IndiaDivine.org

Bhagavad Gita - Daily One Verse Brief Explanation - II 2:44 II

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

|| Shree Hari ||Ram Ram

II 2:44 II

bhogaisvarya-prasaktanam, tayapahrta-cetasamvyavasayatmika buddhih, samadhau na vidhiyate

"Those, whose inner faculties are carried away by such flowery words, meaning, they are gravitated toward pleasures, and they are deeply attached to pleasure and prosperity, these men cannot attain a single-pointed determinate intellect in God. "

Comment:

The attachment to Bhoga (worldly enjoyments) - pleasures of five senses, desire for respect and praise, and Aisvarya (accumulation of money and material to enjoy those worldly pleasures) are the main road blocks to progress in a spiritual journey. One who is engrossed in enjoyments of pleasures and accumulation of wealth cannot even make a resolve to pursue the spiritual path what to speak of pursuing this path ! That is why Bhagwaan is describing on Yoga of selfless action.

From Gita Prabodhani in Hindi pg. 46 - 47 by Swami Ramsukhdasji

---------------

Chapter 2, Verse 44 is as follows;

Bhoga = pleasure

Aishvarya = power

Pra-Saktaanaam = of the people deeply attached

Tayaa = by that (flowery speech)

Apahruta-Chetasaam = whose minds are drawn away

Vyavasaayaatmikaa = determined

BuddhiH = intellect

Samaadhau = in Samadhi (in God consciousness)

Na = not

Vidheeyate = is fixed

English translation:-

Those who are attached to pleasure and power, whose minds are drawn away by that flowery speech, have no determined intellect, which is well established in Samadhi i.e. God consciousness.

Human intelligence has a unique gift of fine discrimination between what is `Preyas' i.e. feels nice to be done and `Shreyas' i.e. ought to be done. The normal tendency of a human mind is always towards `Preyas'. One needs proper training and concentrated efforts to harmonise one's physical body, mind and intellect to focus on the unity with the Self.

The natural movement of a human mind is just like natural movement of an electrical charge or water. All of them move from a higher potential energy level to a lower potential energy level, in order to seek a stable equilibrium state, which is relatively easy to achieve. All higher potential energy levels are difficult to sustain for a longer period of time. All high energy particles found in modern physics are stable for a fraction of a second.

All of us try to grab the low hanging fruits at the first opportunity, without much worrying about the associated costs and consequences.

Those who are devoted to uninterrupted enjoyments and unlimited power, their minds are easily carried away by speeches laced with a flowery language. Their intelligence is not well trained to be focussed on the Self i.e. the God consciousness. Therefore, their mind and intelligence can be easily seduced for worldly pursuits of endless acquisitions of power and associated sensual pleasures and material enjoyments.

"However high a vulture may soar up in the sky, its eyes are always in search of the dead, putrefying flesh and carcass on the earth. Similarly, however deep one may have mastered the four Vedas, as long as one's eyes are fixed on mere sensual pleasures and material comforts, one is bound to act like a vulture."…….Swami Ramakrishna

Maharshee Veda Vyas was indeed a daring visionary and revolutionary who tried to restore the Vedantic culture from the decadence it had fallen into, from the clutches of the cultural vultures.

Lord Krishna was a `Kshatriya' i.e. a warrior by birth. But his deep knowledge of Vedanta philosophy would have put any `Brahmana', literally to shame. Therefore, being a `Kshatriya' by birth, Lord Krishna demonstrated his courage in declaring the `Karma-Kanda' i.e. mere rituals in the Vedas which accentuate desires and resultant favourable outcomes as the `flowery words of the unwise'.

However, please note that the following references are found in Shreemad Bhagawad Geeta, wherein Lord Krishna has not only praised the Vedas, but declared that He Himself represents the entire knowledge including the four Vedas ;

1. Verse 17, Chapter 9: `Aham Ruk-Saama-YajuH Eva Cha' i.e. I am Rug-Veda, Saama-Veda and Yajur-Veda, the three Vedas.

2. Verse 22, Chapter 10: `Vedaanaam SaamavedaH Asmi' i.e. Out of the three Vedas, I am the Saama-Veda.

3. Verse 15, Chapter 15: `VaidaiH Cha SarvaiH Aham Eva VedyaH' i.e. I am verily That, which is known by the Vedas.

The Vedic `Karma-Kaanda' i.e. rituals were designed to exhaust human desires and prepare a human mind to a single-pointed concentration. In the absence of desires i.e. Nishkaama Karma, such a well focussed mind and intellect are deemed fit for steady contemplation of the Supreme Being. A person constantly being tossed by desires has no steady state and no peace in the entire Universe.

Only a refined human intellect guides a steady and singularly focussed mind to the supreme state of thought-less-ness, desire-less-ness, action-less-ness to the One-ness with the Self, which is the ultimate goal of God-realisation for every human being.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Shrikant Joshi

-Shree Hari-

Gita 2:43 Dear Shrikant,You almost had me dancing a jig when I read your article Alleluia, spot on.This is where it all started you understand, from when I was a young man, Ialways questioned, I knew something was not right.I developed a saying "Liturgy points Dogma blocks".Coming from a Christian background, to me nothing gelled, (The pilgrim startedhis journey).So all that knowledge and research, in the dustbin, (JiJi Shashikalaji), I am astudent again.With Respect and Divine Love,Mike Keenor

-----------------

ARE WE Missing SOMETHING VITAL.

Arjuna was not a saint. he was an ordinary mortal king with lots of desires and

goals and sankalpas.

By telling this to Arjuna, the ultimate advise to him is to fight on and not

stop.

Now this element of Geetha makes it an essential book for those who are very

actively engaged in the war of the world in their daily lives. By pointing out

that this is sacred, reserved only for a few exalted ones and leads one to only

saintliness, we are refusing the full flow and use of this great book to the

ordinary mortals of this world.

Take this verse. This can be turned into a straight simple management advisory.

Motivational message. And for that we will pay some management guru a huge

amount.

I repeat BG is not only divine, it is an everyday reference book everyone must

be encouraged to read and practice.

It is perhaps the only one hindu scripture that talks of no immediate "phala

stuthi" and asks you to focus in the longest term possible for you

Submitted with an unseemly boldness to the sadhakas

Siva

-

Gita 2:43 Feedback

This is indeed a splendid piece...how difficult it is to get liberated from our infinite desires!!

bhaskar mukherjee

-

Note:

Is it important to learn by rote the Bhagavath Geetha? I think that is meant for a practice. It is verily the user manual of our life. I have not seen anyone learning any user manual by rote or even try to do so; however expensive the item may be. What you say Sadhaks?

Siva

Hari OmRemembering Holy Gita by heart ! This is divine in itself. Oh ! What a peace generates in you when you spontaneously start singing verses of Holy Gita ! Every time you recite it, more meanings of words come into mind. Bhavas unlimited spring forth. The words of Sanskrita start dancing with their subtle meanings. Each and every syllable, vowel, word, sentence starts appearing meaningful. You invariably realise as to how Great is Lord who spoke such words. What a class in itself is God's voice, His selection of words, His chosen order of verses, His way of explaining, His methodology of repetition and summarising ! Secrets of Gitaji start manifesting within. Gitaji definitely appears new and fresh every time you recite it. I have no doubt on the same. Befitting Gita verses start coming to mind automatically based on practical situations prevailing at a particular time. The very environment becomes pure. When you remember by heart, then all obstacles get removed. You can recite before falling asleep, immediately after getting up, in the car, in the lift, whenever alone or feeling like !! Holy Gita. Any thing connected with that becomes Divine- be it tongue or mind or intellect or body or a piece of paper, or pen or computer !! Mind is the culprit for bringing us to this mortal world. If in this mind Gitaji is stored ... Divine !!What 2oth or 21st Century has got to do with the same?Jai Shree KrishnaVyas N B

-----------------

|| Shree Hari ||Ram RamAll Sadhaks can and should contribute as well. Discussion /clarification is encouragedOTHER REQUESTS FROM SADHAKS -Please feel free to take the lead in any of these areas so that allsadhaks may benefit.- Introduction to Chapters (GT MODERATOR FROM SADHAK SANJIVANI)- Chapter Summary - Principles and Laws emanating from it.(N.B. VYAS)- Summary of Chapter from Sadhak Sanjivani "AS IS"- Yes, Epilogue / Important Facts in each verse good to bring out.- Any subtle thoughts / interpretation (MIKE)- In-depth explanation of "Om Tat Saditi Srimadbhagavadgitaasu,Upanishadsu....." is a very good idea. (GT MODERATOR FROM SADHAKSANJIVANI)From Gita Talk ModeratorsRam Ram-----------------------------Shree HariRam RamWe deeply thank Shri Shrikantji Joshi for taking the initiative tosupport this divine work of daily one verse Bhagavad Gitaexplanation and Shri Madan Kauraji for the Gita Prabodhanitranslation Chapter 1 and 2 and to Mrs. K Asani for requesting shlokaexplanation on a daily basis.From Gita Talk ModeratorsRam Ram