IndiaDivine.org

Power of Devotion.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Story illustrating the power of Devotion

A man and his wife lived simple, pious life. They were so poor that they had barely enough food or clothing. The man made both ends meet by begging and whatever he got the couple offered to God before consuming it themselves.

One morning, while reading the Bhagavad-Gita, the man came across verse 9.22 where Lord Krishna says: “To those who always worship Me with exclusive devotion, constantly absorbed in thoughts of Me — to them I carry what they lack, and I preserve what they already haveâ€.

Perplexed, he thought “I am a singularly staunch devotee of the Lord and I have Him in my thoughts constantly. Yet He keeps us in abject poverty giving us nothing. Moreover, why should He who is the creator and master of all the universes personally carry a devotee’ necessities? I am sure the Lord could not have said these words someone has interpreted them incorrectlyâ€. So thinking, he struck off the words ‘vahaamy aham’ (I carry) with red ink. He now felt relieved.

As the husband set off to seek alms, his wife called out “There is not a morsel to eat in the house. Get something and come home quicklyâ€.

A while later the wife heard someone at the door. At the threshold stood a dark, handsome lad of some 12 years with a huge basket on his head. She could not take her eyes off the young boy, so strikingly attractive was he.

“Here, help me put down the basket, Mother. Your husband has sent these for youâ€, he said. She lent a hand and as he bent down to put the basket on the floor, she noticed three ugly red gashes on his back raw and bleeding, as if someone had just struck him with a whip “Oh my God! What wretched man did this to you?†she burst out. “Mother, it was your husband who whipped me because he doubted my willingness to deliver this basket to youâ€. “Wait hereâ€, she said, “I will clean up your wounds†But when she came back the boy was gone.

Soon the husband returned and was surprised to see his wife busy in the kitchen. “What are you cooking?†he asked “You had said that you did not have anything to eat in the houseâ€. “Why, you sent that huge basket full of fresh vegetables fruits and grains, lentils and condiments enough to last us six months But why did you beat the handsome young boy and inflicted three ugly red lash-wounds on his tender back?â€

“I did not get any alms today, dear wife, so how could I have sent any foodstuffs to you? I never saw the young lad you speak of, so how could I have beaten him?â€

Thoroughly bewildered by what his wife had said, the husband went into deep thought He rushed to the Gita he had been reading that morning and opened it to verse 9.22 His heart missed a beat as his eyes focused on the verse Gone were the three red lines that he had drawn across the words ‘vahaamy aham’. He was dumbfounded. Slowly, tears flowing down his cheeks, he prostrated himself before the deity, “Hey Jagannatha! Forgive me. The wretch that I am; how could I have ever doubted your words?â€. Then he turned to his wife: “It was He! How blessed you are to have had darshan of Bhagvan Himselfâ€.

(A collection)

wow Sir. That was a superb story. brought tears to my eyes.Hare KrishnaChithra P--- On Sun, 1/3/10, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry wrote:Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry[Guruvayur] Power of Devotion.guruvayur Date: Sunday, January 3, 2010, 10:03 AM

Story illustrating the power of Devotion A man and his wife lived simple, pious life. They were so poor that they had barely enough food or clothing. The man made both ends meet by begging and whatever he got the couple offered to God before consuming it themselves.

One morning, while reading the Bhagavad-Gita, the man came across verse 9.22 where Lord Krishna says: “To those who always worship Me with exclusive devotion, constantly absorbed in thoughts of Me — to them I carry what they lack, and I preserve what they already haveâ€.

Perplexed, he thought “I am a singularly staunch devotee of the Lord and I have Him in my thoughts constantly. Yet He keeps us in abject poverty giving us nothing. Moreover, why should He who is the creator and master of all the universes personally carry a devotee’ necessities? I am sure the Lord could not have said these words someone has interpreted them incorrectlyâ€. So thinking, he struck off the words ‘vahaamy aham’ (I carry) with red ink. He now felt relieved.

As the husband set off to seek alms, his wife called out “There is not a morsel to eat in the house. Get something and come home quicklyâ€.

A while later the wife heard someone at the door. At the threshold stood a dark, handsome lad of some 12 years with a huge basket on his head. She could not take her eyes off the young boy, so strikingly attractive was he.

“Here, help me put down the basket, Mother. Your husband has sent these for youâ€, he said. She lent a hand and as he bent down to put the basket on the floor, she noticed three ugly red gashes on his back raw and bleeding, as if someone had just struck him with a whip “Oh my God! What wretched man did this to you?†she burst out. “Mother, it was your husband who whipped me because he doubted my willingness to deliver this basket to youâ€. “Wait hereâ€, she said, “I will clean up your wounds†But when she came back the boy was gone.

Soon the husband returned and was surprised to see his wife busy in the kitchen. “What are you cooking?†he asked “You had said that you did not have anything to eat in the houseâ€. “Why, you sent that huge basket full of fresh vegetables fruits and grains, lentils and condiments enough to last us six months But why did you beat the handsome young boy and inflicted three ugly red lash-wounds on his tender back?â€

“I did not get any alms today, dear wife, so how could I have sent any foodstuffs to you? I never saw the young lad you speak of, so how could I have beaten him?â€

Thoroughly bewildered by what his wife had said, the husband went into deep thought He rushed to the Gita he had been reading that morning and opened it to verse 9.22 His heart missed a beat as his eyes focused on the verse Gone were the three red lines that he had drawn across the words ‘vahaamy aham’. He was dumbfounded. Slowly, tears flowing down his cheeks, he prostrated himself before the deity, “Hey Jagannatha! Forgive me. The wretch that I am; how could I have ever doubted your words?â€. Then he turned to his wife: “It was He! How blessed you are to have had darshan of Bhagvan Himselfâ€.

(A collection)

Dear brother,Radhe Krishna!Wonderful story.  When I read it, tears were rolling down my eyes too!Keep it up so that our bhakti will enhance to reach its peak!Ever thankful to you.LoveKVG

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Dr.B.G.Y Sastry <drbgysastry wrote:

Story illustrating the power of Devotion

A man and his wife lived simple, pious life. They were so poor that they had barely enough food or clothing. The man made both ends meet by begging and whatever he got the couple offered to God before consuming it themselves.

(A collection)

-- कृषà¥à¤£à¥‡à¤¤à¤¿ मंगलमॠनाम यसà¥à¤¯ वाचि पà¥à¤°à¤µà¤°à¥à¤¤à¤¤à¥‡ |भसà¥à¤®à¥€à¤­à¤µà¤¨à¥à¤¤à¤¿ तसà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤¶à¥ महापातककोटयः ||  കൃഷàµà´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¤à´¿  മംഗളം  നാമ  യസàµà´¯  വാചി  പàµà´°à´µà´°àµâ€à´¤àµà´¤à´¤àµ‡              ഭാസàµà´®àµ€à´­à´µà´¨àµà´¤à´¿  തസàµà´¯à´¾à´¶àµ  മഹാപാതകകൊടയ:    .