IndiaDivine.org

Whose Mantra Should I Chant? I am Confused

Rate this topic

Guest guest

pranaam,I have a query that whose mantra should I chant-- the one given by my guruji or- the mantra of the deity whom I worship from my chilhood. Whenever I closemy eyes for meditation or chanting only mantra that comes to mind is "Om NamahShivay" but because I have read in many books that only guru mantra should bechanted,I am confused.What should I do?Vineeta Ujlan-----------

NEW POSTING

Dear Sadhak ( Vineeta )

Ram Ram and Saprem Harismaran !

As I understood from Pujya Shri Swamiji (Shri Ramsukhdasji Maharaj) that

No need of any Guru -Mantra but as you have taken Mantra from Gurudeva

so you chant that for one MALA ( 108 times ) everyday and continuous chanting

may be of OM NAMAH SHIVAY .

After all our own is Lord Krishna/Ram/Shiva/Ganesha and so on.(Gitaji Chapt.15/Sloka 7).

We know Shri Krishnam Vande Jagadgurum.

Let us always pray to God to remove our confusion as

Arjuna prayed to Lord Krishna ( Shri Gitaji Chapt.2/Sloka 7).

regards

a fellow satsangi

Madhusudan Bajoria

--------------

shree hari:

ram ram.

please go 'within' unfailingly you shall hear (in very soft voice) voice of the Almighty (none is more well wisher to you than this voice) and do as directed by the voice. God said in Gita Chapter 18 Verse 61, "God resides in each and every heart of all beings ...." and get the most valuable words for your guidance in all situations.

vineet,

sarvottam.

Hari OmVineetaji ! Lucky, Lucky, Lucky you are !! Something arising from within is ULTIMATE ! Your 'Conscience' is your 'REAL' Guru ! Whatever arises from WITHIN is Divine !! No doubt on the same. Forget every other talk. OM NAMAH SHIVAAY OM NAMAH SHIVAAY ... OM NAMAH SHIVAAY OM NAMAH SHIVAAY !!Matter ends. Concentrate on only OM NAMAH SHIVAAY !!Oh ! What a beautiful mantra is : Om Namah Shivaay ! Pranaams !Jai Shree KrishnaVyas N B ----------------------

Hari Om. Shree Hari.You wrote: Whenever I close my eyes for meditation or chanting only mantra that comes to mind is "Om Namah Shivay" Give up the confusion and chant "Om Namah Shivay".You know the answer.

Gaurav MittalRam Ram

-------------------------

While each Mantra including the one given by the Guru could have its own significance, it is important to understand why we use these mantras for chanting primarily.

Word or words could be anything. Mantras are chanted for only one important reason and that is to free your mind of all clutter....unwanted thoughts....and create a complete silence....within. It is a kind of work for our clever mind to make it busy and feel the silence and peace. Once it gets the taste, then it is able to reach thoughtless state even without any mantra.

So,it is suggested that you use whatever works for you (your mind) to reach the all important silence/thoughtless state/your true self and be there.....longer and longer to harness the power of silence. best wishes..

Sushil Jain

------------------------------

If you believe in the Upanishad and Krishna's teaching in Gita, you have noreason to be confused. All mantras are for worshiping the God, Almighty.Whether you offer prayers or worship Guru, Shiva, Bishnu or other deities orconcepts or just say Om or Aum, all travels to the same God, the creator ofall gods and everything else in the creation.You can chant the mantra given by Guruji. You can also chant Om Namah Shivay separetly every day. There is noconflict in this.I assume that Guruji has not specifically told you not to chant othermantras.In case he has, you must consult other Gurus as well. Because in Hinduismthe ultimate God has different forms and names. You can worship any one ofthem, more than one of them and all of them so long as you know you areworhsipping the God Almighty, the Paramatma, the Brahman, the Creator, thesources of all. He is bout one but appears in various forms. He is beyondall names and exist in all names. He accepts all worship offered to any ofhis form if you worship with intense Bhakti. Basudeb Sen

--------------------------------

Dear Sadhakas,Hare Krishna. This is in response to a question from a Sadhaka. The supreme Personality of Godhead is Lord Krishna. Our goal in the end is to attain Him. Lord Krishna delivered us the Holy Book, the sacred Scripture, the Bhagavad Gita. Lord Krishna says in Gitaji,"Yajnanam japa yajno smi. "( Gitaji, 10, 25. )Which means,' Of sacrifices I am the chanting of the Holy Names (Japa)'. The most practical and relevant for this Kali Yuga is to chant the Hare krishna Maha Mantra which is" Hare Krishna Hare Krishna,Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,Hare Rama Hare Rama,Rama Rama Hare Hare. "This is known as the greatest mantra, since it contains the potency of all other spiritual sounds. Chanting of this MahaMantra is the most popular,practical and effective form of Kirtana. Vedic scriptures authorize Hari Kirtana which means glorification of Krishna. ' Om Namo Narayanaya ', the Ashtaakshari Mantra is also an effective way of chanting. Let us chant the Holy Names of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, that deliver us from this material bondage, and take us back to His Kingdom. Thank You. Hare Krishna. Prasad.A.Iragavarapu. M.D----------------------

What Mantra Should I Chant?

Meditation is a technique to get out of the identities hoarded within that constrains the individual to one's assumed emotions and perceived relations so that one can experience what THE SILENCE that is beyond all identities would really mean. Most meditations are trifold - Dhyaana, DhaaraNaa, and Nidhidhyaasa.

Typically, all our identities are rooted in our senses - external as well as internal. An individual is fragmented amongst many senses. Therefore, a meditation is normally prescribed based on one's nature to emphasize on one's dominant sense to start with so that all other senses become silent first. A single person may change his emphasis on one's senses and hence should choose a way that is appropriate for the situation, condition and circumstances. The individual becomes one with the sense chosen (Dhyaana).

Once one sense remains, it is further fragmented many images of its own. Again, the individual is fragmented amongst the images as such. An external image is borrowed to project all the images hoarded within so that the sense becomes completely empty except for the borrowed image. The individual becomes conjoined with the image borrowed (DhaaraNaa).

Still there remain two images - subject (the individual contemplating upon the external image) and object (the external image that is being contemplated upon). The indivudal is still torn between two entities or images and continues to experience the duality that can grow back into multitude of fractional existence at any point. The next step is to project oneself (subject) onto the object to become one with the object (Nidhidhyaasa). In the absence of the subject the object also disappears naturally enabling the individual to attain the ABSOLUTE SILENCE within which everything perceived, experienced and acted upon are absorbed completely.

Chanting is an excellent medium of meditation as the speech retains a special quality unlike other senses. Speech is an outgoing medium while most other senses are incoming media. Focusing on chanting helps naturally block all other senses and hence all the incoming images altogether. The outgoing medium naturally helps the individual to vomit all the identities hoarded within effectively. As the images are purged out completely, only sound and the subject remain. As the lone subject merges with the sound of the chant, the speech is naturally withdrawn completely leaving a mere sound of silence within establishing the meditator in THE SILENCE beyond.

What to chant? Whatever makes you ignore all other senses altogether. Even "a-squared plus b-squared is c-squared" works if it wields such an influence on you. Even a mere sound such as OM is enough. If you are capable of silencing yourself completely with any sound, it is OK ... if you can attain that directly with no aid, so be it.

Should we chant the same always? I do not see its necessity. Whatever works at that time is the best. Any chant that works … any other activity that works … is good enough as far as it enables you to attain THE SILENCE.

How often should we do this? As Swamy Chinmayaananda used to say, JUST 24 HOURS A DAY! The Saadhan (instrument or path or practice) is to enable an inexperienced person to experience the wonder of THE SILENCE within and around … to kindle the light of awareness within. NONE OF THEM ARE DESIGNED OR INTENDED TO BE DEPENDENT UPON FOREVER. Unless we draw from the experience the essence of awareness into us naturally, the 24-hour program can never be realized.

