IndiaDivine.org

Is being Influenced by Preferences a Deviation from Karma Yoga? Please Guide

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all,

I've been reading and following gita for the past couple of years, the peace and

clarity i achieved is simply amazing.

Unfortunately a simple question is rankling my brain ever since i graduated from

college.

My area of focus is networking software. But of late i've been receiving job

offers in web development, linux admin positions..etc, which is not my area of

specialization. Though I have done those jobs in the past, but don't want to do

that anymore.

Its not about the money or anything else. Its just that i dont have the passion

to that kind of jobs anymore.

A true karmayogi is not attached to anything. Ever since i started followed gita

the first thing i gave up is desire and ego.

Am i deviating from the path of karma yoga by selectively choosing the jobs.

Should i do the jobs i receive as lord's will or should i go ahead and choose

the jobs where i have done a lot of research.

Please guide...thanks...

Krishna

======================================

GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -

FOR QUESTIONER

1. The questions as far as possible must be relevant to Gita, relevant to

Dharma, relavant to other scriptures and relevant to motivate Sadhaks to take up

spiritual path

2. The Questioner must commit to daily Gita study

3. Only one question at a time.

4. Question must be brief, to the point and relevant to the group's primary aim

of deeper understanding of Gita.

GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES for RESPONDER: PLEASE -

1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.

2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible.

3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to the extent that they

further help in understanding the Gita shlokas

4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.

5. Focus on subject at hand only.

6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, address

etc) or personalize message to particular person

7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modify

the posting.

8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limit

the use to Sanskrit words and provide English word bracketed.

GITA TALK MODERATORS

Ram Ram

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

Post message:

Subscribe: -

Un: -

Hi all,I've been reading and following gita for the past couple of years, the peace andclarity i achieved is simply amazing.Unfortunately a simple question is rankling my brain ever since i graduated fromcollege.My area of focus is networking software. But of late i've been receiving joboffers in web development, linux admin positions..etc, which is not my area ofspecialization. Though I have done those jobs in the past, but don't want to dothat anymore.Its not about the money or anything else. Its just that i dont have the passionto that kind of jobs anymore.A true karmayogi is not attached to anything. Ever since i started followed gitathe first thing i gave up is desire and ego.Am i deviating from the path of karma yoga by selectively choosing the jobs.Should i do the jobs i receive as lord's will or should i go ahead and choosethe jobs where i have done a lot of research.Please guide...thanks...Krishna

-----------------

NEW POSTING

Dear Sadhakas,Hare Krishna. This is in response to a question from a sadhaka. Work done for the welfare of others, without any attachment to the fruits of the action is Karma Yoga. Lord Krishna advises us in Bhagavad Gita to do the action. Lord Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita," Karmanyevadhikaraste,Ma phalesu kadacana,Ma karma phala heturbhur,Ma te sango stvakarmani. " ( Gitaji, 2, 47)Which means,'You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but not to the fruits of the action. Do not consider yourself the cause of the results of your action. Never be attached to , not doing your duty. 'Our mission is to act, for the welfare of mankind, not worrying about the results. Thank You. Hare Krishna. Prasad.A.Iragavarapu, M.D

-----------------------------

Geeta verse 7/3 defines Karma Yoga as follows:

Yaha tu Indriyani Manasa Niyamya Arabhate Arjuna,Karmendriyaihi Karmayogam,Asaktaha Saha Vishishyate.

It simply and clearly means that you have to control your mind to refrain fromcraving and aversion towards any type of work. So if you have preference towardsparticular work, while doing so you should not develope aversion towards othertype; and do the work you would like to do without attachment i.e.with fulldevotion.It will also be advisable to read a booklet by Swami Vivekanand on Karma-Yogaavailable with Ram-krishna Mission; you will get clarity on your question andguidance on whichever work you are doing.

With Good Wishes,

Jayantilal Shah

---------------------------

shree hari:

ram ram.

a question in answer to your question is : could you choose and do any job that God wasn't willing for you to choose and do?

please read verses in Gita 4:20, Gita 5:8, Gita 13:31 and Gita 18:16 from Sadhak Sanjeevanee by Swami Ramsukhdasjee.

