IndiaDivine.org

[MYP] !!! Oath to control eating junk food !!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namaskara Srinivas Prasad Avare,Thanks for your inputs. Its really helpful atleast for people like me who keep travelling for business reasons.

-- Kale Balkrishna

Vice President - ITMSMobile : +91-9849042501

visit my blog : http://kalebala.wordpress.com/Slogan of the day : Please do Sandhyavandane Daily.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Srinivas Prasad K S <srinivas.prasad wrote:

Namaskara Balkrishna,

Thanks for the very good reminder for all of us.

But I would like to add few missing items here. I am not member of other groups. You may reforward this message.

1. For these 4 months at least perform 10 mins Saligrama /Sudarshana abhisekha everyday in the monring with Purusha Sukta or Narayana Ashtakshara mantra.

Do not offer nishidda padartha as naivedya to supreme god. Please offer water and 'White kallu sakkare' as naivedya

2. Please stop eating Brinjal, Beetroot, Sorekayi, Nuggekayi which are equivalent or worse than Onion/Garlic

3. Please note even Watermelon comes is treated under same class

4. Stage 3 must be followed without any exception.

However it can only be followed by people who are stationed in one city without much touring requirements.

For the people who goes on tour regularly within India / Overseas which is true for most of the IT sector/ Marketing jobs

please do not eat in hotels where veg and non veg are prepared together.

There are lot of hotels like Udupi , Kamath, Saravana, Swagat chain of hotels in South and Haldiram in North India where only veg food is prepared.

These hotels also have their branches in important cities in Asia Pacific region.

In many Veg hotels Jain food is available where in they prepare food without onion & garlic.

As an alternative, now small electric portable rice cookers are available from Pigeon / Prestige / Panasonic companies.

Cost varies from Rs. 900 to Rs. 1800 for capcity of 1/2kg and available in all cities. With this you can carry rice from home and prepare food in hotel rooms at your convinience

which needs only 5A power socket. This is the option I regularly use whenever I tour in India / abroad.

Choice is definitely yours.

Best Regards, _______________Yokogawa India Ltd. K.S.Srinivas Prasad,Deputy General Manager,Product Division

Plot 96, Electronics city, Hosur Road, Bangalore 560100Tel : 91-80-41586000, Direct - 41586084, Fax: 28528656Mobile - 9945175556

MadhwaYuvaParishat [MadhwaYuvaParishat ] On Behalf Of Kale BalkrishnaTuesday, July 15, 2008 1:30 PMITMS Hyderabad; Madhwa Yuva Parishat; jignaasa ; HDSM; uttaradimath-list ; madhva.sangha; VMS[MYP] !!! Oath to control eating junk food !!!

Namaskara All, Let us all take an oath to stop eating all possible tamasic foods, which severely impacts our sharp minds to act otherwise. We simply must avoid all tamasic food and attain a supreme state of mind. Let us try the following Stages of self control (Stage 1 being easy to Stage 3 being difficult) STAGE 1: Stop eating Eggs (direct) and egg-based preparations. Eggs in any form (as a Madhva I shouldn't have written this, but the prevalence and situation demands so) PLEASE don't eat Egg based cakes, pastries, etc - this is no better than eating boiled eggs. Remember it is not a vegetarian produce and strictly prohibited for Brahmins by our Shastras. I cannot simply emphasis this anymore. You will lose your Brahmanatva and will be inherently banished (if not physically at least consciously) from the Madhva lineage. We cannot afford foolish and dumb situation to continue. STAGE 2: Stop preparing Onion & Garlic at home Onion and Garlic are taamasic in nature, though beneficial to the body, there are alternate satvic sources to replace the sulphur obtained from Garlic (life Saunf). Please be aware that Onion and Garlic is fatal to most animals and all herbivores avoid eating these bulbs. A dog can die in a matter of 1-day if it is fed with either cooked or raw onions. So, you must stop one of the following at home this chaturmaasa 1) Stop making Onion/Garlic at home OR 2) Stop worshiping Saligrama, lighting deepa, etc (supposedly easier) STAGE 3: Stop eating in Hotels/Eateries/Buffet This by far is the most difficult of all. We MUST stop eating in JUNK places like hotels (either VEG or NON-VEG). Being a Brahmin, we CANNOT eat food, which is prepared for PROFIT (though some mutts sell food in the name of hastodaka – but since rama naivedya has happened, it is somewhat acceptable). I am not sure of any hotels, which prepares without onion/garlic. It is not the culture of our Madhvas to go OUT and EAT which has been prepared in by an incompetent sudhra, muslim or chandala. We must eat FOOD prepared only at home or a Matha in Madi.Its easy to write and difficult to practice is what most of you might be thinking and you all also might be thinking whether I myself follow all this or not. YES I try my best not to eat outside food as much as possible until and unless I am on tours on official work. Chaturmasa is very special and strict for me. I make sure that I dont eat/drink anything outside home, and thats the reason its only morning lunch and night supper for me all these 4 months, at least by this way I am away from eating anything outside through out the day.Things cannot be changed overnight.Only if we all try and follow we can succeed. I request all of you to try and follow these minimum things for this 4 months to start with. So what are we waiting for !!! Lets take an oath and pray GOD that give us more strength and will power of not eating outside food.Comments are most welcome.!!! Haraye Namaha !!!-- Kale Balkrishna

Vice President - ITMSMobile : +91-9849042501

visit my blog : http://kalebala.wordpress.com/

Slogan of the day : Please do Sandhyavandane Daily.

Guest guest

Question: why should we stop eating Junk

Food made by Egg etc?

Answer:

It

is definitely NOT a FEAR

factor. As far as Madhva’s system is concerned

every thing is systematic and based upon proof. Infact, Sri Ananda

teertharu before entering into Philosophical debate composed “Pramana

Paddathi and Pramana Lakshana” or simply put “What is a proof

and what are the properties of Proof” In which Sri Acharya explains

indepth about Proof.

Coming

to your question: for which we need to understand what constitutes an veg

and non veg. As far as I know, there is no classification of Veg or Non

Veg. What is there are Satvika, Rajasa and Thamasa Food. In general veg

food classifies as Satvika food. But again it is defined as “In

General” i.e. Subject to some conditions

So

the question comes why we should stop egg/onion based food: Egg

based food is thamasa food. To explain more, for us to survive we need

Food, water and Air. Or in other words, the food we take drives your body

and your mind too. So if we consume good food we get good thoughts. Please

note that your thoughts also depend on your karma. But Karma cannot be

controlled or atleast it is not in our hands to get thoughts based upon

karma. This is entirely depended upon sri Hari’s will. Apart from

Karma food intake drives your mind

One

more question, how to classify Satvika and other categories: The food is

satvika if it is ucchista or prasadam of Sri Hari. Though even in onions

and other foods we do have hari’s presence (sarvatra Vaptha), these

foods are not fit consuming because onions leads to you very bad thoughts or

uncontrollable thoughts. Same is the case with drumsticks. Need more info

on this, watch films where in hero is feed with drumstick sambar that

follows a beautiful song with …So Sri Anandateertharu has classified

the food and gave us path to say this vegetable is consumable and this is

not. In this way we can stay pure and/or we can dedicate most of your life

towards hari bhakthi.

I

guess many of us would have been teased that curd is also a non veg, why

are we consuming. The answer is simple Curd is a satvika food we do not

care whether it is veg or non veg. what we care is whether it is a satvika

or not.

The above gist is from “Sri Geetha

thatparya” published by TTD, written by “Sri Vishveshateertharu of

Pejawar mutt”. For more info please read that book.

Hope this clarifies the doubts.

Thanks and Regards,

Sreenivas.Mullagiri

Ph: 91-80-30292358

MadhwaYuvaParishat

[MadhwaYuvaParishat ] On

Behalf Of Vishwesha

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

8:04 PM

To:

MadhwaYuvaParishat

Re: [MYP] !!! Oath to

control eating junk food !!!

> From my own experience, (self and people around

me - in most cases),

> I am not sure if these `isolated practices' have taken us forward

> towards the desired 'antaHkaraNashuddhi' and would even doubt if its

> the other way. It has been my long struggle to understand this

> puzzle and one of the factors that seems apparent is due to missing

> balance b/n various dharmAs that are mandated. For exmample, we hear

> lot of stress on ekAdashi, cAturmAsya, but hardly attach much value

> to more fundamental dharmas like satya, ahimasA, dayA etc. (refer

> Gita 16 for more. quoted below).

I think thats a very good point. We might be able to understand this

puzzle by looking at some non-madhwas who follow various dietary

restrictions. For example, I have a number of American friends who

follow better vegetarianism than we do (i.e. they are vegans). Of

course, we can also find many Indian examples, like Gandhi whose

dietarics and other acts to control over senses may seem impossible

for regular madhwas. But they seem to make better progress towards

'antaHkaraNashuddhi' with such practices.

I wonder if this has to do with the difference in what is driving them

to follow such practices vs. what is driving regular madhwas for

similar practices? When I asked my American friend, he said veganism

for him is a direct consequence of his conviction on fundamental

values of ahimsa and compassion. I feel that such an conscious

approach based on fundamentals values can make further enhance their

conviction on fundamentals as well as increasing their urge to keep up

their practices (in his own example: he has improved his restrictions

over time).

On the other hand, if I go back to the first message of this thread,

the author said " You will lose your Brahmanatva and will be inherently

banished (if not physically at least consciously) from the Madhva

lineage. We cannot afford foolish and dumb situation to continue. "

The focus here seems to be on the FEAR that something bad will happen

to us we eat eggs and stuff like that. OR its often based on how much

REWARDS (i.e., puNya) we get by following something. But we never see

either of them in our lifetimes. Over the times the attraction to

" junk food " is so much that either the fear or the hope of reward can

not keep us up. Hence we may loose both on following a ritual as well

as any hope of gaining antaHkaraNashuddhi.

So in my view this initiative of resisting " junk foods " should have a

clear understanding of core values, what (and why) we intend to

achieve by them. Such an approach is likely to be far more effective.

Please note that I am not saying that we should entirely discount the

importance of " fear or punya " , but those alone can not be complete or

effective.

regards,

Vishwesha

PS: I should hasten to add that there is an urge among modern madhwas

to come up with 'scientific' reasons for everything, but unfortunately

they end up with really wrong, unscientific and pseudoscientific

arguments.

Guest guest

Hello Mr Balkrishna,

Many thanks for your mail, it is indeed thought provoking and most of us are trying hard to

follow this under prevailing circumstances, I have visited your blog and your musings on our siddantha is laudable

But I have reservations on few of your words, hope you dont take offence out of it,

Plz refer your statement

"It is not the culture of our Madhvas to go OUT and EAT which has been prepared in by an incompetent sudhra, muslim or chandala. We must eat FOOD prepared only at home or a Matha in Madi"

I feel this is a frivolous remark, what kind of bearing it would have on some of the young minds who read it here,this is definitely not in good taste,lets follow our principles with out maligning others,already we Madhvas are painted as conservatives,such statements only reinforces it, cos you never know when the services of the aforesaid people will be required,

a block in the sewage line will be cleared by a sudhra,a treatment on the hospitel bed will be rendered by a christian nurse, a muslim bus driver may take you to mantralaya, none of them follow "madi" albeit we all require their services, and so if possible lets respect others and follow our dharma in our own way.

I dont think so anyone has attained moksha by following strict rituals and practices and leaving aside the basic tenets of mutual admiration in the society, I have always told this and again reiterate that there can be no better instance of honest and sincere Bhakti and devotion than "Kanaka Dasaru" who never followed "Madi" but the lord himself turn around to give darshan to his great disciple, and I dont think so there is any circumstantial evidence to prove that any of our "yathi's" who followed all the practices in the book enjoyed such a previlage from the lord himself.

Not to boast, but let me tell you that I have travelled to many places around the world, even middle east countries,but I have retained the principles set by the elders,I follow ekadashi strictly whereever I am,and also other rituals,I have lived on Bananas and yogurt for many days, since I never consume any kind of food/fruits in a hotel where non-veg is also cooked.

We have several means to follow our culture,without undermining others.

Regards,

Vinay--- On Tue, 7/15/08, Kale Balkrishna <kale1972 wrote:

Kale Balkrishna <kale1972[MYP] !!! Oath to control eating junk food !!!"ITMS Hyderabad" <it_madhva_sangha >, "Madhwa Yuva Parishat" <MadhwaYuvaParishat >, jignaasa , "HDSM" <Help_Deserving_Madhwa_Students >, "uttaradimath-list " <uttaradimath-list >, "madhva.sangha" <madhva.sangha, "VMS" Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 1:30 PM

Namaskara All, Let us all take an oath to stop eating all possible tamasic foods, which severely impacts our sharp minds to act otherwise. We simply must avoid all tamasic food and attain a supreme state of mind. Let us try the following Stages of self control (Stage 1 being easy to Stage 3 being difficult) STAGE 1: Stop eating Eggs (direct) and egg-based preparations. Eggs in any form (as a Madhva I shouldn't have written this, but the prevalence and situation demands so) PLEASE don't eat Egg based cakes, pastries, etc - this is no better than eating boiled eggs. Remember it is not a vegetarian produce and strictly prohibited for Brahmins by our Shastras. I cannot simply emphasis this anymore. You will lose your Brahmanatva and will be inherently banished (if not physically at least consciously) from the Madhva lineage. We cannot afford foolish and dumb

situation to continue. STAGE 2: Stop preparing Onion & Garlic at home Onion and Garlic are taamasic in nature, though beneficial to the body, there are alternate satvic sources to replace the sulphur obtained from Garlic (life Saunf). Please be aware that Onion and Garlic is fatal to most animals and all herbivores avoid eating these bulbs. A dog can die in a matter of 1-day if it is fed with either cooked or raw onions. So, you must stop one of the following at home this

chaturmaasa 1) Stop making Onion/Garlic at home OR 2) Stop worshiping Saligrama, lighting deepa, etc (supposedly easier) STAGE 3: Stop eating in Hotels/Eateries/ Buffet This by far is the most difficult of all. We MUST stop eating in JUNK places like hotels (either VEG or NON-VEG). Being a Brahmin, we CANNOT eat food, which is prepared for PROFIT (though some mutts sell food in the name of hastodaka – but since rama naivedya has happened, it is somewhat

acceptable). I am not sure of any hotels, which prepares without onion/garlic. It is not the culture of our Madhvas to go OUT and EAT which has been prepared in by an incompetent sudhra, muslim or chandala. We must eat FOOD prepared only at home or a Matha in Madi.Its easy to write and difficult to practice is what most of you might be thinking and you all also might be thinking whether I myself follow all this or not. YES I try my best not to eat outside food as much as possible until and unless I am on tours on official work. Chaturmasa is very special and strict for me. I make sure that I dont eat/drink anything outside home, and thats the reason its only morning lunch and night supper for me

all these 4 months, at least by this way I am away from eating anything outside through out the day.Things cannot be changed overnight.Only if we all try and follow we can succeed. I request all of you to try and follow these minimum things for this 4 months to start with. So what are we waiting for !!! Lets take an oath and pray GOD that give us more strength and will power of not eating outside food.Comments are most welcome.!!! Haraye Namaha !!!-- Kale BalkrishnaVice President - ITMSMobile : +91-9849042501visit my blog : http://kalebala. wordpress. com/Slogan of the day : Please do Sandhyavandane Daily.