IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Let's expand our horizon w/Gitaji - how 2 b dettached: body-world? (1 of 8 emails)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Divine All,

Pranam.

Originally I had written few views on body but our loving Moderator thought my email is too long (which I agreed, thanks :-), I am trying...) so I am presenting just a couple-three thoughts at one time so that we can read and try to digest them easily as we are trying for detachment...

Please see my response below in Red...

Love.

always at Thy Holly Feet

---------- Forwarded message ----------Manjula Patel <

manjumaaAug 27, 2006 12:57 AMLet's expand our horizon w/Gitaji - how 2 b dettached: body-world? (1 of 8 emails) <

>

Loving Divine,

Pranam.

We have very good discussions going on with various questions asked in this group. Thanks to all for their participation and the Moderator for facilitation.

We all say and agree that we need to be detached but the key concern is 'HOW?', isn't it? To address various topics of detachment I have divided them into 8 emails so we can discuss them individually. I have also tried to provide Gita sloka or chapter or a term/word used that have addressed them but Gitaji has lot more to offer...!!! I am a strong believer that the RIGHT UNDERSTANDING is the ONLY way that can lead us to true and deeper level of detachment. So let's expand our horizon together with Gitaji and supportive examples where applicable. Let's pour out our understanding and experiences on how to be truly detached with love & compassion - the true application of Gitaji in our life.

First, let's understand what is body and world? - Just 'kshetra' - Chapter 13 (please do not discuss about kshetrajna in this email). We can also discuss 'dharmakshetra'

, 'kurukshetra', & 'dharmakshetra-kurukshetra' - Chapter 1.

Lord said we need to cultivate this body land. As Gitaji is consider to be an essence of Vedas-Upanishads, I think it is ok to bring examples from other scriptures to support the sloka chosen from Gitaji.

(Please note: provide related Gita Sloka 1st, support it with examples from other scriptures if needed)

Please discuss...

1) What is body, its nature?

Many times Baba has discussed the concept of body and why one should not be attached to it in his own way, the following is my understanding of it.

Divine Mother - Prakriti has wrapped us into three bodies - 'AUM': 'A' - Causal/body of knowledge & ignorance (Kaaran sharir), 'U' - Astral/Psychological (Shukshama sharir), and 'M' - G

ross/Physical (Bhautik sharir) . We are starting to dissect ourselves so in this email we want to discuss only about the Gross body (Bhautik sharir) or Biological Body. I think it is easy for all of us to understand what is it

BG 13:5 / 6. Any one can say that I have skin, tissues, muscles, flesh, bones-skeleton, marrow, internal organs & glands (like heart, lungs, liver, kidney, brain, etc.), blood, nervous system (including arteries, veins, etc.), like this one can even elaborate on each of this individually. But, just r

emove the layer of skin from this body, does it look attractive, worth attaching to?

We may say that this body is a 'Devaalay' as mentioned in BG 13:31 - Body (Temple) where God resides... My question is, do we want to get attached to the temple or the Deity that is established within this temple? If you remain attracted to the beauty of this temple and forget to go inside to visit the Deity, your journey remains incomplete, the purpose of visiting the temple remains unfulfilled, isn't it? What will give you more joy - visiting a friend (Lord Krishna) & spending time with Him or just viewing His house from outside & come back?

Dukhaalay (BG 8:15, 13:6). On many occasions, directly or indirectly, in Gitaji this body is referred to as the house of dhukh - pains, illness/ diseases

, sorrows, sufferings, stress, emotions, etc. We (as perceived 'us' to be this body) engage this body in various sense pleasures that are nothing but the cause of lot more pains & sufferings (18:38)

so Lord suggest that the intelligent ones don't engage themselves in such activities (5:22). Being attached to or associating ourselves with this body we remain in the cycle of birth-death ( e.g., birth, a painful ordeal - to remain in mother's womb like a prisoner, remain in urine & toilet for 9 months is itself a 'narak yaatnaa'). Being attached to this body, all relationships & pains associated with these relationships come to existence. Also we all know that with changing seasons, changing age, changing environment, changing relationships, changing emotions (2:36), it appears that this body goes through a lot of sufferings, is this dukhaalay, attaching to which results in more pains and become the cause of birth-death cycle worth attaching to? What is in this painful ordeal not letting us turn our face away from it? Lord guides us to remain above dhukha and to engage ourselves in the true union-yoga being our primary duty (6:23).

(to be continued..., plz feel free to express your views, thoughts, understanding that can help us detach from this body. Thanks.)

2) Can body be attached to anything?

3) Is body subject to any pain or pleasure?

4) What is world, its nature?

5) Does material wealth carry any pleasure? Is it worth attaching to?

6) who shall we be attached to, if anybody/thing at all? Is there a need for us to be attached to anybody/thing? Why?

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Love.

always at Thy Feet worthy of worship

• 2 weeks later...

Loving Divine,

Pranam.

Few more views on body, continue to ask yourself, is it worth attaching to?

1) What is body?

Continue...

Temporal (BG 2:18) & changing nature (asthaai, har vakta badalnewaalaa). Sharir-body changes every moment, that which is changing constantly can not be relied upon. How can you attach or anchor yourself on unsteady object and hope to be peaceful?

Garbage can or dumpster (kachare kaa dibbaa) or filled with filthy stuff inside. This was expressed by Shri Ramkrishana Paramhamsa when he was very sick with vomiting and diarrhea. Check inside, nothing but filthy stuff every where (gandagi) - inside eyes, nose, ears, mouth, heart, veins, stomach, kidney, intestine, liver, etc. even our mind carries filth...!!!!! Every where it carries dirty - smelly substances that if seen lumped outside we would be nauseated..., what makes you attached to it?

This body is merely a garment for our soul (BG 2:22). As soon as the 'praana'/'aatmaa'/soul lives this body, your very own beloved ones are in an extreme hurry to offer this body to the fire or bury or through it away!!!!! Even we through away our cloth when it is torn, worn-out or fades away so why to attach with this body garment?

Delusion. We think this body is vibrant, full of actions and excitements, very intelligent due to triguni maya of the prakriti (BG 7:13), but is it really? So called 'chetan' or live looking body is actually nothing but inert matter So is it worth attaching to the inert, throw away matter?

Slave (nokar). This body by itself can not do anything; it is a slave of our mind, intellect, ego or aatman. Is it not wise to associate ourselves with the king (who ever it may be right now) rather than slave? It is a simple fact that we benefit more by being associated with the king than slave.

(to be continued..., plz feel free to express your views, thoughts, understanding that can help expand our understanding. Thanks.)

Thanks.

humble regards,

alwasys at Thy Holy Feet---------- Forwarded message ----------Manjula Patel <manjumaa

>Sep 10, 2006 4:10 PMFwd: Let's expand our horizon w/Gitaji - how 2 b dettached: body-world? (1 of 8 emails) <

>

Divine All,

Pranam.

Originally I had written few views on body but our loving Moderator thought my email is too long (which I agreed, thanks :-), I am trying...) so I am presenting just a couple-three thoughts at one time so that we can read and try to digest them easily as we are trying for detachment...

Please see my response below in Red...

Love.

always at Thy Holly Feet

---------- Forwarded message ----------Manjula Patel <

manjumaaAug 27, 2006 12:57 AMLet's expand our horizon w/Gitaji - how 2 b dettached: body-world? (1 of 8 emails) <

>

Loving Divine,

Pranam.

We have very good discussions going on with various questions asked in this group. Thanks to all for their participation and the Moderator for facilitation.

We all say and agree that we need to be detached but the key concern is 'HOW?', isn't it? To address various topics of detachment I have divided them into 8 emails so we can discuss them individually. I have also tried to provide Gita sloka or chapter or a term/word used that have addressed them but Gitaji has lot more to offer...!!! I am a strong believer that the RIGHT UNDERSTANDING is the ONLY way that can lead us to true and deeper level of detachment. So let's expand our horizon together with Gitaji and supportive examples where applicable. Let's pour out our understanding and experiences on how to be truly detached with love & compassion - the true application of Gitaji in our life.

First, let's understand what is body and world? - Just 'kshetra' - Chapter 13 (please do not discuss about kshetrajna in this email). We can also discuss 'dharmakshetra'

, 'kurukshetra', & 'dharmakshetra-kurukshetra' - Chapter 1.

Lord said we need to cultivate this body land. As Gitaji is consider to be an essence of Vedas-Upanishads, I think it is ok to bring examples from other scriptures to support the sloka chosen from Gitaji.

(Please note: provide related Gita Sloka 1st, support it with examples from other scriptures if needed)

Please discuss...

1) What is body, its nature?

Many times Baba has discussed the concept of body and why one should not be attached to it in his own way, the following is my understanding of it.

Divine Mother - Prakriti has wrapped us into three bodies - 'AUM': 'A' - Causal/body of knowledge & ignorance (Kaaran sharir), 'U' - Astral/Psychological (Shukshama sharir), and 'M' - G ross/Physical (Bhautik sharir) . We are starting to dissect ourselves so in this email we want to discuss only about the Gross body (Bhautik sharir) or Biological Body. I think it is easy for all of us to understand what is it .

BG 13:5 / 6. Any one can say that I have skin, tissues, muscles, flesh, bones-skeleton, marrow, internal organs & glands (like heart, lungs, liver, kidney, brain, etc.), blood, nervous system (including arteries, veins, etc.), like this one can even elaborate on each of this individually. But, just r emove the layer of skin from this body, does it look attractive, worth attaching to?

We may say that this body is a 'Devaalay' as mentioned in BG 13:31 - Body (Temple) where God resides... My question is, do we want to get attached to the temple or the Deity that is established within this temple? If you remain attracted to the beauty of this temple and forget to go inside to visit the Deity, your journey remains incomplete, the purpose of visiting the temple remains unfulfilled, isn't it? What will give you more joy - visiting a friend (Lord Krishna) & spending time with Him or just viewing His house from outside & come back?

Dukhaalay (BG 8:15, 13:6). On many occasions, directly or indirectly, in Gitaji this body is referred to as the house of dhukh - pains, illness/ diseases

, sorrows, sufferings, stress, emotions, etc. We (as perceived 'us' to be this body) engage this body in various sense pleasures that are nothing but the cause of lot more pains & sufferings (18:38) so Lord suggest that the intelligent ones don't engage themselves in such activities (5:22). Being attached to or associating ourselves with this body we remain in the cycle of birth-death ( e.g., birth, a painful ordeal - to remain in mother's womb like a prisoner, remain in urine & toilet for 9 months is itself a 'narak yaatnaa'). Being attached to this body, all relationships & pains associated with these relationships come to existence. Also we all know that with changing seasons, changing age, changing environment, changing relationships, changing emotions (2:36), it appears that this body goes through a lot of sufferings, is this dukhaalay, attaching to which results in more pains and become the cause of birth-death cycle worth attaching to? What is in this painful ordeal not letting us turn our face away from it? Lord guides us to remain above dhukha and to engage ourselves in the true union-yoga being our primary duty (6:23).

(to be continued..., plz feel free to express your views, thoughts, understanding that can help us detach from this body. Thanks.)

2) Can body be attached to anything?

3) Is body subject to any pain or pleasure?

4) What is world, its nature?

5) Does material wealth carry any pleasure? Is it worth attaching to?

6) who shall we be attached to, if anybody/thing at all? Is there a need for us to be attached to anybody/thing? Why?

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Love.

always at Thy Feet worthy of worship