IndiaDivine.org

How do we know we have taken sharanagati ? Your thoughts !

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Shree Hari Ram Ram

Sadhaks, please share your thoughts / understanding of Swamiji's message on "sharanagati" (taking refuge in God, surrendering to God), how does one know that they are sharanagat ? Gita Talk Moderators, Ram Ram

----

Yes, When one knows, one knows that one knows.

All questions drop because the inner division is no longer there.

Y V Chawla

-----

Fellow learners,

Saranaagati (moving towards sarana) is not an external dress worn and be aware that you have worn it; nor is it a perfume you splash on your body so that all around you can smell it. Sarnaagati is an internal or Antarpurusha's activity. It really means and needs a syzygy of the three entities Atma, Buddhi and Mana. When these three are colinear or in a straight libe or in synery, nothing but Parama Atma is visible. He can not differentiate between any two objects like a snake and a rope; oneself and another. In Saranagati state one sees IT everywhere and sees It alone anywhere.

Sarva Bhootastham Atmaanam, sarva Bhootaani ca Atmani, eekshate yoga yukta atma, sarvatra sama darsinah (6.29)

This is total surrender to IT or Sarna Gati. IT is not the same as knowing that you ae married after your marrige (you meant wedding, I suppose), AS the triple of ATma, Buddhi and Mana soak in Sarana Gati spirit (technically it is tincture), Atma becomes Brahma Bhoota Prasanna Atma (Atma that has realized Para Brahma in Its true identity). In this state

Brahma bhoota prasanna atma na socati, na kaangshati, SAMAH SARVESHU BHOOTESHU mat bhaktim labhate paraam 18.54

No one becomes Bhakta till he/she/it develops the attitude of no worry, nodesire and SAMAM SARVA BHOOTESHU. This is the most important thing. As long as one distinguishes beings by caste as brahmin, etc. he can not be a hakta and not an entry for Sarana Gati. This has been made earlier very clear

Mat karma krut mat paramo mat bhaktah sangavarjitah, nih vairah sarva bhooteshu yah sa maam eti paandava. 11.55

In this terminal Sloka of Visva roopa sandarsana, Lord has defined Bhakta as one who does every thing for the Lord, detached and enemy to no species in the creation. 11.54 tells us that that state is reached only when Samah sarveshu bhooteshu which is equivalent to Brahma bhoota Prasanna Atma which is equal to Saranagata. One feels the spirit of Sarana gati with in. Nobody need tell him.

Samudrala Krishna

========================================

|| Shree Hari ||

Ram Ram

19th November, 2009, Thursday, Marghshirsh Shukla Tritiya

Question: Sharanagati - How do we know we have taken sharanagati (surrendered, taken refuge in God)?

Answer: Govind Gopal ki Jai ! When married, how do you know you are married? When we have taken refuge in God, now we know that we have a master. You know that we are no longer without a father, without a master, without a Lord. The Lord is my master. Worries come to an end. Fear, doubts, regrets, all come to an end. Initially it may not come naturally. It will be like the engagement period. First it will be that I belong to God (Mein Bhagwaan kaa hoon). Next, I belong to no one else. Only Prabhu (God) is mine. Just like an adopted child feels now I have a father and mother. It is as if your little girl who is recently married and before she leaves for her new home she is seen fooling around, joking, teasing at home, then even family members say – "Young lady what are you doing? You are now married!" Just like when you become a sadhu (ascetic), then people will tell you, what happened to you? You are a sadhu, it is not like a sadhu to want to watch movies, shows etc.

Only God is mine. No one else is mine. "Nashto moha smriti labdhvaa" - I now recollect! It is not that you have become something new. You were already that, you had simply forgotten. It is only "sweekriti" (acceptance). After this all spiritual disciplines happen naturally. When it happens naturally and automatically then no mistakes can occur. Even in your sleep you will be alert. A girl that is married will start to behave like a married woman, doing husband's work like other married women. "Bigadi janam anek ki, sudhare ab hi aaj. Hoyi Ram ko naam japo, tulsi taji kusumaar." I am God's and God is mine. This acceptance "sweekriti" is very powerful. I am now a satsangi (one who engages in association with Truth and holy company). I am not an ordinary person. Now I will not lie. Now I will not do evil things. Now I will not take anything from anyone. Sacrifice or giving up, "Tyaag" has many glories. From now onwards I do not want to do these things. I do not want to become worldly anymore.

If there is no acceptance "sweekriti" from within, then in spite of doing satsang for years, there is no relationship with our sadhya (aim, God). Giving up attachments, and being free of desires is a pure form of sacrifice. (Aasakhti kaa tyaag satvik tyaag hai). "Kaaryam itiye" It is our duty. Then there is no relation with the action (karma), rather it is seen as duty "kartavya" i.e. the work which has to be done. When it is seen as duty "kartavya" then you are not tainted (nirlipt) by that action (karma). Therefore doing mala (holy beads), chanting God's name, doing meditation etc. all become duty (kartavya). Duty is that which we have to do, regardless. Just like eating a meal we have to do to support this life. When given medicines, we ask the doctor how many days will I have to take this medicine? However for lunch (bhojan) we do not ask how long will I have to continue to have lunch? It is support of this life. Similarly satsang (association with truth) is support of this life.

When selling in your store, you don't remember all customers, you ultimately remember how much money came in that day, similarly, our relation is with Bhagwaan, when all work is done for making Bhagwaan happy, i.e. His work. When food is made for Bhagwaan, when you bathe for Bhagwaan, when you exercise for Bhagwaan, when you take care of family for Bhagwaan, when you go to office for Bhagwaan, then relation will remain with Bhagwaan alone. I am cleaning house for Bhagwaan etc. The "panchaamrit" (Five Golden Principles) are very precious.

1) I am Bhagwaan's, (God's)

2) I am living in His kingdom,

3) I am doing His work,

4) I am receiving His Offerings,

5) I am serving His family with Offerings given by Him.

One is sewa (serving) and the other is Puja (worship). If all work is done as "worship" (puja), it will become divine. If all work is done as God's worship (pujan) then everything becomes Bhagwaan's worship (pujan), then you will gain perfection (siddhi) very quickly. Then your relationship will not be with the work, rather it will be with Bhagwaan (God). I am doing His work. Gita says, if you are making food for yourself, it is incurring sin and sin only. In Bikaner ladies say, "Today what will we cook for Thakurji (God)?" God has said some amazing things in the Gita. Therefore "na mama" "this is not for me". All this is for others, it is not for me. All work is God's work. There is not two separate departments – one being God's work and the other being our work. All work is for making Bhagwaan happy. It is a simple point. We will work only for Bhagwaan. Now the relationship is only with Bhagwaan. This is sharanagati. (partial response to question)

From discourse (partial) in Hindi on May 13, 1998 at 8:30 am by Swami Ramsukhdasji.

For ENGLISH WEBSITE please visit: http://www.swamiramsukhdasji.netFor full online discourses in Hindi: http://www.swamiramsukhdasji.org

=======================================

Shree Hari Ram Ram

Sadhaks, please share your thoughts / understanding of Swamiji's message on "sharanagati" (taking refuge in God, surrendering to God), how does one know that they are sharanagat ? Gita Talk Moderators, Ram Ram

----

NEW POSTING

Shree Hari

Ram Ram

Whether I have taken refuge (surrendered to God) or not , that exceedingly Ishvar (God) alone knows. So be it.

