IndiaDivine.org

How to Let Go of Ego ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Deepali D wrote:

I would like to know more about letting go of my ego. Please Help !

Radhe Radhe

Ram Ram

FROM THE MODERATOR

The following are the guidelines for Gita-Talk discussions.

1. Purpose of the group is to help Sadhaks clarify their doubts

related to Gita shlokas. For responses to be posted, they must

further clarify the understanding of Gitaji.

2. Wherever possible, please quote Gitaji or other scriptures to

substantiate the response

3. Please limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc.

4. Kindly make your responses concise and to the point. (Up to

twenty line maximum, if possible).

5. Please limit discussions to subject at hand.

6. Please do not include links to other sites or other organizations

7. Please do not include your personal information such as phone

number, address etc.

8. Kindly do not address the response to a particular individual,

since the message is going to the entire group.

9. Due to a large readership, not all responses will be posted.

10. Moderator at his discretion, may modify the posting, if content

is unclear or not appropriate for distribution to the group.

Ram Ram

Guest guest

Dear Sadhaka, Namaste!

Question is " I want to know more about letting go of my Ego, please

help " .

It implies, isn't it, that there is " I " who wants to let go of

her/his ego. If investigated whether there are two: subject " I " and

Ego, meaning another " I " or " me " , one may discover with open mind,

that there are not two; subject I, and object ego. By Ego is meant

doership of all actions performed. This doership results from

assuming body-mind as separate entity who does the actions/deeds.

The mind is divided between " I " and what it calls ego. It is the same ego/mind

that wants to control itself. This is not possible!

One can see experientially that there is only One awareness/Consciousness/Atman

in which the doership arises as thought in the mind and feelings in the body. I

am doer of my deeds is the After-thought, when action is already performed.

While action is being performed there is never duality only awareness!

In knowing this deeply that there are not two, the division of mind is arrested

and the conflict of controlling mind is rendered unwarranted. Ego is

mitigated/anhiliated in such knowledge! Mind-body will resolve into one

awareness! It will be seen that Awareness/Atman uses mind-body as instrument

activated by thoughts/feelings/sense-organs, inspires to act to carry out its

play! No such personal doer " I " , which is only a knowledge based mechanism for

acting! We wrongly assume it to be " I " in ignorance!

Namaskar... Pratap

-

Dear D,

In my judgement, the fastest way to attack the Ego is " Sarv Bhoot Hite Ratah "

Gitaji Chapter 12 Verse 4.

A.H.Dalmia

-

READING CONTEMPLATING ON GITA WILL HELP WITH ELIMINATING EGO. THE PURPOSE OF

GITA IS TO ENLIGHTEN ONESELF, TO EDUCATE THE SOCIETY AND

HUMAN BEINGS AT LARGE, AND TO LIBERATES ONE FROM ALL SUFFERING.

REGARDS

N.PANDA

-

, " sadhak_insight "

<sadhak_insight wrote:

>

> Deepali D wrote:

>

> I would like to know more about letting go of my ego. Please

Help !

>

> Radhe Radhe

>

> Ram Ram

>

> FROM THE MODERATOR

> The following are the guidelines for Gita-Talk discussions.

>

> 1. Purpose of the group is to help Sadhaks clarify their doubts

> related to Gita shlokas. For responses to be posted, they must

> further clarify the understanding of Gitaji.

> 2. Wherever possible, please quote Gitaji or other scriptures to

> substantiate the response

> 3. Please limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc.

> 4. Kindly make your responses concise and to the point. (Up to

> twenty line maximum, if possible).

> 5. Please limit discussions to subject at hand.

> 6. Please do not include links to other sites or other

organizations

> 7. Please do not include your personal information such as phone

> number, address etc.

> 8. Kindly do not address the response to a particular individual,

> since the message is going to the entire group.

> 9. Due to a large readership, not all responses will be posted.

> 10. Moderator at his discretion, may modify the posting, if content

> is unclear or not appropriate for distribution to the group.

>

> MODERATOR

>

> Ram Ram

>

Guest guest

Dear Pratapji,

Your understanding is praise worthy. I may supplement the same in simpler words by saying that "Ego" in adhyatma really means "I am the body". When we desire to move in the direction of annihilation of EGO, we are really to work towards separation of self (Atma) from the body. Gitaji has shown three paths to achieve the same - Karma Yog, Gyan Yog and Bhakti Yog. In all cases, what is involved is "Tyag". I do not wish to elaborate on the same because I am sure you very well understand these.

