IndiaDivine.org

Bhagavad Gita - Daily One Verse Brief Explanation - II 2:41 II

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

|| Shree Hari ||Ram Ram

II 2:41 II

vyavasayatmika buddhir, keha kuru-nandanabahu-sakha hy anantas ca, buddhayo 'vyavasayinam

"O Joy of Kurus (Arjuna), in this blessed path (attainment of equanimity), the intellect is determinate and one-pointed; whereas the intellect of the undecided (ignorant man moved by desires) is divided endlessly in many diverse directions."

Comment

Equanimity is attained by the one who has only one and single goal. Many goals are due to the presence of desires only.

From Gita Prabodhani in Hindi pg. 45 by Swami Ramsukhdasji

---------------

Chapter 2, Verse 41 is as follows;

Vyavasaayaatmikaa = resolute

BuddhiH = determination / intellect

Ekaa = single

Iha = here

Kuru-nanadan = O joy of Kurus! / O Arjuna!

Bahu-ShaakhaaH = many branched

Hi = indeed

AnantaaH = endless

Cha = and

Buddhayah = thoughts

A-Vyavasaayinaam = of an irresolute

English translation:-

O joy of the Kurus! For the one who is resolute in mind and intellect, there is only one decision to make, which is gradual progression to the realisation of the Self. However, many branched and endless are the thoughts of an irresolute.

Our science teacher, while performing an experiment in Optics, had once demonstrated us that by focusing of Sun-rays through a convex lens one can burn a piece of paper. Then he suddenly made a startling but a very subtle comment, "If you focus your mind and intellect, then see what you can achieve in life." It had a lasting impression on many of us.

Later on, I came across a matching verse 37 in chapter 4 in Shreemad Bhagawad Geeta, wherein Lord Krishna has advised Arjuna, "As a blazing fire reduces fuel to ashes, O Arjuna, so does the fire of knowledge reduces all actions to ashes."

Knowledge and ignorance seem to co-exist in every human being. When knowledge is invoked, ignorance automatically recedes. `Sattvaat Sanjaayate Gnyaanam' i.e. from `Sattva' Guna knowledge arises. The awakening of the knowledge of the Self completely eradicates ignorance. Thus knowledge destroys all unfulfilled residual desires and all actions driven by unending desires in search of earthly acquisitions and enjoyments.

A person, who is competent with many skills but is not outstanding in any one, is treated as `A jack of all trades, but master of none'. He is normally called as a `handyman' i.e. a man who does odd jobs or various small tasks but nothing so concrete and praise-worthy.

Due to his extra-ordinary ability to concentrate on any object and on any given task, Arjuna is renowned to be the best archer and the best disciple of Guru Dronaachaarya. Lord Krishna reminds Arjuna of his brilliant track record. The use of word `Kurunandana' in this verse implies that Arjuna would lose the very joy of his life, if all his future actions are motivated by the unfocussed irresolute mind rather than being propelled by the well focussed resolute intellect.

In essence, Lord Krishna communicates to Arjuna that all his actions should no longer be dictated by the whims and fancies of his mind. The unfulfilled desires of his mind will certainly drive his physical body to action; however, every such action initiated by Arjuna must have a prior sanction of his intellect, otherwise it is bound to result into unpredictable, undesirable and unpleasant consequences for him.

In Upanishad there is a nice illustration in the following verse;

"Mano Hi Dvividham Proktam, Shuddham Cha A-Shuddham Eva Cha;

A-Shuddham Kaama-Sankalpam, Shuddham Kaama-Varjitam"

It means, a human mind is of two types. One is pure that is devoid of any selfish desires, while the other one is impure that is in constant pursuit of ad infinitum desires.

Such a pure mind devoid of any selfish desire is a pre-requisite for the activation of well focussed resolute intellect. Obviously the intellect cannot be focussed on any mundane goal.

Then how to focus your intellect? This has been nicely illustrated in verse 8 of chapter 8, wherein Lord Krishna has clarified, "With the mind not wandering after anything else, made steadfast in the constant practice of unity with the Self, he who meditates on the Resplendent Supreme, Being, finally reaches Him."