vineet,

sarvottam

-----

Dear Sadhakas, Namste!Kridhnaji is asking "Am i deviating from the path of karma yoga by selectively choosing the jobs. The answer is no, you are not deviating, provided, karmas are done without assuming/believing/feeling that "you" are the doer. Make/understand "you" as witness of the instrument - body, mind, intellect, choosing and doing the work guided by the Dharma. Know that as instrument you have no control of results except to learn from it and do the best next time. Karma-Yoga is Karma performed without being "doer-enjoyer".Next question is:Should i do the jobs I receive as lord's will or should I go ahead and choose the jobs where I have done a lot of research."Again, if your karmas are guided by Dharma all the time, you will get guidance to choose those jobs which you should and love to do, and contribute positively along with making a living for family.When you do so, it is really God that is doing it to accomplish what He wants to do it(greater good) while taking care of the instrument-you. BG 9:22, "yoga ksemam vahamyaham"..Namaskar....Pratap Bhatt

In these hard times jobs are scarce. However you should do a job which gives you satisfaction. So you should take up the job offered while looking for the job of your choice. Glad to know that reading the Gita has given you peace and clarity.

Hari Shanker Deo

---

aaaaa h !.........Krishna is sarvam...........Krishna is Existence, .....Krishna is the self seated in the hearts of all beings....

when the quest is Krishna, questions arise in krishna's breast ......

and,to the questions, Krishna Himself , one day, some day, comes as the the answer ............

no doubt ....... Vasudevaye sarvam............. Krishna is all ..........

But

the eternal paradox of action and destiny confuses the self

this , then, is your present predicament, krishna .................ah !

and the answer to the question ..............how indeed does one resolve the conflict between Action and Destiny ?

A practical approach to adopt as 'understanding ' for a day to day Living would be :

At any point of time, consider all that you may have gone through in life as Destiny,or the Writ of Vasudeva; and whatever Existence presents as the situation in This Moment Now, is the situation for your action. Is for you to choose.

This would enable you to ' de-involve ' from your past ( regrets, guilt etc ) , and hence tackle the situation of the Moment more objectively. And no sooner is your action of the Moment over, the ' Now ' has also slipped into the Past ! And the past ? it was all ordained... it was destined....... was your Destiny !

And so..... your action... your doing was ..... is.... only an illusion....

Also, some day, this will enable you to move into the ultimate wisdom that All that happens is the Existence's doing... Existence's writ.... and, you, as an integral part of the Existence only carry out Existence's writ. You are not other than Existence ! Thus are you freed from 'Doing', and move into 'not-doing '.... wherein all just happens, as it must .All doubts drop. Krishna smiles ......... so does krishna ...........!

As long as the Jiva is in duality, The paradox between Action and Destiny can never be resolved ! Only, when duality comes to an end, when the Self is realised as 'One-ness ; is the paradox resolved in the understanding that the two( action and destiny ) are also One, separated only by Time, which is only a Mental construct ; Time is a ‘myth’ and has no reality really !

Till then, The above is a practical resolution of Action and Destiny .

the spiritual Path is the way........ the bhagvada geetha shows us the way............ walking the way is our own choice !

and, blessed are you, krishna.................you are walking the Path.......................

AUM

narinder bhandari

======================================GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -FOR QUESTIONER1. The questions as far as possible must be relevant to Gita, relevant toDharma, relavant to other scriptures and relevant to motivate Sadhaks to take upspiritual path2. The Questioner must commit to daily Gita study3. Only one question at a time.4. Question must be brief, to the point and relevant to the group's primary aimof deeper understanding of Gita.GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES for RESPONDER: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible.3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to the extent that theyfurther help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limitthe use to Sanskrit words and provide English word bracketed.GITA TALK MODERATORSRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -

Hi all,I've been reading and following gita for the past couple of years, the peace andclarity i achieved is simply amazing.Unfortunately a simple question is rankling my brain ever since i graduated fromcollege.My area of focus is networking software. But of late i've been receiving joboffers in web development, linux admin positions..etc, which is not my area ofspecialization. Though I have done those jobs in the past, but don't want to dothat anymore.Its not about the money or anything else. Its just that i dont have the passionto that kind of jobs anymore.A true karmayogi is not attached to anything. Ever since i started followed gitathe first thing i gave up is desire and ego.Am i deviating from the path of karma yoga by selectively choosing the jobs.Should i do the jobs i receive as lord's will or should i go ahead and choosethe jobs where i have done a lot of research.Please guide...thanks...Krishna

