IndiaDivine.org

What is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

QUESTION: I would like to understand the meaning of purity? Does Ganga snaan

(bathing in Ganga river water) help in getting purity? What is the role of

purity in life?

Can an impure person get connection with God ?

Bhavin

------------------------

GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -

1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.

2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible..

3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to the

extent that they further help in understanding the Gita shlokas

4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.

5. Focus on subject at hand only.

6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, address

etc) or personalize message to particular person

7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modify

the posting.

8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-

sectarian audience. Limit the use to Sanskrit words and provide English word

bracketed.

Ram Ram

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

Post message:

Subscribe: -

Un: -

Guest guest

QUESTION: I would like to understand the meaning of purity? Does Ganga snaan(bathing in Ganga river water) help in getting purity? What is the role ofpurity in life?Can an impure person get connection with God ?Bhavin------------------------

NEW POSTING

Shree Hari Ram Ram

In "Ek Sant Ki Vasiyat" Swamiji has expressed his personal thoughts... (which he rarely did; mostly he spoke words of Gitaji, Ramcharitramanas and other scriptures). Swamiji clearly revered Gangaji..... like a mother! He states -

"I give greater importance to Gangaji, the Sun or reverence / recitation of holy scriptures instead of my visitation and viewing (my darshan)."

Many times he said- "Put Gangaajal (holy water) on everyone and become free and blissful. "

The next one is one of my most favorite examples that Swamiji used very often on the subject of God Realization in an instant

" Suppose we see a river. Someone says - this river is Gangaji. Hearing this, we are awed 'OH THIS IS GANGAJI !!!!!' It will instantly change our feeling and outlook towards the river. There is immediate reverence for Gangaji. And this change of outlook took no time. Was there any delay there? Did we need to exert anything? Were any actions or things required to reach this understanding? Similarly, in accepting that everything is God, no scriptures need to be studied, no meditation is to be practised, nothing is to be contemplated on, no hearing, thinking or profound meditation is required, no eyes are to be closed, the nose is not to be pressed (to control the breathing)..... "

With devotion, Meera Das, Ram Ram

-

Dear Sadaks,Mind, intellect and body in a human working in clarity of Dharmic way is purity. Normally when a person goes for Ganga Snaan also visits temple and ashrams around in those days (No flying visit) which gives insight on divinity, there by making path to purity. Impure person when very deeply regret with high sense of repentence, in depth of his heart then his ego diminishes, his desires to live vanishes, and he becomes most humble. When Ego and desire goes, then he gets connected to God faster than others says Naradha Bakthi Sutra. Jai Sri KrishnaB.Sathyanarayan

--------------------------

Purity is the main ethics in Hindu religion. When it is stated in Hindu religion (as I understand) that by bathing in Ganges, we become pure then we have to believe and all of our sins are eradicated that that is why lacs of people bathe in Ganges or other rivers and ponds and even at home.

There is Ganga Purana in which it is specially written that whosoever takes bath by reciting Ganga stotra,will get the same spiritual effect like bathing in Ganges

Believe in our scriptures and spiritual beliefs. This is what I believe

Please write your response

Truly yours

S S Bhatt

--------------------------Dear Geeta Sadhakas, NamaskarAnything in its Natural state is pure and purity would mean being in Natural State. Purity of Body, purity of Mind and purity of Intellect. By taking a Mangal Snaan with clean water, would remove dirt from the skin, whether the water is from well, tap or any river including Ganga. Ganga water at Rishikesh and Haridwar would be cleaner than at AllAhahabad and beyond. If Divine and only good thoughts are in the Mind it is pure, if the intellect plans about Divine and good things, it is pure.I believe that for getting divine connection, purity of BMI is necessary....Gee Waman

-------GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible..3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to theextent that they further help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limit the use to Sanskrit words and provide English wordbracketed.MODERATORRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

QUESTION: I would like to understand the meaning of purity? Does Ganga snaan(bathing in Ganga river water) help in getting purity? What is the role ofpurity in life?Can an impure person get connection with God ?Bhavin------------------------NEW POSTINGNamaste.

Bathing in Ganga water is symbolic. In the lower

Himalayas - Rishikesh, Ram Jhula, Laxman Jhula - and higher up, the

water is cold and clean, flowing rapidly down to the Gangetic

Plains. On a pilgrimage to India, I noted the change in Ganges, from

the fast-flowing water higher up to the lazy, meandering wide river at

Varanasi, through Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkand, and then Kolkatta,

where it was quite dirty, brown also with the recent rains.

Of course, being physically clean is important, but Bhagavan tells us about the purification that really matters:

The work of Yajna (sacrifice), charity (gift) and

austerity should not be relinquished, but it should indeed be

performed; (for) Yajna, gift and austerity are purifying to the wise.

GEETA 18 - 5

Even these actions, namely Sacrifice, Charity, and Austerity should be performed "leaving aside attachment and the fruits."

But even these works, O Pârtha, should be performed, leaving attachment and the fruits;�"such is My best and certain conviction.

GEETA 18-6

Ram Ram

Deosaran Bisnath------------------------------Shree Hari Ram Ram Swamiji said attaching yourself to God is highest purity, as you will become pure, and purity is already naturally present. Swamiji revered Gangaji and talked often about Gangaji. In a lecture he talked about God alone must be worshiped, meditated on, made offerings to, partake prasad from, similarly - One must only pay homage and save the soil of that land where God entered into His divine play. One must drink the nectar from Shaligram stone. One must pay homage and revere Gangaji herself, that touched the feet of the Lord. Hope this helps - Meera Das, Ram Ram ----------------------------PRIOR POSTINGShree Hari Ram RamIn "Ek Sant Ki Vasiyat" Swamiji has expressed his personal thoughts... (which he rarely did; mostly he spoke words of Gitaji, Ramcharitramanas and other scriptures). Swamiji clearly revered Gangaji..... like a mother! He states - "I give greater importance to Gangaji, the Sun or reverence / recitation of holy scriptures instead of my visitation and viewing (my darshan)." Many times he said- "Put Gangaajal (holy water) on everyone and become free and blissful. " The next one is one of my most favorite examples that Swamiji used very often on the subject of God Realization in an instant " Suppose we see a river. Someone says - this river is Gangaji. Hearing this, we are awed 'OH THIS IS GANGAJI !!!!!' It will instantly change our feeling and outlook towards the river. There is immediate reverence for Gangaji. And this change of outlook took no time. Was there any delay there? Did we need to exert anything? Were any actions or things required to reach this understanding? Similarly, in accepting that everything is God, no scriptures need to be studied, no meditation is to be practised, nothing is to be contemplated on, no hearing, thinking or profound meditation is required, no eyes are to be closed, the nose is not to be pressed (to control the breathing)..... " With devotion, Meera Das, Ram Ram -Dear Sadaks,Mind, intellect and body in a human working in clarity of Dharmic way is purity. Normally when a person goes for Ganga Snaan also visits temple and ashrams around in those days (No flying visit) which gives insight on divinity, there by making path to purity. Impure person when very deeply regret with high sense of repentence, in depth of his heart then his ego diminishes, his desires to live vanishes, and he becomes most humble. When Ego and desire goes, then he gets connected to God faster than others says Naradha Bakthi Sutra.Jai Sri KrishnaB.Sathyanarayan--------------------------Purity is the main ethics in Hindu religion. When it is stated in Hindu religion (as I understand) that by bathing in Ganges, we become pure then we have to believe and all of our sins are eradicated that that is why lacs of people bathe in Ganges or other rivers and ponds and even at home.There is Ganga Purana in which it is specially written that whosoever takes bath by reciting Ganga stotra,will get the same spiritual effect like bathing in GangesBelieve in our scriptures and spiritual beliefs. This is what I believePlease write your response Truly yoursS S Bhatt--------------------------Dear Geeta Sadhakas, NamaskarAnything in its Natural state is pure and purity would mean being in Natural State. Purity of Body, purity of Mind and purity of Intellect. By taking a Mangal Snaan with clean water, would remove dirt from the skin, whether the water is from well, tap or any river including Ganga. Ganga water at Rishikesh and Haridwar would be cleaner than at AllAhahabad and beyond. If Divine and only good thoughts are in the Mind it is pure, if the intellect plans about Divine and good things, it is pure.I believe that for getting divine connection, purity of BMI is necessary....Gee Waman-------GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible..3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to theextent that they further help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limit the use to Sanskrit words and provide English wordbracketed.MODERATORRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -

Guest guest

QUESTION: I would like to understand the meaning of purity? Does Ganga snaan(bathing in Ganga river water) help in getting purity? What is the role ofpurity in life?Can an impure person get connection with God ?

Bhavin

------------------------

NEW POSTING

Namaste blessed sadhaks,"Although the path of devotion is an independent entity with no conditions or pre-requisites attached to it.It is a mine of all comforts. But a man can't get it without good company."(Manasa 1.2.4)One has the responsibility to take care of ones temple by pure foods that are clean.One has the responsibility to approach God with a pure heart and a clean body as a representation of Him."The first devotion mentioned in the Ramacaritamansa is the company of saints and exalted souls.(Manasa vii.44.3)"Satsanga is the root of joys and blessings and it is the fruit while all the other means are flowers."Serving others, giving and sharing with a pure heart with detachments from fruitage.Knowing God knows always what is best and that nothing is ours and becoming completely attached to our Supreme Source, everything is Paramatma and there is none else but Him.Gods Will always is purity.

Catherine Andersen

---------------------------

Purity is reduction of ignorance as that leads to reduction of desires and fears

which in turn leads to reduction of all possible sins one can ever incur in

terms of their children and grand children - greed, lust, anger, passion,

delusions, illusions, etc.

Ganga is The Knowledge that flows all around to sooth anyone who seeks it by

removing the ignorance embedded in the seeker effectively.

Receiving the knowledge to cleanse off the dirt one has collected from head to

toe in terms identities, ignorance and inertia, which are often collectively

called Vasanas, IS Gangaasnaana.

Respects.

Naga Narayana.

What is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ?Purity is reduction of ignorance as that leads to reduction of desires and fearswhich in turn leads to reduction of all possible sins one can ever incur interms of their children and grand children - greed, lust, anger, passion,delusions, illusions, etc.Ganga is The Knowledge that flows all around to sooth anyone who seeks it byremoving the ignorance embedded in the seeker effectively.Receiving the knowledge to cleanse off the dirt one has collected from head totoe in terms identities, ignorance and inertia, which are often collectivelycalled Vasanas, IS Gangaasnaana.Respects.Naga Narayana

Purity is reduction of ignorance as that leads to reduction of desires and fears

Respects.

Naga Narayana

Respects.

Naga Narayana

----

Polls Members Pending Calendar

Promote Invite

Management

Groups Labs (Beta) Applications

Tips

Did you know...Something new just for moderators. Experience Moderator Central.

Best of Y! Groups

Check them out and nominate your group.

Pending Messages

Pending Messages Help

Member uses group posting setting (Edit)

Index | View Source

224 of 238 < Previous | Next >

"S. R Amin" <amin2312 Wed May 13, 2009 7:03 am Re: Re: What is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ?

amin2312 Send Message Edit Membership

How can Ganga snaan help in purity? purity is not by washing one's

body but ones mind and purity comes only when a person thinks

positively about anyone who has done harm or who has not done any harm

to him. When a person thinks and blesses everyone around him/her

purifies their Karma. Yes even an impure person can get connected with

God . God does not judge a person, but the person judges himself .Life

teaches us to give but human beings are selfish in giving thinking

that if he gives he will be left with nothing, but he forget that the

more a person give the more he gets in life. If we observe around us

we find that the nature is always giving without judging anyone. They

do not even say that i have given you so return me.

Friends

Action required for purity of Soul is different than for cleanliness of body.We do not talk in terms of purity of body.

1)Purity means absence of ego mainly,experiencing presence of God in self and others and innocence.A child is pure.

2) Gita specifically does not say or mention anything about connection of Ganga Snaan with purity. Per my understanding, no Upanishad ,Ashtavakra Gita,Braham Sutra, Bhakti Sutra says anything about Ganga Snan.

The true religion gets lost slowly when we do not read & understand Gita.

Per what I understand, Ganga Snaan has nothing to do with either purity or religion.

3)Purity follows every virtue and is created very slowly.Kindness,forgiveness,Compassion ,Non -Violence,patience,trust etc creates purity.

It cannot be acquired directly,least by Ganga Snaan per my understanding. In materialistic life ,purity will create hardship and difficulties but there is no option but to go for Purity.

4)An impure person too is always connected with God.There is no way any person even if he is impure,sinner,wicked remains not-connected

with God.The only issue for impure person is he does not experience being connected with God.

Once we know that we are always connected with God creates purity.

It is impossible to be unconnected with God,but it is not impossible to think that you are.

If you think you are unconnected with God,you will experience that you are unconnected with God.

You may have this experience of unconnected with as long as you wish.

You may end this experience whenever you choose to think that you are connected with God.

The process is remembering that you are always connected with God. Re-membering is that you become again

member of the family of God

regards

Ashok Jain

---------

How can Ganga snaan help in purity? purity is not by washing one'sbody but ones mind and purity comes only when a person thinkspositively about anyone who has done harm or who has not done any harmto him. When a person thinks and blesses everyone around him/herpurifies their Karma. Yes even an impure person can get connected withGod . God does not judge a person, but the person judges himself .Lifeteaches us to give but human beings are selfish in giving thinkingthat if he gives he will be left with nothing, but he forget that themore a person give the more he gets in life. If we observe around uswe find that the nature is always giving without judging anyone. Theydo not even say that i have given you so return me.

"S. R Amin"

----------------------

Bhavin> the meaning of purity any one can easily find in geeta purity simply meansthat human being is depend on work so "KARM KARTA JA PHAL KI ICHHA MAT KAR"If u think like that and ur every work "SAMARPIT" (surrendered) to lord shiva aur shri krishanthan u r pure,Ganga snann can purify u physically as well as spiritually but actual purity ucan get by ur KARMA onlyAjay gaba------------------------

Polls Members Pending Calendar

Promote Invite

Management

Groups Labs (Beta) Applications

Tips

Did you know...Something new just for moderators. Experience Moderator Central.

Best of Y! Groups

Check them out and nominate your group.

Pending Messages

Pending Messages Help

Member uses group posting setting (Edit)

Index | View Source

224 of 238 < Previous | Next >

"S. R Amin" <amin2312 Wed May 13, 2009 7:03 am Re: Re: What is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ?

amin2312 Send Message Edit Membership

How can Ganga snaan help in purity? purity is not by washing one's

body but ones mind and purity comes only when a person thinks

positively about anyone who has done harm or who has not done any harm

to him. When a person thinks and blesses everyone around him/her

purifies their Karma. Yes even an impure person can get connected with

God . God does not judge a person, but the person judges himself .Life

teaches us to give but human beings are selfish in giving thinking

that if he gives he will be left with nothing, but he forget that the

more a person give the more he gets in life. If we observe around us

we find that the nature is always giving without judging anyone. They

do not even say that i have given you so return me.

Where is the sanctity in the Ganga?

Bhageeratha's effort in bringing the Ganga to the earth is an example of the legendary nature of Hindu scriptures. We are told that Sumathi, wife of King Sagara, gave birth to not two or three but 60, 000 sons. Legends can give incredible numbers. Sagara had another wife, Keshini. Keshini gave birth to Asamanja. Asamanja's son's name is Amsuman. King Sagara performed the Aswamedha Yaga. Gods should help and bless Sagara for tHe Yagna. But a God like Indra stole the horse of Sagara while he was performing the Yaga. Indra made another trick also. He wanted to put the blame on Kapila for stealing the horse. Seeing the horse tethered beside sage Kapila, the 60,000 sons of Sagara accused Kapila for stealing the horse. Kapila burnt Sagara's 60,000 sons in his anger. Kapila then told Amsuman that only the water of the Ganga can save the souls of Sagara's 60,000 sons. Amsuman's attempt to bring the Ganga to the earth from the celestial world was not a success. How did Amsuman enter the celestial world? In which planet did he find water? So Amsuman's grandson Bhageeratha performed rigorous penance. Another god Brahma was pleased with the penance of Bhageeratha and told him that the earth could not withstand the force of the Ganga if she descended to the earth and advised him to meet another god, Siva, who could bear the force of the Ganga. So Bhageeratha had to continue his penance which brought Siva before him. Siva agreed to bear the Ganga on his head. However, Ganga wanted to knock down Siva on her way to the earth. Siva understood her wicked intentions, and trapped her in his matted locks. So Bhageeratha had to make renewed efforts to get the Ganga to the earth. He prayed to Siva and Ganga was released from his matted locks. But the Ganga on her way destroyed the sacrificial fire of the sage Jahnu. Jahnu in his anger swallowed the Ganga. The Ganga was described by Braham as a forceful, torrential and stormy river which could be controlled only by Siva. Now an ordinary sage swallows it as a glass of water! Now Bhageeratha had to pray to sage Jahnu to forgive Ganga and release her from his stomach. Jahnu released poor Ganga from his stomach. Bhageeratha directed Ganga over the ashes of Sagara's 60,000 sons and they gained salvation.

yeshu rathenam

------------------------

PRIOR POSTING

Namaste. Bathing in Ganga water is symbolic. In the lower Himalayas - Rishikesh, Ram Jhula, Laxman Jhula - and higher up, the water is cold and clean, flowing rapidly down to the Gangetic Plains. On a pilgrimage to India, I noted the change in Ganges, from the fast-flowing water higher up to the lazy, meandering wide river at Varanasi, through Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkand, and then Kolkatta, where it was quite dirty, brown also with the recent rains. Of course, being physically clean is important, but Bhagavan tells us about the purification that really matters: The work of Yajna (sacrifice), charity (gift) and austerity should not be relinquished, but it should indeed be performed; (for) Yajna, gift and austerity are purifying to the wise. GEETA 18 - 5 Even these actions, namely Sacrifice, Charity, and Austerity should be performed "leaving aside attachment and the fruits." But even these works, O Pârtha, should be performed, leaving attachment and the fruits;�"such is My best and certain conviction.GEETA 18-6 Ram Ram Deosaran Bisnath------------------------------Shree Hari Ram Ram

Swamiji said attaching yourself to God is highest purity, as you will become pure, and purity is already naturally present.

Swamiji revered Gangaji and talked often about Gangaji. In a lecture he talked about God alone must be worshiped, meditated on, made offerings to, partake prasad from, similarly - One must only pay homage and save the soil of that land where God entered into His divine play. One must drink the nectar from Shaligram stone. One must pay homage and revere Gangaji herself, that touched the feet of the Lord. Hope this helps - Meera Das, Ram Ram

----------------------------PRIOR POSTING

Shree Hari Ram Ram

In "Ek Sant Ki Vasiyat" Swamiji has expressed his personal thoughts... (which he rarely did; mostly he spoke words of Gitaji, Ramcharitramanas and other scriptures). Swamiji clearly revered Gangaji..... like a mother! He states -

"I give greater importance to Gangaji, the Sun or reverence / recitation of holy scriptures instead of my visitation and viewing (my darshan)."

Many times he said- "Put Gangaajal (holy water) on everyone and become free and blissful. "

The next one is one of my most favorite examples that Swamiji used very often on the subject of God Realization in an instant

" Suppose we see a river. Someone says - this river is Gangaji. Hearing this, we are awed 'OH THIS IS GANGAJI !!!!!' It will instantly change our feeling and outlook towards the river. There is immediate reverence for Gangaji. And this change of outlook took no time. Was there any delay there? Did we need to exert anything? Were any actions or things required to reach this understanding? Similarly, in accepting that everything is God, no scriptures need to be studied, no meditation is to be practised, nothing is to be contemplated on, no hearing, thinking or profound meditation is required, no eyes are to be closed, the nose is not to be pressed (to control the breathing)..... "

With devotion, Meera Das, Ram Ram

-

Dear Sadaks,Mind, intellect and body in a human working in clarity of Dharmic way is purity. Normally when a person goes for Ganga Snaan also visits temple and ashrams around in those days (No flying visit) which gives insight on divinity, there by making path to purity. Impure person when very deeply regret with high sense of repentence, in depth of his heart then his ego diminishes, his desires to live vanishes, and he becomes most humble. When Ego and desire goes, then he gets connected to God faster than others says Naradha Bakthi Sutra.Jai Sri KrishnaB.Sathyanarayan

--------------------------Purity is the main ethics in Hindu religion. When it is stated in Hindu religion (as I understand) that by bathing in Ganges, we become pure then we have to believe and all of our sins are eradicated that that is why lacs of people bathe in Ganges or other rivers and ponds and even at home.There is Ganga Purana in which it is specially written that whosoever takes bath by reciting Ganga stotra,will get the same spiritual effect like bathing in GangesBelieve in our scriptures and spiritual beliefs. This is what I believePlease write your response Truly yoursS S Bhatt

--------------------------Dear Geeta Sadhakas, NamaskarAnything in its Natural state is pure and purity would mean being in Natural State. Purity of Body, purity of Mind and purity of Intellect. By taking a Mangal Snaan with clean water, would remove dirt from the skin, whether the water is from well, tap or any river including Ganga. Ganga water at Rishikesh and Haridwar would be cleaner than at AllAhahabad and beyond. If Divine and only good thoughts are in the Mind it is pure, if the intellect plans about Divine and good things, it is pure.

I believe that for getting divine connection, purity of BMI is necessary.

....Gee Waman

-------

GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible..3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to theextent that they further help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limit the use to Sanskrit words and provide English wordbracketed.

MODERATORRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -

Guest guest

QUESTION: I would like to understand the meaning of purity? Does Ganga snaan(bathing in Ganga river water) help in getting purity? What is the role ofpurity in life?Can an impure person get connection with God ?Bhavin------------------------NEW POSTING-Shree Hari- Dear Bhavinji,Namaskar: What a nice question, to consider purity in these murky times.Immersion of the body, as an act of spiritual purification is found in manyreligions. I can understand how a soul may decide as an expression of love for'The Divine' , join others in fellowship in partaking of Immersion/Sacredbathing. I do not think that such things will purify the soul and wash away Kama/ Sins.Remember there are many pure souls all over the world that will never see theGanges .Having said all that, I thought I would paste Ex Wikipedia, and thus pay duehomage to ' Mother Ganga':The Ganges river's long-held reputation as a purifying river appears to have abasis in science. First of all, the river carries bacteriophages that vanquishbacteria and more. The water has a unique and extraordinary ability to retainoxygen. As reported in a National Public Radio program, dysentery and choleraare killed off, preventing large-scale epidemics. The river has an unusualability to retain dissolved oxygen, but the reason for this ability isunknown.[6]I would draw your attention to the paste below:Ex Sadhaka 14 May.Sucih - The body of a devotee becomes very pure, because he has neither egoism,nor a sense of mine. His mind also becomes very pure because his mind is freefrom attachment and aversion, pleasure and pain, desire and wrath and such otherevils. Suh a devotee who is externally and internally pure, sanctifies otherpeople who behold him, talk to him and think of him.I have known a few truly pure souls, one was a Yogi , a very sweet man, juststanding near him you could feel his bliss, it seemed at times he was barelypart of the world, he was the one who said ,"Mike Baba said you do not need yoursword any more, He will look after you", this was a result of a connection with'The Divine Beloved' in meditation for both of us.So powerful was this message, meaning so much to me that few could understand, (very old), but yes I can write about it, but to speak of it reduces me totears still, after 15 years , just to know GOD loves me that much, the wordsemanating from such a pure soul.Thus I know divine Bhagwan loves us all, and turning to Him will wash away thedross, and leave one cleansed .Bhavinji, You asked , "Can an impure person get connection with God", well Ihave already answered you question I believe.These pastes from Getaji caught my eye:Bhagavad Gita Chapter 18:20: That by which one sees the one indestructible Reality in all beings, notseparate in all the separate beings�know you that knowledge to be Sattwic(pure).37: That which is like poison at first but in the end like nectar�that pleasureis declared to be Sattwic, born of the purity of one's own mind due toSelf-realisation.73. Routed out is my illusion as I have gained my memory (knowledge) throughyour grace, Krishna! I am firm; my doubts are gone. I will act according to yourword.With Respect and Divine Love,Mike (Keenor)-----------------Working on the Thought pollution is the key.......

All rituals and spiritual techniques help us clear the thought pollution.....

whether it is bathing in Ganga, puja -patt, meditation, yoga, pranayam....

at least for the time we are engaged in the ritual......

and that gives us feeling of peace and happiness.

For the second part, we have to know first Who we are?Sushil Jain-------------------------Purity means pure in thought and action withoutwhich one cannot progress in the path of spirituality. A person with impure thoughts and actions can hardly make any connection with God.Hari Shanker Deo--------------------------PRIOR POSTING Namaste blessed sadhaks,"Although the path of devotion is an independent entity with no conditions or pre-requisites attached to it.It is a mine of all comforts. But a man can't get it without good company."(Manasa 1.2.4)One has the responsibility to take care of ones temple by pure foods that are clean.One has the responsibility to approach God with a pure heart and a clean body as a representation of Him."The first devotion mentioned in the Ramacaritamansa is the company of saints and exalted souls.(Manasa vii.44.3)"Satsanga is the root of joys and blessings and it is the fruit while all the other means are flowers."Serving others, giving and sharing with a pure heart with detachments from fruitage.Knowing God knows always what is best and that nothing is ours and becoming completely attached to our Supreme Source, everything is Paramatma and there is none else but Him.Gods Will always is purity.Catherine Andersen---------------------------What is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ?Purity is reduction of ignorance as that leads to reduction of desires and fearswhich in turn leads to reduction of all possible sins one can ever incur interms of their children and grand children - greed, lust, anger, passion,delusions, illusions, etc.Ganga is The Knowledge that flows all around to sooth anyone who seeks it byremoving the ignorance embedded in the seeker effectively.Receiving the knowledge to cleanse off the dirt one has collected from head totoe in terms identities, ignorance and inertia, which are often collectivelycalled Vasanas, IS Gangaasnaana.Respects.Naga Narayana.What is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ?Purity is reduction of ignorance as that leads to reduction of desires and fearswhich in turn leads to reduction of all possible sins one can ever incur interms of their children and grand children - greed, lust, anger, passion,delusions, illusions, etc.Ganga is The Knowledge that flows all around to sooth anyone who seeks it byremoving the ignorance embedded in the seeker effectively.Receiving the knowledge to cleanse off the dirt one has collected from head totoe in terms identities, ignorance and inertia, which are often collectivelycalled Vasanas, IS Gangaasnaana.Respects.Naga NarayanaWhat is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ?Purity is reduction of ignorance as that leads to reduction of desires and fearswhich in turn leads to reduction of all possible sins one can ever incur interms of their children and grand children - greed, lust, anger, passion,delusions, illusions, etc.Ganga is The Knowledge that flows all around to sooth anyone who seeks it byremoving the ignorance embedded in the seeker effectively.Receiving the knowledge to cleanse off the dirt one has collected from head totoe in terms identities, ignorance and inertia, which are often collectivelycalled Vasanas, IS Gangaasnaana.Respects.Naga NarayanaWhat is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ?Purity is reduction of ignorance as that leads to reduction of desires and fearswhich in turn leads to reduction of all possible sins one can ever incur interms of their children and grand children - greed, lust, anger, passion,delusions, illusions, etc.Ganga is The Knowledge that flows all around to sooth anyone who seeks it byremoving the ignorance embedded in the seeker effectively.Receiving the knowledge to cleanse off the dirt one has collected from head totoe in terms identities, ignorance and inertia, which are often collectivelycalled Vasanas, IS Gangaasnaana.Respects.Naga Narayana---- * Polls * Members * Pending * Calendar * Promote * Invite * Management * Groups Labs (Beta) * Applications TipsDid you know...Something new just for moderators. Experience Moderator Central.Best of Y! Groups Check them out and nominate your group. Pending Messages Pending Messages HelpMember uses group posting setting (Edit)Index | View Source 224 of 238 < Previous | Next > "S. R Amin" <amin2312Wed May 13, 2009 7:03 amRe: Re: What is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ? amin2312Send Message Send MessageEdit Membership Edit MembershipHow can Ganga snaan help in purity? purity is not by washing one'sbody but ones mind and purity comes only when a person thinkspositively about anyone who has done harm or who has not done any harmto him. When a person thinks and blesses everyone around him/herpurifies their Karma. Yes even an impure person can get connected withGod . God does not judge a person, but the person judges himself .Lifeteaches us to give but human beings are selfish in giving thinkingthat if he gives he will be left with nothing, but he forget that themore a person give the more he gets in life. If we observe around uswe find that the nature is always giving without judging anyone. Theydo not even say that i have given you so return me.Friends Action required for purity of Soul is different than for cleanliness of body.We do not talk in terms of purity of body.1)Purity means absence of ego mainly,experiencing presence of God in self and others and innocence.A child is pure.2) Gita specifically does not say or mention anything about connection of Ganga Snaan with purity. Per my understanding, no Upanishad ,Ashtavakra Gita,Braham Sutra, Bhakti Sutra says anything about Ganga Snan.The true religion gets lost slowly when we do not read & understand Gita.Per what I understand, Ganga Snaan has nothing to do with either purity or religion.3)Purity follows every virtue and is created very slowly.Kindness,forgiveness,Compassion ,Non -Violence,patience,trust etc creates purity.It cannot be acquired directly,least by Ganga Snaan per my understanding. In materialistic life ,purity will create hardship and difficulties but there is no option but to go for Purity.4)An impure person too is always connected with God.There is no way any person even if he is impure,sinner,wicked remains not-connectedwith God.The only issue for impure person is he does not experience being connected with God. Once we know that we are always connected with God creates purity. It is impossible to be unconnected with God,but it is not impossible to think that you are.If you think you are unconnected with God,you will experience that you are unconnected with God.You may have this experience of unconnected with as long as you wish.You may end this experience whenever you choose to think that you are connected with God. The process is remembering that you are always connected with God. Re-membering is that you become againmember of the family of God regards Ashok Jain---------How can Ganga snaan help in purity? purity is not by washing one'sbody but ones mind and purity comes only when a person thinkspositively about anyone who has done harm or who has not done any harmto him. When a person thinks and blesses everyone around him/herpurifies their Karma. Yes even an impure person can get connected withGod . God does not judge a person, but the person judges himself .Lifeteaches us to give but human beings are selfish in giving thinkingthat if he gives he will be left with nothing, but he forget that themore a person give the more he gets in life. If we observe around uswe find that the nature is always giving without judging anyone. Theydo not even say that i have given you so return me. "S. R Amin"----------------------Bhavin> the meaning of purity any one can easily find in geeta purity simply meansthat human being is depend on work so "KARM KARTA JA PHAL KI ICHHA MAT KAR"If u think like that and ur every work "SAMARPIT" (surrendered) to lord shiva aur shri krishanthan u r pure,Ganga snann can purify u physically as well as spiritually but actual purity ucan get by ur KARMA onlyAjay gaba------------------------ * Polls * Members * Pending * Calendar * Promote * Invite * Management * Groups Labs (Beta) * Applications TipsDid you know...Something new just for moderators. Experience Moderator Central.Best of Y! Groups Check them out and nominate your group. Pending Messages Pending Messages HelpMember uses group posting setting (Edit)Index | View Source 224 of 238 < Previous | Next > "S. R Amin" <amin2312Wed May 13, 2009 7:03 amRe: Re: What is the meaning of PURITY? Is Ganga Snaan going to give one purity ? amin2312Send Message Send MessageEdit Membership Edit MembershipHow can Ganga snaan help in purity? purity is not by washing one'sbody but ones mind and purity comes only when a person thinkspositively about anyone who has done harm or who has not done any harmto him. When a person thinks and blesses everyone around him/herpurifies their Karma. Yes even an impure person can get connected withGod . God does not judge a person, but the person judges himself .Lifeteaches us to give but human beings are selfish in giving thinkingthat if he gives he will be left with nothing, but he forget that themore a person give the more he gets in life. If we observe around uswe find that the nature is always giving without judging anyone. Theydo not even say that i have given you so return me.Where is the sanctity in the Ganga? Bhageeratha's effort in bringing the Ganga to the earth is an example of the legendary nature of Hindu scriptures. We are told that Sumathi, wife of King Sagara, gave birth to not two or three but 60, 000 sons. Legends can give incredible numbers. Sagara had another wife, Keshini. Keshini gave birth to Asamanja. Asamanja's son's name is Amsuman. King Sagara performed the Aswamedha Yaga. Gods should help and bless Sagara for tHe Yagna. But a God like Indra stole the horse of Sagara while he was performing the Yaga. Indra made another trick also. He wanted to put the blame on Kapila for stealing the horse. Seeing the horse tethered beside sage Kapila, the 60,000 sons of Sagara accused Kapila for stealing the horse. Kapila burnt Sagara's 60,000 sons in his anger. Kapila then told Amsuman that only the water of the Ganga can save the souls of Sagara's 60,000 sons. Amsuman's attempt to bring the Ganga to the earth from the celestial world was not a success. How did Amsuman enter the celestial world? In which planet did he find water? So Amsuman's grandson Bhageeratha performed rigorous penance. Another god Brahma was pleased with the penance of Bhageeratha and told him that the earth could not withstand the force of the Ganga if she descended to the earth and advised him to meet another god, Siva, who could bear the force of the Ganga. So Bhageeratha had to continue his penance which brought Siva before him. Siva agreed to bear the Ganga on his head. However, Ganga wanted to knock down Siva on her way to the earth. Siva understood her wicked intentions, and trapped her in his matted locks. So Bhageeratha had to make renewed efforts to get the Ganga to the earth. He prayed to Siva and Ganga was released from his matted locks. But the Ganga on her way destroyed the sacrificial fire of the sage Jahnu. Jahnu in his anger swallowed the Ganga. The Ganga was described by Braham as a forceful, torrential and stormy river which could be controlled only by Siva. Now an ordinary sage swallows it as a glass of water! Now Bhageeratha had to pray to sage Jahnu to forgive Ganga and release her from his stomach. Jahnu released poor Ganga from his stomach. Bhageeratha directed Ganga over the ashes of Sagara's 60,000 sons and they gained salvation.yeshu rathenam------------------------PRIOR POSTINGNamaste. Bathing in Ganga water is symbolic. In the lower Himalayas - Rishikesh, Ram Jhula, Laxman Jhula - and higher up, the water is cold and clean, flowing rapidly down to the Gangetic Plains. On a pilgrimage to India, I noted the change in Ganges, from the fast-flowing water higher up to the lazy, meandering wide river at Varanasi, through Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkand, and then Kolkatta, where it was quite dirty, brown also with the recent rains. Of course, being physically clean is important, but Bhagavan tells us about the purification that really matters:The work of Yajna (sacrifice), charity (gift) and austerity should not be relinquished, but it should indeed be performed; (for) Yajna, gift and austerity are purifying to the wise. GEETA 18 - 5 Even these actions, namely Sacrifice, Charity, and Austerity should be performed "leaving aside attachment and the fruits." But even these works, O Pârtha, should be performed, leaving attachment and the fruits;�"such is My best and certain conviction.GEETA 18-6 Ram RamDeosaran Bisnath------------------------------Shree Hari Ram Ram Swamiji said attaching yourself to God is highest purity, as you will become pure, and purity is already naturally present.Swamiji revered Gangaji and talked often about Gangaji. In a lecture he talked about God alone must be worshiped, meditated on, made offerings to, partake prasad from, similarly - One must only pay homage and save the soil of that land where God entered into His divine play. One must drink the nectar from Shaligram stone.One must pay homage and revere Gangaji herself, that touched the feet of the Lord. Hope this helps - Meera Das, Ram Ram ----------------------------PRIOR POSTING Shree Hari Ram RamIn "Ek Sant Ki Vasiyat" Swamiji has expressed his personal thoughts... (which he rarely did; mostly he spoke words of Gitaji, Ramcharitramanas and other scriptures). Swamiji clearly revered Gangaji..... like a mother! He states - "I give greater importance to Gangaji, the Sun or reverence / recitation of holy scriptures instead of my visitation and viewing (my darshan)."Many times he said- "Put Gangaajal (holy water) on everyone and become free and blissful. "The next one is one of my most favorite examples that Swamiji used very often on the subject of God Realization in an instant " Suppose we see a river. Someone says - this river is Gangaji. Hearing this, we are awed 'OH THIS IS GANGAJI !!!!!' It will instantly change our feeling and outlook towards the river. There is immediate reverence for Gangaji. And this change of outlook took no time. Was there any delay there? Did we need to exert anything? Were any actions or things required to reach this understanding? Similarly, in accepting that everything is God, no scriptures need to be studied, no meditation is to be practised, nothing is to be contemplated on, no hearing, thinking or profound meditation is required, no eyes are to be closed, the nose is not to be pressed (to control the breathing)..... " With devotion, Meera Das, Ram Ram-Dear Sadaks,Mind, intellect and body in a human working in clarity of Dharmic way is purity. Normally when a person goes for Ganga Snaan also visits temple and ashrams around in those days (No flying visit) which gives insight on divinity, there by making path to purity. Impure person when very deeply regret with high sense of repentence, in depth of his heart then his ego diminishes, his desires to live vanishes, and he becomes most humble. When Ego and desire goes, then he gets connected to God faster than others says Naradha Bakthi Sutra.Jai Sri KrishnaB.Sathyanarayan--------------------------Purity is the main ethics in Hindu religion. When it is stated in Hindu religion (as I understand) that by bathing in Ganges, we become pure then we have to believe and all of our sins are eradicated that that is why lacs of people bathe in Ganges or other rivers and ponds and even at home.There is Ganga Purana in which it is specially written that whosoever takes bath by reciting Ganga stotra,will get the same spiritual effect like bathing in GangesBelieve in our scriptures and spiritual beliefs. This is what I believePlease write your response Truly yoursS S Bhatt--------------------------Dear Geeta Sadhakas, NamaskarAnything in its Natural state is pure and purity would mean being in Natural State. Purity of Body, purity of Mind and purity of Intellect. By taking a Mangal Snaan with clean water, would remove dirt from the skin, whether the water is from well, tap or any river including Ganga. Ganga water at Rishikesh and Haridwar would be cleaner than at AllAhahabad and beyond. If Divine and only good thoughts are in the Mind it is pure, if the intellect plans about Divine and good things, it is pure.I believe that for getting divine connection, purity of BMI is necessary....Gee Waman-------GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible..3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to theextent that they further help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limit the use to Sanskrit words and provide English wordbracketed.MODERATORRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -