IndiaDivine.org

Effects of Satsang on a Few and Not Others - What is the reason?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

With Satsang (holy company / association with Truth) some people's lives change

and some people's don't. Is there any reasoning behind this?

in hindi:

satsang se kisi ki jindgi badalti hein kisi ki nahi kya esa koi karan bhi hein

Ramchandra

========================================

GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -

FOR QUESTIONER

1. The questions as far as possible must be relevant to Gita, relevant to

Dharma, relavant to other scriptures and relevant to motivate Sadhaks to take up

spiritual path

2. The Questioner must commit to daily Gita study

3. Only one question at a time.

4. Question must be brief, to the point and relevant to the group's primary aim

of deeper understanding of Gita.

GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES for RESPONDER: PLEASE -

1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.

2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible.

3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to the extent that they

further help in understanding the Gita shlokas

4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.

5. Focus on subject at hand only.

6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, address

etc) or personalize message to particular person

7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modify

the posting.

8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limit

the use to Sanskrit words and provide English word bracketed.

Ram Ram

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

Post message:

Subscribe: -

Un: -

With Satsang (holy company / association with Truth) some people's lives changeand some people's don't. Is there any reasoning behind this?in hindi:satsang se kisi ki jindgi badalti hein kisi ki nahi kya esa koi karan bhi heinRamchandra========================================

NEW POSTING

Ram RamDear Ramchandraji,Swamiji has answered the same question as it is in book 'Prashnouttermanimala' page 136. This book is a collection of questions and answers. According to the preface, these questions were asked by sadhak Sri Rajendraji Dhawan in his association with Swamiji over 20 years. All sadhaks have similar kind of questions which have been answered in this book.Answer to this question from bookWhoever has these 4 characteristics, satsang does not have any effect on them1. Ego2. Not willing to accept others' thoughts3. Ignorance4. ArgumentThere is only one remedy for such a person - 'Sorrow'. When he will be engulfed with sorrow then only he will wake up. (Punishment is the only medicine for fools).Thanks,Hare KrishnaVarun P. Paprunia

--------

Dear Sadaks,Sat Sangh means in reality-- Sat (Truth- Paramathuma) merges with Sangh. The Sat Sangh we are doing is preliminary sadana to reach Sat. Budha on seeing aged sick man, then seeing a dead body being carried, went into to deep contemplation and achieved realization. We also get at cremation ground or burial ground a sort of renunciation. But it lasts only a day or two. In Sat Sangh the very fundamental is to negate anger. But how many of us achieve that state? Leave meditation, Sadana, Yoga Etc. When simple thing is not put into practice, how can one achieve to overcome the Six enemies Kama, Krodha, Loba, Madha Etc What listened in Sat Sangh in most cases are just lost a day later. But the question is How did some get the full benefit of Sat Sangh? Only when fundamentals are practiced one gets that benefit, since the mind body and intellect are tuned to receive grace of Guru or Govind. One just runs and returns from temple so fast that hardly we know he went to temple. But Sastras say the rules to visit temple. Once those rules are followed, anthakarna Sudhi (cleansing of mind and intellect) takes place and such a person sees God in everyone Vasudeva Sarvam.Jai Sri KrishnaB.Sathyanarayan

--------

Shree Hari

|| Ram Ram ||

Dear Ramchandraji

Thank you for a very good question, this exact situation is faced by many of the sadhkas. Swamiji Maharaj has explained this particular point in many of his discourses.

The basic reason is that even though sadhakas attend Satsanga regularly but at the same time, they are still attached very much to the world, they continue to depend upon the transient joys drawn from the material world (Bhoga or pleasure and Sangrah or hoarding, Ref: Gita 2-41 and 2-44). Unless the sadhakas deep down change their attitude and change their ways of everyday life style, no real progress in the spiritual path is possible. Yes, it can surely help to boost the ego (thinking that one is doing Satsang, so, he is better than most others who do not engage in Satsanga). Swamiji Maharaj has explained this fact for different sadhkas as follows:

1. Bhakti Yoga

Accepting that everything is God and the acceptance of personal relationship with God is very important. (As Meera's 'mere to Giridhar Gopal, dusra no koie).

Swamiji has outlined the five nectars for a devotee:

- I am God's only

- Wherever I live, I live in His court only

- Whatever good works I do, do for Him only

- Whatever good things I receive, it is due to His grace only

- Whatever good things I receive, with these, I serve God's people only

2. Karma Yoga

- Not doing actions for one's own selfish motive, but doing all actions for others and at the same time, not having any expectation or desire for the fruit of these actions (Ref: Gita 3-9 and 2-47).

3. Jnana Yoga

- Realizing the true nature of Atma or Self, withdrawing from the world

(Ref: Gita 2/11-30 and 15-7)

|| Ram Ram ||

Humble regards,Madan Kaura

-----------------------

Dear sadhakas,Hare krishna. This is in response to a question from a sadhaka. People in same satsang may have different degrees of devotion. Lord Krishna says inBhagavad Gita," Ye yatha mam prapadyante,Tams tathaiva bhajamy aham,Mama vartmanuvartante,Manusyah partha sarvasah". ( Gitaji 4, 11. )Which means,' As all people surrender unto Me, I reward them accordingly. Every one follows My path. 'When our devotion is sincere, and our surrender to the Lord Krishna is complete, then He takes care of us completely. Bhakta Prahlada and saint Tukarama are the examples here. They surrendered totally and Lord reciprocated in kind. And also, deeds from our past life may have something to do with our devotion in this life. When we are in devotional service, yet imperfect at the time of our demise,then in our next life, we start where we left off in our previous life. That is the reason we see some people are into devotional service earlyon in their lives. Pure devotional service, with total surrender at the lotus feet of Lord Krishna is the key for liberation from this material bondage. Thank You,Hare Krishna. Prasad.A.Iragavarapu, M.D

------------------

Shree Hari

Ram Ram

You question has already been answered by Swamiji in the book "Manav Maatre Kalyaan ke Liye" (in hindi) pg. 68. It is said in there that "one who engages in Satsang and there are no chnages in them is not possible at all. One who does satsang, the changes in them are inevitable. If there are no changes, then he has not received true (geniune, authentic) satsang at all. If one has received authentic satsang, there there is no possibility of there not being any change.

Vineet Sarvottam

-------------------

JAI SACHIDANAND,

With satsang everyone's life changes. Valmiki is a live example of this. If a criminal robber and murderer's life can change, then why not all of us. The effect of satsang also took place in my life, and it took place to such an extent that Swamiji Maharaj transformed my life completely. He showed the path of Truth - that I am the eternal, pure, sentient, wise, free, oberver, the spirit. I am not his body and this life. Desire that which is already attained and do not desire what is unattained. This is all due to satsang of Maharaji. It is my experience that everyone's life can change with satsang, even with reading the scriptures. Ever eternal spirit..

SATSANG SE SABKI JINDGI BADALTI HAI. BALMIKI ISKA JEETA JAGTA UDAHARAN HAI. JAB EK DAKU KA JEEVAN BADAL SAKTA HAI. HAM SAB KUAN NAHI. SATSANG KA ASAR MERE PAR BHEE PARA AUR ESA PARA KI SWAMIJI MAHARAJ NE JEEVAN BADAL DIYA. UNOHEIN SATYA KA MARG DIKHA DIYA KI MEIN EK NITYA SHUDH BUDH MUKT SAKSHI AATMA HAI. MAIN SHARIR SANSAR NAHIN HUN. PRAPT KO JANO AUR APRAPT KO MUT CHAHO. THIS IS ALL DUE TO SATSANG OF MAHARAJ JI. MERA DAVA HAI KI SATSANG SE SAB KA JEEVAN BADLA JA SAKTA HAI SHASTRA PARE BINA HI.

NIJ AATMA

-------------------

Priy sadhak its power of perception

accepting and sanskar

Every one has it different

Thanx

Raja Gurdasani

-------------------

First it depends on the Teacher who is conducting Satsang. If he or she is arealised person, Satsang becomes effective in making positive change in the lifeof participant. Second point is the openness of the Sadhak. Benefit does notcome if the mind is closed. Thirdly it depends on the Ego level. Although aSadhak may be open-minded,it takes plenty of time for Ego to break reasonably inthe initial stages. Many people may be lacking the important ingrdients ofFaith,Patience and Perseverence to get results. And lastly the Divine Grace.Geeta Verse 14/18 reads as this : Adhisthanam,tatha Karta. Karanam chapruthakvidham, Vividhaha cha pruthakchestaha,Daivam cha eve atra Panchamam.Jayantilal Shah

-------------------

People join satsangs for one or more of the following reasons:

1. To know what it is all about

2. To get relief from anxities, tensions and stres from every day life.

3. Spend time as they have no other options at old age

4. To improve their life spiritually: to remain honest, dutiful, spread love, acquire wisdom from saintly others.

5. Enjoy a kind of club activity

6. Join the bandwagon and get recognised as a Sat person because of association

7. To learn what all things can be said to others in daily life so as to give an image of a good, spiritual man to hide one's crookedness.

Since the motivations are different, the results of joining and continuing with Satsang differs.

The mix of the three gunas varies from person to person and therefore what they get from Satsang al;so differs. Those who did not change are those who joined because of reasons like 2, 5, 6 and 7 above and had very subdued Sat guna. Those who join Satsang for reasons mentioned at 1, 2 and 4 above are unlikely to chnage unless they are strong sat guna characteristic persons.

Basudeb Sen

A man is known by the company he keeps. Also birds of a feather flocktogether. There are so many students in each class but only one comesfirst. Therefore it is solely up to us to gain or not from a satsangof holy men. Only one who is on the spiritual path through sewa,meditation and sadhana will gain through satsang.Hari Shanker Deo

-

Respected Sir,

Namaste to all sadhaks,

I am taking a pleasure to give a small reply to your query. In our Bengali, there is a phrase: Satsange e Swarg Baas, Asatsange Narak Baas". It means if you are with good company is good, if we are with bad company, obviously bad. (As happened with Jagdisha in Balika Badhu Serial in Colors Channel).

So u shd not worry. If u r in with any Satsang that is for the good reason. If one's life is not changing, I think he/she is already in a good path.

Regret if I said anything wrong.

Thanks

Ruchira

-----GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -FOR QUESTIONER1. The questions as far as possible must be relevant to Gita, relevant toDharma, relavant to other scriptures and relevant to motivate Sadhaks to take upspiritual path2. The Questioner must commit to daily Gita study3. Only one question at a time.4. Question must be brief, to the point and relevant to the group's primary aimof deeper understanding of Gita.GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES for RESPONDER: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible.3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to the extent that theyfurther help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limitthe use to Sanskrit words and provide English word bracketed.MODERATORRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -