Amavasya tharpanam and parents annual ceremony

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Adiyen sadagopa dasan

I have been having the above working in my mind for quite some years.ie when i

do go abroad for longer duration staying in my daughter's house can i perform

amavasya tharpanam or for that matter the anuual ceremony of my parents? Do we

have any specific thumbrule in our sasthras on this score?

Please bear in mind that i know the alternative of performing these in nearest

temples there.

Andavan thiruvadi saranam

sadagopa dasan

Guest guest

Dear Sir,

I guess there was no thumb rule or preceedence on these issues. These are modern day problems and very orthodox people will not allow breaking the rule or suggest alternatives.

I am a relative of Sriman Desikacharya swamin who is the Srikaryam and he asked me stay back for his father's annual ceremony and at that time he was 76yrs old.

He got up at 2 Am and pulled over 70 buckets of water from the well . He and his Dharamapatni collected 24 vegetables(? , I am not sure of the count but this started 4 days earlier.

They both started the samayal at 4 am and this went on till 10 Am.

Swamin had invited Theyar Swamin and Ahohilamutt Narasimhachariar swamin and they were treated as Attiti's .

After 10 Am mama did his Nitya karma's and these all finished at12.30 in the afternoon.Then started all the arrangements for the shrardham and by the time the swamins had bhojanam it was 4Pm and when he prostrated before them , He prayed the pitru's that he may be forgiven for all the aparadham and they may bless him to do with more shraddha .He and Mami must have cooked 24 vegetables and an equal number of sweets.

After that mama fed all the students of the Veda patasala  ( 24 then) and I also had food , after that he and Mami had food.

The shrardha procedure was absolutely vedic and ever since that time , I have never been peaceful when I do shrardham for my pitru's.

I always feel that in Pitru Karyam shraddha is the most important and no body can answer queries on alternatives.

Somebody may say Do Gaya srardham and rest is ok, But Mama has always told me

1. Nitya karma are very important- ammavasya tharpanam abroad has no palan but only indicates your shraddha.

2. Pitru Karma are very important-it is better to do it in India.

..It is for you to decide whether you can adjust your visits abroad so that you can do the shrardha , but rest of the queries only Purushotamma can answer.

These days when you perform shrardha in Delhi or thiruvallikeni one realises that this is more of a commercial activity than true spritual exercise and we are caught in a dilemma , are we doing the right?,

We ( and modernisation ) and the Vadhyar's are both responsible as the times and values have changed .

mama's generation is probably the last one and I was lucky to witness a true Shrardha.

Dasan

narasimhan

On 7/26/09, sadak_1947 <sadak_1947 wrote:

Adiyen sadagopa dasanI have been having the above working in my mind for quite some years.ie when i do go abroad for longer duration staying in my daughter's house can i perform amavasya tharpanam or for that matter the anuual ceremony of my parents? Do we have any specific thumbrule in our sasthras on this score?

Please bear in mind that i know the alternative of performing these in nearest temples there.Andavan thiruvadi saranamsadagopa dasan

-- Narasimhan K L

Guest guest

Dear Sir

Thank you very very much for your reply .I am now clear as to how i should go about in performing pithru karmas.Thanks once again ,sir,

Andavan Thiruvadi Saranam

Dasan Sadagopan--- On Mon, 27/7/09, narasimhan kannan <narasimhankl wrote:

narasimhan kannan <narasimhanklRe: Amavasya tharpanam and parents annual ceremonyandavan Date: Monday, 27 July, 2009, 9:26 AM

Dear Sir,

I guess there was no thumb rule or preceedence on these issues. These are modern day problems and very orthodox people will not allow breaking the rule or suggest alternatives.

I am a relative of Sriman Desikacharya swamin who is the Srikaryam and he asked me stay back for his father's annual ceremony and at that time he was 76yrs old.

He got up at 2 Am and pulled over 70 buckets of water from the well . He and his Dharamapatni collected 24 vegetables(? , I am not sure of the count but this started 4 days earlier.

They both started the samayal at 4 am and this went on till 10 Am.

Swamin had invited Theyar Swamin and Ahohilamutt Narasimhachariar swamin and they were treated as Attiti's .

After 10 Am mama did his Nitya karma's and these all finished at12.30 in the afternoon.Then started all the arrangements for the shrardham and by the time the swamins had bhojanam it was 4Pm and when he prostrated before them , He prayed the pitru's that he may be forgiven for all the aparadham and they may bless him to do with more shraddha .He and Mami must have cooked 24 vegetables and an equal number of sweets.

After that mama fed all the students of the Veda patasala ( 24 then) and I also had food , after that he and Mami had food.

The shrardha procedure was absolutely vedic and ever since that time , I have never been peaceful when I do shrardham for my pitru's.

I always feel that in Pitru Karyam shraddha is the most important and no body can answer queries on alternatives.

Somebody may say Do Gaya srardham and rest is ok, But Mama has always told me

1. Nitya karma are very important- ammavasya tharpanam abroad has no palan but only indicates your shraddha.

2. Pitru Karma are very important-it is better to do it in India.

..It is for you to decide whether you can adjust your visits abroad so that you can do the shrardha , but rest of the queries only Purushotamma can answer.

These days when you perform shrardha in Delhi or thiruvallikeni one realises that this is more of a commercial activity than true spritual exercise and we are caught in a dilemma , are we doing the right?,

We ( and modernisation ) and the Vadhyar's are both responsible as the times and values have changed .

mama's generation is probably the last one and I was lucky to witness a true Shrardha.

Dasan

narasimhan

On 7/26/09, sadak_1947 <sadak_1947 > wrote:

Adiyen sadagopa dasanI have been having the above working in my mind for quite some years.ie when i do go abroad for longer duration staying in my daughter's house can i perform amavasya tharpanam or for that matter the anuual ceremony of my parents? Do we have any specific thumbrule in our sasthras on this score?Please bear in mind that i know the alternative of performing these in nearest temples there.Andavan thiruvadi saranamsadagopa dasan

-- Narasimhan K L