A.H.Dalmia

--------- Attacking our ego and analysing our ego is good provided it also leads us to oppose those who are ruining our society and our country. Otherwise it's better to attack corruption instead of entertaining ourselves with definitions of ego

Arun Bhatia

---------

To understand ego is not really a matter so complicated that one enter into Brahm Gyana. It is primary step, and physical sciences are good enough to eradicate this disease. On principle, ego is a defense in absence of the awareness of the system. As a person with all life invested in learning management, I find 'ego' often replacing a system in owner managed small organizations. These people think their words must be obeyed and people get paid for it. This certainly is a cause of their smallness. A result is produced by the system and each one has his/her role to play in it. Often in large companies, the Mg Directors are without a sense of 'ego' because they already know how a system is put to work. For example, Bill Gates is never proud of himself. He never talks of turn over of his company or the market share but he certainly talks of talented employees in different areas doing exciting work and producing new future. This absence of the ego is the first step in Krishna Bakti. Sri Krishna says in the Bhagwat Gita that the system delivers the result and none either be responsible or take credit. One should do his/her job and be aware of the system (both conditions are necessary), and results are guaranteed. K G Misra ---------

Jai Shree Krishna!!

We do not let go or get rid of the ego, the ego surrenders itself to the Self. The easiest way to have our ego surrender itself is to perform service to humanity. Mahatma Gandhiji said, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." When we focus on serving others in all that we do, we are not focused on the fruits of our labour and ourselves. Stay focus on the service, and, eventually, on its own and very gently, the ego surrenders itself. And life is 'bliss'.

Pay attention to your thoughts as thougths give rise to words and actions which leads to your destiny/ goal.

With Love Peace

tara

In the Service of Humanity and Guruji

---------

-

pratapbhatt

Friday, June 01, 2007 6:48 AM

Re: How to Let Go of Ego ?

Dear Sadhaka, Namaste!Question is "I want to know more about letting go of my Ego, please help".It implies, isn't it, that there is "I" who wants to let go of her/his ego. If investigated whether there are two: subject "I" and Ego, meaning another "I" or "me", one may discover with open mind, that there are not two; subject I, and object ego. By Ego is meant doership of all actions performed. This doership results from assuming body-mind as separate entity who does the actions/deeds.The mind is divided between "I" and what it calls ego. It is the same ego/mind that wants to control itself. This is not possible! One can see experientially that there is only One awareness/Consciousness/Atman in which the doership arises as thought in the mind and feelings in the body. I am doer of my deeds is the After-thought, when action is already performed. While action is being performed there is never duality only awareness! In knowing this deeply that there are not two, the division of mind is arrested and the conflict of controlling mind is rendered unwarranted. Ego is mitigated/anhiliated in such knowledge! Mind-body will resolve into one awareness! It will be seen that Awareness/Atman uses mind-body as instrument activated by thoughts/feelings/sense-organs, inspires to act to carry out its play! No such personal doer "I", which is only a knowledge based mechanism for acting! We wrongly assume it to be "I" in ignorance!Namaskar... Pratap ------------------------- Dear D,In my judgement, the fastest way to attack the Ego is "Sarv Bhoot Hite Ratah" Gitaji Chapter 12 Verse 4.A.H.Dalmia------------------------- READING CONTEMPLATING ON GITA WILL HELP WITH ELIMINATING EGO. THE PURPOSE OF GITA IS TO ENLIGHTEN ONESELF, TO EDUCATE THE SOCIETY ANDHUMAN BEINGS AT LARGE, AND TO LIBERATES ONE FROM ALL SUFFERING.REGARDSN.PANDA------------------------- , "sadhak_insight" <sadhak_insight wrote:>> Deepali D wrote:> > I would like to know more about letting go of my ego. Please Help ! > > Radhe Radhe> > Ram Ram > > FROM THE MODERATOR> The following are the guidelines for Gita-Talk discussions. > > 1. Purpose of the group is to help Sadhaks clarify their doubts > related to Gita shlokas. For responses to be posted, they must > further clarify the understanding of Gitaji. > 2. Wherever possible, please quote Gitaji or other scriptures to > substantiate the response > 3. Please limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. > 4. Kindly make your responses concise and to the point. (Up to > twenty line maximum, if possible). > 5. Please limit discussions to subject at hand. > 6. Please do not include links to other sites or other organizations > 7. Please do not include your personal information such as phone > number, address etc. > 8. Kindly do not address the response to a particular individual, > since the message is going to the entire group. > 9. Due to a large readership, not all responses will be posted. > 10. Moderator at his discretion, may modify the posting, if content > is unclear or not appropriate for distribution to the group. > > MODERATOR > > Ram Ram>

Guest guest

Friends

In response to email of Ms Deepali D

How to let go of ego

Following verses contains reference to ego,

2nd chapter-71,3rd chapter-27,13th chapter-5,16th chapter-4,10,17,18 and chapter 18th-17,24,26 and 53.

As per 3:27 Ego is due to a person believing himself to be doer-karta

As per18:17 absence of the feeling that I am the doer and whose intelligence does not get submerged in doership

As per 18:53 -important

Reading of the above verses may help in understanding nature of ego.

Ego is the symptom and there may not be a direct solution or a way for letting go of ego.

Ego takes out joy and peace from our life and Gita's starting point is about recreating joy and peace in our life.

Based on my understanding ,some suggestions:

1) Identify your feeling-is it ego or fear.confusing the two distinct emotions will not lead to a solution.

2)Feel the presence of God in everyone including people disliked.Others have perfect reasons for their behavior as we have.

