IndiaDivine.org

MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCK

Rate this topic

Guest guest

namo narayana

Respected Sir,

Thank you for making us aware of this horrible atrocity in the name of Lord Krishna.

A year ago, I was actually planning to buy a peacock fan to fan the Lord during puja on special occassions like ekadasi etc, but something made me feel that the feathers used in the fan would be obtained after much cruel and violent treatment of the peacocks. Your email, has infact validated my suspicions!

I guess, the worst of the Kai yuga has arrived with its gross ignorance and violent and exploitative nature not only against animals but also against humans.

The saddest joke is that the devotees of Sri Krishna abuse the same animals which the Lord loved and adored.

I hope and pray that the Lord gives us intelligence, courage and compassion to worship Him without causing any sufferings on His four legged/feathered children.

Sincerely,

Kamlesh

--- On Sat, 10/24/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101 wrote:

Achuthan Nair <anair1101[Guruvayur] MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCKguruvayur Date: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 8:21 PM

Hari-om

We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this forum. Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the vehicle and beloved bird of many Hindu Gods. Bhagavan Sree krishna has peacock feathers tucked in His headset. There are many folklores where peacock, the national bird of India is revered as symbol of good luck nd beauty.

The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when devotees go to buy pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor remindes the devotee to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are Bhagavan's favourite.

It was true at one time but now it has become sad tale of cruel business practice.

During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were thousnds of these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed ( process callled molting ) their feathers every year and they were in plentiful, Times changed and the birds have become scarce but the demnd for the feathers is high. Thus it has become a multi-million business.

Many of us are unaware how 90% of the mayilpeeli is collected.

They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live birds are fed into an automatic de-feathering machine which seperates the feathers without damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and also for producing Peacock oil , a much sought after illegal bone treatment medicine.

Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail feathers causing severe pain and suffering to the birds.

There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the feathers one by one from the live birds.

In short only very few of the naturally shed ( called molting ) feathers reach the market.

By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this cruel and inhuman treatment of peacocks .

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

Om Namo Narayanaya

Thank you for the information.I have not bought mayilpeeli,but I am sure devotees who buys ,now know how they are obtained.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Vasudevaya--- On Sat, 10/24/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101 wrote:

Achuthan Nair <anair1101[Guruvayur] MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCKguruvayur Date: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 5:21 PM

Hari-om

We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this forum. Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the vehicle and beloved bird of many Hindu Gods. Bhagavan Sree krishna has peacock feathers tucked in His headset. There are many folklores where peacock, the national bird of India is revered as symbol of good luck nd beauty.

The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when devotees go to buy pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor remindes the devotee to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are Bhagavan's favourite.

It was true at one time but now it has become sad tale of cruel business practice.

During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were thousnds of these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed ( process callled molting ) their feathers every year and they were in plentiful, Times changed and the birds have become scarce but the demnd for the feathers is high. Thus it has become a multi-million business.

Many of us are unaware how 90% of the mayilpeeli is collected.

They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live birds are fed into an automatic de-feathering machine which seperates the feathers without damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and also for producing Peacock oil , a much sought after illegal bone treatment medicine.

Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail feathers causing severe pain and suffering to the birds.

There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the feathers one by one from the live birds.

In short only very few of the naturally shed ( called molting ) feathers reach the market.

By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this cruel and inhuman treatment of peacocks .

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

Kamleshji,

I have a suggestion for you.

Instead of looking for a Mayilpeeli fan, why not use a fan made out of the

Vetiver plant root ? It has a very pleasnt aroma besides its medicinal benefits.

Only an idea , you might already be aware of it.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , Veryytterium <veryytterium wrote:

>

> namo narayana

>  

> Respected Sir,

>  

> Thank you for making us aware of this horrible atrocity in the name of Lord

Krishna.

>  

> A year ago, I was actually planning to buy a peacock fan to fan the Lord

during puja on special occassions like ekadasi etc, but something made me feel

that the feathers used in the fan would be obtained after much cruel and violent

treatment of the peacocks. Your email, has infact validated my suspicions!

>  

> I guess, the worst of the Kai yuga has arrived with its gross ignorance and

violent and exploitative nature not only  against animals but also against

humans.

