IndiaDivine.org

Essence of Gita

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Central theme is that there is only one and no other.

Rest is Leela.

It is difficult to imagine this till you get back to your Mool Awastha.

Sushil

---

I understand that we reap what we sow, but your explaination and understanding with simplicity is a lesson. HE lives in everyone's heart and depends on one's Karma, HE gives you.

Then, Why not surrender ourselves to HIM and we are bound to become carefree.

Shri Krishna, Shri Krishna, Shri Krishna

---

On 6/12/07, Ashok Jain <akjain wrote:

While every verse of Gita is very important, some verses contain the central theme or message. Let us discuss and understand such verses.As per my understanding,verses 61 and 62 of 18th chapter saying that God resides in the heart of everyone and only by surrendering to God, taking shelter in that God which resides in the heart of everyone, everlasting peace is achieved.

welcome discussion on the above slokas(verses)regardsA K Jain

Guest guest

Dear Sadhakas, namaste!

Two of the very beautiful verses from Gita's essence are as mentioned by Ashokji!

In my understanding the gist of the verses are : All beings, sentients and insentients derive their beings from Ishwara as Beingness itself! Beingness manifesting as Consciousness of Ishwar, taken as Jagat. As such there is only One indivisible Being which is Brahman-Self-Ishwara, but due to Maya principle, we think of ourselves as separate jivatmas, and doers of our actions. Jivatmas are held together like flowers, so to speak, by this One thread of Beingness of Lord, but Maya keeps them hooked to deep rooted belief "I am an independently existing entity, karta, and bhokta of "my" karma-phalas". This central belief is taken as "me", keeps them-jivas revolving like machine around it. This is bondage

In verse 62, it is told that seeking refuge in Ishwara one becomes free from ignorance of Maya and obtains freedom or Moksha! Seeking refuge in Him means to see the falsehood of our separate existence and doership! Then by the grace of Ishwara, Guru in some form may appear and remove this ignorance!

It is important to me to grasp the meaning of taking refuge in Lord who abides in our heart! With total devotion, performing all duty bound karmas within our dharmas in whatever roles assigned to us, brings this Knowledge of Who/What we truly are, free from all notions, beliefs and ideas about us!

This is the essence of Gita as I understand it!

Namaskaras.... Pratap---

--

This is a very nice topic for discussion.

I think the seed of these verses by Lord Kirshna are in the Sankhya Yogam (2nd Chapter). To bring this knowledge into experience, which is our goal, I think we should start practising Karma Yoga, which means to offer each and every action to Bhraman. As these offerings are to the God, the offerings has to be devoid of all flaws. This is difficult, but has to be practised with utmost sincerity. No matter how long it takes we havr to stick to it. We should also practise evenmindedness (titiksha)which means nither getting jubilant with gain nor getting depressed with loss. Gita talks a lot about evenmindedness. Meditation is the third dimension to this path.

Please do correct me if I have gone wrong anywhere. Thank you.

Regards,

Ravi Mukkavill.

--

In , "Ashok Jain" <akjain wrote:>> While every verse of Gita is very important, some verses contain the> central theme or message. Let us discuss and understand such verses.> > As per my understanding,verses 61 and 62 of 18th chapter saying that God resides in the heart of everyone and only by surrendering to God, taking shelter in that God which resides in the heart of everyone, everlasting peace is achieved.> > welcome discussion on the above slokas(verses)> > regards> > A K Jain>

Guest guest

Dear All

Why not Surrender- the only issue, to say so

You have pointed to the root/ core of all the issues.

Frankly ,the frequency ,degree and intensity of surrendering varies from time to time in one's life.As per my understanding non-surrendering is due to:-

1) The in-built design of human being operating under " attack or run" mode.

2)The social/ religious belief system. we sub-consciously accept the same as truth.For example-status and prestige in society is due to money or financial security is most important.

3)Our sense of duty to do so and so.

4) And finally greed according to me.Greed may be defined as what I have is not enough.

I would like to draw attention to verse 73 of 18th Chapter where Arjuna says:my attachments have been destroyed ,I have regained memory and I am free from doubts (Nashto Mohah,smiritih labdha ,gat sandehah)

Here smiritih labdha (memory restored ) means now I understand myself but it happens in that order i.e.

Attachment destruction lead to memory regaining and that leads to freedom from doubts.

So,why we cannot surrender -most likely due to our moha and most strong attachment is towards my thought, my point of view and then it extends to every thing attached to me.

Some buddhi-vilasita from me.

best regards

A K Jain

-

Sushil Jain

13/06/ 2007 8:46

Re: Essence of Gita

Central theme is that there is only one and no other.

Rest is Leela.

It is difficult to imagine this till you get back to your Mool Awastha.

Sushil --- I understand that we reap what we sow, but your explaination and understanding with simplicity is a lesson. HE lives in everyone's heart and depends on one's Karma, HE gives you. Then, Why not surrender ourselves to HIM and we are bound to become carefree. Shri Krishna, Shri Krishna, Shri Krishna ---

On 6/12/07, Ashok Jain <akjain (AT) binani (DOT) net> wrote:

While every verse of Gita is very important, some verses contain the central theme or message. Let us discuss and understand such verses.As per my understanding,verses 61 and 62 of 18th chapter saying that God resides in the heart of everyone and only by surrendering to God, taking shelter in that God which resides in the heart of everyone, everlasting peace is achieved. welcome discussion on the above slokas(verses)regardsA K Jain

Guest guest

Loving Divine,

Humble pranams.

Because it came from Ashokji, I dare to answer the way I am going to :-)

I am going to question your every word, of course, I will answer it too :-)

'God resides in the heart of everyone and only by surrendering to God,...' 'everlasting peace...'

Where God does not reside? Omnipresent

Why limit to 'in heart' only? Every atom of a body is filled with God

Why everyone and not without? He is with, within and without?

When everything is HIS ONLY, is there anything truly to surrender?

Who is God? Can He be any different than the true 'I, me or myself'?

Isn't peace always present? Isn't it disturbed only when we become noisy? Peace = God, when the mind becomes restless, the peace is lost.

With love,

always at Thy Lotus Feet

On 6/12/07, Ashok Jain <akjain wrote:

While every verse of Gita is very important, some verses contain the central theme or message. Let us discuss and understand such verses.As per my understanding,verses 61 and 62 of 18th chapter saying that God resides in the heart of everyone and only by surrendering to God, taking shelter in that God which resides in the heart of everyone, everlasting peace is achieved. welcome discussion on the above slokas(verses)regardsA K Jain

Guest guest

Dear Mr Pratap Bhatt and all other Sadhaks

Verse 62 of 18th Chapter says "by seeking refuge in God (which resides in every one's heart) completely (sarvabhaven) and as a grace of that you will obtain everlasting peace.It does not say anything else.

Sometimes, Gita is to be understood from heart or experienced.The God residing in our heart wants happiness and joy for everyone.

Despite difference in view ,I have very high regards for you.

A K Jain

-

pratapbhatt

13/06/ 2007 20:53

Re: Essence of Gita

Dear Sadhakas, namaste!

Two of the very beautiful verses from Gita's essence are as mentioned by Ashokji!

In my understanding the gist of the verses are : All beings, sentients and insentients derive their beings from Ishwara as Beingness itself! Beingness manifesting as Consciousness of Ishwar, taken as Jagat. As such there is only One indivisible Being which is Brahman-Self-Ishwara, but due to Maya principle, we think of ourselves as separate jivatmas, and doers of our actions. Jivatmas are held together like flowers, so to speak, by this One thread of Beingness of Lord, but Maya keeps them hooked to deep rooted belief "I am an independently existing entity, karta, and bhokta of "my" karma-phalas". This central belief is taken as "me", keeps them-jivas revolving like machine around it. This is bondage

In verse 62, it is told that seeking refuge in Ishwara one becomes free from ignorance of Maya and obtains freedom or Moksha! Seeking refuge in Him means to see the falsehood of our separate existence and doership! Then by the grace of Ishwara, Guru in some form may appear and remove this ignorance!

