IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

President Abrahma Lincoln established Thanksgiving day as the fourth Thursday in November. Why did he choose a Thursday and not any other day of the week? It seems, President Lincoln had a special liking for Thursday and he even chose Thursday to remember his son who died in Washington. He associated a spiritual significance with Thursday.

It is interesting to note that Thursday is an auspicious day for Hindus and the presiding deity of Thursday is Guru. In a book by Richard Salva, he has pointed out that Paramahamsa Yogananda believed that Abraham Lincoln was a Himalayan Yogi in his past life. He also says that he was born as Charles Lindbergh the great aviator, in his next life. Since Thanksgiving is an occasion to thank God for His kindness in blessing us with all the necessary food, it can be connected to the Hindu practice of thanking God before each meal. We go one step further by offering it to God and then eating it as a blessed or sanctified food. Is it because of Abraham Lincoln's  vasanaas or tendencies from the previous life, he wanted to start the practice of thanking God for the abundant food? and that too on Thursday? Anyway these question and questions like these are unanswerable and can be only left to each one's imagination.

Apart from this, Hinduism gives great importance in remembering and thanking for the loving guidance and presence of God in our daily life. Everything comes from Him and everything goes back to Him. So we emphasize on the importance of remembering Him at every meal that provides us with all the energy to lead a productive and useful life. Also we believe in sharing the abundant wealth of God with our less fortunate fellow human beings as well as with other beings of nature. That is why Annadaanam to deserving people is considered to be a great punyam.

Let us celebrate the Thanksgiving lunch or dinner today by chanting this auspicious manthra before we eat and then show our endless gratitude to Lord by chanting this manthram before each and every meal, every single day.

Brahmaarpanam brahma havi: brahmaagnau brahmanaahutham

brahmaiva thena ganthavyam brahmakarmasamaadhinaa.

A process of offering is Brahman, the oblation is Brahman, the instrument of offering is Brahman, the fire to which the offering is made is also Brahman.  For such a one who abides in Brahman, by him alone Brahman is reached.

Ananthakoti namaskaaram

Regards and prayers

Savitri

• 3 weeks later...

om namo narayanaya

I have a doubt regarding worshinpin lord krishna. Someone told me we should not worship the krishna idol at home, particularly the one with a murali(flute). I have a krishna idol at home. my krsihna idol has a murali in hand too. It was a gift. but i liked it and light a lamp every day in front of the idol. will it bring misfortune???? I am asked to worship idol with krishna and his consort togethr.. Please enlighten me on this.

Hari Om

s.mallika

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

Nonsense. Can you imagine a Krishna without a flute in his hand. These are all blind beliefs and sufficient to misguide. Please dont heed to such comments. Krishna gives out universal music through the flute which dispels all the agonies of the world. In Guruvayur he holds a golden flute in his waist band. They decorate him with flute in his hand. It is a lovely sight. The charm of Krishna is complete only when he has a flute in his hand.

Ramachandra Menon--- On Wed, 16/12/09, sapna dream <s.mallika wrote:

sapna dream <s.mallikaRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur Date: Wednesday, 16 December, 2009, 10:34 PM

om namo narayanaya

I have a doubt regarding worshinpin lord krishna. Someone told me we should not worship the krishna idol at home, particularly the one with a murali(flute) . I have a krishna idol at home. my krsihna idol has a murali in hand too. It was a gift. but i liked it and light a lamp every day in front of the idol. will it bring misfortune?? ?? I am asked to worship idol with krishna and his consort togethr.. Please enlighten me on this.

Hari Om

s.mallika

Hari-Om

Lest we forget,

Thanksgiving is supposed to be returning the favours done by the native

Americans. When the Pligrims arrived in this country from Europe in early 1600s

the native Americans welcomed them with a feast of Sweet potatos, corn nd

turkey.

That winter was very severe and out of 100 pilgrims,only about 50 survived in

the wild west. The natives again came to their rescue. They taught them how to

cultivate, plant corn, raise cattle etc and that year all survived. They were

treated as brothers. But history shows the cruel way the natives were treated by

the brothers they helped.

The entire population was wiped out after destroying millions of bisons , the

native's main food supply .

So what is he significance of thanksgiving ?

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

>

> Dear all,

>

> President Abrahma Lincoln established Thanksgiving day as the fourth

> Thursday in November. Why did he choose a Thursday and not any other day of

> the week? It seems, President Lincoln had a special liking for Thursday and

> he even chose Thursday to remember his son who died in Washington. He

> associated a spiritual significance with Thursday.