As Swamy Ramsukhdasji keeps warning, even Samadhi or Nidhidhyaasa is enabled through the inert instrument of body and mind and hence can never be eternal on their own; and, therefore are limited by the inertia and ignorance that are natural to them. The seeker is forced to exit these modes of inertial existence and ignorant superposition of silence upon oneself - just like one cannot sleep forever. The only way of attaining ABSOLUTE SILENCE is to draw the essence of the experience - void of ownership (Mine-ness) and identity (I-ness) - into the awareness and absorb the same at our very core irrespective of the activities we are engaged in. When the individual is naturally absorbed in THE SILENCE that is ever-present even amongst the apparent chaotic and noisy life of ours, THE SILENCE is bloomed completely in the seeker and the seeker is dissolved completely in THE SELF that is THE SILENCE.

Therefore, my suggestion is … do not worry what you are chanting … but, do chant the way you should … to attain silence within.

Respects.

Naga Narayana

--------------------

Dear Vineeta Ujlan

There is nothing to be confused generally mantra are given by their Gurus that is why it is called 'Guru mantra.Decision of mantra depends upon your belief in some main deity.If you believe in Lord Shiva then " Om Namasha Sivaya "is a main mantra.If you are Vaishanav then mantra will be'. Om Namo Bhagvate Vasudevaya Namaha" For specific question please write to me

Truly yours

Shankerprasad S Bhatt M.Com

----------------------

Dear Sadhakas, Namaskar,Mantras are chanted for the concentration of your mind on the subject of the mantra, remove all worldly thoughts, a sort of meditation. The mantra should be chanted loudly and in rytham. Chanting of any mantra, a number of times, will give a good breathing exercise, more of carbon-di-oxide will be exhaled from the air sacs of your lungs, allow more oxygen to go into your blood, give good exercise to several muscles thereby drive off carbon-di-oxide from the cells and absorb more oxygen from the blood.You can choose any mantra, but the mantra with deep effect on your blood circulation will be more effective. Normally Gayatri Mantra is most effective.It is the physical exercise, while chanting the mantra, and the amount of concentration are important. From my perspective, there is nothing spiritual abount any mantra....Gee Waman

Vineet jee,

the answer is simple..................... if once you have acknowledged someone as your Guru, you must obey him....................... and if you have a doubt, you should ask only your Guru for its samadhan.

Narinder, shall however, just mention the following for deeper understanding about the Mantra. The Mantra is the ' word/ words' that is the means of taking your mind into the experience of the unchanging Silence, from which all words flow. The Mantra is only a 'means', AND NOT AN END IN ITSELF. The Power of the Mantra flows from the authority vested in the Guru, as well as the sound of the mantra , while chanting.

narinder is reminded of the enlightened motivation talk given to a vast audience of seekers, by my Guru ( then, not yet recognised by me as a guru ! ) .......................

speaking about Meditation , he said , " The mantra given to an individual, to you , should be silently chanted , as if its resonance is ringing in your ears . Whenever, you become aware that the mind has slipped into thoughts , the mantra is lost, bring the Mantra consciously again into your awareness.

After many months of meditatating ( a doing ), one day, some day, you shall become aware that the music of the Mantra is ringing in your ears by itself .................

Also, it may happen, that you find that the Mantra given to you by the Guru, has changed by itself .................

The new Mantra is the True Mantra, given to you by the Satguru, residing in the cavity of your heart . This Mantra shall become your ' naam ' "

What narinder has written above, are words of the Guru recalled . The Satguru's words always are True. The Grace of the Guru moves you into 'experiencing' of the Truth of the words .

One day the word and silence become not-two in experience . In that Moment, is the self come to be known by the self . The self ( ego-self) and the Satguru are united . They merge.

All doubts die, they dissolve, they disappear .

What , narinder has written above , are also words .................. he prays that they lead you into experiencing the great Silence that itself is the womb of creation . The Experiencing is beyond words ...................... it is 'intelligence' arising in the self , for the joy of the self .

AUM

narinder bhandari

--

Hullo madam, You are lucky to have a guru.Guru is nothing but god personified.Have faith in guru manthra and chant incessantly.The manthra given by guru has great power.because it has been chanted and got siddhi.Having faith in guru is the first step to spirituality.Dont doubt guru manthra.No word is greater than guru manthra

Badri Narayana Miriyala

Dear Vineeta Ujlan,

I do not know where from you have been initiated, but one point I am sure that once you have got your "Deeksha mantra" none but your Guruji can only solve your problem. Please discuss with Guruji in private, as there is no scope of any public discussion in the matter.My humble suggestion is Deeksha mantra is "the" (I repeat "the") mantra for you. You can try postures according to your own, but please do not change any instruction given by Guruji who is none but your "Param Brahma" and take it with all seriousness.

best regards, Barin Chatterjee

OMManah trayate iti mantrah.The main purpose of mantra is to control & bring back the irresistablywandering mind to stability. Mind never sleeps from birth to death.So use any mantra that can achieve this aim. Ask why stability isrequired of mind. To know your self.Chant any mantra that takes you to the goal.OM

Bhuvangiri Badri Kishore

-----

My friend ,

If by chanting you mean uttering one of these: Om Nanmo Naaraayanaaya, Om Namah Sivaayah, Om namo bhagavate Vaasudevaaya and such others I woud say it does not make any difference as it is useless. What exactly you understand by Siva, Naaraayana or Vaasudeva. Without knowing the meaning your chanting is as silly as a casette (tape) on which these Mantras are recorded. Does the casette get any benefit?

Rather, learn what Naaraayana means, Know Naaraayana not as the one who lives in Vaikuntha, whose wife is Lakshmi, etc. Know Siva as Bliss and not as the phallic (linga) who wears a leather etc. Unfortunately Gurus of the day do not impress their students withthis recognition but are encouraging superstition and Moodha Bhakti. Instead of chanting mechanically Mantras like this, try to find Narayana or Siva in each being around you. do not do to others what if done to you would cause pain to you. That is sure way to get Bliss, the essence of Pancha Akshari or Ashta Akshari.

Samudrala Krishna

----------------------

Any mantra that helps you to meditate is good enough.

Hari Shanker Deo=====================================GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -FOR QUESTIONER1. The questions as far as possible must be relevant to Gita, relevant toDharma, relavant to other scriptures and relevant to motivate Sadhaks to take upspiritual path2. The Questioner must commit to daily Gita study3. Only one question at a time.4. Question must be brief, to the point and relevant to the group's primary aimof deeper understanding of Gita.GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES for RESPONDER: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible.3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to the extent that theyfurther help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limitthe use to Sanskrit words and provide English word bracketed.MODERATORRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -

pranaam,I have a query that whose mantra should I chant-- the one given by my guruji or- the mantra of the deity whom I worship from my chilhood. Whenever I closemy eyes for meditation or chanting only mantra that comes to mind is "Om NamahShivay" but because I have read in many books that only guru mantra should bechanted,I am confused.What should I do?Vineeta Ujlan-----------

NEW POSTING

Jai Shree Krishna

Vineetaji ! Rely only on your conscience ! There is no provision for Guru made in interfering with relationship of Jeeva with God. No mediators have been appointed in this regard. There are licenceholders of God existing in this world. SIMPLY follow the dictates of your conscience and start NAAM JAPA ! Lag Jaao !! HOHI RAAM KO NAAM JAPI, TULSI TAJI KUSAMAAJ. Become of God and chant OM NAMAH SHIVAAY ! Renounce bad company.

May God bless you.

Swami Rupesh Kumar

----------------

Dear Sadaks,Guru initiates certain mantra to beginners of sadana. But one who knows Om Nama Shivaya OR Om Namo Narayanaya has assended to level of being SELF.B.Sathyanarayan

--------------

Hari OmSwamiji once said:Those who make chellas (Disciples, in other words become Gurus) , they are doing a big crime - they cannot fulfill the expectation of disciple (of emancipation/kalyaan) but they hold him (do not let disciple go else where)!Jai Shree KrishnaVyas N B----------------

If we want power in to our house we have to get connected to a transformer and a series of substations and ultimately to power grid. No direct connection to power grid. Like wise we have to get connected to god via guru parampara.Guru knows the voltage required to makeyou functional. 230 V is the required voltage to get our electric devices functional.Like wise the guru manthra is the frenquency to which your mind gets tuned.By uttering the guru mantra you are tuned to your guru and sadhana gets started and remaining is not in your hands guru will look after every thing including your yoga and kshema.Faith is the guru dakshina you pay to him. Not dollars or gold.As a student of physics I can say that the phenomenon of resonance occurrs the moment the frequency of you and your guru are onethank youBadri Narayana Miriyala

-------------------

To Mr,VYAS NB

Sir shouldn't chanting OM is enough then chanting the whole mantra ?

RAHUL

------------

PRIOR POSTING

Dear Sadhak ( Vineeta )

Ram Ram and Saprem Harismaran !

As I understood from Pujya Shri Swamiji (Shri Ramsukhdasji Maharaj) that

No need of any Guru -Mantra but as you have taken Mantra from Gurudeva

so you chant that for one MALA ( 108 times ) everyday and continuous chanting

may be of OM NAMAH SHIVAY .

After all our own is Lord Krishna/Ram/Shiva/Ganesha and so on.(Gitaji Chapt.15/Sloka 7).

We know Shri Krishnam Vande Jagadgurum.

Let us always pray to God to remove our confusion as

Arjuna prayed to Lord Krishna ( Shri Gitaji Chapt.2/Sloka 7).

regards

a fellow satsangi

Madhusudan Bajoria

--------------

shree hari:

ram ram.

please go 'within' unfailingly you shall hear (in very soft voice) voice of the Almighty (none is more well wisher to you than this voice) and do as directed by the voice. God said in Gita Chapter 18 Verse 61, "God resides in each and every heart of all beings ...." and get the most valuable words for your guidance in all situations.

vineet,

sarvottam.

Hari OmVineetaji ! Lucky, Lucky, Lucky you are !! Something arising from within is ULTIMATE ! Your 'Conscience' is your 'REAL' Guru ! Whatever arises from WITHIN is Divine !! No doubt on the same. Forget every other talk. OM NAMAH SHIVAAY OM NAMAH SHIVAAY ... OM NAMAH SHIVAAY OM NAMAH SHIVAAY !!Matter ends. Concentrate on only OM NAMAH SHIVAAY !!Oh ! What a beautiful mantra is : Om Namah Shivaay ! Pranaams !Jai Shree KrishnaVyas N B ----------------------

Hari Om. Shree Hari.You wrote: Whenever I close my eyes for meditation or chanting only mantra that comes to mind is "Om Namah Shivay" Give up the confusion and chant "Om Namah Shivay".You know the answer.

Gaurav MittalRam Ram

-------------------------

While each Mantra including the one given by the Guru could have its own significance, it is important to understand why we use these mantras for chanting primarily.

Word or words could be anything. Mantras are chanted for only one important reason and that is to free your mind of all clutter....unwanted thoughts....and create a complete silence....within. It is a kind of work for our clever mind to make it busy and feel the silence and peace. Once it gets the taste, then it is able to reach thoughtless state even without any mantra.

So,it is suggested that you use whatever works for you (your mind) to reach the all important silence/thoughtless state/your true self and be there.....longer and longer to harness the power of silence. best wishes..