>

> The saddest joke is that the devotees of  Sri Krishna abuse the same animals

which the Lord loved and adored.

>  

> I hope and pray that the Lord gives us intelligence, courage and compassion to

worship Him without causing any sufferings on His four legged/feathered

children.

>  

> Sincerely,

>  

> Kamlesh

>  

> --- On Sat, 10/24/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101 wrote:

>

>

> Achuthan Nair <anair1101

> [Guruvayur] MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCK

> guruvayur

> Saturday, October 24, 2009, 8:21 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

> Hari-om

> We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this forum.

Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the vehicle and beloved

bird of  many Hindu Gods.  Bhagavan Sree krishna has peacock feathers tucked in

His headset. There are many folklores where peacock, the national bird of India

is revered as symbol of good luck nd beauty.

> The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when  devotees  go to buy

pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor remindes the devotee

to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are Bhagavan's favourite.

> It was true at one time but now it has become   sad tale of cruel business

practice.

> During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were thousnds of

these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed ( process callled

molting ) their feathers every year and they were in plentiful, Times changed

and the birds have become  scarce but the demnd for the feathers is  high. Thus

it has become a  multi-million business.

> Many of us are unaware how  90% of the mayilpeeli is collected.

> They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live  birds are fed

into an automatic  de-feathering machine which seperates the feathers without

damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and also for producing Peacock oil

, a much sought after illegal bone treatment medicine.

> Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail feathers

causing severe pain and suffering to the birds.

> There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the feathers

one by one from the live birds.

> In short only  very few of the naturally shed ( called molting ) feathers

reach the market.

> By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this cruel and

inhuman treatment of peacocks .

> jai shree krishna  !

> Achuthan  Nair

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>  

>

namo narayana

Respected Sir,

I have never heard about vetiver plant root. Can you please let me know what is it and where such a fan would be available, either in the U.S, Mumbai or on-line.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Kamlesh--- On Sun, 10/25/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101 wrote:

Achuthan Nair <anair1101[Guruvayur] Re: MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCKguruvayur Date: Sunday, October 25, 2009, 7:58 PM

Kamleshji, I have a suggestion for you. Instead of looking for a Mayilpeeli fan, why not use a fan made out of the Vetiver plant root ? It has a very pleasnt aroma besides its medicinal benefits. Only an idea , you might already be aware of it.jai shree krishna !Achuthan Nairguruvayur@grou ps.com, Veryytterium <veryytterium@ ...> wrote:>> namo narayana> > Respected Sir,> > Thank you for making us aware of this horrible atrocity in the name of Lord Krishna.> > A year ago, I was actually planning to buy a peacock fan to fan the Lord during puja on special occassions like ekadasi etc, but something made me feel that the feathers used in the fan would be obtained

after much cruel and violent treatment of the peacocks. Your email, has infact validated my suspicions!> > I guess, the worst of the Kai yuga has arrived with its gross ignorance and violent and exploitative nature not only against animals but also against humans.> > The saddest joke is that the devotees of Sri Krishna abuse the same animals which the Lord loved and adored.> > I hope and pray that the Lord gives us intelligence, courage and compassion to worship Him without causing any sufferings on His four legged/feathered children.> > Sincerely,> > Kamlesh> > --- On Sat, 10/24/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101@. ..> wrote:> > > Achuthan Nair <anair1101@. ..>> [Guruvayur] MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCK> guruvayur@grou ps.com> Saturday, October 24, 2009, 8:21 PM> > > > > > > > Hari-om> We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this forum. Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the vehicle and beloved bird of many Hindu Gods. Bhagavan Sree krishna has peacock feathers tucked in His headset. There are many folklores where peacock, the national bird of India is revered as symbol of good luck nd beauty.> The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when devotees go to buy pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor remindes the devotee to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are Bhagavan's favourite. > It was

true at one time but now it has become sad tale of cruel business practice. > During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were thousnds of these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed ( process callled molting ) their feathers every year and they were in plentiful, Times changed and the birds have become scarce but the demnd for the feathers is high. Thus it has become a multi-million business.> Many of us are unaware how 90% of the mayilpeeli is collected. > They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live birds are fed into an automatic de-feathering machine which seperates the feathers without damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and also for producing Peacock oil , a much sought after illegal bone treatment medicine.> Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail feathers causing severe

pain and suffering to the birds. > There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the feathers one by one from the live birds. > In short only very few of the naturally shed ( called molting ) feathers reach the market. > By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this cruel and inhuman treatment of peacocks .> jai shree krishna !> Achuthan Nair> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Dear Shri. Venkatakrishnan,Here is a series of messages on cruelty to peacocks.How to tackle this cruelty?   Is there no Animal Welfare Board in this country ?   Why dont you get in touch with them?   I am specially requesting you as you have an organised forum.

