IndiaDivine.org

Ramarajya

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sri Rama Bhakthas,

Everytime I vist Chennai, the Triplicane platform provides good old books and this time it is Sri V.V. Srinivasa Iyengar's " RAMARAJYA " . This is a drama and I purchased the book by this evening and finished off reading the book at one breadth. Such an intersting one and I want to share the book with you all.

But I am not sure whether anybody is holding copyright of Sri VVS's works. And hence I just reproduce below the extract of preface by Sri C.P.Ramaswamy Iyer. I shall wait for ten days and If nobody objects on copyright issue I shall post the drama Act by Act or Scene by scene in my blog. Ths preface is a very good trailer also.

Preface to " Ramarajya "

by Sri C.P.Ramaswamy Iyer

J. M. Barrie, in his immortal creation, 'Peter Pan', seeks to symbolise eternal youth. Peter Pan refuses to grow old and insists on perpetually-retaining that elasticity of mind and ebullience of spirit which are associated with adolescence. My senior by some years and my good friend for several decades, Mr. V.V. Srinivasa Aiyangar is a true embodiment of the Peter Pan ideal. Having enjoyed his sympathetic comradeship during several years of joint professional and social activities, I feel qualified to appraise his many-sided attainments. He has consistently kept himself aloof from those often exasperating activities which are termed, public life and politics'; but during more than fifty years of active legal work interrupted only by a short spell of judicial experience, Mr. Srinivasa Aiyangar has maintained high traditions of fellowship and forensic standards to which suitable tributes have recently been paid on the occasion of his professional jubilee. It is however as one with a special faculty for helpful friendship and as a practical philosopher that many of us appreciate him most. In addition and perhaps most notably, he is a keen observer and delineator of contemporary life through the media of the drama and literature. To discharge his self-chosen task he is well qualified by his deep acquaintance with English literature and the Indian classics and he possesses an authentic dramatic talent which was first manifested during the early days of the Suguna Vilasa Sabha of which he was the joint progenitor with Mr. P. Sambandam, that well known Tamil litterateur.

For many years Mr. Srinivas Aiyangar has been producing a succession of poems, both grave and gay, as well as dramatic skits and serious plays. He has not been above writing burlesques like the " Jolly Club " poking gentle fun at politics and executive measures which, in his language, insist on the practice of virtue by external compulsion. The South Indian Psychic and Spiritual Research Institute and its activities will not be easily forgotten by lovers of quite satire. In his brochure on " Time " , he has combined seriousness with humour and produced a descriptive synthesis of what he has termed " active inactivity or inactive activity " . In his own life, he has exemplified the maxim that one should plan for every day of one's work and labours from morning till night and thus use time intensively. Not all active men are true philosophers and Srinivasa Aiyangar's philosophy is one of cheerful fortitude amidst all the trials of life.

In his latest semi historical and semi-philosophical play " Rama Rajya " , he reproduces the Court of Sri Rama and elucidates in simple but suggestive dialogue the basic ideals of Government and the duties of King, Minister and Subject. The episode of Viswajit, a son of Indrajit who arrived in Ayodhya to exact vengeance for his father's death and to assassinate Sri Rama, affords an example of dexterous use of a dramatic situation. One cannot but be struck by Viswajit's statement that even cities seem to be possessed of personality and character and that Ayodhya's atmosphere was creative of virtue and forbearance. Another example of acute psychological analysis is contained in the dialogue between Hanuman and Sri Rama in which the former delineates the two Sugrivas, one, the ideal Sugriva when in the company of his liege lord and the other the inveterate pleasure-seeker. In an originally conceived scene, the author expounds, through the mouth of Sri Rama, that while there should be a citizen army, the members of that army should also busy themselves with various industries and crafts in their spare time.

Although Mr. Srinivasa Aiyangar eschews controversial politics, he skilfully introduces his ideas as to currency, controls on commodities, trade, import policy and similar problems which are adumbrated as having arisen and been solved in the Court of Sri Rama. Kaikeyi is given a new role as the instrument of the Gods for the second time and after a remarkable conversation between her and Sri Rama, there occurs the discussion between Vasishta and Sri Rama regarding the crisis in the latter's life and this brings before us a new interpretation of Sita's departure. The rights and obligations of the sacerdotal caste and the psychology of wars are delineated with fairness and subtlety. One of the finest scenes in the play is the conversation between Sita and her husband as to the necessity and importance of her retiring to the forests un-accompanied by her husband. When Sri Rama asks Sita why he should not, on this occasion, go with her to the hermitage, the answer is given that she was going alone on a special mission to save her Rama as well as Rama Rajya. The drama ends with the enthronement of Kusa and Lava and the abdication and departure of Sri Rama, Sita and their entourage.

The main elements of the story are, of course, reproduced from Valmiki; but Mr. Srinivas Aiyangar has, with the instinct of a true play-wright, interwoven into the ancient story, episodes and lessons bearing on the life of today. At a time when, in the language of the poet, " the jumbled strifes of creed and creed with endless controversies feed " and when we are surfeited in the domain of so-called literature with crime and mystery stories and trivial or vulgar plays, it is well that there are a few persons with ample vision, serene will and fixed mind to remind us, through romance and the drama, of " the things that are more excellent " . Among such is indubitably Mr. Srinivasa Aiyangar and I have no doubt that the discerning public will accord a cordial welcome to a play which is the product of his mature experience and reflection.

C. P. RAMASWAMI AIYAR11-4-1951

Adiyen,Dasan,Thiruppathi RaguveeradayalC/O SRIRANGAM SRIMAD ANDAVAN ASHRAMAM,THIRUPPULLANI 62353204567-254242//919443301091