IndiaDivine.org

SWAMI AYYAPPAN & DHARMA SHASTHAVU

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Gurudevs and Devottees ,

We , a group of Keralites residing around sector 37 of Noida ( U.P ) adjacent to

the National Capital of Delhi are assembling regularly in the evening at the

Brahmashree Saraswati Devi Adi Shakti Math at sector 37 , Noida to observe the

Mandala pooja . There are poojas and Bhajans daily followed by Lakhubhakshanam

to all participants. Not only Keralites, but the North Indians too are very much

attracted to the daily bhajans especially the concluding HARIVARASANAM and are

requesting to write the same in English to enable them to join the CHORUS . We

also have to answer so many questions regarding Swami Ayyappan from the North

Indians since Ayyappa swamy is not familiar with some of them . Some of them are

misguided in some facts that the swamy went to the forest to fetch the milk of

Tiger and in that period the fight between the Swamy and Mahishi had taken

place. Even some of the Keralites express the doubt regarding the time of

Swamy's birth , the Marital Status of the Swamy since in Some Sastha Temples ,

the swamy is being worshiped as a family man where as at Shabari Mala the Swamy

is a Brahmachari . Though not a learned scholar , I have to write here the

following which I learned from a Guru a few years back .

Shri Dharma Shastha and Swami Ayyappan are not the same . Swami Ayyapan is an

Avatharam of Shri Dharma Shastha who was born by the union of Parama Shivan &

Mahavishnu in the Kritha Yuga . This Shasthavu was instrumental to kill Mahishi

.. Sasthavu have a wife named Prabha and a son named Sathyakan . In some temples,

Shashta is worshipped with two wives named Poorna and Pushkala . The Kollengode

Sastha temple is following this tradition . In most of the Sashta temples , like

Achan Kovil , Thiruvullakkaavu etc. the swamy is being worshipped as a family

man.

Ayyappan is an AVATHARAM of Shasthavu who was found as an infant in the banks of

River Pampa by the King of the Panthlam Dynasty which ruled there around a

thousand years back .Hence Ayyappan is being called as the KALIYUGA VARADAN and

is the Diety of Shabarimala Temple who is a BHRAHMACHARI .AYYAPPAN is in the

form of an UGRAMURTHY where as Shasthavu is in the mild manner .

Then comes the question regarding MALIKAPPURATHAMMA . If Ayyappan is KALIYUGA

VARADAN , how MALIKAPPURATHAMMA being described as the MAHISHI who had lived in

KRITHA YUGAM propose to Ayyappan ? It is belived that there was a daughter to

the Guru of Martial Arts where Ayyappan had gone for training who was attracted

to the Swamy .Being a BRAHMACHARI the swamy could not oblige her and allowed her

to sit as Malikappurathamma at Shabari Mala . The other temples inside the

coumpound of Shabari Mala like Kadutha Swamy and the mosque of Vavar swamy adds

strenth to this line of belief.

These are just what I had heard from a learned Guru . If any Gurudevs knows more

and better about the above facts kindly pardon me and rectify the same if there

are any mistakes. The person who had advised me, had told that the poets and

story writers of films based on Swamy Ayyappan have mixed all the stories and

have added new stories of their own in the mythology to create confustion among

the Bhakthas.

Gopalakrishnan

Pranamam Respected Gopalakrishnanji,Thank you so much for your Information. I have heard that Sharana Mnthrams have some connection with Sree Budhan and Budhism. They are also using sharana manthram. Eg:-Budhan Sharanam Gachami, dharmam sharanam gachami, samgham sharanam gachami..Can you explain me that also.With Prayers, Jayasankar Vattekkat--- On Sun, 13/12/09, gopalkrishna25 <gopalkrishna25 wrote:gopalkrishna25 <gopalkrishna25[Guruvayur] SWAMI AYYAPPAN & DHARMA SHASTHAVUguruvayur Date: Sunday, 13 December, 2009, 8:07 AM

We , a group of Keralites residing around sector 37 of Noida ( U.P ) adjacent to the National Capital of Delhi are assembling regularly in the evening at the Brahmashree Saraswati Devi Adi Shakti Math at sector 37 , Noida to observe the Mandala pooja . There are poojas and Bhajans daily followed by Lakhubhakshanam to all participants. Not only Keralites, but the North Indians too are very much attracted to the daily bhajans especially the concluding HARIVARASANAM and are requesting to write the same in English to enable them to join the CHORUS . We also have to answer so many questions regarding Swami Ayyappan from the North Indians since Ayyappa swamy is not familiar with some of them . Some of them are misguided in some facts that the swamy went to the forest to fetch the milk of Tiger and in that period the fight between the Swamy and Mahishi had taken place. Even some of the Keralites express the doubt regarding the time of Swamy's birth , the

Marital Status of the Swamy since in Some Sastha Temples , the swamy is being worshiped as a family man where as at Shabari Mala the Swamy is a Brahmachari . Though not a learned scholar , I have to write here the following which I learned from a Guru a few years back .

