IndiaDivine.org

Question: Should we pray to God for everything we want in l...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/14/07 11:23:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, nrj_112 writes:

I would say sure we can ask for anything from God. Lets take a simple example. As babies, mom's feed us. Mom knows about our hunger. But mom has tons of other jobs as well to take care of. So, she would take her own turn to give us food. But if we are really starving, we would give an outcry , to make sure, we are served first. Once our hunger is quenched, mom can take care of other routines. Same with God. At times, God might be a little late to serve us when he has other jobs to accomplish. When we pray, just put forth our needs/wants as a reminder. Nothing wrong in doing so. -Neha

If one is a Christian, then they would consider praying "to God for everything...". Hindus do not pray to God. And, of course, there is no prove that such a "He" exists.

Swami ParamGet a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

Dear ones, GOD serves his baktha at once. Gajedra Moksham read. how fast lord appeared to that elephant. Many stories are there. HIS delay accrues only if one keeps trust in HIM partly. Example: Mother Drowpathi. Until she held on her robe she was not saved. Only when she lifted her 2 hand then there was 100% trust/faith. Then it becomes the LORD`s duty. Most of do this and blame the Lord. baiya07_sathya B.SathyanarayanClassyoga wrote: In a message dated 8/14/07 11:23:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, nrj_112 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com writes: I would say sure we can ask for anything from God. Lets take a simple example. As babies, mom's feed us. Mom knows about our hunger. But mom has tons of other jobs as well to take care of. So, she would take her own turn to give us food. But if we are really starving, we would give an outcry , to make sure, we are served first. Once our hunger is quenched, mom can take care of other routines. Same with God. At times, God might be a little late to serve us when he has other jobs to accomplish. When we pray, just put forth our needs/wants as a reminder. Nothing wrong in doing so. -Neha If

one is a Christian, then they would consider praying "to God for everything...". Hindus do not pray to God. And, of course, there is no prove that such a "He" exists. Swami Param

Dear all,

I believe he knows what is best for each and every one of us. He gives us what is best for us and according to our karma, vasanas etc., Also there is a chance of asking for less than what he has in store for us! IF WE TRULY BELIEVE IN HIM JUST PRAY TO HIM AND TELL HIM THAT YOU LEAVE EVERYTHING TO HIM.

My understanding of Geeta is that you are to take success and failure alike and do just do your duty without expectations.

Asha - Nirasha... If you ask, you expect and when you don't get, you get disappointment.. In my limited knowledge that is the the Gita Way.

I would appreciate the moderator to guide us further.

Om Namo Narayana

Venky

-----------

Yes! we must pray to God not for every wish of ours but for all HIS BLESSINGS for goodness / positive results through HIS grace, otherwise one may not remember God and under one's own will / doings everyone have the chance of more failures than success.

Hari Motwani

----------- A good question ha been brought forward about 'praying' and misunderstanding of people in doing business with the God for sake of private expectations:

Sri Ram

Pray means meditation or thinking about. There is no second person to who one pleases to. Sri Krishna has shown universe in Him. It means, everyone has an ability within himself to realize feeling or experience of all beings in him/her, when detached with "egoism" (ahankar). Removal of egoism is difficult and thus, to prey is an act of mind control (dharma abhyasa) by looking at the system of change, rather than what is changed.

Prayer means, seeing everything as an activity of the system or unending cycle of GOD (generation, operation and destruction). This constancy of thoughts elevates the mind from complicated to simple thoughts (Urddhva moolam Adha Shakham ). Prayer thus give instant realization of calmness and peace by understanding and knowledge (love) from every observation.

What to expect from praying and how instantly it gets fulfilled?

To pray is a step by step activity. First is the observation, or ROOP or 'reading' about Sri Krishna and His leela. Second is contemplation or 'understanding' of His actions i.e. LEELA ; third is DHAM or realization of the influence that comes to you or a sense of union with Krishna. You will automatically know what you have neither read nor have known before and you become an absolute authority from nothing. See Kabir, Rahim, Soor Das, Meera, Tulsi, Balmiki.

Most sadhak of Bhagwat Gita will have experiencs that this always happens, and each one can contemplate every observation with their innate knowledge. Every sadhak at end of prayer ((meditation) becomes a fountainhead of knowledge. For example: Mohan Das Gandhi wrote his way to Bhagwat Gita, Radha Krishnan wrote his way, Einstein wrote his way, Kant wrote his way, Ramsukh Das wrote his way etc.

The behaviour becomes free of "egoism" 'ahankar' and people begin to trust the person for being absolute source of knowledge. All desires get fulfilled automatically because experiences of all beings belong to you. You become inseparable with rest of the world, and you then cannot escape action (karma). This karma is not by individual but Universal Self, and thus, no expectation arise and there is neither happiness nor sorrow. This is a proof of 'praying'.

In Bhagwat Gita, Sri Krishna says about his state of consciousness (mun) and how one can reach it by constancy in effort of mind control (abhyasa of dharma). In the end, He says 'mun mana bhav' is about union of minds and thinking alike. This is all about 'prayer'.

Dharma or praying is purely an act of solitude, and not about interaction. Sri Krisna says 'sang dosha vivrjana. do not engage others with self inquiry.

Sri Ram

regards

K G Misra

-----------

There is no God.

Also there is nothing but God.

Both are true.

God is not external to us, some body Out There.

God is in here. The Upanishads and the Buddhist philosophy tells us of our personal responsibilities. Many scholars would like us refocus our thoughts on our group responsibilties. Thus they would ask us to remodel God to fit this nuclear age. Because we have lost sight of God within us, we wound ourselves in million ways.

Thrashing the environment, allowing our farmers to commit suicide, murdering our girl babies -- because we do not recognise the Divine within us.

Praying, even for material things at some point puts us in touch with ourselves. We may get what we ask for, but that is somewhere the result of our own endeavour. After we get what we want, somehow subtly our vision changes. We see the impermanance of this material world, and give our energies to meet group goals. Prabha Krishnan

-----------

God is a very personal concept. In my highest understanding achieved so far, it is something, beyond our senses.

What I realized is that when we can transcend our ego-mind-intellect and be united with Divine Mind, and are not selfish is what we are asking, I think it is possible to change the outcome, if one has the will power and has pure thoughts. So yes Prayers help when one becomes part of that divinity and has understood the teachings of Vedanta.

Sunil Srivastava

-----------

Again I am sorry for my comments.

The God is there for us to worship and not to teat him as SERVANT to serve us.

We should do our duties and respect the decision of the God. Anil Sakhuja

-----------

On 8/19/07, baiya sathyanarayan <baiya07_sathya wrote:

Dear ones,

GOD serves his baktha at once. Gajedra Moksham read. how fast lord appeared to that elephant. Many stories are there. HIS delay accrues only if one keeps trust in HIM partly. Example: Mother Drowpathi. Until she held on her robe she was not saved. Only when she lifted her 2 hand then there was 100% trust/faith. Then it becomes the LORD`s duty. Most of do this and blame the Lord.

baiya07_sathya

B.SathyanarayanClassyoga wrote:

In a message dated 8/14/07 11:23:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, nrj_112 writes:

I would say sure we can ask for anything from God. Lets take a simple example. As babies, mom's feed us. Mom knows about our hunger. But mom has tons of other jobs as well to take care of. So, she would take her own turn to give us food. But if we are really starving, we would give an outcry , to make sure, we are served first. Once our hunger is quenched, mom can take care of other routines.

Same with God. At times, God might be a little late to serve us when he has other jobs to accomplish. When we pray, just put forth our needs/wants as a reminder. Nothing wrong in doing so. -Neha

If one is a Christian, then they would consider praying " to God for everything... " . Hindus do not pray to God. And, of course, there is no prove that such a " He " exists.

Swami Param