RegardsK.V. Gopalakrishna---------- Forwarded message ----------Veryytterium <veryytterium

Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:59 PMRe: [Guruvayur] Re: MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCKguruvayur

namo narayana

Respected Sir,

I have never heard about vetiver plant root.  Can you please let me know what is it and where such a fan would be available, either in the U.S, Mumbai or on-line.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Kamlesh--- On Sun, 10/25/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101 wrote:

Achuthan Nair <anair1101[Guruvayur] Re: MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCK

guruvayur Date: Sunday, October 25, 2009, 7:58 PM

Kamleshji, I have a suggestion for you. Instead of looking for a Mayilpeeli fan, why not use a fan made out of the Vetiver plant root ? It has a very pleasnt aroma besides its medicinal benefits.

Only an idea , you might already be aware of it.jai shree krishna !Achuthan Nairguruvayur@grou ps.com, Veryytterium <veryytterium@ ...> wrote:

>> namo narayana>  > Respected Sir,>  > Thank you for making us aware of this horrible atrocity in the name of Lord Krishna.>  > A year ago, I was actually planning to buy a peacock fan to fan the Lord during puja on special occassions like ekadasi etc, but something made me feel that the feathers used in the fan would be obtained

after much cruel and violent treatment of the peacocks. Your email, has infact validated my suspicions!>  > I guess, the worst of the Kai yuga has arrived with its gross ignorance and violent and exploitative nature not only  against animals but also against humans.

> > The saddest joke is that the devotees of  Sri Krishna abuse the same animals which the Lord loved and adored.>  > I hope and pray that the Lord gives us intelligence, courage and compassion to worship Him without causing any sufferings on His four legged/feathered children.

>  > Sincerely,>  > Kamlesh>  > --- On Sat, 10/24/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101@. ..> wrote:> > > Achuthan Nair <anair1101@. ..>> [Guruvayur] MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCK

> guruvayur@grou ps.com> Saturday, October 24, 2009, 8:21 PM

> > >   > > > > > Hari-om> We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this forum. Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the vehicle and beloved bird of  many Hindu Gods.  Bhagavan Sree krishna has peacock feathers tucked in His headset. There are many folklores where peacock, the national bird of India is revered as symbol of good luck nd beauty.

> The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when  devotees  go to buy pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor remindes the devotee to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are Bhagavan's favourite.

> It was

true at one time but now it has become   sad tale of cruel business practice. > During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were thousnds of these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed ( process callled molting ) their feathers every year and they were in plentiful, Times changed and the birds have become  scarce but the demnd for the feathers is  high. Thus it has become a  multi-million business.

> Many of us are unaware how  90% of the mayilpeeli is collected. > They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live  birds are fed into an automatic  de-feathering machine which seperates the feathers without damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and also for producing Peacock oil , a much sought after illegal bone treatment medicine.

> Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail feathers causing severe

pain and suffering to the birds. > There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the feathers one by one from the live birds. > In short only  very few of the naturally shed ( called molting ) feathers reach the market.

> By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this cruel and inhuman treatment of peacocks .> jai shree krishna  !> Achuthan  Nair>  >  >  >  >  >  

>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >

-- कृषà¥à¤£à¥‡à¤¤à¤¿ मंगलमॠनाम यसà¥à¤¯ वाचि पà¥à¤°à¤µà¤°à¥à¤¤à¤¤à¥‡ |भसà¥à¤®à¥€à¤­à¤µà¤¨à¥à¤¤à¤¿ तसà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤¶à¥ महापातककोटयः ||  

Kamleshji,

I do not know where you live. Vetiver plant root is called

Raamacham in Malayalam. The fan, Ramacha vishari or the ramacham root is a

common herb available in plenty in Southern Indian states. It is cultivated in

karnataka and there is an entire district where items made of ramacham is a

cottage industry.

Ask any Ayurveda herbal store and they will get it for you or contact Karnataka

Tourism Dept.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

We do not get it in the U S A.

guruvayur , Veryytterium <veryytterium wrote:

>

> namo narayana

>  

> Respected Sir,

>  

> I have never heard about vetiver plant root.  Can you please let me know what

is it and where such a fan would be available, either in the U.S, Mumbai or

on-line.

>  

> Thanks,

> Sincerely,

>  

> Kamlesh

>

> --- On Sun, 10/25/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101 wrote:

>

>

> Achuthan Nair <anair1101

> [Guruvayur] Re: MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCK

> guruvayur

> Sunday, October 25, 2009, 7:58 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> Kamleshji,

>

> I have a suggestion for you.

> Instead of looking for a Mayilpeeli fan, why not use a fan made out of the

Vetiver plant root ? It has a very pleasnt aroma besides its medicinal benefits.

> Only an idea , you might already be aware of it.

>

> jai shree krishna !

>

> Achuthan Nair

>

> guruvayur@grou ps.com, Veryytterium <veryytterium@ ...> wrote:

> >

> > namo narayana

> >  

> > Respected Sir,

> >  

> > Thank you for making us aware of this horrible atrocity in the name of Lord

Krishna.

> >  

> > A year ago, I was actually planning to buy a peacock fan to fan the Lord

during puja on special occassions like ekadasi etc, but something made me feel

that the feathers used in the fan would be obtained after much cruel and violent

treatment of the peacocks. Your email, has infact validated my suspicions!

> >  

> > I guess, the worst of the Kai yuga has arrived with its gross ignorance and

violent and exploitative nature not only  against animals but also against

humans.

> >

> > The saddest joke is that the devotees of  Sri Krishna abuse the same animals

which the Lord loved and adored.

> >  

> > I hope and pray that the Lord gives us intelligence, courage and compassion

to worship Him without causing any sufferings on His four legged/feathered

children.

> >  

> > Sincerely,

> >  

> > Kamlesh

> >  

> > --- On Sat, 10/24/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101@ ..> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Achuthan Nair <anair1101@ ..>

> > [Guruvayur] MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCK

> > guruvayur@grou ps.com

> > Saturday, October 24, 2009, 8:21 PM

> >

> >

> >  

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hari-om

> > We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this forum.

Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the vehicle and beloved

bird of  many Hindu Gods.  Bhagavan Sree krishna has peacock feathers tucked in

His headset. There are many folklores where peacock, the national bird of India

is revered as symbol of good luck nd beauty.

> > The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when  devotees  go to buy

pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor remindes the devotee

to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are Bhagavan's favourite.

> > It was true at one time but now it has become   sad tale of cruel business

practice.

> > During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were thousnds of

these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed ( process callled

molting ) their feathers every year and they were in plentiful, Times changed

and the birds have become  scarce but the demnd for the feathers is  high. Thus

it has become a  multi-million business.

> > Many of us are unaware how  90% of the mayilpeeli is collected.

> > They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live  birds are fed

into an automatic  de-feathering machine which seperates the feathers without

damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and also for producing Peacock oil

, a much sought after illegal bone treatment medicine.

> > Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail

feathers causing severe pain and suffering to the birds.

> > There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the

feathers one by one from the live birds.

> > In short only  very few of the naturally shed ( called molting ) feathers

reach the market.

> > By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this cruel

and inhuman treatment of peacocks .

> > jai shree krishna  !

> > Achuthan  Nair

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >

>

Hari-Om

Thank you Nairji for your input. I thought people in North India, i.e. Rajstan,

Hariyana and Gujarat treated their animals and birds with love and respect as I

have heard of these atrocities more common in the southern states.

Well now we know better. Indians are after all, Indians.

WE go to temple, feed the cow, worship the murthy and on the way home visit the

restaurant for BEEF fry and Parathas, and a serving of Tandoori Peacock ; and we

call ourselves Hindus !

ask any Hindu younster and his first preference in food is CHICKEN / BEEF FRY.

As such these poor creatures will go on uffering.

