IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Mine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

This week end we were fortunate to listen to two inspiring talks by Swami Bodhananda Saraswathi. I am very happy to share this explanation about how we react to situations involving " mine " and others.

Imagine a situation in which somebody hurts you physically or mentally. Our immediate reaction is to show our immense displeasure either by words or deeds. This we do almost instantaneuously and instinctively. This is true with most of us.

Now let us imagine that we bit our tongue very badly and we went through excruciating pain for a few minutes. Even though teeth was the cause of our pain, we do not instincitvley  and instantaneously hit the teeth in retaliation. Why? Becasue we know that tongue, the victim of violence and the villain teeth, both belong to our body. We know that both are " mine " . So we do not react violently, instead we swallow the pain and try to be more careful to avoid such an accident, at least for a few days. Here the discipline was the direct result of the love for self.

So what is the difference in our reactions in the two situations? Our negative reaction and intolerance is expressed at others only and when it is " I " and " mine " , our standards and approach are different. This is true in all cases .

When we change this attitude and correct our own mistakes and purify our own thoughts and actions before we try to punish, clean up or correct other's mistakes, we are progressing in our spiritual journey. Otherwise we are stuck in the traffic due to the overflowing ego.  

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Dear Savitriji,Hari Om.Very beautifully explained.. Thanks for sharing this with us.I remember listening to one of our Chinmaya Mission Swamijis who explainedthat the reason it is so easy for us to see the faults in others is because our sense organs are outwardly focussed. If we can do a " U-tun " and focus them on the self, we can notice our own faults.

With Love & Pranams,LakshmyOn Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Dear all,

This week end we were fortunate to listen to two inspiring talks by Swami Bodhananda Saraswathi. I am very happy to share this explanation about how we react to situations involving " mine " and others.

Imagine a situation in which somebody hurts you physically or mentally. Our immediate reaction is to show our immense displeasure either by words or deeds. This we do almost instantaneuously and instinctively. This is true with most of us.

Now let us imagine that we bit our tongue very badly and we went through excruciating pain for a few minutes. Even though teeth was the cause of our pain, we do not instincitvley  and instantaneously hit the teeth in retaliation. Why? Becasue we know that tongue, the victim of violence and the villain teeth, both belong to our body. We know that both are " mine " . So we do not react violently, instead we swallow the pain and try to be more careful to avoid such an accident, at least for a few days. Here the discipline was the direct result of the love for self.

So what is the difference in our reactions in the two situations? Our negative reaction and intolerance is expressed at others only and when it is " I " and " mine " , our standards and approach are different. This is true in all cases .

When we change this attitude and correct our own mistakes and purify our own thoughts and actions before we try to punish, clean up or correct other's mistakes, we are progressing in our spiritual journey. Otherwise we are stuck in the traffic due to the overflowing ego.  

Regards and prayers

Savitri