3)Do a good deed everyday to develop kindness and joy in heart.

4)forgive at earliest ,unconditionally and completely.

5)Delay your reaction of anger,resentment etc atleast by half-an-hour to provide a buffer/shock absorber.

6)Remember-everyone has his/her destiny and allow them freedom to choose and learn by mistake.Our duty is to show them power of choice.

While this forum provides opportunity to share views ,we have freedom to discard any view not acceptable.

regards

A.K.Jain ----- omkalankinamah

all three margs comes in ome mantra do it and feel it

omkalankinamah

Nitin Bora

-----

dear bandhus, ego is nothing but I am okay but you are NOT okay. there is no ego when some one REALLY accepts he/she is okay and OTHERS TOO. s seshadri ----- Dear Sadhakas, Namaste! Few observations may be of order based on comments by all of us on "letting go of Ego"! In addition to doing what best suits us from all good suggestions made, we can also incorporate in depth understanding of Ego which is truly 'Ignorance of our true nature" . My experience tells me that it is understanding deeply what I am rather than doing anything to get rid of Ego or Ignorance is the most effective way, specially for those of us who are Gita-talk group readers and Guruji's followers! Mind based sense of I, Ego cannot get rid of itself, come what may happen! This insight in itself brings surrender and goes a long ways! With open mind looking at my experience now, "I am" is the only real experience, meaning there is Consciousness of Existence right now taking place. This is not personal existence, and also not of the mind, but is a direct self-evident experience. Now I give this impersonal experience a spin by saying I am "this body-Pratap", "Hindu, Son of... , Father of ,,,, , Highly educated or uneducated, poor, rich etc etc". This spin makes my impersonal experience very limited and separates "me" from the Whole Consciousness which we all share, and is Brahman! This is ignorance of what I am truly is caused by my identifications or disidentifications with this or that ! If we remain open to what I am, God will do the rest! All our actions then will come from Wholeness, Truth, Consciousness, Atman or call whatever; and not from personal "me". Only Such actions flowing from all-out Intelligence, not mine or yours, will solve problems of corruptions, poverty, violence, by directing, organizing collective or individual actions or whatever it takes! Only impersonal actions have power to perform miracles! But First let us realize this Upanisadic Truth! Namaskar.....Pratap! From Pratap Bhatt ----- -

A H Dalmia

02/06/ 2007 11:19

Re: Re: How to Let Go of Ego ?

Dear Pratapji,

Your understanding is praise worthy. I may supplement the same in simpler words by saying that "Ego" in adhyatma really means "I am the body". When we desire to move in the direction of annihilation of EGO, we are really to work towards separation of self (Atma) from the body. Gitaji has shown three paths to achieve the same - Karma Yog, Gyan Yog and Bhakti Yog. In all cases, what is involved is "Tyag". I do not wish to elaborate on the same because I am sure you very well understand these.

A.H.Dalmia

----- --------- Attacking our ego and analysing our ego is good provided it also leads us to oppose those who are ruining our society and our country. Otherwise it's better to attack corruption instead of entertaining ourselves with definitions of ego Arun Bhatia

----- To understand ego is not really a matter so complicated that one enter into Brahm Gyana. It is primary step, and physical sciences are good enough to eradicate this disease. On principle, ego is a defense in absence of the awareness of the system. As a person with all life invested in learning management, I find 'ego' often replacing a system in owner managed small organizations. These people think their words must be obeyed and people get paid for it. This certainly is a cause of their smallness. A result is produced by the system and each one has his/her role to play in it. Often in large companies, the Mg Directors are without a sense of 'ego' because they already know how a system is put to work. For example, Bill Gates is never proud of himself. He never talks of turn over of his company or the market share but he certainly talks of talented employees in different areas doing exciting work and producing new future. This absence of the ego is the first step in Krishna Bakti. Sri Krishna says in the Bhagwat Gita that the system delivers the result and none either be responsible or take credit. One should do his/her job and be aware of the system (both conditions are necessary), and results are guaranteed.

K G Misra

----- Jai Shree Krishna!! We do not let go or get rid of the ego, the ego surrenders itself to the Self. The easiest way to have our ego surrender itself is to perform service to humanity. Mahatma Gandhiji said, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." When we focus on serving others in all that we do, we are not focused on the fruits of our labour and ourselves. Stay focus on the service, and, eventually, on its own and very gently, the ego surrenders itself. And life is 'bliss'. Pay attention to your thoughts as thougths give rise to words and actions which leads to your destiny/ goal. With Love Peace tara In the Service of Humanity and Guruji

-----

-

pratapbhatt

Dear Sadhaka, Namaste!Question is "I want to know more about letting go of my Ego, please help".It implies, isn't it, that there is "I" who wants to let go of her/his ego. If investigated whether there are two: subject "I" and Ego, meaning another "I" or "me", one may discover with open mind, that there are not two; subject I, and object ego. By Ego is meant doership of all actions performed. This doership results from assuming body-mind as separate entity who does the actions/deeds.The mind is divided between "I" and what it calls ego. It is the same ego/mind that wants to control itself. This is not possible! One can see experientially that there is only One awareness/Consciousness/Atman in which the doership arises as thought in the mind and feelings in the body. I am doer of my deeds is the After-thought, when action is already performed. While action is being performed there is never duality only awareness! In knowing this deeply that there are not two, the division of mind is arrested and the conflict of controlling mind is rendered unwarranted. Ego is mitigated/anhiliated in such knowledge! Mind-body will resolve into one awareness! It will be seen that Awareness/Atman uses mind-body as instrument activated by thoughts/feelings/sense-organs, inspires to act to carry out its play! No such personal doer "I", which is only a knowledge based mechanism for acting! We wrongly assume it to be "I" in ignorance!Namaskar... Pratap ----- Dear D,In my judgement, the fastest way to attack the Ego is "Sarv Bhoot Hite Ratah" Gitaji Chapter 12 Verse 4.A.H.Dalmia

----- READING CONTEMPLATING ON GITA WILL HELP WITH ELIMINATING EGO. THE PURPOSE OF GITA IS TO ENLIGHTEN ONESELF, TO EDUCATE THE SOCIETY ANDHUMAN BEINGS AT LARGE, AND TO LIBERATES ONE FROM ALL SUFFERING.REGARDSN.PANDA

----- , "sadhak_insight" <sadhak_insight wrote:>> Deepali D wrote:> > I would like to know more about letting go of my ego. Please Help ! > > Radhe Radhe> > Ram Ram > > FROM THE MODERATOR> The following are the guidelines for Gita-Talk discussions. > > 1. Purpose of the group is to help Sadhaks clarify their doubts > related to Gita shlokas. For responses to be posted, they must > further clarify the understanding of Gitaji. > 2. Wherever possible, please quote Gitaji or other scriptures to > substantiate the response > 3. Please limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. > 4. Kindly make your responses concise and to the point. (Up to > twenty line maximum, if possible). > 5. Please limit discussions to subject at hand. > 6. Please do not include links to other sites or other organizations > 7. Please do not include your personal information such as phone > number, address etc. > 8. Kindly do not address the response to a particular individual, > since the message is going to the entire group. > 9. Due to a large readership, not all responses will be posted. > 10. Moderator at his discretion, may modify the posting, if content > is unclear or not appropriate for distribution to the group. > > MODERATOR > > Ram Ram>

Guest guest

Friends

I remember reading one time as follows-

The shape of balloon is visible to others only if there is air in it. As u go in filling air the shape (so to say qualities) starts to develop. in the early stage if U take a pin and gently insert it in balloon, nothing happens. but if the ballon is over filled with air and very tight, then even with a touch the balloon is likely to burst. ( from shape to no shape )

This ballon is the individual and air is the ego. But having a huge ego to the extent that a pin (small things) can burst U than u had it.

That limit is different for every one and we have to understand that limit and at that stage teachings of Geeta help.

As rightly said by Mr. Jain we have the freedom to accept or discard the opinions expressed.

Regards,

Dr. Madhu Phull

omkalankinamah

only one mantra that is OMKALANKINAMAH it is the present name of vishnu WHO WILL HELP you to let go your ego but you have to be honest to yourselves and for others then only it will do

omkalankinamah

From Nitin Bora

Dear Friends,

Below are given many ways of trying to understand what ego is and

how to banish it from one's life. Here is just one more - it is

very easy to understand, and hopefully this should us show

EGO the door!

" Ego is the anaesthetic which Nature has given Mankind, to dull

the pain of knowing that he is a Fool!"

Regards,

Kashmira Grewal

Aham (ego) is one of the five invisible parts of sukhsam shareer (subtle body) which consists of mana (mind), buddhi (intellect), chitta, aham (ego) and atma (Self, soul, spirit). Ego (aham) is an invisible faculty not controlled or governed by atma (soul).

The function of aham is to make claims. E.g. this is me, this is mine , this for me , this is done by me. But who is claiming this to be that identity called Ramesh ? Answer is none of them. because none of them are the Self. So who is claiming? The invisible faculty of aham (ego) is claiming to be Self. The Self, Soul (atma) is not claiming to be Ramesh coz atma is without name and form.

ramans shriman

SEVERAL MESSAGES SHORTENED BY MODERATOR FOR CLARITY AND BREVITY

On 6/6/07, A.K.Jain <akjain wrote:

Friends

How to let go of ego

2nd chapter-71,3rd chapter-27,13th chapter-5,16th chapter-4,10,17,18 and chapter 18th-17,24,26 and 53.

As per18:17 absence of the feeling that I am the doer and whose intelligence does not get submerged in doership

Ego is the symptom and there may not be a direct solution or a way for letting go of ego.

Ego takes out joy and peace from our life and Gita's starting point is about recreating joy and peace in our life.

1) Identify your feeling-is it ego or fear.confusing the two distinct emotions will not lead to a solution.

2)Feel the presence of God in everyone including people disliked.Others have perfect reasons for their behavior as we have.

5)Delay your reaction of anger,resentment etc atleast by half-an-hour to provide a buffer/shock absorber.

6)Remember-everyone has his/her destiny and allow them freedom to choose and learn by mistake.Our duty is to show them power of choice.

While this forum provides opportunity to share views ,we have freedom to discard any view not acceptable.

regards

A.K.Jain

-----

omkalankinamah

omkalankinamah Nitin Bora -----

dear bandhus, ego is nothing but I am okay but you are NOT okay.

there is no ego when some one REALLY accepts he/she is okay and OTHERS TOO.

s seshadri ----- Dear Sadhakas, Namaste!

Few observations may be of order based on comments by all of us on " letting go of Ego " !

In addition to doing what best suits us from all good suggestions made, we can also incorporate in depth understanding of Ego which is truly 'Ignorance of our true nature " .

My experience tells me that it is understanding deeply what I am rather than doing anything to get rid of Ego or Ignorance is the most effective way, specially for those of us who are Gita-talk group readers and Guruji's followers! Mind based sense of I, Ego cannot get rid of itself, come what may happen! This insight in itself brings surrender and goes a long ways!

With open mind looking at my experience now, " I am " is the only real experience, meaning there is Consciousness of Existence right now taking place. This is not personal existence, and also not of the mind, but is a direct self-evident experience. Now I give this impersonal experience a spin by saying I am " this body-Pratap " , " Hindu, Son of... , Father of ,,,, , Highly educated or uneducated, poor, rich etc etc " . This spin makes my impersonal experience very limited and separates " me " from the Whole Consciousness which we all share, and is Brahman! This is ignorance of what I am truly is caused by my identifications or disidentifications with this or that !

If we remain open to what I am, God will do the rest! All our actions then will come from Wholeness, Truth, Consciousness, Atman or call whatever; and not from personal " me " . Only Such actions flowing from all-out Intelligence, not mine or yours, will solve problems of corruptions, poverty, violence, by directing, organizing collective or individual actions or whatever it takes! Only impersonal actions have power to perform miracles!

But First let us realize this Upanisadic Truth!

Namaskar.....Pratap! From Pratap Bhatt

-----

-

A H Dalmia

Dear Pratapji,

Your understanding is praise worthy. I may supplement the same in simpler words by saying that " Ego " in adhyatma really means " I am the body " . When we desire to move in the direction of annihilation of EGO, we are really to work towards separation of self (Atma) from the body. Gitaji has shown three paths to achieve the same - Karma Yog, Gyan Yog and Bhakti Yog. In all cases, what is involved is " Tyag " . I do not wish to elaborate on the same because I am sure you very well understand these.

A.H.Dalmia----- --------- Attacking our ego and analysing our ego is good provided it also leads us to oppose those who are ruining our society and our country. Otherwise it's better to attack corruption instead of entertaining ourselves with definitions of ego Arun Bhatia ----- To understand ego is not really a matter so complicated that one enter into Brahm Gyana. It is primary step, and physical sciences are good enough to eradicate this disease. On principle, ego is a defense in absence of the awareness of the system. As a person with all life invested in learning management, I find 'ego' often replacing a system in owner managed small organizations. These people think their words must be obeyed and people get paid for it. This certainly is a cause of their smallness. A result is produced by the system and each one has his/her role to play in it. Often in large companies, the Mg Directors are without a sense of 'ego' because they already know how a system is put to work. For example, Bill Gates is never proud of himself. He never talks of turn over of his company or the market share but he certainly talks of talented employees in different areas doing exciting work and producing new future. This absence of the ego is the first step in Krishna Bakti. Sri Krishna says in the Bhagwat Gita that the system delivers the result and none either be responsible or take credit. One should do his/her job and be aware of the system (both conditions are necessary), and results are guaranteed. K G Misra ----- Jai Shree Krishna!! We do not let go or get rid of the ego, the ego surrenders itself to the Self. The easiest way to have our ego surrender itself is to perform service to humanity. Mahatma Gandhiji said, " The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. " When we focus on serving others in all that we do, we are not focused on the fruits of our labour and ourselves. Stay focus on the service, and, eventually, on its own and very gently, the ego surrenders itself. And life is 'bliss'. Pay attention to your thoughts as thougths give rise to words and actions which leads to your destiny/ goal. With Love Peace tara In the Service of Humanity and Guruji -----

-

pratapbhatt

Dear Sadhaka, Namaste!Question is " I want to know more about letting go of my Ego, please help " .It implies, isn't it, that there is " I " who wants to let go of her/his ego. If investigated whether there are two: subject " I " and Ego, meaning another " I " or " me " , one may discover with open mind, that there are not two; subject I, and object ego. By Ego is meant doership of all actions performed. This doership results from assuming body-mind as separate entity who does the actions/deeds.The mind is divided between " I " and what it calls ego. It is the same ego/mind that wants to control itself. This is not possible!