Of course there are exceptions but very rare.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , " nbn " <nbnair2000 wrote:

>

>

> HARI AUM

>

> Thank you verymuch Shri Achuthan Nair for bringing to our notice a very

> valid and relevant point – yetanother case of inhuman treatment to a

> creature we all worship in differentcontexts.

>

> Right from myprimary school days Mayil Peeli – even a small part of

> it – was an object ofgreat admiration. The case may not bedifferent

> for many other fellow devotees in our Forum too. I had the goodfortune

> of staying for a week in a in a remote mining village in Alwar

> Districtof Rajasthan. At the day break on theslope of a hillock I could

> see a marvellous sight of pea cock dance. The dance goes on and on for

> about 2 hrs ormore till the sun becomes a bit harsh. Then they all

> disappear slowly in tobushes around. One has to see it tobelieve! The

> point I want to specify isthat that village was perhaps the ideal place

> to collect some good naturallyshed pea cock feathers – at least I

> thought so. But on enquiry the facts I got were shocking!

>

>

>

> 1. Pea cock is a protected bird – we all know. But poachers

> in collusion with the concerned authorities trap the birds and pull

> out the feathers from the live birds and then butcher them for meat.

> The process is never in the reverse order, or lese the feathers may

> get blood stains!

> 2. Adivasies no more collect the naturally shed feathers as the

> amount available is very scanty due to less birds in the wild. Also

> what ever they collect has to be sold directly to the very same

> poachers. If they dare to sell it in the local markets as it used

> to be in the past the very same authorities will take them to task

> alleging on them all the crimes that the poachers are committing.

>

> Rajasthan,especially Alwar District is a major centre in India where one

> can still seepea cocks in the wild. Poachers andtraders are well

> organised gangs and their working tactics will be almost thesame in

> other areas as well. Henceit is almost impossible that one can get the

> naturally shed pea cock feathersthese days.

>

> Hence my humblerequest to all our fellow devotees is let us desist from

> our desire to adornKannan with pea cock feathers any more. Stop the use

> of pea cock feathers in any form. Also spread this message among our

> friends and other contacts.

>

>

>

> Thanks once againto Shri Achuthan Nair and the ever vigilant KV

> Gopalakrishnaji and Kamlesh forprompting our Guruvyur Group Devotees on

> the topics dear to our Kannan!

>

>

>

> With Regards to all,

>

> urs affly nb nair.

guruvayur , " Achuthan Nair " <anair1101@> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Hari-om

> >

> > We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this

> > forum. Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the

> > vehicle and beloved bird of many Hindu Gods. Bhagavan Sree krishna

> has

> > peacock feathers tucked in His headset. There are many folklores where

> > peacock, the national bird of India is revered as symbol of good luck

> nd

> > beauty.

> >

> > The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when devotees go to

> > buy pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor remindes

> > the devotee to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are

> > Bhagavan's favourite.

> >

> > It was true at one time but now it has become sad tale of cruel

> > business practice.

> >

> > During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were

> thousnds

> > of these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed (

> > process callled molting ) their feathers every year and they were in

> > plentiful, Times changed and the birds have become scarce but the

> demnd

> > for the feathers is high. Thus it has become a multi-million

> business.

> >

> > Many of us are unaware how 90% of the mayilpeeli is collected.

> >

> > They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live birds

> are

> > fed into an automatic de-feathering machine which seperates the

> > feathers without damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and

> also

> > for producing Peacock oil , a much sought after illegal bone treatment

> > medicine.

> >

> > Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail

> > feathers causing severe pain and suffering to the birds.

> >

> > There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the

> > feathers one by one from the live birds.

> >

> > In short only very few of the naturally shed ( called molting )

> > feathers reach the market.

> >

> > By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this

> > cruel and inhuman treatment of peacocks .

> >

> > jai shree krishna !

> >

> > Achuthan Nair

> >

>

HARI AUMDear AchuthanNairji, I have to state here unequivocally that the Hindus in North India arein general more religious and much more righteous compared to we, the KeraliteHindus. I had stayed in towns andremote areas in most of the North Indian States, except Jammu and Kashmir, forweeks together and had interacted with local people. Especially in Gujaratpeople in general are very considerate to animals. In many municipal parks Ihad seen squirrels coming very close to people and even feeding from theirhands! As a born Keralite, initially Ifound it difficult to believe my eyes! And you go to any hotel and by default, most probably it will be a purevegetarian. In any Kerala town astranger will find it very difficult to locate a vegetarian hotel – if at allthere will be one.I am sureGuruvayur Devotees and other Subramania Devotees will be interested to knowwhere exactly I could see that Grand Pea Cock Dance. It was in a small village called "Dariba Copper Mines" in AlwarDistrict of Rajasthan. The then Mines Manager who was there for a couple ofdecades was a very righteous person. He had very religiously implemented the Government Rulesprotecting our National Bird, Pea Cock, in his personal capacity as the mostinfluential person in that village. Thanks to that protected atmosphere there the Pea Cocks were care freeto dance to their hearts' content. However, I couldnot give here a description of the Pea Cock Dance to my Heart's Content forbrevity's sake. Regards to all,urs affly NB Nair.guruvayur , "Achuthan Nair" <anair1101 wrote:>> Hari-Om> > Thank you Nairji for your input. I thought people in North India, i.e. Rajstan, Hariyana and Gujarat treated their animals and birds with love and respect as I have heard of these atrocities more common in the southern states. > Well now we know better. Indians are after all, Indians. > WE go to temple, feed the cow, worship the murthy and on the way home visit the restaurant for BEEF fry and Parathas, and a serving of Tandoori Peacock ; and we call ourselves Hindus !> ask any Hindu younster and his first preference in food is CHICKEN / BEEF FRY. > As such these poor creatures will go on uffering.> > Of course there are exceptions but very rare. > > jai shree krishna !> > Achuthan Nair> > guruvayur , "nbn" nbnair2000@ wrote:> >> > > > HARI AUM> > > > Thank you verymuch Shri Achuthan Nair for bringing to our notice a very> > valid and relevant point – yetanother case of inhuman treatment to a> > creature we all worship in differentcontexts.> > > > Right from myprimary school days Mayil Peeli – even a small part of> > it – was an object ofgreat admiration. The case may not bedifferent> > for many other fellow devotees in our Forum too. I had the goodfortune> > of staying for a week in a in a remote mining village in Alwar> > Districtof Rajasthan. At the day break on theslope of a hillock I could> > see a marvellous sight of pea cock dance. The dance goes on and on for> > about 2 hrs ormore till the sun becomes a bit harsh. Then they all> > disappear slowly in tobushes around. One has to see it tobelieve! The> > point I want to specify isthat that village was perhaps the ideal place> > to collect some good naturallyshed pea cock feathers – at least I> > thought so. But on enquiry the facts I got were shocking!> > > > > > > > 1. Pea cock is a protected bird – we all know. But poachers> > in collusion with the concerned authorities trap the birds and pull> > out the feathers from the live birds and then butcher them for meat.> > The process is never in the reverse order, or lese the feathers may> > get blood stains!> > 2. Adivasies no more collect the naturally shed feathers as the> > amount available is very scanty due to less birds in the wild. Also> > what ever they collect has to be sold directly to the very same> > poachers. If they dare to sell it in the local markets as it used> > to be in the past the very same authorities will take them to task> > alleging on them all the crimes that the poachers are committing.> > > > Rajasthan,especially Alwar District is a major centre in India where one> > can still seepea cocks in the wild. Poachers andtraders are well> > organised gangs and their working tactics will be almost thesame in> > other areas as well. Henceit is almost impossible that one can get the> > naturally shed pea cock feathersthese days.> > > > Hence my humblerequest to all our fellow devotees is let us desist from> > our desire to adornKannan with pea cock feathers any more. Stop the use> > of pea cock feathers in any form. Also spread this message among our> > friends and other contacts.> > > > > > > > Thanks once againto Shri Achuthan Nair and the ever vigilant KV> > Gopalakrishnaji and Kamlesh forprompting our Guruvyur Group Devotees on> > the topics dear to our Kannan!> > > > > > > > With Regards to all,> > > > urs affly nb nair.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > guruvayur , "Achuthan Nair" <anair1101@> wrote:> > >> > >> > > Hari-om> > >> > > We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this> > > forum. Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the> > > vehicle and beloved bird of many Hindu Gods. Bhagavan Sree krishna> > has> > > peacock feathers tucked in His headset. There are many folklores where> > > peacock, the national bird of India is revered as symbol of good luck> > nd> > > beauty.> > >> > > The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when devotees go to> > > buy pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor remindes> > > the devotee to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are> > > Bhagavan's favourite.> > >> > > It was true at one time but now it has become sad tale of cruel> > > business practice.> > >> > > During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were> > thousnds> > > of these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed (> > > process callled molting ) their feathers every year and they were in> > > plentiful, Times changed and the birds have become scarce but the> > demnd> > > for the feathers is high. Thus it has become a multi-million> > business.> > >> > > Many of us are unaware how 90% of the mayilpeeli is collected.> > >> > > They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live birds> > are> > > fed into an automatic de-feathering machine which seperates the> > > feathers without damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and> > also> > > for producing Peacock oil , a much sought after illegal bone treatment> > > medicine.> > >> > > Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail> > > feathers causing severe pain and suffering to the birds.> > >> > > There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the> > > feathers one by one from the live birds.> > >> > > In short only very few of the naturally shed ( called molting )> > > feathers reach the market.> > >> > > By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this> > > cruel and inhuman treatment of peacocks .> > >> > > jai shree krishna !> > >> > > Achuthan Nair> > >> >>

namo narayana

Respected all,

Shri Achuthan Nairji has brought forward a very relevant point to the practices of majority of "Hindus" who simultaneously worship the Lord and at the same time violate His commands of not eating meat. alcohol etc.

It is interesting to know that, after the physical departure of Sri Krishna , Kali yuga manifested as a cruel man who had chopped off the three legs of a white bull (Dharma) and was mercilessly beating it, while he was accosted by Maharaj Parikshit.

By the cunning tricks of Kali yuga, the King had to give him shelter and he allowed that the Kali purusha can be in slaughterhouses, wine shops, places of prostitution, gambling and ill-gotten wealth.

Where our Kannan resides there the evil manisfestations of Kali yugam can never enter and Kannan will never enter places where such misdeeds are carried out.

So in simple terms, we have to choose whose association we want: eat meat/alcohol etc and associate with Kali yuga then we cannot expect Kannan to be with us in true spirit. We cannot superficially worship Him under some family/social traditions, or due to fear, or for some desires to be fulfilled and then do all misdeeds knowlingly to gratify our senses at the cost of innocent animals and then hope that He will forgive us.

Personally I feel that those parents who are giving into the demands of their young children for meat products, like MacDonalds chicken burgers etc are doing the greatest harm to their children as meat eating is a spiritual poison. (being a unhealthy food is a another story)

How can we ever think to get liberated when we torture and exploit animals for our sense gratification. Our scriptures are very clear on the fate of those who torture animals, that these people will themselves be born as animals in their next lives to undergo the same pain and sufferings. The Laws of Karma are exacting in their punishment and reward.

Those who buy/sell meat, cook it, transport it are all equal consumers of the meat, and hence all must vehemently avoid doing these acts.

Personally I feel very gulity of having consumed milk for so many years which unkowningly must have caused so much suffering for the cows, as a part of my prayaschittam I support Go-shalas and try to spread awareness of this important issue to my friends and family, and that is why I want to pass my thoughts on to this group.

So let us pray to Kannan to give us the knowledge, devotion towards Him and compassion to His animals so that we can truly worship Him without any hypocrisy.

Sincerely,

Kamlesh

--- On Tue, 10/27/09, Achuthan Nair <anair1101 wrote:

Achuthan Nair <anair1101[Guruvayur] Re: MAYILPEELI - THE AGONY OF THE PEACOCKguruvayur Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 6:39 PM

Hari-OmThank you Nairji for your input. I thought people in North India, i.e. Rajstan, Hariyana and Gujarat treated their animals and birds with love and respect as I have heard of these atrocities more common in the southern states. Well now we know better. Indians are after all, Indians. WE go to temple, feed the cow, worship the murthy and on the way home visit the restaurant for BEEF fry and Parathas, and a serving of Tandoori Peacock ; and we call ourselves Hindus !ask any Hindu younster and his first preference in food is CHICKEN / BEEF FRY. As such these poor creatures will go on uffering.Of course there are exceptions but very rare. jai shree krishna !Achuthan Nairguruvayur@grou ps.com, "nbn" <nbnair2000@ ...>

wrote:>> > HARI AUM> > Thank you verymuch Shri Achuthan Nair for bringing to our notice a very> valid and relevant point – yetanother case of inhuman treatment to a> creature we all worship in differentcontexts.> > Right from myprimary school days Mayil Peeli – even a small part of> it – was an object ofgreat admiration. The case may not bedifferent> for many other fellow devotees in our Forum too. I had the goodfortune> of staying for a week in a in a remote mining village in Alwar> Districtof Rajasthan. At the day break on theslope of a hillock I could> see a marvellous sight of pea cock dance. The dance goes on and on for> about 2 hrs ormore till the sun becomes a bit harsh. Then they all> disappear slowly in tobushes around. One has to see it tobelieve! The> point I want to specify isthat that village was perhaps the ideal

place> to collect some good naturallyshed pea cock feathers – at least I> thought so. But on enquiry the facts I got were shocking!> > > > 1. Pea cock is a protected bird – we all know. But poachers> in collusion with the concerned authorities trap the birds and pull> out the feathers from the live birds and then butcher them for meat.> The process is never in the reverse order, or lese the feathers may> get blood stains!> 2. Adivasies no more collect the naturally shed feathers as the> amount available is very scanty due to less birds in the wild. Also> what ever they collect has to be sold directly to the very same> poachers. If they dare to sell it in the local markets as it used> to be in the past the very same authorities will take them to task> alleging on them all the crimes that the poachers are committing.> >

Rajasthan,especiall y Alwar District is a major centre in India where one> can still seepea cocks in the wild. Poachers andtraders are well> organised gangs and their working tactics will be almost thesame in> other areas as well. Henceit is almost impossible that one can get the> naturally shed pea cock feathersthese days.> > Hence my humblerequest to all our fellow devotees is let us desist from> our desire to adornKannan with pea cock feathers any more. Stop the use> of pea cock feathers in any form. Also spread this message among our> friends and other contacts.> > > > Thanks once againto Shri Achuthan Nair and the ever vigilant KV> Gopalakrishnaji and Kamlesh forprompting our Guruvyur Group Devotees on> the topics dear to our Kannan!> > > > With Regards to all,> > urs affly nb nair.> >

> > > > > guruvayur@grou ps.com, "Achuthan Nair" <anair1101@> wrote:> >> >> > Hari-om> >> > We have had discussions about cruelty to Cows and Elephants in this> > forum. Another creature that deserves mention is the Peacock, the> > vehicle and beloved bird of many Hindu Gods. Bhagavan Sree krishna> has> > peacock feathers tucked in His headset. There are many folklores where> > peacock, the national bird of India is revered as symbol of good luck> nd> > beauty.> >> > The mayipeeli adorns Sreekrishna' s headset and when devotees go to> > buy pooja items from the flower shop,at Guruvayoor the vendor

remindes> > the devotee to buy some peacock feathers as well because they are> > Bhagavan's favourite.> >> > It was true at one time but now it has become sad tale of cruel> > business practice.> >> > During the time Bhagavan used to play in Brindavan, there were> thousnds> > of these birds roaming freely the forests and gardens. They shed (> > process callled molting ) their feathers every year and they were in> > plentiful, Times changed and the birds have become scarce but the> demnd> > for the feathers is high. Thus it has become a multi-million> business.> >> > Many of us are unaware how 90% of the mayilpeeli is collected.> >> > They are obtained from Peacock breeding farms where the live birds> are> > fed into an automatic de-feathering machine which seperates

the> > feathers without damaging them and the carcass is sold as meat and> also> > for producing Peacock oil , a much sought after illegal bone treatment> > medicine.> >> > Then there are poachers who chase these birds and pluck out the tail> > feathers causing severe pain and suffering to the birds.> >> > There are still others who trap them in metal cages and pull out the> > feathers one by one from the live birds.> >> > In short only very few of the naturally shed ( called molting )> > feathers reach the market.> >> > By buying, using and offering these feathers we become part of this> > cruel and inhuman treatment of peacocks .> >> > jai shree krishna !> >> > Achuthan Nair> >>