrene had developed and it had reached up to my knees, they asked my father to take me to a district hospital. There, the doctors scolded my parents a lot for neglecting the wounds and allowing the gangrene to develop. But what could my ignorant parents do?

I remember waking up and asking my mother, where are my legs? I also remember that my mother cried when I asked the question. I was in the hospital for three months.

Life without legsI don't think my life changed dramatically after I lost both my legs. Because all at home were doting on me, I was enjoying all the attention rather than pitying myself. I was happy that I got a lot of fruits and biscuits.

July 28, 2008

The day I reached my village, my house was flooded with curious people; all of them wanted to know how a boy without legs looked. But I was not bothered; I was happy to see so many of them coming to see me, especially my friends!

All my friends saw to it that I was part of all the games they played; they carried me everywhere.

God's handI believe in God. I believe in destiny. I feel he plans everything for you. If not for the accident, we would not have moved from the village to Tanuku, a town. There I joined a missionary school, and my father built a house next to the school. Till the tenth standard, I studied in that school.

If I had continued in Teeparu, I may not have studied after the 10th. I may have started working as a farmer or someone like that after my studies. I am sure God had other plans for me.

My sister, my friendWhen the school was about to reopen, my parents moved from Teeparu to Tanuku, a town, and admitted both of us in a Missionary school. They decided to put my sister also in the same class though she is two years older. They thought she could take care of me if both of us were in the same class. My sister never complained.

She would be there for everything. Many of my friends used to tell me, you are so lucky to have such a loving sister. There are many who do not care for their siblings.

She carried me in the school for a few years and after a while, my friends took over the task. When I got the tricycle, my sister used to push me around in the school.

My life, I would say, was normal, as everyone treated me like a normal kid. I never wallowed in self-pity. I was a happy boy and competed with others to be on top and the others also looked at me as a competitor.

InspirationI was inspired by two people when in school; my Maths teacher Pramod Lal who encouraged me to participate in various local talent tests, and a brilliant boy called Chowdhary, who was my senior.

When I came to know that he had joined Gowtham Junior College to prepare for IIT-JEE, it became my dream too. I was school first in 10th scoring 542/600.

Because I topped in the state exams, Gowtham Junior College waived the fee for me. Pramod Sir's recommendation also helped. The fee was around Rs 50,000 per year, which my parents could never afford.

Moving to a residential schoolLiving in a residential school was a big change for me because till then my life centred around home and school and I had my parents and sister to take care of all my needs. It was the first time that I was interacting with society. It took one year for me to adjust to the new life.

There, my inspiration was a boy called K K S Bhaskar who was in the top 10 in IIT-JEE exams. He used to come to our school to encourage us. Though my parents didn't know anything about Gowtham Junior School or IIT, they always saw to it that I was encouraged in whatever I wanted to do.. If the results were good, they would praise me to the skies and if bad, they would try to see something good in that. They did not want me to feel bad.

Life at IIT- MadrasThough my overall rank in the IIT-JEE was not that great (992), I was 4th in the physically handicapped category. So, I joined IIT, Madras to study Computer Science.

Here, my role model was Karthik who was also my senior in school. I looked up to him during my years at IIT- Madras.

He had asked for attached bathrooms for those with special needs before I came here itself. So, when I came here, the room had attached bath. He used to help me and guide me a lot when I was here.

I evolved as a person in these four years, both academically and personally. It has been a great experience studying here.. The people I was interacting with were so brilliant that I felt privileged to sit along with them in the class. Just by speaking to my lab mates, I gained a lot..

July 28, 2008

Words are inadequate to express my gratitude to Prof Pandurangan and all my lab mates; all were simply great. I was sent to Boston along with four others for our internship by Prof Pandurangan. It was a great experience.

Joining Google R & DI did not want to pursue PhD as I wanted my parents to take rest now.

Morgan Stanley selected me first but I preferred Google because I wanted to work in pure computer science, algorithms and game theory.

I am luckyDo you know why I say I am lucky?

I get help from total strangers without me asking for it. Once after my second year at IIT, I with some of my friends was travelling in a train for a conference. We met a kind gentleman called Sundar in the train, and he has been taking care of my hostel fees from then on.

I have to mention about Jaipur foot. I had Jaipur foot when I was in 3rd standard. After two years, I stopped using them. As I had almost no stems on my legs, it was very tough to tie them to the body. I found walking with Jaipur foot very, very slow. Sitting also was a problem. I found my tricycle faster because I am one guy who wants to do things faster.

One great thing about the hospital is, they don't think their role ends by just fixing the Jaipur foot; they arrange for livelihood for all. They asked me what help I needed from them. I told them at that time, if I got into an IIT, I needed financial help from them. So, from the day I joined IIT, Madras, my fees were taken care of by them. So, my education at the IIT was never a burden on my parents and they could take care of my sister's Nursing studies.

Surprise awaited me at IITAfter my first year, when I went home, two things happened here at the Institute without my knowledge.

I got a letter from my department that they had arranged a lift and ramps at the department for me. It also said that if I came a bit early and checked whether it met with my requirements, it would be good.

Second surprise was, the Dean, Prof Idichandy and the Students General Secretary, Prasad had located a place that sold powered wheel chairs. The cost was Rs 55,000. What they did was, they did not buy the wheel chair; they gave me the money so that the wheel chair belonged to me and not the institute.

That's why I say I am lucky. God has planned things for me and takes care of me at every step.

The world is full of good peopleI also feel if you are motivated and show some initiative, people around you will always help you. I also feel there are more good people in society than bad ones. I want all those who read this to feel that if Naresh can achieve something in life, you can too.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows LiveT Photos. Drag n' dropE-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.1.0.447)Database version: 6.13400http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.1.0.447)Database version: 6.13420http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

dear moderator,

below is the experience of one of our reltives - mr subramaniyam/ u

may like to bring to the info. of other members of the group.

regds

vaidyanthan

---------- Forwarded message ----------

KR Subramanian <krsbn

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Fwd: [Guruvayur] Fw: Inspiring Story: A Guy who got into Google job

vaidyanathan nageswaran <vaidyanathan.nageswaran

DeAR SIR I got your mail for warded to me by my cousin vaithyanatha. I

am not only reminded of god who helps victims like us in a pre planned

way which we cannot even guess On th outset I congratulate Naresh for

his acheivements for his wonderful persistance and untiring efforts

with blessings of LORD I beg to add that I was also a victim for a

motor accident caused when I was returning from school as a boy of

eightear old and both legs were crushed by the motor whells as the

brakes were applied haviing my both legs under the tyre which

travelled for 3 feet in the olden days charal road { a sort of

reddish small pebble stones and clay mix Both legs crushed and the rt

leg was worst as the crushing has cut all nerves and blood vessels.Now

I am 80 year old yet my legs are looking as 10 year old.God helped me

by getting tossed up in the air to strike a side by iron electric post

on my skull which gave way with a crack and made me unconsious for

ninety days. making me not to feel the pain. Parents were spending

their hard money as they were not affluent anxiously inspite of the

fact that I may or may not be getting back to my sense as told by

doctors at Neyoor hospital in 1941. Then there was no medicinal

advancements even pennicilin came after after 5 years.

That was my bad luck though there was no fracture the bandages were

put with out the rt angled wooden support which caused my rt leg to

turn as there was no flesh making me notfit to use the leg for

walking. There was no arthotic knowledge . After six months the dr

came to see me and found I walked with clubfoot and with great

difficuly and advised my parents he may walk now but in old age he

will suffer as the fingers canot bar his weight But my PARENTS WERE

AFRAID AND REFUSED FOR THE CORRECTIVE SURGERY.MY FATHER WOULD SEAT ME

IN THE BACK CARRIER OF A BYCYCLE AND TIE ME WITH A BELT AND LEAVE ME

IN THE SCHOOL I studied upto inter mediate and passed with full

credits But my mother passed away at that time and my father spending

a lot of money for cremationactivities and spiritual ceremonies in our

cast.The person responsible for the accident did not care to ask for

even my well being apart from giving a paltry 2000 rs in full

settlement for the

accident.He owned very big companies Royal cycle motor company enfild

motor cycle manufaturers.Yea there are people like this too'

God made me not to depend on any body I studied a postal course in

radio and electronic instruments after my intermediate. I statred my

own shop to repair and assembled radiosets from 1950 just when i

turned 19. and contineud my small scale busy--ness and started

supporting my family In 1956 I got married to a girl who agreed to

marry me ignoring my conspigous deformity. We happily lived and she

worked as a teacher .with this imoved to tirunelvelley junction

where the great INDIACEMENTS LTD company director Sri

K S NARANAN of our village gave me a job as refrigeration and

instrument mechanic ignoring my disabilty. which gave an oppertunity

to use the tallence given by the God and I designed an instrument

for tracing faults on cables burried under the earth without digging

the earth which save a lot of down time of the plants when a cable

fault occured.for this I got a NATIONAL SHRAMVIR AWARD

Slowly I grew and brought up my children one boy and 3 girls . The

gifted boy finished B E AND ME in compter science and went abroad

and settled in U S A and the last daughter finished M Sc in

computerscience she also got married to an engineer iand setteled in

U S A and the rest of the 2 older daughters finished

graduation.The children in U S A by the grace of god cares for all of

us and takes the utmost care of the parents we live comfortably by

the grace of god who gave the good children all of them cares for us

CERTAINLY THE OMNIPRESENT GOD IS THERE WHO HELPED NARESH AND SUBRAMANIAN

P S iF THE LETTER REACHES NARESH I WILL BE HAPPY AS THERE IS ONE

MORE SOUL WHO JOINS WITH HIM INTHE BLESSINGS OF THE LORD

Sincerely,

K.R. Subramanian

--- On Sat, 10/10/09, vaidyanathan nageswaran

<vaidyanathan.nageswaran wrote:

vaidyanathan nageswaran <vaidyanathan.nageswaran

Fwd: [Guruvayur] Fw: Inspiring Story: A Guy who got into Google job

" hari_mhk " <hari_mhk, " Jayalakshmi Krishnan "

<jaykris66, " kg pagmanabhan " <kgpadmanabhan,

" Krishnan Vaidyanathan " <Krishnan.Vaidyanathan, " KR

Subramanian " <krsbn, " K G Padmanabhan "

<kgpadmanabhan, " gsriniva " <gsriniva,

" Venkatachalam Narayanan " <venkacham23, " Venkiteswaran

P.V. " <pvvlak, " Bargavi Sivaraman "

<bargavisivaraman

Saturday, 10 October, 2009, 9:21 PM

---------- Forwarded message ----------

NVP Menon <nvpmenon

Sat, 10 Oct 2009 08:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

[Guruvayur] Fw: Inspiring Story: A Guy who got into Google job

guruvayur <guruvayur >

Dear friends,

This is an inspiring story, of a young man who became successful with

God's Grace .

sreedevi

Om Namo Narayanaya

--- :

Naga Naresh Karutura has just passed out of IIT Madras in Computer

Science and has joined Google in Bangalore.

You may ask, what's so special about this 21-year-old when there are

hundreds of students passing out from various IITs and joining big

companies like Google?

Naresh is special. His parents are illiterate. He has no legs and

moves around in his powered wheel chair. (In fact, when I could not

locate his lab, he told me over the mobile phone, 'I will come and

pick you up'. And in no time, he was there to guide me)

Ever smiling, optimistic and full of spirit; that is Naresh. He says,

" God has always been planning things for me. That is why I feel I am

lucky. "

Childhood in a village

I spent the first seven years of my life in Teeparru, a small village

in Andhra Pradesh, on the banks of the river Godavari. My father

Prasad was a lorry driver and my mother Kumari, a house wife. Though

they were illiterate, my parents instilled in me and my elder sister

(Sirisha) the importance of studying.

Looking back, one thing that surprises me now is the way my father

taught me when I was in the 1st and 2nd standards. My father would ask

me questions from the text book, and I would answer them. At that

time, I didn't know he could not read or write but to make me happy,

he helped me in my studies!

Another memory that doesn't go away is the floods in the village and

how I was carried on top of a buffalo by my uncle. I also remember

plucking fruits from a tree that was full of thorns.

I used to be very naughty, running around and playing all the time

with my friends.. I used to get a lot of scolding for disturbing the

elders who slept in the afternoon. The moment they started scolding, I

would run away to the fields!

I also remember finishing my school work fast in class and sleeping on

the teacher's lap!

January 11, 1993, the fateful day

On the January 11, 1993 when we had the sankranti holidays, my mother

took my sister and me to a nearby village for a family function. From

there we were to go with our grandmother to our native place. But my

grandmother did not come there. As there were no buses that day, my

mother took a lift in my father's friend's lorry. As there were many

people in the lorry, he made me sit next to him, close to the door.

It was my fault; I fiddled with the door latch and it opened wide

throwing me out. As I fell, my legs got cut by the iron rods

protruding from the lorry. Nothing happened to me except scratches on

my legs.

The accident had happened just in front of a big private hospital but

they refused to treat me saying it was an accident case. Then a police

constable who was passing by took us to a government hospital.

First I underwent an operation as my small intestine got twisted. The

doctors also bandaged my legs. I was there for a week. When the

doctors found that gangrene had developed and it had reached up to my

knees, they asked my father to take me to a district hospital. There,

the doctors scolded my parents a lot for neglecting the wounds and

allowing the gangrene to develop. But what could my ignorant parents

do?

I remember waking up and asking my mother, where are my legs? I also

remember that my mother cried when I asked the question. I was in the

hospital for three months.

Life without legs

I don't think my life changed dramatically after I lost both my legs.

Because all at home were doting on me, I was enjoying all the

attention rather than pitying myself. I was happy that I got a lot of

fruits and biscuits.

July 28, 2008

The day I reached my village, my house was flooded with curious

people; all of them wanted to know how a boy without legs looked. But

I was not bothered; I was happy to see so many of them coming to see

me, especially my friends!

All my friends saw to it that I was part of all the games they played;

they carried me everywhere.

God's hand

I believe in God. I believe in destiny. I feel he plans everything for

you. If not for the accident, we would not have moved from the village

to Tanuku, a town. There I joined a missionary school, and my father

built a house next to the school. Till the tenth standard, I studied

in that school.

If I had continued in Teeparu, I may not have studied after the 10th.

I may have started working as a farmer or someone like that after my

studies. I am sure God had other plans for me.

My sister, my friend

When the school was about to reopen, my parents moved from Teeparu to

Tanuku, a town, and admitted both of us in a Missionary school. They

decided to put my sister also in the same class though she is two

years older. They thought she could take care of me if both of us were

in the same class. My sister never complained.

She would be there for everything. Many of my friends used to tell me,

you are so lucky to have such a loving sister. There are many who do

not care for their siblings.

She carried me in the school for a few years and after a while, my

friends took over the task. When I got the tricycle, my sister used to

push me around in the school.

My life, I would say, was normal, as everyone treated me like a normal

kid. I never wallowed in self-pity. I was a happy boy and competed

with others to be on top and the others also looked at me as a

competitor.

Inspiration

I was inspired by two people when in school; my Maths teacher Pramod

Lal who encouraged me to participate in various local talent tests,

and a brilliant boy called Chowdhary, who was my senior.

When I came to know that he had joined Gowtham Junior College to

prepare for IIT-JEE, it became my dream too. I was school first in

10th scoring 542/600.

Because I topped in the state exams, Gowtham Junior College waived the

fee for me. Pramod Sir's recommendation also helped. The fee was

around Rs 50,000 per year, which my parents could never afford.

Moving to a residential school

Living in a residential school was a big change for me because till

then my life centred around home and school and I had my parents and

sister to take care of all my needs. It was the first time that I was

interacting with society. It took one year for me to adjust to the new

life.

There, my inspiration was a boy called K K S Bhaskar who was in the

top 10 in IIT-JEE exams. He used to come to our school to encourage

us. Though my parents didn't know anything about Gowtham Junior School

or IIT, they always saw to it that I was encouraged in whatever I

wanted to do.. If the results were good, they would praise me to the

skies and if bad, they would try to see something good in that. They

did not want me to feel bad.

Life at IIT- Madras

Though my overall rank in the IIT-JEE was not that great (992), I was

4th in the physically handicapped category. So, I joined IIT, Madras

to study Computer Science.

Here, my role model was Karthik who was also my senior in school. I

looked up to him during my years at IIT- Madras.

He had asked for attached bathrooms for those with special needs

before I came here itself. So, when I came here, the room had attached

bath. He used to help me and guide me a lot when I was here.

I evolved as a person in these four years, both academically and

personally. It has been a great experience studying here.. The people

I was interacting with were so brilliant that I felt privileged to sit

along with them in the class. Just by speaking to my lab mates, I

gained a lot..

July 28, 2008

Words are inadequate to express my gratitude to Prof Pandurangan and

all my lab mates; all were simply great. I was sent to Boston along

with four others for our internship by Prof Pandurangan. It was a

great experience.

Joining Google R & D

I did not want to pursue PhD as I wanted my parents to take rest now.

Morgan Stanley selected me first but I preferred Google because I

wanted to work in pure computer science, algorithms and game theory.

I am lucky

Do you know why I say I am lucky?

I get help from total strangers without me asking for it. Once after

my second year at IIT, I with some of my friends was travelling in a

train for a conference. We met a kind gentleman called Sundar in the

train, and he has been taking care of my hostel fees from then on.

I have to mention about Jaipur foot. I had Jaipur foot when I was in

3rd standard. After two years, I stopped using them. As I had almost

no stems on my legs, it was very tough to tie them to the body. I

found walking with Jaipur foot very, very slow. Sitting also was a

problem. I found my tricycle faster because I am one guy who wants to

do things faster.

One great thing about the hospital is, they don't think their role

ends by just fixing the Jaipur foot; they arrange for livelihood for

all. They asked me what help I needed from them. I told them at that

time, if I got into an IIT, I needed financial help from them. So,

from the day I joined IIT, Madras, my fees were taken care of by them.

So, my education at the IIT was never a burden on my parents and they

could take care of my sister's Nursing studies.

Surprise awaited me at IIT

After my first year, when I went home, two things happened here at the

Institute without my knowledge.

I got a letter from my department that they had arranged a lift and

ramps at the department for me. It also said that if I came a bit

early and checked whether it met with my requirements, it would be

good.

Second surprise was, the Dean, Prof Idichandy and the Students General

Secretary, Prasad had located a place that sold powered wheel chairs.

The cost was Rs 55,000. What they did was, they did not buy the wheel

chair; they gave me the money so that the wheel chair belonged to me

and not the institute.

That's why I say I am lucky. God has planned things for me and takes

care of me at every step.

The world is full of good people

I also feel if you are motivated and show some initiative, people

around you will always help you. I also feel there are more good

people in society than bad ones. I want all those who read this to

feel that if Naresh can achieve something in life, you can too.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows LiveT Photos. Drag n' drop

E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.1.0.447)

Database version: 6.13400

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.1.0.447)

Database version: 6.13420

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

From cricket scores to your friends. Try the India

Homepage! http://in./trynew