Thanks & Best Regards,

Shrikant Joshi

-----------------

Note:

Is it important to learn by rote the Bhagavath Geetha? I think that is meant for a practice. It is verily the user manual of our life. I have not seen anyone learning any user manual by rote or even try to do so; however expensive the item may be. What you say Sadhaks?

Siva

In response to the above question, I have the following observations;

In ancient times, when there was no Internet, no mobile telephones, no wired land-line telephones and no printed books, the only way to communicate and pass on the accumulated knowledge from one generation to the next, was by means of Shruti i.e. by carefully listening and Smruti i.e. by memorising. Therefore, learning by rote was the only option in those times.

The obvious question is, `Do you need to learn anything by heart in the 21st century'?

Certainly it is no longer mandatory. However, it does not negate memorising. A song that you like and enjoy listening to, you end up in memorising it. Why? Simply because it gives you immense pleasure and it enriches your life. It goes without saying that the poem, on which the song has been composed, has to be an outstanding one.

In contrast, a User Manual or a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is written by a supervisory level person, who is not expected to motivate or energise a user beyond basic information and utility of the device.

From my personal experience, I can guarantee that the Song of Lord Krishna is indeed worth memorising. A verse well recited with `Shraddhaa Bhaava' certainly acts like an amplifier that generates the deep `Bhaava' intended behind the written text and offers you an elevated understanding that is coupled with a satisfaction much beyond words.

What I want to communicate, has been very nicely conveyed in a famous Marathi song sung by Pandit Jitendra Abhisheki, "Shabdaa Vaachuna KaLale Saare, Shabdaanchyaa Pali Kadale" i.e. I have understood all that is beyond description of words from you, without you spelling out a single word to me.

I hope and trust that it helps to remove the stigma and blemish of learning by heart and may God bless all of us!

With Best Wishes,

Shrikant Joshi

------------------

-Shree Hari-

Dear Shrikant,

Your beautiful quote

'... motherly tender love, as she relentlessly serves humanity with her wholesome milk.'

i.e. she nurtures.

Now Arjuna was, 'A scorcher of foes', a supreme warrior, the worlds greatest bowman....'

Showing the true masculine aspect.

Whilst the cow shows the ultimate nurturing feminine.

Now from my marshal arts background I sense Lord Krishna was attempting to bring into balance these aspects of Arjuna.(Yin Yang)

Your quote regarding Karma Yoga:

'... you engage in relentless service and sacrifice for the benefit of the entire populace of the great nation of `Bhaarat-Varsha'."

A well balanced human regardless of gender, needs the heart of a warrior, and the heart of the nurturer.

Actually a beautiful spiritual soul, (a brother of the spirit), laughed at my perplexity over something, and said,"That's the trouble with us warriors and priests Mike...". There was depth in his statement that is easily misunderstood.

I love what you are doing, this is a wonderful journey, I am sure brevity will appear from time to time.

With Respect and Divine Love,

Mike Keenor

-----------------

Is it important to learn by rote the Bhagavath Geetha ? I think that is meantfor a practice. it is verily the user manual of our life. I have not seen anyonelearning any user manual by rote or even try to do so; however expensive theitem may be.What you say SadhaksSiva----------------|| Shree Hari ||Ram RamAll Sadhaks can and should contribute as well. Discussion /clarification is encouragedOTHER REQUESTS FROM SADHAKS -Please feel free to take the lead in any of these areas so that allsadhaks may benefit.- Introduction to Chapters (GT MODERATOR FROM SADHAK SANJIVANI)- Chapter Summary - Principles and Laws emanating from it.(N.B. VYAS)- Summary of Chapter from Sadhak Sanjivani "AS IS"- Yes, Epilogue / Important Facts in each verse good to bring out.- Any subtle thoughts / interpretation (MIKE)- In-depth explanation of "Om Tat Saditi Srimadbhagavadgitaasu,Upanishadsu....." is a very good idea. (GT MODERATOR FROM SADHAKSANJIVANI)From Gita Talk ModeratorsRam Ram-----------------------------Shree HariRam RamWe deeply thank Shri Shrikantji Joshi for taking the initiative tosupport this divine work of daily one verse Bhagavad Gitaexplanation and Shri Madan Kauraji for the Gita Prabodhanitranslation Chapter 1 and 2 and to Mrs. K Asani for requesting shlokaexplanation on a daily basis.From Gita Talk ModeratorsRam Ram