It is important to me to grasp the meaning of taking refuge in Lord who abides in our heart! With total devotion, performing all duty bound karmas within our dharmas in whatever roles assigned to us, brings this Knowledge of Who/What we truly are, free from all notions, beliefs and ideas about us!

This is the essence of Gita as I understand it!

Namaskaras.... Pratap--- --

This is a very nice topic for discussion.

I think the seed of these verses by Lord Kirshna are in the Sankhya Yogam (2nd Chapter). To bring this knowledge into experience, which is our goal, I think we should start practising Karma Yoga, which means to offer each and every action to Bhraman. As these offerings are to the God, the offerings has to be devoid of all flaws. This is difficult, but has to be practised with utmost sincerity. No matter how long it takes we havr to stick to it. We should also practise evenmindedness (titiksha)which means nither getting jubilant with gain nor getting depressed with loss. Gita talks a lot about evenmindedness. Meditation is the third dimension to this path.

Please do correct me if I have gone wrong anywhere. Thank you.

Regards,

Ravi Mukkavill. -- In , "Ashok Jain" <akjain wrote:>> While every verse of Gita is very important, some verses contain the> central theme or message. Let us discuss and understand such verses.> > As per my understanding,verses 61 and 62 of 18th chapter saying that God resides in the heart of everyone and only by surrendering to God, taking shelter in that God which resides in the heart of everyone, everlasting peace is achieved.> > welcome discussion on the above slokas(verses)> > regards> > A K Jain>

Guest guest

Dear Sadhakas, Namaste!

I have high regards for all of us who share what they

have learned and experienced from Bhagwat Gita. It is

the supreme Yoga of gyan, bhakti, and karma through

which one crosses over the ocean(sagar) of Sansar(Bhav)

which is ignorance of oneself!

Ashokji has been a very valuable contributor helping

us to see the essence, and also appreciate for

inviting discussion on these important verses.

As such verse 62 of ch 18, literally means to take

refuge in Ishwara who dwells in our hearts to receive

grace as peace. I just expounded as to how in my

humble understanding the grace flows as peace, what

does it mean to take refuge or surrender.

I think one goes far with insight into words, meaning

reading between the lines! Peace and happiness which

is our true nature, what we are, not we need to

achieve, flows only when " me " drops out as result of

surrender which happens naturally through His Grace

in the form of insight/wisdom.

mentioning!

Namaskar! ... Pratap

> Dear Mr Pratap Bhatt and all other Sadhaks

>

> Verse 62 of 18th Chapter says " by seeking refuge in

> God (which resides in every one's heart) completely

> (sarvabhaven) and as a grace of that you will obtain

> everlasting peace.It does not say anything else.

>

> Sometimes, Gita is to be understood from heart or

> experienced.The God residing in our heart wants

> happiness and joy for everyone.

>

> Despite difference in view ,I have very high regards

> for you.

>

> A K Jain

> -

> pratapbhatt

>

> 13/06/ 2007 20:53

> Re: Essence of Gita

>

> Dear Sadhakas, namaste!

>

> Two of the very beautiful verses from Gita's

> essence are as mentioned by Ashokji!

>

> In my understanding the gist of the verses are :

> All beings, sentients and insentients derive their

> beings from Ishwara as Beingness itself! Beingness

> manifesting as Consciousness of Ishwar, taken as

> Jagat. As such there is only One indivisible Being

> which is Brahman-Self-Ishwara, but due to Maya

> principle, we think of ourselves as separate

> jivatmas, and doers of our actions. Jivatmas are

> held together like flowers, so to speak, by this

> One thread of Beingness of Lord, but Maya keeps

> them hooked to deep rooted belief " I am an

> independently existing entity, karta, and bhokta of

> " my " karma-phalas " . This central belief is taken as

> " me " , keeps them-jivas revolving like machine

> around it. This is bondage

>

> In verse 62, it is told that seeking refuge in

> Ishwara one becomes free from ignorance of Maya and

> obtains freedom or Moksha! Seeking refuge in Him

> means to see the falsehood of our separate existence

> and doership! Then by the grace of Ishwara, Guru in

> some form may appear and remove this ignorance!

>

> It is important to me to grasp the meaning of

> taking refuge in Lord who abides in our heart! With

> total devotion, performing all duty bound karmas

> within our dharmas in whatever roles assigned to us,

> brings this Knowledge of Who/What we truly are,

> free from all notions, beliefs and ideas about us!

>

> This is the essence of Gita as I understand it!

>

> Namaskaras.... Pratap

>

--

>

> This is a very nice topic for discussion.

>

>

> I think the seed of these verses by Lord Kirshna

> are in the Sankhya Yogam (2nd Chapter). To bring

> this knowledge into experience, which is our goal, I

> think we should start practising Karma Yoga, which

> means to offer each and every action to Bhraman. As

> these offerings are to the God, the offerings has to

> be devoid of all flaws. This is difficult, but has

> to be practised with utmost sincerity. No matter how

> long it takes we havr to stick to it. We should also

> practise evenmindedness (titiksha)which means nither

> getting jubilant with gain nor getting depressed

> with loss. Gita talks a lot about evenmindedness.

> Meditation is the third dimension to this path.

>

>

> Please do correct me if I have gone wrong

> anywhere. Thank you.

>

> Regards,

>

> Ravi Mukkavill.

>

>

--

>

> In , " Ashok Jain "

> <akjain wrote:

> >

> > While every verse of Gita is very important,

> some verses contain the

> > central theme or message. Let us discuss and

> understand such verses.

> >

> > As per my understanding,verses 61 and 62 of 18th

> chapter saying that God resides in the heart of

> everyone and only by surrendering to God, taking

> shelter in that God which resides in the heart of

> everyone, everlasting peace is achieved.

> >

> > welcome discussion on the above slokas(verses)

> >

> > regards

> >

> > A K Jain

Guest guest

Shree Hari Ram Ram Regarding the Essence of Gita, here is a short poem by an unknown author! On this battle field there seems to be duel. Lord uses this in order to create a precious jewel. Pain and pleasure, Love and Hate Feelings come and go Hold onto Love and Love alone, That’s all you need to

know. All things are connected, nothing is by chance. Keep this knowledge in your heart and feel the cosmic dance. Love the world, Love yourself the two are quite the same. Open your heart to all, let go of all the pain. Give yourself to all you meet and Peace will fall upon your feet. All frustrations melt away and there will be a new doorway. Ram

Ram With loving regards, A Sadhak -

Dear Friends,

According to hindu dharma there is no question of God residing anywhere (any one particular place). This very world is God Brama vyvarthitham. What is false is the sense of I which is nothing but collection of thoughts. When that is goneGgod that is Sat Chitha Ananda will be shown through our gross body. np rajendran

-

"A.K.Jain" <akjain wrote: Dear Mr Pratap Bhatt and all other Sadhaks Verse 62 of 18th Chapter says "by seeking refuge in God (which resides in every one's heart) completely (sarvabhaven) and as a grace of that you will obtain everlasting peace.It does not say anything else. Sometimes, Gita is to be understood from heart or experienced.The God residing in our heart wants happiness and joy for everyone. Despite difference in view ,I have very high regards for you. A K Jain ----- Original Message

----- pratapbhatt 13/06/ 2007 20:53 Re: Essence of Gita Dear Sadhakas, namaste! Two of the very beautiful verses from Gita's essence are as mentioned by Ashokji! In my understanding the gist of the verses are : All beings, sentients and insentients derive their beings from Ishwara as Beingness itself! Beingness manifesting as Consciousness of Ishwar, taken as Jagat. As such there is only One indivisible Being which is Brahman-Self-Ishwara, but due to

Maya principle, we think of ourselves as separate jivatmas, and doers of our actions. Jivatmas are held together like flowers, so to speak, by this One thread of Beingness of Lord, but Maya keeps them hooked to deep rooted belief "I am an independently existing entity, karta, and bhokta of "my" karma-phalas". This central belief is taken as "me", keeps them-jivas revolving like machine around it. This is bondage In verse 62, it is told that seeking refuge in Ishwara one becomes free from ignorance of Maya and obtains freedom or Moksha! Seeking refuge in Him means to see the falsehood of our separate existence and doership! Then by the grace of Ishwara, Guru in some form may appear and remove this ignorance! It is important to me to grasp the meaning of taking refuge in Lord who abides in our heart! With total devotion,

performing all duty bound karmas within our dharmas in whatever roles assigned to us, brings this Knowledge of Who/What we truly are, free from all notions, beliefs and ideas about us! This is the essence of Gita as I understand it! Namaskaras.... Pratap--- -- This is a very nice topic for discussion. I think the seed of these verses by Lord Kirshna are in the Sankhya Yogam (2nd Chapter). To bring this knowledge into experience, which is our goal, I think we should start practising Karma Yoga, which means to offer each and every action to Bhraman. As these offerings are to the God, the offerings has to be devoid of all flaws. This is difficult, but has to be practised with utmost sincerity. No matter how long it takes we havr

to stick to it. We should also practise evenmindedness (titiksha)which means nither getting jubilant with gain nor getting depressed with loss. Gita talks a lot about evenmindedness. Meditation is the third dimension to this path. Please do correct me if I have gone wrong anywhere. Thank you. Regards, Ravi Mukkavill. -- In , "Ashok Jain" <akjain wrote:>> While every verse of Gita is very important, some verses contain the> central theme or message. Let us discuss and understand such verses.> > As per my understanding,verses 61 and 62 of 18th chapter saying that God resides in the heart of everyone and only by surrendering to God, taking shelter in that God which resides in the heart of everyone, everlasting peace is

achieved.> > welcome discussion on the above slokas(verses)> > regards> > A K Jain>

Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on TV.

Guest guest

Shree Hari Ram Ram Indeed the two verses speak about the Essence of Gita. Many great men have expressed their views on the Essence of Gita. Starting with Swamiji Maharajji, he said the Essence of Gita is

only Sharanagati, the idea of Sharnagati comes in Gitaji at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the teaching. Beginning - Arjuna takes up Sharanagati Verse (2-7): Karpanyadosophatasvabhavah, prcchami tvam dharmsamudhacetah yac chreyah syan niscitam bruhi tan me, sisays te 'ham sadhi mam tvam prapannam Meaning: My very being is overpowered by the sense of faint heartedness, my

understanding is confused as to duty. I ask Thee. Tell me, for certain, which is better. I am Thy disciple; pray instruct me, who has sought refuge in Thee. Middle - Lord Krishna declares the position of those devotees who solely depend on Him. Verse (9-22): ananyas cintayanto mam, ye janah paryupaste tesam nityabhuktanam, yogaksemam vahamy aham Meaning: Those devotees, however, who worship Me alone thinking of none else and ever united, I Myself attend to their wants and needs and provide them with security of what they have. At the End: After listening to verse (18-66), which is the Sharnagati verse, Lord Krishna asks Arjuna about his state of mind after listening

to the whole of Gita, Arjuna says - Verse (18-73): nasto mohah smrtir labdha, tvaprasadan maya 'cyuta sthito 'smi gatasamdehah, karisye vacanam tava Meaning: My delusion is destroyed, my memory has come back with Thy grace, O Acuhuta, I stand firm, my doubts dispelled, I shall do Thy bidding. After this point in Gitaji, there is no more "Sri Bhagvan-uvac" or even "Arjuna-uvac", which says the whole Gita teaching is complete, it is at this time when Arjuna surrenders and embraces Sharnagati completely, he surrenders his ego to Lord Krishna. Adi Sankracharya says - Essence of Gita is contained in - Verse (11-55): matkarrmakrn matparamo, madbhaktah sangavarjitah nirvairah sarvabhutesu yah sa mam eti pandava Meaning: He who performs all actions for Me, to whom I am the Supreme,

he My devotee, has no attachment, and is free from malice towards all beings, reaches Me, O Pandava. Swami Vivekananda says - If one reads the following shloka, one gets all the merits of reading the entire Gita; for in this one shaloka lies imbedded the whole Message of the Gita. Verse (2-3): klaibyam ma sma gamah Partha, nai 'tat tvay

upapadyate ksudram hrdaydaurbalyam, tyatvo 'ttistha paamtapa "Yield not to unmanliness, O son of Pratha! It does not become of thee. Caste off this mean faint heartedness and arise, O scorcher of thy enemies!" Ram Ram With loving regards, A sadhak "A.K.Jain" <akjain wrote: Dear Mr

Pratap Bhatt and all other Sadhaks Verse 62 of 18th Chapter says "by seeking refuge in God (which resides in every one's heart) completely (sarvabhaven) and as a grace of that you will obtain everlasting peace.It does not say anything else. Sometimes, Gita is to be understood from heart or experienced.The God residing in our heart wants happiness and joy for everyone. Despite difference in view ,I have very high regards for you. A K Jain - pratapbhatt 13/06/ 2007 20:53 Re: Essence of Gita Dear Sadhakas, namaste! Two of the very beautiful verses from Gita's essence are as mentioned by Ashokji! In my understanding the gist of the verses are : All beings, sentients and insentients derive their beings from Ishwara as Beingness itself! Beingness manifesting as Consciousness of Ishwar, taken as Jagat. As such there is only One indivisible Being which is Brahman-Self-Ishwara, but due to Maya principle, we think of ourselves as separate jivatmas, and doers of our

actions. Jivatmas are held together like flowers, so to speak, by this One thread of Beingness of Lord, but Maya keeps them hooked to deep rooted belief "I am an independently existing entity, karta, and bhokta of "my" karma-phalas". This central belief is taken as "me", keeps them-jivas revolving like machine around it. This is bondage In verse 62, it is told that seeking refuge in Ishwara one becomes free from ignorance of Maya and obtains freedom or Moksha! Seeking refuge in Him means to see the falsehood of our separate existence and doership! Then by the grace of Ishwara, Guru in some form may appear and remove this ignorance! It is important to me to grasp the meaning of taking refuge in Lord who abides in our heart! With total devotion, performing all duty bound karmas within our

dharmas in whatever roles assigned to us, brings this Knowledge of Who/What we truly are, free from all notions, beliefs and ideas about us! This is the essence of Gita as I understand it! Namaskaras.... Pratap--- -- This is a very nice topic for discussion. I think the seed of these verses by Lord Kirshna are in the Sankhya Yogam (2nd Chapter). To bring this knowledge into experience, which is our goal, I think we should start practising Karma Yoga, which means to offer each and every action to Bhraman. As these offerings are to the God, the offerings has to be devoid of all flaws. This is difficult, but has to be practised with utmost sincerity. No matter how long it takes we havr to stick to it. We should also practise evenmindedness

(titiksha)which means nither getting jubilant with gain nor getting depressed with loss. Gita talks a lot about evenmindedness. Meditation is the third dimension to this path. Please do correct me if I have gone wrong anywhere. Thank you. Regards, Ravi Mukkavill. -- In , "Ashok Jain" <akjain wrote:>> While every verse of Gita is very important, some verses contain the> central theme or message. Let us discuss and understand such verses.> > As per my understanding,verses 61 and 62 of 18th chapter saying that God resides in the heart of everyone and only by surrendering to God, taking shelter in that God which resides in the heart of everyone, everlasting peace is achieved.> > welcome discussion on the above

slokas(verses)> > regards> > A K Jain>