Shri Dharma Shastha and Swami Ayyappan are not the same . Swami Ayyapan is an Avatharam of Shri Dharma Shastha who was born by the union of Parama Shivan & Mahavishnu in the Kritha Yuga . This Shasthavu was instrumental to kill Mahishi . Sasthavu have a wife named Prabha and a son named Sathyakan . In some temples, Shashta is worshipped with two wives named Poorna and Pushkala . The Kollengode Sastha temple is following this tradition . In most of the Sashta temples , like Achan Kovil , Thiruvullakkaavu etc. the swamy is being worshipped as a family man.

Ayyappan is an AVATHARAM of Shasthavu who was found as an infant in the banks of River Pampa by the King of the Panthlam Dynasty which ruled there around a thousand years back .Hence Ayyappan is being called as the KALIYUGA VARADAN and is the Diety of Shabarimala Temple who is a BHRAHMACHARI .AYYAPPAN is in the form of an UGRAMURTHY where as Shasthavu is in the mild manner .

Then comes the question regarding MALIKAPPURATHAMMA . If Ayyappan is KALIYUGA VARADAN , how MALIKAPPURATHAMMA being described as the MAHISHI who had lived in KRITHA YUGAM propose to Ayyappan ? It is belived that there was a daughter to the Guru of Martial Arts where Ayyappan had gone for training who was attracted to the Swamy .Being a BRAHMACHARI the swamy could not oblige her and allowed her to sit as Malikappurathamma at Shabari Mala . The other temples inside the coumpound of Shabari Mala like Kadutha Swamy and the mosque of Vavar swamy adds strenth to this line of belief.

These are just what I had heard from a learned Guru . If any Gurudevs knows more and better about the above facts kindly pardon me and rectify the same if there are any mistakes. The person who had advised me, had told that the poets and story writers of films based on Swamy Ayyappan have mixed all the stories and have added new stories of their own in the mythology to create confustion among the Bhakthas.

Gopalakrishnan

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

Dear Gopalakrishnanji,Thank you very much for providing the history of Ayyappa and Dharma Shasta. I had consulted some people, but no body could give me a proper reply. Now I have got many answers. However, I would like to request your goodself to clear me on the following doubts, if you can:-1) It is said in some stories that there was a temple dedicated to Shri Dharmasastha at Sabarimala before the birth of Ayyappa and it is believed that Shri Ayyappa dissolved into the deity of Dharmasastha.2) Another story is that after completing 12 years (after bringing tiger milk), Ayyappa shown the place of sabarimala with an arrow and asked to build a temple there and the king built the same.Please clear my doubt.Faithfully yours suresh.p, Gwalior (M.P.)--- On Sun,

13/12/09, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkatFw: [Guruvayur] SWAMI AYYAPPAN & DHARMA SHASTHAVU"à´—àµà´°àµà´µà´¾à´¯àµ‚à´°à´ªàµà´ªàµ»" <guruvayur >Sunday, 13 December, 2009, 10:09 AM

Pranamam Respected Gopalakrishnanji,Thank you so much for your Information. I have heard that Sharana Mnthrams have some connection with Sree Budhan and Budhism. They are also using sharana manthram. Eg:-Budhan Sharanam Gachami, dharmam sharanam gachami, samgham sharanam gachami..Can you explain me that also.With Prayers, Jayasankar Vattekkat--- On Sun, 13/12/09, gopalkrishna25 <gopalkrishna25@ .co. in> wrote:gopalkrishna25 <gopalkrishna25@ .co. in>[Guruvayur] SWAMI AYYAPPAN & DHARMA SHASTHAVUguruvayur@grou ps.comSunday, 13 December, 2009, 8:07 AM

We , a group of Keralites residing around sector 37 of Noida ( U.P ) adjacent to the National Capital of Delhi are assembling regularly in the evening at the Brahmashree Saraswati Devi Adi Shakti Math at sector 37 , Noida to observe the Mandala pooja . There are poojas and Bhajans daily followed by Lakhubhakshanam to all participants. Not only Keralites, but the North Indians too are very much attracted to the daily bhajans especially the concluding HARIVARASANAM and are requesting to write the same in English to enable them to join the CHORUS . We also have to answer so many questions regarding Swami Ayyappan from the North Indians since Ayyappa swamy is not familiar with some of them . Some of them are misguided in some facts that the swamy went to the forest to fetch the milk of Tiger and in that period the fight between the Swamy and Mahishi had taken place. Even some of the Keralites express the doubt regarding the time of Swamy's birth , the

Marital Status of the Swamy since in Some Sastha Temples , the swamy is being worshiped as a family man where as at Shabari Mala the Swamy is a Brahmachari . Though not a learned scholar , I have to write here the following which I learned from a Guru a few years back .

Shri Dharma Shastha and Swami Ayyappan are not the same . Swami Ayyapan is an Avatharam of Shri Dharma Shastha who was born by the union of Parama Shivan & Mahavishnu in the Kritha Yuga . This Shasthavu was instrumental to kill Mahishi . Sasthavu have a wife named Prabha and a son named Sathyakan . In some temples, Shashta is worshipped with two wives named Poorna and Pushkala . The Kollengode Sastha temple is following this tradition . In most of the Sashta temples , like Achan Kovil , Thiruvullakkaavu etc. the swamy is being worshipped as a family man.

Ayyappan is an AVATHARAM of Shasthavu who was found as an infant in the banks of River Pampa by the King of the Panthlam Dynasty which ruled there around a thousand years back .Hence Ayyappan is being called as the KALIYUGA VARADAN and is the Diety of Shabarimala Temple who is a BHRAHMACHARI .AYYAPPAN is in the form of an UGRAMURTHY where as Shasthavu is in the mild manner .

Then comes the question regarding MALIKAPPURATHAMMA . If Ayyappan is KALIYUGA VARADAN , how MALIKAPPURATHAMMA being described as the MAHISHI who had lived in KRITHA YUGAM propose to Ayyappan ? It is belived that there was a daughter to the Guru of Martial Arts where Ayyappan had gone for training who was attracted to the Swamy .Being a BRAHMACHARI the swamy could not oblige her and allowed her to sit as Malikappurathamma at Shabari Mala . The other temples inside the coumpound of Shabari Mala like Kadutha Swamy and the mosque of Vavar swamy adds strenth to this line of belief.

These are just what I had heard from a learned Guru . If any Gurudevs knows more and better about the above facts kindly pardon me and rectify the same if there are any mistakes. The person who had advised me, had told that the poets and story writers of films based on Swamy Ayyappan have mixed all the stories and have added new stories of their own in the mythology to create confustion among the Bhakthas.

Gopalakrishnan

Hari-Om

Swami Ayyappan is the incarntion of Dharmasastha.

Ayyappan means, Ayya (vishnu) + appa (siva ).

He is the son of Vishnu ( Mohini) and Siva by divine conception,

AYONIJA VIRA, not born from the womb.

The childless King of Pandalam, Raja Rajashekhara, found him abandoned in the

forest and adopted him, named him Manikantan because the boy had a golden bell

tied around his neck.

Meanwhile the queen gave birth to a boy and she feared that Ayyappn would

become the crown prince.

THe boy was the king's favourite and fearing he would be the future king, the

queen with the help of the Prime Minister devised a scheme to kill

Manikantan.The queen feinged illness and severe stomach ache . Then asked the

royal physician to prescribe a medicine that contained tiger's milk.

Manikantan as the young man of the family was asked to fetch the tiger milk. (

In this way the queen was sure Manikantan would be killed by wild animals. )

Manikantan knew about the plot but still he proceeded to fetch the milk.

Davendra appears before Maniantan and offers his help. Indra takes the form of a

tigress and Manikntan rides the tigress back to the palace followed by several

others. At the palace gate He announces his arrival and asks the queen to come

and milk the tigress.

everyone is terrified and hides. The game exposed, Manikantan vows not to return

again and goes back. He vows not to see any females any more and takes

Bramhachari vratam;

This is the reason women are not allowed to visit Shabarimala.

Before deprture he shoots an arrow and asks the king to build a shrine where the

arrow landed so that anyone wishing to see Him could go to that shrine.

The king builds a temple 18 feet above ground level .but asks Manikantan to take

a coconut with three eyes for protection, the three eyes of Lord siva. Along

with it some rice, avil, sarkara and ghee , nonperishable food , for use on the

way.

As symbol of that all ayyappa swamis carry these items to thhe Sannidhanam.

On his journey he has many dventures. He fights and defeats Vavar, the Muslim

highway robber and later they become close friends.

He kills Mahishi who attains moksha but seeing Manikantan she falls in love and

asks Him to marry her but being a Brahmchari refuses.

He however gives her a place on the hill and promises to marry her the day

pilgrims stop visiting the sannidhanam. She is Malikapurathamma.

The Pathinettampadi represents the first 18 years of Ayyappa's life before going

to the forest to fetch tiger milk. The figure 18 is also auspecious for Hindus.

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , Suresh P <sureshp_suja wrote:

>

> Dear Gopalakrishnanji,Thank you very much for providing the history of Ayyappa

and Dharma Shasta. I had consulted some people, but no body could give me a

proper reply. Now I have got many answers. However, I would like to request your

goodself to clear me on the following doubts, if you can:-1) It is said in some

stories that there was a temple dedicated to Shri Dharmasastha at Sabarimala

before the birth of Ayyappa and it is believed that Shri Ayyappa dissolved into

the deity of Dharmasastha.2) Another story is that after completing 12 years

(after bringing tiger milk), Ayyappa shown the place of sabarimala with an arrow

and asked to build a temple there and the king built the same.

> Please clear my doubt.

> Faithfully yours suresh.p, Gwalior (M.P.)

>

> --- On Sun, 13/12/09, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:

>

> jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat

> Fw: [Guruvayur] SWAMI AYYAPPAN & DHARMA SHASTHAVU

> " à´—àµà´°àµà´µà´¾à´¯àµ‚à´°à´ªàµà´ªàµ» " <guruvayur >

> Sunday, 13 December, 2009, 10:09 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Pranamam Respected Gopalakrishnanji,

>

> Thank you so much for your Information. I have heard that Sharana Mnthrams

have some connection with Sree Budhan and Budhism. They are also using sharana

manthram. Eg:-Budhan Sharanam Gachami, dharmam sharanam gachami, samgham

sharanam gachami..Can you explain me that also.

>

> With Prayers,

>

> Jayasankar Vattekkat

>

> --- On Sun, 13/12/09, gopalkrishna25 <gopalkrishna25@ .co. in> wrote:

>

> gopalkrishna25 <gopalkrishna25@ .co. in>

> [Guruvayur] SWAMI AYYAPPAN & DHARMA SHASTHAVU

> guruvayur@grou ps.com

> Sunday, 13 December, 2009, 8:07 AM

>

>

>

>

> We , a group of Keralites residing around sector 37 of Noida ( U.P ) adjacent

to the National Capital of Delhi are assembling regularly in the evening at the

to all participants. Not only Keralites, but the North Indians too are very much

Indians since Ayyappa swamy is not familiar with some of them . Some of them are

Swamy's birth , the

> Marital Status of the Swamy since in Some Sastha Temples , the swamy is being

worshiped as a family man where as at Shabari Mala the Swamy is a Brahmachari .

Though not a learned scholar , I have to write here the following which I

learned from a Guru a few years back .

>

>

>

> Shri Dharma Shastha and Swami Ayyappan are not the same . Swami Ayyapan is an

.. Sasthavu have a wife named Prabha and a son named Sathyakan . In some temples,

Sastha temple is following this tradition . In most of the Sashta temples , like

man.

>

>

>

> Ayyappan is an AVATHARAM of Shasthavu who was found as an infant in the banks

of River Pampa by the King of the Panthlam Dynasty which ruled there around a

>

>

>

> Then comes the question regarding MALIKAPPURATHAMMA . If Ayyappan is KALIYUGA

to the Swamy .Being a BRAHMACHARI the swamy could not oblige her and allowed her

>

>

>

> These are just what I had heard from a learned Guru . If any Gurudevs knows

more and better about the above facts kindly pardon me and rectify the same if

there are any mistakes. The person who had advised me, had told that the poets

and story writers of films based on Swamy Ayyappan have mixed all the stories

and have added new stories of their own in the mythology to create confustion

among the Bhakthas.

>

>

>

> Gopalakrishnan

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

http://in./

>

Dear Gurudevs ,

Whatever I had written about the subject are not my personal views but what I

learned from a Guru . It is belived that Shri Budhan is another Avatharam of

Mahavishnu .There was a time when Budhism was the main religion in the country .

It was Jagdguru Adi Shankaracharya who revived the Hinduism .So many Budha

Viharams in the country were converted into Hindu Temples there after . It is

belived that Ther original temple at Shabari Mala was a Budha Viharam which was

later converted to the present temple. There is similaity between Budha Idols

and Shastha idols which add strength to this line of thought . It could be the

reason that the word Sharam is found common in Budhists and Ayyappa Devottees .

It is also being belived that the Swamy had requested the Raja of Pandalam to

construct a temple in the forests and shot an arrow where the construction had

to take place .

I too have read a book written by the Late Dr.S.K.Nair in which it was described

as the swamy had dissolved in to the shrine . But in that book the swamy is

being picturised as the nephew of the Raja .

Poets have written what ever came to their mind describing the swamy like :

" VISHNUVUM NEE SHIVANUM NEE SHREE MURUKANUM NEE

PARASHAKTHIYUM NEE BUDHANUM NEE AYYAPPA SWAMEE "

So More details could be given by the other learned gifted Gurudevs of this

group.

guruvayur , Suresh P <sureshp_suja wrote:

>

> Dear Gopalakrishnanji,Thank you very much for providing the history of Ayyappa

and Dharma Shasta. I had consulted some people, but no body could give me a

proper reply. Now I have got many answers. However, I would like to request your

goodself to clear me on the following doubts, if you can:-1) It is said in some

stories that there was a temple dedicated to Shri Dharmasastha at Sabarimala

before the birth of Ayyappa and it is believed that Shri Ayyappa dissolved into

the deity of Dharmasastha.2) Another story is that after completing 12 years

(after bringing tiger milk), Ayyappa shown the place of sabarimala with an arrow

and asked to build a temple there and the king built the same.

> Please clear my doubt.

> Faithfully yours suresh.p, Gwalior (M.P.)

>

> --- On Sun, 13/12/09, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:

>

> jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat

> Fw: [Guruvayur] SWAMI AYYAPPAN & DHARMA SHASTHAVU

> " à´—àµà´°àµà´µà´¾à´¯àµ‚à´°à´ªàµà´ªàµ» " <guruvayur >

> Sunday, 13 December, 2009, 10:09 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Pranamam Respected Gopalakrishnanji,

>

> Thank you so much for your Information. I have heard that Sharana Mnthrams

have some connection with Sree Budhan and Budhism. They are also using sharana

manthram. Eg:-Budhan Sharanam Gachami, dharmam sharanam gachami, samgham

sharanam gachami..Can you explain me that also.

>

> With Prayers,

>

> Jayasankar Vattekkat

>

> --- On Sun, 13/12/09, gopalkrishna25 <gopalkrishna25@ .co. in> wrote:

>

> gopalkrishna25 <gopalkrishna25@ .co. in>

> [Guruvayur] SWAMI AYYAPPAN & DHARMA SHASTHAVU

> guruvayur@grou ps.com

> Sunday, 13 December, 2009, 8:07 AM

>

>

>

>

> We , a group of Keralites residing around sector 37 of Noida ( U.P ) adjacent

to the National Capital of Delhi are assembling regularly in the evening at the

Swamy's birth , the

> Marital Status of the Swamy since in Some Sastha Temples , the swamy is being

worshiped as a family man where as at Shabari Mala the Swamy is a Brahmachari .

Though not a learned scholar , I have to write here the following which I

learned from a Guru a few years back .

>

>

>

> Shri Dharma Shastha and Swami Ayyappan are not the same . Swami Ayyapan is an

man.

>

>

>

> Ayyappan is an AVATHARAM of Shasthavu who was found as an infant in the banks

of River Pampa by the King of the Panthlam Dynasty which ruled there around a

>

>

>

> Then comes the question regarding MALIKAPPURATHAMMA . If Ayyappan is KALIYUGA

>

>

>

> These are just what I had heard from a learned Guru . If any Gurudevs knows

more and better about the above facts kindly pardon me and rectify the same if

there are any mistakes. The person who had advised me, had told that the poets

and story writers of films based on Swamy Ayyappan have mixed all the stories

and have added new stories of their own in the mythology to create confustion

among the Bhakthas.

>

>

>

> Gopalakrishnan

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

http://in./

>