Vineet Sarvottam

-----

Hari OmA Devotee never surrenders to Him for getting pleasures. If he desires pleasures, he has surrendered to body not to God. By consumption (of sorrows) of what is meted out to you by fate,your debts get extinguished. If you feel jubilant when you get adversity, illness, criticism, insult etc , then understand that to be real surrender.Jai Shree KrishnaVyas N B

---

Shree Hari Ram Ram

Swamiji says -after surrendering, (taking refuge in God) , one must not test themselves (pariksha ne karna) . This includes questioning whether we have surrendered or not !!! If with a true heart we have taken refuge in God, then Swamiji says these four qualites will come naturally - nirbhay, nischint, nishank, and nishok. Free of in all fears, free of all worries, free of all doubts, free of remorse and all other flaws will not remain. Meera Das, Ram Ram

---------

When mind does not take the support of 'why and how'(psychologically) of any favourable or unfavorable situation, there is sudden touch of zero ground (sharanagati). It is instant. It can not be thought out. Here time can not enter, thought can not enter. This is the only step, if we can call it a step, which one can take. The inner division is no longer there. You are one with yourself.One begins to see the automation of the whole scheme of the Universe.Again, Truth is not a comfortable idea.Y V Chawla

-----

PRIOR POSTING

----

Yes, When one knows, one knows that one knows.

All questions drop because the inner division is no longer there.

Y V Chawla

-----

Fellow learners,

Saranaagati (moving towards sarana) is not an external dress worn and be aware that you have worn it; nor is it a perfume you splash on your body so that all around you can smell it. Sarnaagati is an internal or Antarpurusha's activity. It really means and needs a syzygy of the three entities Atma, Buddhi and Mana. When these three are colinear or in a straight libe or in synery, nothing but Parama Atma is visible. He can not differentiate between any two objects like a snake and a rope; oneself and another. In Saranagati state one sees IT everywhere and sees It alone anywhere.

Sarva Bhootastham Atmaanam, sarva Bhootaani ca Atmani, eekshate yoga yukta atma, sarvatra sama darsinah (6.29)

This is total surrender to IT or Sarna Gati. IT is not the same as knowing that you ae married after your marrige (you meant wedding, I suppose), AS the triple of ATma, Buddhi and Mana soak in Sarana Gati spirit (technically it is tincture), Atma becomes Brahma Bhoota Prasanna Atma (Atma that has realized Para Brahma in Its true identity). In this state

Brahma bhoota prasanna atma na socati, na kaangshati, SAMAH SARVESHU BHOOTESHU mat bhaktim labhate paraam 18.54

No one becomes Bhakta till he/she/it develops the attitude of no worry, nodesire and SAMAM SARVA BHOOTESHU. This is the most important thing. As long as one distinguishes beings by caste as brahmin, etc. he can not be a hakta and not an entry for Sarana Gati. This has been made earlier very clear

Mat karma krut mat paramo mat bhaktah sangavarjitah, nih vairah sarva bhooteshu yah sa maam eti paandava. 11.55

In this terminal Sloka of Visva roopa sandarsana, Lord has defined Bhakta as one who does every thing for the Lord, detached and enemy to no species in the creation. 11.54 tells us that that state is reached only when Samah sarveshu bhooteshu which is equivalent to Brahma bhoota Prasanna Atma which is equal to Saranagata. One feels the spirit of Sarana gati with in. Nobody need tell him.

Samudrala Krishna

========================================

|| Shree Hari ||

Ram Ram

19th November, 2009, Thursday, Marghshirsh Shukla Tritiya

Question: Sharanagati - How do we know we have taken sharanagati (surrendered, taken refuge in God)?

Answer: Govind Gopal ki Jai ! When married, how do you know you are married? When we have taken refuge in God, now we know that we have a master. You know that we are no longer without a father, without a master, without a Lord. The Lord is my master. Worries come to an end. Fear, doubts, regrets, all come to an end. Initially it may not come naturally. It will be like the engagement period. First it will be that I belong to God (Mein Bhagwaan kaa hoon). Next, I belong to no one else. Only Prabhu (God) is mine. Just like an adopted child feels now I have a father and mother. It is as if your little girl who is recently married and before she leaves for her new home she is seen fooling around, joking, teasing at home, then even family members say – "Young lady what are you doing? You are now married!" Just like when you become a sadhu (ascetic), then people will tell you, what happened to you? You are a sadhu, it is not like a sadhu to want to watch movies, shows etc.