>

> It is interesting to note that Thursday is an auspicious day for Hindus and

> the presiding deity of Thursday is Guru. In a book by Richard Salva, he has

> pointed out that Paramahamsa Yogananda believed that Abraham Lincoln was a

> Himalayan Yogi in his past life. He also says that he was born as Charles

> Lindbergh the great aviator, in his next life. Since Thanksgiving is an

> occasion to thank God for His kindness in blessing us with all the necessary

> food, it can be connected to the Hindu practice of thanking God before each

> meal. We go one step further by offering it to God and then eating it as a

> blessed or sanctified food. Is it because of Abraham Lincoln's vasanaas or

> tendencies from the previous life, he wanted to start the practice of

> thanking God for the abundant food? and that too on Thursday? Anyway these

> question and questions like these are unanswerable and can be only left to

> each one's imagination.

>

> Apart from this, Hinduism gives great importance in remembering and thanking

> for the loving guidance and presence of God in our daily life. Everything

> comes from Him and everything goes back to Him. So we emphasize on the

> importance of remembering Him at every meal that provides us with all the

> energy to lead a productive and useful life. Also we believe in sharing

> the abundant wealth of God with our less fortunate fellow human beings as

> well as with other beings of nature. That is why Annadaanam to deserving

> people is considered to be a great punyam.

>

> Let us celebrate the Thanksgiving lunch or dinner today by chanting this

> auspicious manthra before we eat and then show our endless gratitude to Lord

> by chanting this manthram before each and every meal, every single day.

>

> Brahmaarpanam brahma havi: brahmaagnau brahmanaahutham

> brahmaiva thena ganthavyam brahmakarmasamaadhinaa.

>

> A process of offering is Brahman, the oblation is Brahman, the instrument of

> offering is Brahman, the fire to which the offering is made is also

> Brahman. For such a one who abides in Brahman, by him alone Brahman is

> reached.

>

> Ananthakoti namaskaaram

>

> Regards and prayers

>

> Savitri

>

i wish to add one more point to this discussion.I heard some people mention that keeping a photo of Sri Krishna with the flute is inauspicious as Krishna will blow away all the wealth from the house making you a pauper!! I could not help laughing - the Lord of Lakshmi, who owns all the wealth of the millions of universes, what is he going to do with our wealth? why does he have a need for it?!!!Also, there is a sizable population of "Hindus" who "believe" that keeping a picture of Lord Krishna as Parthasarathi (Krishna as Arjuna's charioteer) in the house will create rift between family members and they will fight it out. OUTRAGEOUS, isn't it?I wish to draw your attention to the last shloka of Bhagavad Gita (BG 18.78), wherein Sanjaya summarizes things as:yatra yogeshvara krishno yatra partho dhanurdharatatra shrir vijayo

bhuti dhruvaa neethir mathir mama !!"Wherever there is Krishna, the master of all mystics, and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also certainly be Opulence, Victory, Extraordinary Power, and Morality. That is my opinion."this is what the great Sanjaya who was given divine vision to see the war from where he was sitting (by none other than Vedavyasa) has to say!! so how can there be a rift or fight in the family by having a picture of Sri Parthasarathi ?? There are a lot of bogus information going around - and many are gullible enough to believe in all this nonsense. When will we we (as a community) grow up?-sriram======--- On Thu, 12/17/09, ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon wrote:ramachandra menon

<ramachandramenonRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur Date: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 6:05 AM

Nonsense. Can you imagine a Krishna without a flute in his hand. These are all blind beliefs and sufficient to misguide. Please dont heed to such comments. Krishna gives out universal music through the flute which dispels all the agonies of the world. In Guruvayur he holds a golden flute in his waist band. They decorate him with flute in his hand. It is a lovely sight. The charm of Krishna is complete only when he has a flute in his hand.

Ramachandra Menon--- On Wed, 16/12/09, sapna dream <s.mallika > wrote:

sapna dream <s.mallika >Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur@grou ps.comWednesday, 16 December, 2009, 10:34 PM

om namo narayanaya

I have a doubt regarding worshinpin lord krishna. Someone told me we should not worship the krishna idol at home, particularly the one with a murali(flute) . I have a krishna idol at home. my krsihna idol has a murali in hand too. It was a gift. but i liked it and light a lamp every day in front of the idol. will it bring misfortune?? ?? I am asked to worship idol with krishna and his consort togethr.. Please enlighten me on this.

Hari Om

s.mallika

Hari-Om

Why waste valuable time in brooding over such hum-bug ?

An empty head is a devil's workshop. There are people who have nothing

worthwhile to do and so they make up silly stories to pass time. They make up

these thrash stories due to ignorance and stupidity,

It is time we stopped believing in superstition in this age of super technology

and innovation.

Krishna is Krishna, with or without His flute.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , SRIRAM SUBRAMANIAN <abheri wrote:

>

> i wish to add one more point to this discussion.

