IndiaDivine.org

[MYP] Correct method of ekadashi vrata

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaskara Hari bhakthare!

{a reply to an email in MYP, Marking other e-groups as well}

Some more points to add on Ekadasi vratha

Ekadasi as Raghunath avru, point out starts from Dashami and ends Dwadasi.

I. The following is the strictest possible way these days:

Dashami > Day time bhojana Followed by alpA ahara/pHalara in the night

Ekadasi > Fasting completely with one time teertha.

Ekadasi Night > JagarNe by Hari nama SaMkeerthane & Bhagvatha Shravana. Most importantly, you HAVE to listen to the mAhatme of that particular ekadashi.

Dwadasi > sakAaLa pAraNe (Check repective panchAngas). Most of them take tiffin between 1 to 4PM. And some of them again take alpA ahara/pHalara in the night.

II. However the IDEAL way as per my LITTLE knowledge is:

Dashami & Dwadasi only once (sAkAaLa bhojana) we are supposed to take meals. And Ekadasi UPAVASA (nirjala, nirahara) followed by jAgarNe - bhajane, shravana, pAaTa, ithyaadhi bhagvath karya gaLu

III. Step By Step:

A. In case you are a healthy Adult/Teenager:

Please start off By Dashami And Dwadashi as per roman number I. On ekadasi you can try only liquids like fruit juice, Milk, Butter Milk, Lime juice etc.

B. Not very healthy/children above 10. And 60 to 80 aged ppl:

Along with those mentioned in the Step A, you may have Fruits.

Let me clarify, there no pramana saying that you have so and so on ekadasi with the exception of AapAath kaala/emergency due to health, Pregnant women, children below 8 years or so (needs correction).

The above Step by step is given just to encourage some like minded people to TRY following the vratha, where in they can practice Strict ekadasi gradually!!

While following the Ekadasi vratha you have to keep the following in the mind{Do's & Dont's}:

1. Esp. on ekadasi Day > do as much as Hari chinthane (it requires no speacial mention that you HAVE to do Hari chinthane round the clock). Ekadasi is very Special!! :)

2. While following this vratha (spanning over three days) avoid sensual pleasures (movies, entertainment, et al)

3. Do not sleep in the afternoons.

4. Wake up early an try to do tri-kaala Sandhya vandhane during Ekadasi vratha.

5. Avoid Coffee,Tea as they are as nishidha as Onion-Garlic.

6. Have only naivedhya yogya food. try preparing it in mAdee. People who cannot, can visit mutts!

There may be some mistakes, please correct them and let me know.

Hare Srinivasa

SudhEe

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Polur Raghunath <sampathgirir wrote:

Namaskara Ananth Avare,   With whatever little knowledge I have I can clarify on the latter part of your query on Ekadashi.

Ekadashi vrata  starts from Dashami itself. You should not take any food on the night of Dashami . Ekadashi fasting has to be total. Not even water should be consumed (except for Achamana during Sandhyavandane)  However for children below 8 years and old and infirm people and pregnant ladies, some relaxation is given in the sense that they can consume milk and fruits. No kind of cooking is allowed. After Dwadashi parane, you should not take anything on Dwadashi night also.

If you feel that this is too much and cannot go through the strict regimen at once, my advice would be to please take the ekadashi fasting step by step. What I mean to say is that you can initially  consume some chappati or uppittu for one time till you get used to it. Once you get used to eating one time, reduce the quantitiy. Once the quantity is reduced, consume only water and stop eating anything. The next step would be to stop drinking water also.  With the  whole process you can get used to within 4-6 Ekadashis.

With the " anugraha of Sri Hari " , the above has been my experience.

Please rest assured, your health will never get upset due to  Ekadashi fasting. Please encourage as many people as you can , to take up Ekadashi Vrata Aacharane.  

If I have written something wrong, I apologise for the same and would like to be corrected by the learned ones.

शà¥à¤°à¥€ हरये नमःS.RAGHUNATH

PLANT A TREE. SAVE THE EARTH. --- On Sat, 8/8/09, ananth shenoy k <ananthshenoyk wrote:

ananth shenoy k <ananthshenoyk[MYP] soyabean and foodswhich are satvic and correct method of ekadashi vrata

MadhwaYuvaParishat Date: Saturday, 8 August, 2009, 9:11 PM

Hare Srinivasa

Namaskara,

can Soyabean and farm grown mushroom ( not wild ones) be considered as Satvic food.

Is there any available source which informs and classifies food as not acceptable for offering to the lord as prasadam. ( it is clearly understood that foods like onion and Garlic cannot be used but I am referring to the other vegetables and fruits)

What is the correct method of performing the ekadashi vratha.

Some elders told me that the correct method is to totally fast after having just some theertha.... .... this is understood. and then follow dwadashi as per prescribed norms.

They also told me that people who cannot totally fast some flexibility as below can be allowed:

1) Just having one meal on ekadashi with chapathi/rava uppittu without rice

2) others told me that we can have nongrain foods like Sabudana, varai, rava uppittu etc on ekadashi as some flexibility.

Can my doubt be clarified as to which is correct and authorized by our acharyas.

Thanks in advance.

regards

ananth

Looking for local information? Find it on Local