Only God is mine. No one else is mine. "Nashto moha smriti labdhvaa" - I now recollect! It is not that you have become something new. You were already that, you had simply forgotten. It is only "sweekriti" (acceptance). After this all spiritual disciplines happen naturally. When it happens naturally and automatically then no mistakes can occur. Even in your sleep you will be alert. A girl that is married will start to behave like a married woman, doing husband's work like other married women. "Bigadi janam anek ki, sudhare ab hi aaj. Hoyi Ram ko naam japo, tulsi taji kusumaar." I am God's and God is mine. This acceptance "sweekriti" is very powerful. I am now a satsangi (one who engages in association with Truth and holy company). I am not an ordinary person. Now I will not lie. Now I will not do evil things. Now I will not take anything from anyone. Sacrifice or giving up, "Tyaag" has many glories. From now onwards I do not want to do these things. I do not want to become worldly anymore.

If there is no acceptance "sweekriti" from within, then in spite of doing satsang for years, there is no relationship with our sadhya (aim, God). Giving up attachments, and being free of desires is a pure form of sacrifice. (Aasakhti kaa tyaag satvik tyaag hai). "Kaaryam itiye" It is our duty. Then there is no relation with the action (karma), rather it is seen as duty "kartavya" i.e. the work which has to be done. When it is seen as duty "kartavya" then you are not tainted (nirlipt) by that action (karma). Therefore doing mala (holy beads), chanting God's name, doing meditation etc. all become duty (kartavya). Duty is that which we have to do, regardless. Just like eating a meal we have to do to support this life. When given medicines, we ask the doctor how many days will I have to take this medicine? However for lunch (bhojan) we do not ask how long will I have to continue to have lunch? It is support of this life. Similarly satsang (association with truth) is support of this life.

When selling in your store, you don't remember all customers, you ultimately remember how much money came in that day, similarly, our relation is with Bhagwaan, when all work is done for making Bhagwaan happy, i.e. His work. When food is made for Bhagwaan, when you bathe for Bhagwaan, when you exercise for Bhagwaan, when you take care of family for Bhagwaan, when you go to office for Bhagwaan, then relation will remain with Bhagwaan alone. I am cleaning house for Bhagwaan etc. The "panchaamrit" (Five Golden Principles) are very precious.

1) I am Bhagwaan's, (God's)

2) I am living in His kingdom,

3) I am doing His work,

4) I am receiving His Offerings,

5) I am serving His family with Offerings given by Him.

One is sewa (serving) and the other is Puja (worship). If all work is done as "worship" (puja), it will become divine. If all work is done as God's worship (pujan) then everything becomes Bhagwaan's worship (pujan), then you will gain perfection (siddhi) very quickly. Then your relationship will not be with the work, rather it will be with Bhagwaan (God). I am doing His work. Gita says, if you are making food for yourself, it is incurring sin and sin only. In Bikaner ladies say, "Today what will we cook for Thakurji (God)?" God has said some amazing things in the Gita. Therefore "na mama" "this is not for me". All this is for others, it is not for me. All work is God's work. There is not two separate departments – one being God's work and the other being our work. All work is for making Bhagwaan happy. It is a simple point. We will work only for Bhagwaan. Now the relationship is only with Bhagwaan. This is sharanagati. (partial response to question)

From discourse (partial) in Hindi on May 13, 1998 at 8:30 am by Swami Ramsukhdasji.

For ENGLISH WEBSITE please visit: http://www.swamiramsukhdasji.netFor full online discourses in Hindi: http://www.swamiramsukhdasji.org

=======================================