IndiaDivine.org

FW: Thiruverriyur

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaskarams to all Members.This fwd is my first contribution to our group. Hope this will be useful to intrested people.My Brother in law has made this trip.Thank u.S.ANNAPURANIThiruverriyurMon, 8 Feb 2010 08:51:28 +0000

It has been my long cherished desire to have a darshan of the famous Sri Thyagaraja Swamy along with his consort Thiru Vadivudai Ambal in Thiruverriyur near Chennai. It has been a case of 'so near yet so far', since all these years I could not visit the temple even though we have a direct bus service to the temple. It is one of the famous temples in South India where the Lord himself has performed His Thiruvilayadal. Here Sri Sundarar, one of the Four foremost Devotees of Lord Siva, (and also said to be the Bimba or mirror image of the Lord) called the Lord himself as a witness to the false statement he made to Thiru Sangili Nachiyar that he was unmarried, whereas he had already married Paravai Nachiyar in Thiruvarur. It somehow suddenly got in to my mind to go to the temple on Sunday the 7th. As expected Adithya also joined me. It was a little crowded being a Sunday but we had a good darshan. The Linga is not in the shape we usually see in other temples. It appeared to be a sort of golden board 7' X 4') with the centre having a round shape black in colour, apparently made of granite. Because of the crowd and the presence of a Bajanai Goshti I could not speak to the Sivachariar in detail. Stranger still is the shrine of Thiru Vadivudai Amman. ( I was not able to get the Sanskrit name of the deity). Because of the crowd I bought special Darshan tickets at Rs.25 apiece but still had to wait for more than 30 minutes. Reason there were devotees in the Artha Mandapa who had paid for the Pushpanjali. This form of worship is done only in Kerala temples and I have not heard of it being done in Tamil Nadu, except perhaps in temples in Nagar Koil area. Most of the devotees doing this Pushpanjali were Keralites as one could easily make out. When I went in to the Artha Mandapam I saw the Ambal sparkling in a Gold Kavacham. And the chief priest was a Namboodri doing the pooja in Thanthrik way. There were other local Sivachariars too. When I discussed this with a friend of mine I understood that this Amman is worshiped as Sri Vidhya by Devi Upasakas doing Dasa Maha Vidhya Upasana. Sri Kapali Sastry a famous follower of Bhagwan Sri Ramana and also Sri Arabindoo has written a book on the method of worship of this Deity etc. Altogether it was a very unique experience for me, the like of which I have had only in a few temples like Guruvayur and Sri Kamakshi Amman temple in Kancheepuram.

A few photos I took of the temple are attached. Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.