-----------------

NEW POSTING

Dear Sadak,What comes to you- an opportunity or termination of your job is PRASAD from Bagavan. Always keep in mind , "You are NOT Kartha (Doer) of anything" and happiness and peace remains in you. Another way looking at: how many things happened due to your effort? If it happened, still because of conducive situation Bagavan provided. If it did not happen, 1) you are not entitled because of your karma. 2) Bagavan did not want you to venture in it as it might result in disaster.Lotus pond looks very pleasing. But when one enters to pluck it, may loose his life. Marriage is very pleasant for the bride, bridegroom, their parents, relatives ETc celebrated grandly. Result- short lived happiness of the bodies and long living sufferings for bride or the bridegroom in many cases. Even taking well matched couple, the sufferings are there, as if one gets home late agony, if one falls sick agony, if some one abuses agony, children not caring good habits agony, sister in law, brother in laws and all laws frame their own laws is agony. But we all live in these, because it is Bagavan Prasad. Taking it like that, everything gives joy. You are not decision maker. Leave it to Bagavan. Let what may come- take it. Let what may go- leave it.B.Sathyanarayan

-------------------------

Shree Hari Ram Ram

Preferences are nothing but likes and dislikes. Swamiji and Gitaji both says that preferences (likes and dislikes) are traps. Just like the monkey traps his hands in a pot of nuts, we trap ourselves with the likes and dislikes (preferences).

Swamiji says - Our activities should not be influenced by preferences (likes and dislikes), rather they must be in accordance with the scriptures. When we have preferences (likes-dislikes i.e. duality) we are generally considering the ever-changing world as permanent. The outcome of actions undertaken under the influence of preferences is not very good because we develop attachment to those actions that we like, thus we cannot find faults / flaws in them. Whereas those actions we dislike, we do not see any good qualities in them. Preferences are self created. Actions must be undertaken with discrimination (vivek).

It is only on being free of preferences (likes and dislikes), that we are able to see the true nature of a thing.For a Karma Yogi, everything belongs to the world, therefore what preferences?

In reality, everything is divine, but because of preferences (likes and dislikes), it appears as inert. If preferences (likesand dislikes) were absent, then besides divinity there is nothing else existing.

How amazing is this point that Swamiji has brought out!

Meera Das

Ram Ram

----------------

As Swami Dayananda says--One has to live intelligently.

In 2009, you do not know where your next job is or prospects for that job come from.

If you are single, you can do whatever you desire and let the job fall in your lap, and

let the fate decide where you land and you can live without any expectation. If as you say,

you also do reserach in your field, I have a feeling that you are good at what you do, and

hopefully, the employer will recognize your worth.

If you are a married man, your obligations to your wife and child are as important as your

attempts at living through Karmayoga, as you describe. The job then becomes more important.

Do whatever needs to be done to maintain that job, but try not to live beyond your means, and

try to abide by principles that you have outlined for yourself, and offer all action as well as fruit

of action to God, and accept all result as Prasada . The example is of King Janaka, who lived

as a King should, not as a Sadhu, but was disassociated from the mundane needs of daily living !

He did not impose himself on others, nor was he subservient, did the appropriate things required of

a king, but lived dispassionately.

Durgesh Mankikar,MD-----------------------------

Jai Shri HariNarinderJi, I really love your approach and feel very happy reading your responses.The shloka 4:19 ("YASYA SARVE SAMAARAMBHA KAAM SANKALP VARJITAAH") does allow a kermayogi to start any new task (e.g. change the job in your case) without any selfish desire and determination (i.e. sankalp) where as bhaktiyogis (being totally dependent upon the God) and gyaanyogis (thinking prakriti does everything) do not bring in their own desires in starting any new task ("SARVAARAMBHA PARITYAAGI" - 12:16 & 14:25). With Love & RegardsNiteesh Dubey

------------------

PRIOR POSTING

Dear Sadhakas,Hare Krishna. This is in response to a question from a sadhaka. Work done for the welfare of others, without any attachment to the fruits of the action is Karma Yoga. Lord Krishna advises us in Bhagavad Gita to do the action. Lord Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita," Karmanyevadhikaraste,Ma phalesu kadacana,Ma karma phala heturbhur,Ma te sango stvakarmani. " ( Gitaji, 2, 47)Which means,'You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but not to the fruits of the action. Do not consider yourself the cause of the results of your action. Never be attached to , not doing your duty. 'Our mission is to act, for the welfare of mankind, not worrying about the results. Thank You. Hare Krishna. Prasad.A.Iragavarapu, M.D

Geeta verse 7/3 defines Karma Yoga as follows:

Yaha tu Indriyani Manasa Niyamya Arabhate Arjuna,Karmendriyaihi Karmayogam,Asaktaha Saha Vishishyate.