One can see experientially that there is only One awareness/Consciousness/Atman in which the doership arises as thought in the mind and feelings in the body. I am doer of my deeds is the After-thought, when action is already performed. While action is being performed there is never duality only awareness! In knowing this deeply that there are not two, the division of mind is arrested and the conflict of controlling mind is rendered unwarranted. Ego is mitigated/anhiliated in such knowledge! Mind-body will resolve into one awareness! It will be seen that Awareness/Atman uses mind-body as instrument activated by thoughts/feelings/sense-organs, inspires to act to carry out its play! No such personal doer " I " , which is only a knowledge based mechanism for acting! We wrongly assume it to be " I " in ignorance!

Namaskar... Pratap ----- Dear D,In my judgement, the fastest way to attack the Ego is " Sarv Bhoot Hite Ratah " Gitaji Chapter 12 Verse 4.A.H.Dalmia ----- READING CONTEMPLATING ON GITA WILL HELP WITH ELIMINATING EGO. THE PURPOSE OF GITA IS TO ENLIGHTEN ONESELF, TO EDUCATE THE SOCIETY ANDHUMAN BEINGS AT LARGE, AND TO LIBERATES ONE FROM ALL SUFFERING.REGARDS

N.PANDA ----- , " sadhak_insight " <sadhak_insight wrote:

>> Deepali D wrote:> > I would like to know more about letting go of my ego. Please Help ! > > Radhe Radhe> > Ram Ram > > FROM THE MODERATOR> The following are the guidelines for Gita-Talk discussions. > > 1. Purpose of the group is to help Sadhaks clarify their doubts > related to Gita shlokas. For responses to be posted, they must > further clarify the understanding of Gitaji. > 2. Wherever possible, please quote Gitaji or other scriptures to > substantiate the response > 3. Please limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. > 4. Kindly make your responses concise and to the point. (Up to > twenty line maximum, if possible).

> 5. Please limit discussions to subject at hand. > 6. Please do not include links to other sites or other organizations > 7. Please do not include your personal information such as phone > number, address etc. > 8. Kindly do not address the response to a particular individual, > since the message is going to the entire group. > 9. Due to a large readership, not all responses will be posted. > 10. Moderator at his discretion, may modify the posting, if content > is unclear or not appropriate for distribution to the group. > > MODERATOR > > Ram Ram>

Guest guest

It seems to me that there are two parts to this process, 1) the letting go of all exterior identities, title, name, prominence or improminence in any sphere. That does not mean just intellectually saying "I've let go" but to do so unto death..."No birth, no death, no cast have i, I am He, I am He." Paramahansa Yogananda One exercise that works well is to ask oneself, who am I without this name? Who am I without this religion? Who am I without this spouse? Who am I without this racial background? Who am I without this title or status in society? Ultimately, just like when we lose a limb or other body part, we have th epotential to realize, that we are not the body and that our essence still exists.

Part 2) precedes all the meaningless talk. That is consciously transcending the conscious mind by first getting it quiet via concentration on the point between the eyebrows and techniques of observing the breath. In time and with proper instruction, this can be achieved by anyone, since humans are wired for it. Then, after some time, listening to the sounds of the cerebral-spinal centers and Om and then moving the energy up and down the spine leads to samadhi. This is over simplified, but the key point is not discussing, but practice. Jesus Christ said, "If thine eye be single, thy whole body will be filled with light.", a good starting point.

The letting go of all ego attachments and the courage to do so will come naturally with practice of the the methods alluded to in the Gita. Otherwise we are just intellectual spaghetti trying to untangle ourselves.

Tim

-------------- Original message -------------- "Madhu Phull" <madhu46

Friends

I remember reading one time as follows-

The shape of balloon is visible to others only if there is air in it. As u go in filling air the shape (so to say qualities) starts to develop. in the early stage if U take a pin and gently insert it in balloon, nothing happens. but if the ballon is over filled with air and very tight, then even with a touch the balloon is likely to burst. ( from shape to no shape )

This ballon is the individual and air is the ego. But having a huge ego to the extent that a pin (small things) can burst U than u had it.

That limit is different for every one and we have to understand that limit and at that stage teachings of Geeta help.

As rightly said by Mr. Jain we have the freedom to accept or discard the opinions expressed.

Regards,

Dr. Madhu Phull omkalankinamah

only one mantra that is OMKALANKINAMAH it is the present name of vishnu WHO WILL HELP you to let go your ego but you have to be honest to yourselves and for others then only it will do

omkalankinamah From Nitin Bora Dear Friends,

Below are given many ways of trying to understand what ego is and how to banish it from one's life. Here is just one more - it is very easy to understand, and hopefully this should us show EGO the door! " Ego is the anaesthetic which Nature has given Mankind, to dull the pain of knowing that he is a Fool!"

Regards, Kashmira Grewal Aham (ego) is one of the five invisible parts of sukhsam shareer (subtle body) which consists of mana (mind), buddhi (intellect), chitta, aham (ego) and atma (Self, soul, spirit). Ego (aham) is an invisible faculty not controlled or governed by atma (soul). The function of aham is to make claims. E.g. this is me, this is mine , this for me , this is done by me. But who is claiming this to be that identity called Ramesh ? Answer is none of them. because none of them are the Self. So who is claiming? The invisible faculty of aham (ego) is claiming to be Self. The Self, Soul (atma) is not claiming to be Ramesh coz atma is without name and form.

ramans shriman SEVERAL MESSAGES SHORTENED BY MODERATOR FOR CLARITY AND BREVITY

On 6/6/07, A.K.Jain <akjain (AT) binani (DOT) net> wrote:

Friends

How to let go of ego

regards

A.K.Jain

-----

omkalankinamah

omkalankinamah Nitin Bora -----

dear bandhus, ego is nothing but I am okay but you are NOT okay.

there is no ego when some one REALLY accepts he/she is okay and OTHERS TOO.

s seshadri ----- Dear Sadhakas, Namaste!

Few observations may be of order based on comments by all of us on "letting go of Ego"!

In addition to doing what best suits us from all good suggestions made, we can also incorporate in depth understanding of Ego which is truly 'Ignorance of our true nature" .

My experience tells me that it is understanding deeply what I am rather than doing anything to get rid of Ego or Ignorance is the most effective way, specially for those of us who are Gita-talk group readers and Guruji's followers! Mind based sense of I, Ego cannot get rid of itself, come what may happen! This insight in itself brings surrender and goes a long ways!

With open mind looking at my experience now, "I am" is the only real experience, meaning there is Consciousness of Existence right now taking place. This is not personal existence, and also not of the mind, but is a direct self-evident experience. Now I give this impersonal experience a spin by saying I am "this body-Pratap", "Hindu, Son of... , Father of ,,,, , Highly educated or uneducated, poor, rich etc etc". This spin makes my impersonal experience very limited and separates "me" from the Whole Consciousness which we all share, and is Brahman! This is ignorance of what I am truly is caused by my identifications or disidentifications with this or that !

If we remain open to what I am, God will do the rest! All our actions then will come from Wholeness, Truth, Consciousness, Atman or call whatever; and not from personal "me". Only Such actions flowing from all-out Intelligence, not mine or yours, will solve problems of corruptions, poverty, violence, by directing, organizing collective or individual actions or whatever it takes! Only impersonal actions have power to perform miracles!

But First let us realize this Upanisadic Truth!

Namaskar.....Pratap! From Pratap Bhatt

-----

-

A H Dalmia

Dear Pratapji,

A.H.Dalmia----- --------- Attacking our ego and analysing our ego is good provided it also leads us to oppose those who are ruining our society and our country. Otherwise it's better to attack corruption instead of entertaining ourselves with definitions of ego Arun Bhatia ----- To understand ego is not really a matter so complicated that one enter into Brahm Gyana. It is primary step, and physical sciences are good enough to eradicate this disease. On principle, ego is a defense in absence of the awareness of the system. As a person with all life invested in learning management, I find 'ego' often replacing a system in owner managed small organizations. These people think their words must be obeyed and people get paid for it. This certainly is a cause of their smallness. A result is produced by the system and each one has his/her role to play in it. Often in large companies, the Mg Directors are without a sense of 'ego' because they already know how a system is put to work. For example, Bill Gates is never proud of himself. He never talks of turn over of his company or the market share but he certainly talks of talented employees in different areas doing exciting work and producing new future. This absence of the ego is the first step in Krishna Bakti.

Sri Krishna says in the Bhagwat Gita that the system delivers the result and none either be responsible or take credit. One should do his/her job and be aware of the system (both conditions are necessary), and results are guaranteed. K G Misra ----- Jai Shree Krishna!! We do not let go or get rid of the ego, the ego surrenders itself to the Self. The easiest way to have our ego surrender itself is to perform service to humanity. Mahatma Gandhiji said, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." When we focus on serving others in all that we do, we are not focused on the fruits of our labour and ourselves. Stay focus on the service, and, eventually, on its own and very gently, the ego surrenders itself. And life is 'bliss'. Pay attention to your thoughts as thougths give rise to words and actions which leads to your destiny/ goal. With Love Peace tara In the Service of Humanity and Guruji -----

-

pratapbhatt

Dear Sadhaka, Namaste!Question is "I want to know more about letting go of my Ego, please help".It implies, isn't it, that there is "I" who wants to let go of her/his ego. If investigated whether there are two: subject "I" and Ego, meaning another "I" or "me", one may discover with open mind, that there are not two; subject I, and object ego. By Ego is meant doership of all actions performed. This doership results from assuming body-mind as separate entity who does the actions/deeds.The mind is divided between "I" and what it calls ego. It is the same ego/mind that wants to control itself. This is not possible! One can see experientially that there is only One awareness/Consciousness/Atman in which the doership arises as thought in the mind and feelings in the body. I am doer of my deeds is the After-thought, when action is already performed. While action is being performed there is never duality only awareness! In knowing

this deeply that there are not two, the division of mind is arrested and the conflict of controlling mind is rendered unwarranted. Ego is mitigated/anhiliated in such knowledge! Mind-body will resolve into one awareness! It will be seen that Awareness/Atman uses mind-body as instrument activated by thoughts/feelings/sense-organs, inspires to act to carry out its play! No such personal doer "I", which is only a knowledge based mechanism for acting! We wrongly assume it to be "I" in ignorance! Namaskar... Pratap ----- Dear D,In my judgement, the fastest way to attack the Ego is "Sarv Bhoot Hite Ratah" Gitaji Chapter 12 Verse 4.A.H.Dalmia ----- READING CONTEMPLATING ON GITA WILL HELP WITH ELIMINATING EGO. THE PURPOSE OF GITA IS TO ENLIGHTEN ONESELF, TO EDUCATE THE SOCIETY ANDHUMAN BEINGS AT LARGE, AND TO LIBERATES ONE FROM ALL SUFFERING.REGARDS N.PANDA ----- , "sadhak_insight" <sadhak_insight wrote: >> Deepali D wrote:> > I would like to know more about letting go of my ego. Please Help ! > > Radhe Radhe> > Ram Ram > > FROM THE MODERATOR> The following are the guidelines for Gita-Talk discussions. > > 1. Purpose of the group is to help Sadhaks clarify their doubts > related to Gita shlokas. For responses to be posted, they must > further clarify the understanding of Gitaji. > 2. Wherever possible, please quote Gitaji or other scriptures to > substantiate the response > 3. Please limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. > 4. Kindly make your responses concise and to the point. (Up to > twenty line maximum, if possible). > 5. Please limit discussions to subject at hand. > 6. Please do not include links to other sites or other organizations > 7. Please do not include your personal information such as phone > number, address etc. > 8. Kindly do not address the response to a particular individual, > since the message is going to the entire group. > 9. Due to a large readership, not all responses will be posted. > 10. Moderator at his discretion, may modify the posting, if content > is unclear or not appropriate for distribution to the group. > > MODERATOR > > Ram Ram>

Guest guest

Shree Hari

Ram Ram

Regarding Ego and rooting it out, here is something that Swamiji

used to say often -

" By doing nothing for one's own interest, the sense of ego will be

wiped out. "

Here is one of His messages .....

The more effort we put into getting rid of this ego, the more it

becomes firmly established. The more ways that we find to wipe out

the pride and arrogance, the solutions themselves will increase our

ego. It is truly very difficult to get rid of Ego.

A spiritual aspirant must keep in mind that whatever good qualities

he has, are not his own, rather they have come from God. Being a

part of God, the Self (Atma) is flawless and without qualities.

Therefore those great qualities should be understood as being God's,

not ours. By believing and understanding with a firm resolve that

these good qualities are all God's, there will be no ego. This

pride and arrogance cannot be rooted out by our self, it needs the

grace of God. On this subject a spiritual aspirant must remain very

vigilant.

From " Mere toh Giridhar Gopal, dusero na koi " in Hindi by Swami

Ramsukhdasji.

Ram Ram

______________________________\

_

The statement " Ego can be ones friend and ego can be ones enemy. "

This I believe has a deep meaning.

What drove Mahatma Gandhi to do all the deeds that he did in his

life time. Some times I wonder if he would have taken up the cause

if he was not thrown out of that train in South Africa. Another example, Bill

Gates, drive to be first, better and above everyone. His ego shows in the

behavior of Microsoft.

I know what I wrote is controversial, rather ego can take Humanity to the next

higher level. I feel we need to first define ego and then look at the ways to

eliminate the enemy (bad) ego.

We all agree that ego is that 'I' am doing something. And we need to

take that 'I' out, but as Sri Krishna said, you are a nimitt (an

instrument) to Arjun. These things are already decided. So, don't we

have any responsibilities are Nimitts? What drives a nimitt to do

anything?

If we just attribute everything that we are doing as being done by a divine

presence then we will still be Karmyogis with complete awareness that " I " did

not do it I am just a Nimitt.

Mukesh Desai

______________________________\

_

, " sadhak_insight "

<sadhak_insight wrote:

>

> Deepali D wrote:

>

> I would like to know more about letting go of my ego. Please

Help !

>

> Radhe Radhe

>

> Ram Ram

>

> FROM THE MODERATOR

> The following are the guidelines for Gita-Talk discussions.

>

> 1. Purpose of the group is to help Sadhaks clarify their doubts

> related to Gita shlokas. For responses to be posted, they must

> further clarify the understanding of Gitaji.

> 2. Wherever possible, please quote Gitaji or other scriptures to

> substantiate the response

> 3. Please limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc.

> 4. Kindly make your responses concise and to the point. (Up to

> twenty line maximum, if possible).

> 5. Please limit discussions to subject at hand.

> 6. Please do not include links to other sites or other

organizations

> 7. Please do not include your personal information such as phone

> number, address etc.

> 8. Kindly do not address the response to a particular individual,

> since the message is going to the entire group.

> 9. Due to a large readership, not all responses will be posted.

> 10. Moderator at his discretion, may modify the posting, if

content

> is unclear or not appropriate for distribution to the group.

>

> MODERATOR

>

> Ram Ram

>