IndiaDivine.org

[RamanujaMission] Kanchipuram-- Saalakkinaru--

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Swamin,A great kainkaryam initiated and completed by you.Thanks for sharing info which should make more Bagavathas to visit this shetram.Rgs, Veeraraghavan.Mumbai

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Srinivasan Rangaswamy <r_sv wrote:

Sreemathe RangaRamanuja Mahadesikaya Namaha

SAALKKINARU

Many of you would have heard this name. This is a very significant name to our Sri Ramanuja Sampradaayam. This  is the place, where  Sri Deva Perumal and Sri Perundevi Thaayar , in the guise of  " Veduvan and Veduvachchi " , guided Sri Ramanujar from the Vindya forests in the north, to reach Kanchipuram. It is at this place Sri Ramanujar who accompnied the Divine Couple, requested for Theertham for performing Anushtanams and Sri Deva perumal in the guise of Veduvan, showed this well for that purpose. At that point of time,when Sri Ramanujar enquired the Veduvan Couple about the place where they are, The couple has pointed out Sri Deva Perumal Temple Towers, which can been at some distance and then they vanished. Suddenly Sri Ramanuja realised that Sri Deva Perumal and sri Perundevi Thaayaar themselves have guided him all the from Vidhya Parvathams to Kanchipuram.

Saalakkinaru is the palce, where Sri Ramanuja realised that the Couple who guided Him all the way as Perumal and Thaayar.

From that day,during His Stay in Kanchipuram, he carried on his head and shoulders  " Saalakkinaru Theertham " for daily thiruvaaraadanam at Sri Deva Peumal Temple.

The reason, why Sri Ramanujar went to the north of Vindhyas is a big story and I would suggest that some our other learned group members will bring out informations about that, subsequently. On this mail, I would like to concentrate on some thing significant event which has happened with the guidance and blessings of H.h. Sri Rangaramanuja Mahadesikan.

Srimath Andavan Ashramam is very much attached to Sri Deva Perumal. Srimath Therazhundur Andavan has spent several years in the service of Sri Deva Perumal. His Brindavanma is located at Sri Rangaraja Veedhi at our Ashramam in Kanchipuram.

Prakirtham Andavan years' back took some steps to do improvement works for this Saalakkinaru . H.H. also entrusted  to one of our Ashramam sishyas, to carry Theertahm daily from Saalakkinaru for Sri Deva Perumal Nithya Araadanam,the same way, Sri Ramanuja has done in His days. For several years this is happening, eventhough some small breaks were there in between.

But during visits to this Saalakkinaru, I along with some other Ashramam sishyas found that the well require some  repair works like inside plastering, then water has to be drained during peak summer this year, so that fresh water can sprout from the deep ground.

When this was referred to H.H., he immediately entrusted the job to me and  to see that every thing around that Saalakkinaru is cleaned up and well protected.Since this place belonged to the Temple, coming under H.R. & C.E, necessaray permissions were obtained. 

At first, all the brick works inside the well were re-plastered. Then a new platform for drawing water comfortably was done. A big pump set was brought to drain out completely the water inside .The enitre water was drained out.

At this time, the engineer, who was supervisng the work told me by pointing out, " Sir, believe me , that this well is not man made fom the way, it has formed out of deep rock far below. This is definitely devine made. water is coming out like what we normally call in Tamil " Sunai " , crystal clear.

..At this point of time, Devasthanam officials themeselves suggested that I arrange for building a compound wall around this famous " Saalakkinaru ', so that we will keep this place as a holy one, so that the place do not get spoiled by encroachments.

I obtained the blessings of H.H. for this work also. Within a month, a 5 feet high compound wall for a 30feet square has come up with front grill gates. An Engineer from Kanchipuram, by name Sri Devaraj , ( a surprise coincidence ),cooperated well to complete the works to our full satisfaction. The whole work was finished at a cost of around Rs 115,000, which myself and my family members were very much happy to submit to Sri Deva Perumal, on behalf of Srirangam Srimath Andavan Ashramam.

As per guidance of Srimath Andavan one of Ashramam devotee daily carries Theertham from this well, located at a distance of 6 to 7 KMs. from the temple,.Daily morning Thiruvaaraadanams are carried out for Sri Deva Perumal with this theertham . What Sri Ramanujar initiated at His time,the present Sri Ranga Ramanuja Mahadesikan is carrying on in these days. This is great Bhaagyam for our Srirangam Srimath Andavan Ashramam.

H.R. & C.E. officials who have visited the site has all the praise for the work carried out for this Saalakkinaru, which is one of the  mile stone for Temple and carried out with a public particpation, in their efforts to maintain Temple Administration.

For those who would like to visit this place, from Kanchipuram take Vandavasi Road, turn left in a cuchhccha road, just at the junction, you see Sevlimedu name board, go through a small village for about a Km., you will reach this place. The picasa web photographs will give you the full picture of the work carried out and a few minor works are to be done shortly.

But the well is at a far off place from Kanchipuram and now it is fully protected by a compound wall , gates and lock and keys. To maintain the sanctity of the place, inside the compound wall may not be accessible, when you visit the place. As the well may get polluted, if it is thrown open. When you visit, please be satisfied in having a look from outside,you may do a " pradhakshinam " from outside the wall. The local people around are very courteous to help you out.Pleasee be satisfied with this