It simply and clearly means that you have to control your mind to refrain fromcraving and aversion towards any type of work. So if you have preference towardsparticular work, while doing so you should not develope aversion towards othertype; and do the work you would like to do without attachment i.e.with fulldevotion.It will also be advisable to read a booklet by Swami Vivekanand on Karma-Yogaavailable with Ram-krishna Mission; you will get clarity on your question andguidance on whichever work you are doing.

With Good Wishes,

Jayantilal Shah

---------------------------

shree hari:

ram ram.

a question in answer to your question is : could you choose and do any job that God wasn't willing for you to choose and do?

please read verses in Gita 4:20, Gita 5:8, Gita 13:31 and Gita 18:16 from Sadhak Sanjeevanee by Swami Ramsukhdasjee.

vineet,

sarvottam

-----

Dear Sadhakas, Namste!Kridhnaji is asking "Am i deviating from the path of karma yoga by selectively choosing the jobs. The answer is no, you are not deviating, provided, karmas are done without assuming/believing/feeling that "you" are the doer. Make/understand "you" as witness of the instrument - body, mind, intellect, choosing and doing the work guided by the Dharma. Know that as instrument you have no control of results except to learn from it and do the best next time. Karma-Yoga is Karma performed without being "doer-enjoyer".Next question is:Should i do the jobs I receive as lord's will or should I go ahead and choose the jobs where I have done a lot of research."Again, if your karmas are guided by Dharma all the time, you will get guidance to choose those jobs which you should and love to do, and contribute positively along with making a living for family.When you do so, it is really God that is doing it to accomplish what He wants to do it(greater good) while taking care of the instrument-you. BG 9:22, "yoga ksemam vahamyaham"..Namaskar....Pratap Bhatt

In these hard times jobs are scarce. However you should do a job which gives you satisfaction. So you should take up the job offered while looking for the job of your choice. Glad to know that reading the Gita has given you peace and clarity.

Hari Shanker Deo

---

aaaaa h !.........Krishna is sarvam...........Krishna is Existence, .....Krishna is the self seated in the hearts of all beings....

when the quest is Krishna, questions arise in krishna's breast ......

and,to the questions, Krishna Himself , one day, some day, comes as the the answer ............

no doubt ....... Vasudevaye sarvam............. Krishna is all ..........

But

the eternal paradox of action and destiny confuses the self

this , then, is your present predicament, krishna .................ah !

and the answer to the question ..............how indeed does one resolve the conflict between Action and Destiny ?

A practical approach to adopt as 'understanding ' for a day to day Living would be :

At any point of time, consider all that you may have gone through in life as Destiny,or the Writ of Vasudeva; and whatever Existence presents as the situation in This Moment Now, is the situation for your action. Is for you to choose.

This would enable you to ' de-involve ' from your past ( regrets, guilt etc ) , and hence tackle the situation of the Moment more objectively. And no sooner is your action of the Moment over, the ' Now ' has also slipped into the Past ! And the past ? it was all ordained... it was destined....... was your Destiny !

And so..... your action... your doing was ..... is.... only an illusion....

Also, some day, this will enable you to move into the ultimate wisdom that All that happens is the Existence's doing... Existence's writ.... and, you, as an integral part of the Existence only carry out Existence's writ. You are not other than Existence ! Thus are you freed from 'Doing', and move into 'not-doing '.... wherein all just happens, as it must .All doubts drop. Krishna smiles ......... so does krishna ...........!

As long as the Jiva is in duality, The paradox between Action and Destiny can never be resolved ! Only, when duality comes to an end, when the Self is realised as 'One-ness ; is the paradox resolved in the understanding that the two( action and destiny ) are also One, separated only by Time, which is only a Mental construct ; Time is a ‘myth’ and has no reality really !

Till then, The above is a practical resolution of Action and Destiny .

the spiritual Path is the way........ the bhagvada geetha shows us the way............ walking the way is our own choice !

and, blessed are you, krishna.................you are walking the Path.......................

AUM

narinder bhandari

======================================GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -FOR QUESTIONER1. The questions as far as possible must be relevant to Gita, relevant toDharma, relavant to other scriptures and relevant to motivate Sadhaks to take upspiritual path2. The Questioner must commit to daily Gita study3. Only one question at a time.4. Question must be brief, to the point and relevant to the group's primary aimof deeper understanding of Gita.GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES for RESPONDER: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible.3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to the extent that theyfurther help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limitthe use to Sanskrit words and provide English word bracketed.GITA TALK MODERATORSRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -