IndiaDivine.org

Various groups in Madhwa community

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namaskara,

I would like to know about the various groups in madhwa

community like ARAVELU, BALAGANADU, ARAVATH-VAK-KULU etc.

What does it mean ?

is there any differences in customs among these groups?

What make the madhwas to come to Tamilnadu? ( according my knowledge

there is no madhwa whose mother tongue is Tamil )

Invasion or Famine or Flood or ...?

Regards,

Venkatram

Guest guest

Namaskara,

the origin of madhwas in tamilnadu has been a unanswered question with me for long. if anyone could explain, would be grateful. since i am from tamilnadu and speak marathi / kannada at home, many used to ask me how you came to TN.

i have a vague rememberance of saying that madhwas migrated to TN during the Peshwa's regime to Tanjore side. since then they have settled there. i do not know how far this is true.

If the learned members could exlain, would be grateful.

Hare Krishna

Rao ALG

arvachar [pvram]Friday, May 16, 2003 2:43 AM Subject: Various groups in Madhwa communityNamaskara, I would like to know about the various groups in madhwa community like ARAVELU, BALAGANADU, ARAVATH-VAK-KULU etc.What does it mean ?is there any differences in customs among these groups?What make the madhwas to come to Tamilnadu? ( according my knowledge there is no madhwa whose mother tongue is Tamil )Invasion or Famine or Flood or ...?Regards,VenkatramnAham kartA hariH kartA tatpUjA karmachaakhilam.h|taThaapi matkR^itaa pUja tatprasaadhEna naanyaThaa|tadbhakti tadphalam.h mahyam.h tatprasaadaat.h punaH punaH |karmanyaasO harAvevam.h vishNOsthR^iptikaraH sadhA ||"I am not the doer, shri Hari is the doer, all the actions that I do are His worship. Even then, the worship I do is through His grace and not otherwise. That devotion and the fruits of the actions that come to me are due to His recurring grace" If one always practices to do actions with a dedicated spirit to Hari, in this way, it pleases Vishnu. --- Quoted by Sri madhvAchArya in GitA tAtparya --To send an empty E-mail (without subject and body info.) to - --Visit VMS at http://www.madhva.orgView the latest events in the US by selecting the 'Events' link--

• 8 years later...

This is an explanation I have heard. Basically, Kannada madhwas migrated to tamil nadu in various waves spread across different decades or centuries. the families that migrated together became one group. Thus, aravelu, belagandu, aravathu vakkulu, etc were the different groups who migrated at different times.

At some point of time, 60 families must have together migrated to TN, hence that group was called Aravathu vakkulu, meaning 60 houses.

Similarly, velu or velar was some measure of area in olden times during the later vijayanagara empires. There must have a set of families who were donated 6 velars of land by the king. Thus, those families must have been Aravelu.

This is an area which needs closer study, by interested historians and sociologists. And much like most of Indian history, study has been hampered by a lack of written accounts of migrations.

Hope this explanation helped!!!

If anyone can find some more clues, do enlighten us all!!!