>

> I heard some people mention that keeping a photo of Sri Krishna with the flute

is inauspicious as Krishna will blow away all the wealth from the house making

you a pauper!! I could not help laughing - the Lord of Lakshmi, who owns all the

wealth of the millions of universes, what is he going to do with our wealth? why

does he have a need for it?!!!

>

> Also, there is a sizable population of " Hindus " who " believe " that keeping a

picture of Lord Krishna as Parthasarathi (Krishna as Arjuna's charioteer) in the

house will create rift between family members and they will fight it out.

>

> OUTRAGEOUS, isn't it?

>

> I wish to draw your attention to the last shloka of Bhagavad Gita (BG 18.78),

wherein Sanjaya summarizes things as:

> yatra yogeshvara krishno yatra partho dhanurdhara

> tatra shrir vijayo bhuti dhruvaa neethir mathir mama !!

>

> " Wherever there is Krishna, the master of all mystics, and wherever there is

Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also certainly be Opulence, Victory,

Extraordinary Power, and Morality. That is my opinion. "

>

> this is what the great Sanjaya who was given divine vision to see the war from

where he was sitting (by none other than Vedavyasa) has to say!!   so how can

there be a rift or fight in the family by having a picture of Sri Parthasarathi

?? There are a lot of bogus information going around - and many are gullible

enough to believe in all this nonsense. When will we we (as a community) grow

up?

>

> -sriram

> ======

>

> --- On Thu, 12/17/09, ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon wrote:

>

> ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon

> Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayer

> guruvayur

> Thursday, December 17, 2009, 6:05 AM

>

>

>

>

Nonsense. Can you imagine a Krishna without a flute in his hand. These

are all blind beliefs and sufficient to misguide. Please dont heed to such

comments. Krishna gives out universal music through the flute which dispels all

the agonies of the world. In Guruvayur he holds a golden flute in his waist

band. They decorate him with flute in his hand. It is a lovely sight. The charm

of Krishna is complete only when he has a flute in his hand.

>  

> Ramachandra Menon

>

> --- On Wed, 16/12/09, sapna dream <s.mallika > wrote:

>

>

> sapna dream <s.mallika >

> guruvayur@grou ps.com

> Wednesday, 16 December, 2009, 10:34 PM

>

>

>  

om namo narayanaya

>  

> I have a doubt regarding worshinpin lord krishna. Someone told me we should

not worship the krishna idol at home, particularly the one with a murali(flute)

.. I have a krishna idol at home. my krsihna idol has a murali in hand too. It

was a gift. but i liked it and light a lamp every day in front of the idol. will

it bring misfortune?? ?? I am asked to worship idol with krishna and his consort

togethr.. Please enlighten me on this.

>  

> Hari Om

>  

> s.mallika

>

>

> The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

>

Thank You sir . You are true many of us are being misguided.

regards,

sapna

--- On Thu, 17/12/09, SRIRAM SUBRAMANIAN <abheri wrote:

SRIRAM SUBRAMANIAN <abheriRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur Date: Thursday, 17 December, 2009, 9:53 AM

i wish to add one more point to this discussion.I heard some people mention that keeping a photo of Sri Krishna with the flute is inauspicious as Krishna will blow away all the wealth from the house making you a pauper!! I could not help laughing - the Lord of Lakshmi, who owns all the wealth of the millions of universes, what is he going to do with our wealth? why does he have a need for it?!!!Also, there is a sizable population of "Hindus" who "believe" that keeping a picture of Lord Krishna as Parthasarathi (Krishna as Arjuna's charioteer) in the house will create rift between family members and they will fight it out. OUTRAGEOUS, isn't it?I wish to draw your attention to the last shloka of Bhagavad Gita (BG 18.78), wherein Sanjaya summarizes things as:yatra yogeshvara krishno yatra partho dhanurdharatatra shrir vijayo bhuti dhruvaa neethir mathir mama !!"Wherever there is Krishna, the master of all mystics, and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also certainly be Opulence, Victory, Extraordinary Power, and Morality. That is my opinion."this is what the great Sanjaya who was given divine vision to see the war from where he was sitting (by none other than Vedavyasa) has to say!! so how can there be a rift or fight in the family by having a picture of Sri Parthasarathi ?? There are a lot of bogus information going around - and many are gullible enough to believe in all this nonsense. When will we we (as a community) grow up?-sriram======--- On Thu, 12/17/09, ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon@ > wrote:

ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon@ >Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur@grou ps.comThursday, December 17, 2009, 6:05 AM

Ramachandra Menon--- On Wed, 16/12/09, sapna dream <s.mallika > wrote:

sapna dream <s.mallika >Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur@grou ps.comWednesday, 16 December, 2009, 10:34 PM

om namo narayanaya

Hari Om

s.mallika

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare HareDear Mallikaji,

Krishna will never bring misfortune to any where.

Regards

Leju

--- On Wed, 12/16/09, sapna dream <s.mallika wrote:

sapna dream <s.mallikaRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 10:34 PM

om namo narayanaya

Hari Om

s.mallika

Dear Mallikaji,

Here is my humble opinion.

Bhagavaan loves devotees. We can imagine Him in any way we want. Only thing that matters to Him is our sincerity. I am not sure whether you remember the story of an ordinary person worshipping Him as a " vettu pOtthu " or a male buffalo as per his vain master's sarcastic advice. He is everywhere and He is in everything and He is all powerful. So how does it matter ?

To some He is Ananthashaayi, to some He is Radhasametha Krishna, to some He is Rukminisametha Krishna, to some He is Balagopala, to some he is " aalilakrishnan " , to some He is Giridhar, to some He is Samkha-chakra-gada-padma dhari, to some He is Paarthha Saarthhi, to some and for me He is  Shyama Sundaran playing on the flute, to some He is Paramathma chaithanyam or Brahmam.

Then to some He is Shiva, He is Devi, He is Sun, some see HIm through their Guru. We attribute the form of our choice to the attributeless Paramaathma Chaithanyam!

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM, sapna dream <s.mallika wrote:

om namo narayanaya

I have a doubt regarding worshinpin lord krishna. Someone told me we should not worship the krishna idol at home, particularly the one with a murali(flute). I have a krishna idol at home. my krsihna idol has a murali in hand too. It was a gift. but i liked it and light a lamp every day in front of the idol. will it bring misfortune???? I am asked to worship idol with krishna and his consort togethr.. Please enlighten me on this.

Hari Om

s.mallika

Respected Ramachandra Menonji,

Thanks a lot for this write up . I too had to face a similar situation some

years back. My Eledest sister , while retiring from the Services of The

Guruvayoor Co. Op Urban Bank after a lengthy service spanning over three decades

was presented an idol of VENUGOPALAN ( Krishna with a flute in Hand ) which was

placed in the Drawing room of our house at Guruvayoor . A visitor insisted to

remove the flute from the hands of the idol saying he will blow out the entire

wealth of the family and she had to oblige him though with a heavy hert . The

idol looked quite incomplete without a flute in hands and on my next visit to

Kerala , I succeeded in making my sister to place the flute back to its original

place .

Since I am not a learned one or a scholar I told my sister that the person who

asked my sister must be envious of her and that is why he tried to disfigure the

beautiful idol .

Gopalakrishnan

guruvayur , ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon

wrote:

>

> Nonsense. Can you imagine a Krishna without a flute in his hand. These are all

blind beliefs and sufficient to misguide. Please dont heed to such comments.

Krishna gives out universal music through the flute which dispels all the

agonies of the world. In Guruvayur he holds a golden flute in his waist band.

They decorate him with flute in his hand. It is a lovely sight. The charm of

Krishna is complete only when he has a flute in his hand.

>  

> Ramachandra Menon

>

> --- On Wed, 16/12/09, sapna dream <s.mallika wrote:

>

>

> sapna dream <s.mallika

> guruvayur

> Wednesday, 16 December, 2009, 10:34 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

om namo narayanaya

>  

> I have a doubt regarding worshinpin lord krishna. Someone told me we should

not worship the krishna idol at home, particularly the one with a murali(flute)

.. I have a krishna idol at home. my krsihna idol has a murali in hand too. It

was a gift. but i liked it and light a lamp every day in front of the idol. will

it bring misfortune?? ?? I am asked to worship idol with krishna and his consort

togethr.. Please enlighten me on this.

>  

> Hari Om

>  

> s.mallika

>

>

> The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

>

>

http://in./

>

Dear Mallikaji,There are many such superstitions. Some say that you should not have the picture of Siva in your puja room. There are those who say that the picture of God standing, such as Guruvayurappan and Tirupati Venkatachalapati should not be kept in the puja room. All these should be rejected. They are all sheer nonsense. S.N.Sastri--- On Thu, 12/17/09, Leju <lejupillai wrote:Leju <lejupillaiRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur Date: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 11:33 PM

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare HareDear Mallikaji,

Krishna will never bring misfortune to any where.

Regards

Leju

--- On Wed, 12/16/09, sapna dream <s.mallika > wrote:

sapna dream <s.mallika >Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Thanksgiving prayerguruvayur@grou ps.comWednesday, December 16, 2009, 10:34 PM

om namo narayanaya

Hari Om

s.mallika