Sushil Jain

------------------------------

If you believe in the Upanishad and Krishna's teaching in Gita, you have noreason to be confused. All mantras are for worshiping the God, Almighty.Whether you offer prayers or worship Guru, Shiva, Bishnu or other deities orconcepts or just say Om or Aum, all travels to the same God, the creator ofall gods and everything else in the creation.You can chant the mantra given by Guruji. You can also chant Om Namah Shivay separetly every day. There is noconflict in this.I assume that Guruji has not specifically told you not to chant othermantras.In case he has, you must consult other Gurus as well. Because in Hinduismthe ultimate God has different forms and names. You can worship any one ofthem, more than one of them and all of them so long as you know you areworhsipping the God Almighty, the Paramatma, the Brahman, the Creator, thesources of all. He is bout one but appears in various forms. He is beyondall names and exist in all names. He accepts all worship offered to any ofhis form if you worship with intense Bhakti. Basudeb Sen

Dear Sadhakas,Hare Krishna. This is in response to a question from a Sadhaka. The supreme Personality of Godhead is Lord Krishna. Our goal in the end is to attain Him. Lord Krishna delivered us the Holy Book, the sacred Scripture, the Bhagavad Gita. Lord Krishna says in Gitaji,"Yajnanam japa yajno smi. "( Gitaji, 10, 25. )Which means,' Of sacrifices I am the chanting of the Holy Names (Japa)'. The most practical and relevant for this Kali Yuga is to chant the Hare krishna Maha Mantra which is" Hare Krishna Hare Krishna,Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,Hare Rama Hare Rama,Rama Rama Hare Hare. "This is known as the greatest mantra, since it contains the potency of all other spiritual sounds. Chanting of this MahaMantra is the most popular,practical and effective form of Kirtana. Vedic scriptures authorize Hari Kirtana which means glorification of Krishna. ' Om Namo Narayanaya ', the Ashtaakshari Mantra is also an effective way of chanting. Let us chant the Holy Names of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, that deliver us from this material bondage, and take us back to His Kingdom. Thank You. Hare Krishna. Prasad.A.Iragavarapu. M.D----------------------

What Mantra Should I Chant?

Meditation is a technique to get out of the identities hoarded within that constrains the individual to one's assumed emotions and perceived relations so that one can experience what THE SILENCE that is beyond all identities would really mean. Most meditations are trifold - Dhyaana, DhaaraNaa, and Nidhidhyaasa.

Typically, all our identities are rooted in our senses - external as well as internal. An individual is fragmented amongst many senses. Therefore, a meditation is normally prescribed based on one's nature to emphasize on one's dominant sense to start with so that all other senses become silent first. A single person may change his emphasis on one's senses and hence should choose a way that is appropriate for the situation, condition and circumstances. The individual becomes one with the sense chosen (Dhyaana).

Once one sense remains, it is further fragmented many images of its own. Again, the individual is fragmented amongst the images as such. An external image is borrowed to project all the images hoarded within so that the sense becomes completely empty except for the borrowed image. The individual becomes conjoined with the image borrowed (DhaaraNaa).

Still there remain two images - subject (the individual contemplating upon the external image) and object (the external image that is being contemplated upon). The indivudal is still torn between two entities or images and continues to experience the duality that can grow back into multitude of fractional existence at any point. The next step is to project oneself (subject) onto the object to become one with the object (Nidhidhyaasa). In the absence of the subject the object also disappears naturally enabling the individual to attain the ABSOLUTE SILENCE within which everything perceived, experienced and acted upon are absorbed completely.

Chanting is an excellent medium of meditation as the speech retains a special quality unlike other senses. Speech is an outgoing medium while most other senses are incoming media. Focusing on chanting helps naturally block all other senses and hence all the incoming images altogether. The outgoing medium naturally helps the individual to vomit all the identities hoarded within effectively. As the images are purged out completely, only sound and the subject remain. As the lone subject merges with the sound of the chant, the speech is naturally withdrawn completely leaving a mere sound of silence within establishing the meditator in THE SILENCE beyond.

What to chant? Whatever makes you ignore all other senses altogether. Even "a-squared plus b-squared is c-squared" works if it wields such an influence on you. Even a mere sound such as OM is enough. If you are capable of silencing yourself completely with any sound, it is OK ... if you can attain that directly with no aid, so be it.

Should we chant the same always? I do not see its necessity. Whatever works at that time is the best. Any chant that works … any other activity that works … is good enough as far as it enables you to attain THE SILENCE.

How often should we do this? As Swamy Chinmayaananda used to say, JUST 24 HOURS A DAY! The Saadhan (instrument or path or practice) is to enable an inexperienced person to experience the wonder of THE SILENCE within and around … to kindle the light of awareness within. NONE OF THEM ARE DESIGNED OR INTENDED TO BE DEPENDENT UPON FOREVER. Unless we draw from the experience the essence of awareness into us naturally, the 24-hour program can never be realized.

As Swamy Ramsukhdasji keeps warning, even Samadhi or Nidhidhyaasa is enabled through the inert instrument of body and mind and hence can never be eternal on their own; and, therefore are limited by the inertia and ignorance that are natural to them. The seeker is forced to exit these modes of inertial existence and ignorant superposition of silence upon oneself - just like one cannot sleep forever. The only way of attaining ABSOLUTE SILENCE is to draw the essence of the experience - void of ownership (Mine-ness) and identity (I-ness) - into the awareness and absorb the same at our very core irrespective of the activities we are engaged in. When the individual is naturally absorbed in THE SILENCE that is ever-present even amongst the apparent chaotic and noisy life of ours, THE SILENCE is bloomed completely in the seeker and the seeker is dissolved completely in THE SELF that is THE SILENCE.

Therefore, my suggestion is … do not worry what you are chanting … but, do chant the way you should … to attain silence within.

Respects.

Naga Narayana

--------------------

Dear Vineeta Ujlan

There is nothing to be confused generally mantra are given by their Gurus that is why it is called 'Guru mantra.Decision of mantra depends upon your belief in some main deity.If you believe in Lord Shiva then " Om Namasha Sivaya "is a main mantra.If you are Vaishanav then mantra will be'. Om Namo Bhagvate Vasudevaya Namaha" For specific question please write to me

Truly yours

Shankerprasad S Bhatt M.Com

----------------------

Dear Sadhakas, Namaskar,Mantras are chanted for the concentration of your mind on the subject of the mantra, remove all worldly thoughts, a sort of meditation. The mantra should be chanted loudly and in rytham. Chanting of any mantra, a number of times, will give a good breathing exercise, more of carbon-di-oxide will be exhaled from the air sacs of your lungs, allow more oxygen to go into your blood, give good exercise to several muscles thereby drive off carbon-di-oxide from the cells and absorb more oxygen from the blood.You can choose any mantra, but the mantra with deep effect on your blood circulation will be more effective. Normally Gayatri Mantra is most effective.It is the physical exercise, while chanting the mantra, and the amount of concentration are important. From my perspective, there is nothing spiritual abount any mantra....Gee Waman

Vineet jee,

the answer is simple..................... if once you have acknowledged someone as your Guru, you must obey him....................... and if you have a doubt, you should ask only your Guru for its samadhan.

Narinder, shall however, just mention the following for deeper understanding about the Mantra. The Mantra is the ' word/ words' that is the means of taking your mind into the experience of the unchanging Silence, from which all words flow. The Mantra is only a 'means', AND NOT AN END IN ITSELF. The Power of the Mantra flows from the authority vested in the Guru, as well as the sound of the mantra , while chanting.

narinder is reminded of the enlightened motivation talk given to a vast audience of seekers, by my Guru ( then, not yet recognised by me as a guru ! ) .......................

speaking about Meditation , he said , " The mantra given to an individual, to you , should be silently chanted , as if its resonance is ringing in your ears . Whenever, you become aware that the mind has slipped into thoughts , the mantra is lost, bring the Mantra consciously again into your awareness.

After many months of meditatating ( a doing ), one day, some day, you shall become aware that the music of the Mantra is ringing in your ears by itself .................

Also, it may happen, that you find that the Mantra given to you by the Guru, has changed by itself .................

The new Mantra is the True Mantra, given to you by the Satguru, residing in the cavity of your heart . This Mantra shall become your ' naam ' "

What narinder has written above, are words of the Guru recalled . The Satguru's words always are True. The Grace of the Guru moves you into 'experiencing' of the Truth of the words .

One day the word and silence become not-two in experience . In that Moment, is the self come to be known by the self . The self ( ego-self) and the Satguru are united . They merge.

All doubts die, they dissolve, they disappear .

What , narinder has written above , are also words .................. he prays that they lead you into experiencing the great Silence that itself is the womb of creation . The Experiencing is beyond words ...................... it is 'intelligence' arising in the self , for the joy of the self .

AUM

narinder bhandari

--

Hullo madam, You are lucky to have a guru.Guru is nothing but god personified.Have faith in guru manthra and chant incessantly.The manthra given by guru has great power.because it has been chanted and got siddhi.Having faith in guru is the first step to spirituality.Dont doubt guru manthra.No word is greater than guru manthra

Badri Narayana Miriyala

Dear Vineeta Ujlan,

I do not know where from you have been initiated, but one point I am sure that once you have got your "Deeksha mantra" none but your Guruji can only solve your problem. Please discuss with Guruji in private, as there is no scope of any public discussion in the matter.My humble suggestion is Deeksha mantra is "the" (I repeat "the") mantra for you. You can try postures according to your own, but please do not change any instruction given by Guruji who is none but your "Param Brahma" and take it with all seriousness.

best regards, Barin Chatterjee

OMManah trayate iti mantrah.The main purpose of mantra is to control & bring back the irresistablywandering mind to stability. Mind never sleeps from birth to death.So use any mantra that can achieve this aim. Ask why stability isrequired of mind. To know your self.Chant any mantra that takes you to the goal.OM

Bhuvangiri Badri Kishore

-----

My friend ,

If by chanting you mean uttering one of these: Om Nanmo Naaraayanaaya, Om Namah Sivaayah, Om namo bhagavate Vaasudevaaya and such others I woud say it does not make any difference as it is useless. What exactly you understand by Siva, Naaraayana or Vaasudeva. Without knowing the meaning your chanting is as silly as a casette (tape) on which these Mantras are recorded. Does the casette get any benefit?

Rather, learn what Naaraayana means, Know Naaraayana not as the one who lives in Vaikuntha, whose wife is Lakshmi, etc. Know Siva as Bliss and not as the phallic (linga) who wears a leather etc. Unfortunately Gurus of the day do not impress their students withthis recognition but are encouraging superstition and Moodha Bhakti. Instead of chanting mechanically Mantras like this, try to find Narayana or Siva in each being around you. do not do to others what if done to you would cause pain to you. That is sure way to get Bliss, the essence of Pancha Akshari or Ashta Akshari.

Samudrala Krishna

----------------------

Any mantra that helps you to meditate is good enough.

Hari Shanker Deo=====================================GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES: PLEASE -FOR QUESTIONER1. The questions as far as possible must be relevant to Gita, relevant toDharma, relavant to other scriptures and relevant to motivate Sadhaks to take upspiritual path2. The Questioner must commit to daily Gita study3. Only one question at a time.4. Question must be brief, to the point and relevant to the group's primary aimof deeper understanding of Gita.GITA TALK GROUP GUIDELINES for RESPONDER: PLEASE -1. Only responses that further clarify Gita message will be posted.2. Quote Gitaji/scriptures wherever possible.3. Limit personal feelings, opinions, beliefs etc. to the extent that theyfurther help in understanding the Gita shlokas4. Be as concise, to the point, respecting sadhaka's time.5. Focus on subject at hand only.6. Do not include links to the other sites; personal information (Ph #, addressetc) or personalize message to particular person7. All responses may not be posted and moderator at his discretion, may modifythe posting.8. Please keep in mind novices, youth, westerners, non-sectarian audience. Limitthe use to Sanskrit words and provide English word bracketed.MODERATORRam Ram------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------Post message: Subscribe: - Unsubscribe: -