IndiaDivine.org

Practise of Gita's teachings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear members, I am a professional working in Europe, but actually from India. I have read a lot about Bhagwat Gita and associated literature. However, whenever i attempt to practise Karma-yoga i.e., work without attachment in my office, i face limitations / partial failure. I am unable to avoid the temptation of mentioning my achievments to my higher-ups or think about the fruits of the hard labour i put on an assignment. I am a bit confused on this subject. Is this theory of Gita only for ideal people to practise and not for mortals??? Even if i delibrately stop advertising myself, i may be inaccurately judged by my Bosses when considering a promotion or salary increase; although i may have factually contributed. All these hidden fears perhaps inhibit practise of Karma Yoga and following spirit of Gita. Why practising Gita is so difficult in real world???

Shall be grateful for comments from the more educated ones. regards Sundeep

Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Following is my understanding of the concept of non attachment to the

outcome doctrine of Gita: My interpretation of Gita Verse 2:47 is that

we have control on our actions and we do not have control on the

outcome. Traditional interpretation is that we should do our action

without " desiring " the outcome. The key difference in my opinion being

" control on a particular outcome " vs " desire for a particular

outcome " . what difference does it make one vs the other: If we are

constaqntly desiring a certain result than fear of failure will set in

or after an early success we will start buiding castles in thin air.

In either case our entire energy, instead of being devoted to the

performance of task at hand, would partly be spent on one of the above

mental preoccupations. This would certainly result in less than optimal

result. But if we realize we have no control on the outcome as stated

below than we can devote all our resources to the performance of the

task at hand and if the rule of cause and effect is true than success is

very likely although not guaranteed.

Why we have no control on outcome is explained in verse 18:12 and 18:13.

It is not just our actions which determine the outcome there are four

other factors at play.

Regarding whether we should brag about our good results or not depends

on whether what stage of spiritual evolution we are in. If we are in a

RAJASIC stage than bragging is expected, If we are in a SATTAVIC stage

than bragging is not expected. If we are in a TAMASIC stage than not

only we will brag but put others down.

Choice is ours to make.

Humbly submitted.

Jag Aggarwal

, sundeep gupta <sundeepgupta1

wrote:

>

> Dear members,

>

> I am a professional working in Europe, but actually from India. I have

read a lot about Bhagwat Gita and associated literature.

>

> However, whenever i attempt to practise Karma-yoga i.e., work without

attachment in my office, i face limitations / partial failure. I am

unable to avoid the temptation of mentioning my achievments to my

higher-ups or think about the fruits of the hard labour i put on an

assignment.

>

> I am a bit confused on this subject. Is this theory of Gita only for

ideal people to practise and not for mortals??? Even if i delibrately

stop advertising myself, i may be inaccurately judged by my Bosses when

considering a promotion or salary increase; although i may have

factually contributed. All these hidden fears perhaps inhibit practise

of Karma Yoga and following spirit of Gita. Why practising Gita is so

difficult in real world???

>

> Shall be grateful for comments from the more educated ones.

>

> regards

> Sundeep

>

>

>

> Finding fabulous fares is fun.

> Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight

and hotel bargains.

>

Dear sadhakas, Pranaam:

As I understand the teaching of Gita is most relevant to any situations in anyone's life and career. It is definitely for us ordinary people otherwise its of little use. Krishnaji cannot make it more clear!

At the very outset we are not the sole doers of our actions(suggest investigating 3 or more major events in your life and see how much they have to do with you as sole doer). We need God given intelligence/mind, opportunities to excel, other people or resources, proper infrastructures and environment, support of family, bosses, and most importantly, right time and place(also known as God's grace-Bhagwat krupa). How can we claim fruits of our actions alone? So we need to take our stand as instruments of such actions as are needed by God as intelligence in us to sustain our lives and those who depend on us. With such an attitude of non-doership, all our karmas become impersonal even if they are for us and our dependents. We can then claim fruits of our karmas in terms of raise or promotions etc. It is a fair play then. This way "we all" take care of ourselves, our families, society, country, and world's need all in an impersonal way!

In summary it is alright to plan for making a living, expecting results, changing course of actions(asking for raise if we truly deserve) before and while performing karmas with the best of our ability. But results of karmas are not in our control so we have to accept them as prasad-buddhi. If we are attached or don't accept results, which signals that we have ego-karta-bhav and then karma-results will bind us. This is consistent with Gita's non attachment (nishkam karmas) principle.

Thanks... Pratap

, sundeep gupta <sundeepgupta1 wrote:>> Dear members,> > I am a professional working in Europe, but actually from India. I have read a lot about Bhagwat Gita and associated literature.> > However, whenever i attempt to practise Karma-yoga i.e., work without attachment in my office, i face limitations / partial failure. I am unable to avoid the temptation of mentioning my achievments to my higher-ups or think about the fruits of the hard labour i put on an assignment. > > I am a bit confused on this subject. Is this theory of Gita only for ideal people to practise and not for mortals??? Even if i delibrately stop advertising myself, i may be inaccurately judged by my Bosses when considering a promotion or salary increase; although i may have factually contributed. All these hidden fears perhaps inhibit practise of Karma Yoga and following spirit of Gita. Why practising Gita is so difficult in real world???> > Shall be grateful for comments from the more educated ones.> > regards> Sundeep> > > > Finding fabulous fares is fun.> Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.>

Dear Sundeepji,

This is excellent question. But you may want to understand little about Philosopy of Vedanta (GIta is one of the main books on Vedanta). You see there is a material world and there is a spiritual world. The goal of a human life is to go from the material world to spiritual world. What most of us make mistakes is to think that we can have a great material world as well as spiritual world. It just not the way Shri Krishna has done it. Now the question is what is material world and what is spiritual world? This is a discussion which is long and little complex, but in brief, six characteristics define material world. And these six things are Kama, Krodha, Lobha, Maoha and Mashcharya. If we are indulged into these six characteristics completely then we are in complete material world and if we have got rid of these six characteristcs, then we are completely in spiritual world. The goal is to make progress from one end to another end. Shri Krishna clearly states in the Gita that none of our efforts are wasted. That means if you ended up this life with 50% progress, then you start your next life not at 0% but at 50%. And then you can progress furhter or degress further based upon your free will. It is lot more complex than that but explaining in a paragraph, that's is the best I could do.

Now your question is that if Gita is for ideal people to practic and not for real mortals. The answer is that it is definitely for mortals but one does not have to reach to 100% progress (referred as idea) in a one day. It is the path of a life time or multiple lifetimes. Therefore, it is not either you follow Gita or you do not follow Gita. The real test is if we make a steady progress in the right direction.

Now does that mean that when you reach to ideal spiritual world), do you have leave family, do you have to leave work, do you have to go to forest and meditate. The answer is not necessarily. One can live in this world and have family, can work but one really has to be aware of Krishna consciousness so that his decisions are made correctly.

You are not the only one who struggles with self promoting us to our bosses. This is a material desire which most of us have but the person who wants to go from material world to spiritual world has to progress slowly but steadily. The end result is possible that we may not get all promotions, and we may not get all money we would have otherwise make, but then a spritual person does not really care for material things anyway. It is hard, make no mistake about it and it does require to be not worry about material desires, but that's why very few people in one life time can attain MOKSHA.

Regards and Love,

Sudhir

On Behalf Of sundeep guptaTuesday, February 06, 2007 8:58 AM Subject: Practise of Gita's teachings

Dear members,

I am a professional working in Europe, but actually from India. I have read a lot about Bhagwat Gita and associated literature.

However, whenever i attempt to practise Karma-yoga i.e., work without attachment in my office, i face limitations / partial failure. I am unable to avoid the temptation of mentioning my achievments to my higher-ups or think about the fruits of the hard labour i put on an assignment.

I am a bit confused on this subject. Is this theory of Gita only for ideal people to practise and not for mortals??? Even if i delibrately stop advertising myself, i may be inaccurately judged by my Bosses when considering a promotion or salary increase; although i may have factually contributed. All these hidden fears perhaps inhibit practise of Karma Yoga and following spirit of Gita. Why practising Gita is so difficult in real world???

Shall be grateful for comments from the more educated ones.

regards

Sundeep

I understand this way: We are not to take PRIDE in our actions and that is it. The emotion pride should not be within ourselves.

I do not see anything wrong in proclaiming your achievements as a matter of fact and without attachments. If you practise this, you will not cross the thin line of being confident and you will appear very proud. In this way Geetha can actually help you. Hope I have clarified your doubt.

On 2/6/07, sundeep gupta <sundeepgupta1 wrote:

Dear members,

I am a professional working in Europe, but actually from India. I have read a lot about Bhagwat Gita and associated literature.

However, whenever i attempt to practise Karma-yoga i.e., work without attachment in my office, i face limitations / partial failure. I am unable to avoid the temptation of mentioning my achievments to my higher-ups or think about the fruits of the hard labour i put on an assignment.

I am a bit confused on this subject. Is this theory of Gita only for ideal people to practise and not for mortals??? Even if i delibrately stop advertising myself, i may be inaccurately judged by my Bosses when considering a promotion or salary increase; although i may have factually contributed. All these hidden fears perhaps inhibit practise of Karma Yoga and following spirit of Gita. Why practising Gita is so difficult in real world???

Shall be grateful for comments from the more educated ones.

regards

Sundeep

Finding fabulous fares is fun.

Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

-- Leela

Thank you for the wonderful answer. I would just like to add that if one fails in following these intitially, not to be disappointed and cry to God to guide us. Shri Krishna is Kripasindhu and always eager to guide those who want to progress towards Him.

On 2/8/07, pratapbhatt <pratapbhatt wrote:

Dear sadhakas, Pranaam:

As I understand the teaching of Gita is most relevant to any situations in anyone's life and career. It is definitely for us ordinary people otherwise its of little use. Krishnaji cannot make it more clear!

At the very outset we are not the sole doers of our actions(suggest investigating 3 or more major events in your life and see how much they have to do with you as sole doer). We need God given intelligence/mind, opportunities to excel, other people or resources, proper infrastructures and environment, support of family, bosses, and most importantly, right time and place(also known as God's grace-Bhagwat krupa). How can we claim fruits of our actions alone? So we need to take our stand as instruments of such actions as are needed by God as intelligence

in us to sustain our lives and those who depend on us. With such an attitude of non-doership, all our karmas become impersonal even if they are for us and our dependents. We can then claim fruits

of our karmas in terms of raise or promotions etc. It is a fair play then. This way " we all " take care of ourselves, our families, society, country, and world's need all in an impersonal way!

In summary it is alright to plan for making a living, expecting results, changing course of actions(asking for raise if we truly deserve) before and while performing karmas with the best of our ability. But results of karmas are not in our control so we have to accept them as prasad-buddhi. If we are attached or don't accept results, which signals that we have ego-karta-bhav and then karma-results will bind us. This is consistent with Gita's non attachment (nishkam karmas) principle.

Thanks... Pratap

, sundeep gupta <sundeepgupta1 wrote:>

> Dear members,> > I am a professional working in Europe, but actually from India. I have read a lot about Bhagwat Gita and associated literature.> > However, whenever i attempt to practise Karma-yoga i.e., work without attachment in my office, i face limitations / partial failure. I am unable to avoid the temptation of mentioning my achievments to my higher-ups or think about the fruits of the hard labour i put on an assignment. > > I am a bit confused on this subject. Is this theory of Gita only for ideal people to practise and not for mortals??? Even if i delibrately stop advertising myself, i may be inaccurately judged by my Bosses when considering a promotion or salary increase; although i may have factually contributed. All these hidden fears perhaps inhibit practise of Karma Yoga and following spirit of Gita. Why practising Gita is so difficult in real world???

> > Shall be grateful for comments from the more educated ones.> > regards> Sundeep> > > > Finding fabulous fares is fun.

> Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.>

Dear Sandeep,

I want to congratulate you on bringing forth for an open discussion, the

deep contradictions you perceive in real life-work situations, and the very

strict interpretations of Gita being put forth in the present forum by well

meaning scholars, on what and how a karma yogi should think and act. I'm a

retired PhD chemist, having spent all my career in US pharma industry. I too

struggled with these conflicts in my youth, and would like to offer some

personal insights in the hope, that you would feel free and unfettered to

live your life and God-given talents to the fullest here on earth, free of

imaginary benefits to be derived from a detached-from-results/fruits

karma-yogi existence leading to moksha.

First of all, remember that all renderings of Gita are interpretations only.

It's a synthesis of 5000 years of spiritual discussions/evolution, and is a

beautiful summary of all prevailing Vedantic thought, presented at a

momentous time and in a fantastic staging. One could interpret any part of

it, without conflict, in a way that resonates with one's life situation and

experiences. Gita reminds us time and again, that what the right action is,

is difficult to know. Thus, Gandhiji considered Krishna's call to Arjuna to

fight and annihilate the enemy as non-violence only.

Without digressing too much, consider the life of the greatest karma Yogi

Krishna himself. All I can recall from the stories, he had a great time, got

the highest praises, affections of maidens, delighted in being center stage

at all momentous occasions. Does any one believe it happened without some

creative pr? And that's the only way we could know of him. Forgive me, I'm

not trying blasphemy here. If Krishna lived the life of detatchment, in the

form its promulgated here, would we have known His glories?

History is filled with the names and doings (good/or bad) of mortals like

us, who took the life by the horns, enjoyed the fruits of thier efforts, and

even made a difference in the lives of other humans. One of the absolutes in

life is WORK! Everyone must work. Why not do it with mirth, and sharing with

our fellow workers? Isn't a life living and working without enthusiasm, or

joy, a drag on everybody around, making the day unbearably long? Recall the

proverb, " a happy heart doeth good " You have hard earned education, and

blessings of human birth and talents. World is a marvelous and incredibly

beautiful place in scope and possibilities. Please don't box your natural

self in, based on anyone's scriptural interpretations. Disappointments are

natural. not all experiments succeed even in the hands of the most skillful

and experienced. try, try try again.

In the immortals words of JFK, here on earth, God's work must be our own.

Listen to your heart and common sense. Pls. read the incredibly practical

advice offered in the great monk Swami Vivekanand's writings, and God

Bless!!!

Om

>sundeep gupta <sundeepgupta1

>

>

> Practise of Gita's teachings

>Tue, 6 Feb 2007 06:57:58 -0800 (PST)

>

>Dear members,

>

> I am a professional working in Europe, but actually from India. I have

>read a lot about Bhagwat Gita and associated literature.

>

> However, whenever i attempt to practise Karma-yoga i.e., work without

>attachment in my office, i face limitations / partial failure. I am unable

>to avoid the temptation of mentioning my achievments to my higher-ups or

>think about the fruits of the hard labour i put on an assignment.

>

> I am a bit confused on this subject. Is this theory of Gita only for

>ideal people to practise and not for mortals??? Even if i delibrately stop

>advertising myself, i may be inaccurately judged by my Bosses when

>considering a promotion or salary increase; although i may have factually

>contributed. All these hidden fears perhaps inhibit practise of Karma Yoga

>and following spirit of Gita. Why practising Gita is so difficult in real

>world???

>

> Shall be grateful for comments from the more educated ones.

>

> regards

> Sundeep

>

>

>

>Finding fabulous fares is fun.

>Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and

>hotel bargains.

• 2 weeks later...

dear brother

sri krishna has said in 'gita' -not to runaway from duty even under adverse conditions.

so no problem in telling your bosses what u have done.

rather tell the whole world what u are doing ,it may help somebody.

yes ,if confused -pray to god-do kirtan/sankiratan/yashogaan/be in the company of saints/pure devotees- & u & u are the best judge:

hari bol