IndiaDivine.org

Munro

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Members,

Last week Shri Rajaram, Smt. Rekha Kulkarni and Shri Gopalakrishna B. Varna wrote about Munro. I congragulate Smt. Rekha for having looked in detail, among the private papers of Thomas Munro. I doubt that none of these has any reference or context with Munro's visit to Mantralayam. Years before, in 1981 I had worked in the India Office Library, at which time I had gone through quite a lot concerning Munro and Mantralayam, but with no avail about our Swamiji. Permit me, therefore, to deal with this subject in its full perspective.

In this, the F.A.Q's are:

(i)

DID MUNRO VISIT MANTRALAYA?

No doubt about it. He was Collector of Kurnool, Bellary etc during 1801-1806. He might have visited Mantralayam during this period. Later he worked for Land Revenue Commission (1814-1821); then Governor of Madras and died in 1827.

When he went to the Matha he removed the shoes and when approached the Brindavanam he also took out his hat. He knew this custom, as recorded in his visit to the temple of Ranganatha in Anegundi on 21/7/1806

(ii)

MUNRO AND INDIANS

Here are some of his views on Indian matters: (a) An average Indian Clerk is much more honest and hardworking than his counter-part in England. (Quoted in Tom Munro Saheb, by Krishnaswamy)

(b) Confirming Rekha's quotation : Britishers have treated Indians with great contempt and much scorn

© Products from England are duty payable. So also Indian products to England to be tax paid.

(d) He who loses his liberty looses half of his virtues (Said with reference to Indians)

(e) Munro says in his dispatch dt: 18/10/1826 : "I have spent so much of my life in India. I am so well acquainted with the people. I almost regret that it is not my own country."

…To be continued [Did Swamiji specifically give him Darshan and talk to him?

Dr. Shrinivas HAVANUR

Ph: (0824) 2411978

Mangalore