IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Upcoming PApamochanii Ekadashi - Significance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

---------- Forwarded message ----------Raghu Rao <rrao115Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Re: Upcoming PApamochanii Ekadashi - SignificanceShobha Srinivasan <gvss.srinivasanNamaskara, Please forward to VMS list. Thanks

Note: forwarded message attached.

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

http://tc.deals./tc/blockbuster/text5.com---------- Forwarded message ----------Raghu Rao <rrao115

svbm , MYP <madhwayuvaparishat >, jignaasa-owner

Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:46:31 -0700 (PDT)Upcoming PApamochanii Ekadashi - SignificanceEkadashi Falls on Wed April 2nd, 2008 (both India & USA)Dwadashi falls Thurs April 3rd, 2008 (both India &

USA). Paarane before 9:11 AM Thursday.Source: indiadivine.org and Raghunath Rao's postingson Dvaita list. Regards, RaoPApamochanii Ekadashi From the Bhavishya-uttara

PurAna.Sri Yudhisthira MAharAja requested to the Lord, " Now Iwish to hear about the Ekadashi that occurs during thedark fortnight of the month of Phalguna. What is itsname, Oh Lord, and what results can one attain by

observing it? " Lord Shri Krishna, replied, " O best of kings, for thebenefit of everyone I shall gladly describe to you theglories of this Ekadashi, which is known asPApamochanii. The history of this Ekadashi was once

narrated to the Emperor MAndhAta by Lomasha Rishi. " Lomasha Rishi said, " The Ekadashi that occurs duringthe dark part of the month of Phalguna is namedPApamochanii Ekadashi. For the faithful devotee it

removes the influences of ghosts and demons. Oh lionamong men, this Ekadashi also awards the eightperfections of life, fulfils all kinds of desires,purifies one's life of all sinful reactions, and makes

a person perfectly virtuous. " 'Now please listen to a historical account concerningthis Ekadashi and Chitraratha, the chief of theGandharvas (heavenly musicians). During the springseason, in the company of heavenly dancing girls,

Chitraratha once came upon a beautiful forest burstingforth with a great variety of flowers. There he andthe girls joined the Gandharvas and many Kinnaras,along with Lord Indra himself, the king of heaven, who

was enjoying a visit there. Everyone felt that therewas no better garden than this forest. Many sages werealso present, performing their austerities andpenances. The demigods particularly enjoyed visitingthis celestial garden during the months of Phalguna

and Vaisakha (April-May). " 'A great sage named MedhAvi resided in that forest,and the very attractive dancing girls would alwaysattempt to seduce him. One famous girl in particular,MaNjughoshA, contrived many ways to allure the exalted

Muni, but out of great respect for the sage and featof his power, which he had attained after years andyears of ascetics, she would not come very close tohim. At a spot two miles from the sage, she pitched a

tent and began singing very sweetly as she played atamburi. Kaama himself became excited when he saw andheard her perform so nicely and smelled the fragranceof her sandal-paste unguent. He remembered his own

unfortunate experience with Lord Shiva and decided totake revenge by seducing MedhAvi. " 'Using the eyebrows of MaNjughoshA as a bow, herglances as a bowstring, her eyes as arrows, and herbreasts as a target, Kaama approached MedhAvi in order

to tempt him to break his trance and his vows. Inother words, Kaama engaged MaNjughoshA as hisassistant, and when she looked at that powerful andattractive young sage, she also became agitated bylust. Seeing that he was highly intelligent and

learned, wearing a clean white brahmana's threaddraped across his shoulder, holding a sannyasi'sstaff, and sitting handsomely in the asrama ofChyavana Rishi, MaNjughoshA came before him. " 'She began to sing seductively, and the small bells

of her belt and around her ankles, together with thebangles on her wrists, produced a delightful musicalsymphony. The sage MedhAvi was enchanted. heunderstood that this beautiful young woman desiredunion with him, and at that instant Cupid increased

his attraction for MaNjughoshA by releasing hispowerful weapons of taste, touch, sight, smell, andsound. " 'Slowly MaNjughoshA approached MedhAvi, her bodilymovements and sweet glances attracting him. She

gracefully put her tamboura down and embraced the sagewith her two arms, just as a creeper winds itselfaround a strong tree. Captivated, MedhAvi gave up hismeditation and decided to sport with her - andinstantly his purity of heart and mind abandoned him.

Forgetting even the difference between night and day,he went away with her to sport for a long, long time. " 'Seeing that the young yogi's sanctity had becomeseriously eroded, MaNjughoshA decided to abandon him

and return home. She said. " O great one, please permitme to return home. " " 'MedhAvi replied, " But you have only just arrived, Obeautiful one. Please stay with me at least untiltomorrow. "

" 'Fearful of the sage's yogic power, MaNjughoshAstayed with MedhAvi for precisely fifty-seven years,nine months, and three days, but to MedhAvi all thistime seemed like a moment. Again she asked him,

" Please permit me to leave. " " 'MedhAvi replied, " O dear one, listen to me. Staywith me for one more night, and then you may leavetomorrow morning. Just stay with me until I haveperformed my morning duties and chanted the sacred

GAyatri mantra. Please wait until then. " " 'MaNjughoshA was still fearful of the sage's greatyogic power, but she forced a smile and said, " Howlong will it take you to finish your morning hymns and

rituals? Please be merciful and think of all the timeyou have already spent with me. " " 'The sage reflected on the years he had been withMaNjughoshA and then said with great astonishment. " Why, I have spent more than fifty-seven years with

you! " His eyes turned red and began to emanate sparks.He now regarded MaNjughoshA as death personified andthe destroyer of his spiritual life. " You have turnedall the hard-earned results of my austerities to

ashes! " Trembling with anger, he cursed MaNjughoshA, " Oh sinful one, Oh hard-hearted, degraded one! Youknow only sin! May all terrible fortune by yours! Oh Icurse you to become an evil hobgoblin - pishAcha! "

" 'Cursed by the age MedhAvi, the beautiful MaNjughoshAhumbly beseeched him, " Oh best of the brAhmanas,please be merciful to me and revoke your curse! Ohgreat one, it is said that association with pure

devotees gives immediate results but their curses takeeffect only after seven days. I have been with you forfifty-seven years, Oh master, so please be kind tome! " " 'MedhAvi Muni replied, " Oh gentle lady what can I

possibly do? You have destroyed all my austerities.But even though you have done this sinful deed, Ishall tell you a way you can be released from mywrath. In the dark fortnight of the month of Phalgunathere is an all-auspicious Ekadashi that removes all

one's sins. Its name is PApamochanii, Oh beautifulone, and whoever fasts on this sacred day becomescompletely freed from having to take birth in any kindof devilish form. " " 'With these words, the sage left at once for his

father's Ashrama. Seeing him enter the hermitage,Chyavana Muni said, " Oh son, by acting unlawfully youhave squandered the wealth of your penances andausterities. " " 'Medhavi replied, " Oh Father, kindly reveal what

atonement I must perform to remove the obnoxious sin Ihave incurred by privately associating with thedancing girl MaNjughoshA. " " 'Chyavana Muni answered, " Dear son, you must fast onPApamochanii Ekadashi, which occurs during the dark

fortnight of the month of Phalguna. It eradicates allsins, no matter how grievous they may be. " " 'MedhAvi followed his father's advice and fasted onPApamochanii Ekadashi. Thus all his sins were

destroyed and he again became filled with excellentmerit. Similarly, MaNjughoshA observed the same fastand became free of the hobgoblin curse. Ascending onceagain to the heavenly spheres, she too returned to her

former position.' " Lomasha Rishi continued, 'Thus, Oh king, the greatbenefit of fasting on PApamochanii Ekadashi is thatwhoever does so with faith and devotion will have allhis sins completely destroyed.'

Sri Krishna concluded, " Oh King Yudhishthira, whoeverreads or hears about PApamochanii Ekadashi obtains thevery same merit he would get if he donated a thousandcows in charity, and he also nullifies the sinful

reactions he may have incurred by killing a brAhmana,killing an embryo through abortion, drinking liquor,or having sex with his guru's wife. Such is theincalculable benefit of properly observing this holy

day of PApamochanii Ekadashi, which is so dear to Meand so meritorious. " You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

http://tc.deals./tc/blockbuster/text5.com-- parameshvara bhaktirnAma niravadhika ananta anavadya kalyANaguNatva

GYAnapUrvakaHsvAtmAtmIya samasta vastubhyo aneka guNAdhiko antarAya sahasrenApya pratibaddo nirantara premapravAhaH (jiGYAsAdhikaraNam.h, a verse from Sriman Nyaya Sudha)(Meaning from Srimad Bhagawad Gita (The song Olympian) by Sri G V Nadgauda.

[Devotion to Lord] (bhakthi) is the invariable & continuous flow of ardent affection to God, undettered by varied frustrations in life, [excelling the attachment to self, our kindred & other lovable assets] (vairagya),

reinforced by [sound knowledge] (jnAna) & solid conviction of His glory & greatness, as the sole independent Power, the abode of all auspicious attributes, free from foibles. As such, it differs from blind belief &

selfish live. It should be founded on an unshakable intellectual & emotional conviction in the Majesty of the Lord- as the embodiment of all spiritual excellences.