IndiaDivine.org

Vyasaraja Svami- Anjaneya Temples.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear All

It is not clear as to the purpose behind Shri Arvind

Iyer's seeking information on the above topic.

Shri Vyasaraja Thirtha installed the idols mostly in

the areas under Vijayanagar kingdom spread in what is

Karnataka, Andhra, parts of Tamilnadu extending till

the southern part and parts of Maharashtra.

In TN these idols were part of larger temple

complexes. An example would be the Namakkal temple

where we understand is an Anjaneya idol (in between

the main huge Anjaneya - a swayambu and Lord

Narasimha)

In many cases the temples may be under the management

of other sampradayas and hence may not be obvious to

the priest, unless he is well read ,that the idol was

originally installed by Sri Vyasathirtha (in a famous

temple in Bangalore the priest did not even mention

it).

Broadly speaking, most veera anjaneya idols with

Abhaya hastha, a lotus in the hand and a bell in the

tail, installed during Vijayanagar period in TN, could

be by Sri Vyasathirtha. Most of them are reliefs

carved in stone slabs or on rocks and can be in places

which are associated with puranas/important kshetras

and could even be in large Shiva temple complexes or

locations that are not easily accessible such as deep

in the jungle or hills.

Owing to shifting of settlements due to natural

calamities, and migration of Madhvas due to

urbanisation some of these temples may have shifted to

other sects. In some cases they might have fallen into

disuse. Most idols in Mathas are well maintained and

worshipped.

I have often wondered, when I used to accompany my

father on his field trips, as to why Anjaneya idols

have been installed in remote places- a possible

reason could be they were human settlements/agraharas

before. In some temples however the worship of the

specific idol is by Madhvas.

There is an Anjaneya installed by Sri Vyasaraja

thirtha at Kakalur near Chennai where worship is as

per Madhva procedures. There is one in Tirumala

opposite Varahaswami temple.In Dharapuram area, I

understand, there are around nine which have temple

complexes in the vicinity.

A very important aspect and perhaps one of immediate

priority is to have a common manual of Anjaneya

worship " as per procedures laid down by Sri

Vyasathirtha " and publish it in different languages.

An organisation such as SMSO could take a lead.(This

wd help in avoiding recent popular practices such as

garlands made of eatables,snacks etc).

I am told there is a idol of Anjaneya installed by Sri

Vyasathirtha near Guntakkal station in A P.

I shall be thankful if Shri Arvind Iyer could indicate

the purpose behind the query for any further research.

Suresh

Suresh at Bangalore

______________________________\

____Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join 's user panel

and lay it on us. http://surveylink./gmrs/_panel_invite.asp?a=7

Guest guest

Dear All,

There is an idol of Pranadevaru, installed by Sri Vyasathirtha, at a village called Perumanallur, near Tiruppur. To this day, this idol is worshipped by Madhva priests. Interesting to note that, an idol of Sri Madhvacharya is also installed, facing Pranadevaru with an inscription in KANNADA as "MADHVARAYA". Indeed, it is rare to find a Kannada inscription in the heart of Tamilnadu. This Anjaneya temple is part of a larger Vishnu temple, locally known as "Perumal" temple, worshipped by Srivaishnava priests.

Persons living near Tiruppur, Coimbatore, Salem, Erode can visit this place and have darshan of Sri Pranadevaru and Sri Madhvacharya. Perumanallur is 8 KM from Tiruppur new bus stand.

Regards,

Sateesh Gururajachar

"Change is the law of life, and those who look to the past or the present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

From: maruthisureshDate: Wed, 23 May 2007 23:40:37 -0700 Re: Vyasaraja Svami- Anjaneya Temples.

Dear AllIt is not clear as to the purpose behind Shri ArvindIyer's seeking information on the above topic. Shri Vyasaraja Thirtha installed the idols mostly inthe areas under Vijayanagar kingdom spread in what isKarnataka, Andhra, parts of Tamilnadu extending tillthe southern part and parts of Maharashtra. In TN these idols were part of larger templecomplexes. An example would be the Namakkal templewhere we understand is an Anjaneya idol (in betweenthe main huge Anjaneya - a swayambu and LordNarasimha)In many cases the temples may be under the managementof other sampradayas and hence may not be obvious tothe priest, unless he is well read ,that the idol wasoriginally installed by Sri Vyasathirtha (in a famoustemple in Bangalore the priest did not even mentionit). Broadly speaking, most veera anjaneya idols withAbhaya hastha, a lotus in the hand and a bell in thetail, installed during Vijayanagar period in TN, couldbe by Sri Vyasathirtha. Most of them are reliefscarved in stone slabs or on rocks and can be in placeswhich are associated with puranas/important kshetrasand could even be in large Shiva temple complexes orlocations that are not easily accessible such as deepin the jungle or hills. Owing to shifting of settlements due to naturalcalamities, and migration of Madhvas due tourbanisation some of these temples may have shifted toother sects. In some cases they might have fallen intodisuse. Most idols in Mathas are well maintained andworshipped.I have often wondered, when I used to accompany myfather on his field trips, as to why Anjaneya idolshave been installed in remote places- a possiblereason could be they were human settlements/agraharasbefore. In some temples however the worship of thespecific idol is by Madhvas.There is an Anjaneya installed by Sri Vyasarajathirtha at Kakalur near Chennai where worship is asper Madhva procedures. There is one in Tirumalaopposite Varahaswami temple.In Dharapuram area, Iunderstand, there are around nine which have templecomplexes in the vicinity.A very important aspect and perhaps one of immediatepriority is to have a common manual of Anjaneyaworship "as per procedures laid down by SriVyasathirtha" and publish it in different languages.An organisation such as SMSO could take a lead.(Thiswd help in avoiding recent popular practices such as garlands made of eatables,snacks etc).I am told there is a idol of Anjaneya installed by SriVyasathirtha near Guntakkal station in A P.I shall be thankful if Shri Arvind Iyer could indicatethe purpose behind the query for any further research.SureshSuresh at Bangalore________Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join 's user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink./gmrs/_panel_invite.asp?a=7 Create the ultimate e-mail address book. Import your contacts to Windows Live Hotmail. Try it!