IndiaDivine.org

Control/resistance approach, or the non-doing of awareness?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

---- Original message ----

> Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:00:11 -0000

> " new7892001 " <JB789

> Control/resistance

approach, or the non-doing of awareness?

>

>

>

>

> Hello,

>

> One may come to see the illusory nature of `control'

> of life's events in order to be happy, _while_

> inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's

> challenges one wonders whether these apply at all.

>

> To take a simple daily-life occurrence:

> The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from

> children's trampling on carpet-less floor, use of

> hammers, washing machine after the allowed times

> according to the rules-of-the house. One complains

> to administration for years, but no improvement. And

> it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the

> administration office of the building. One of the

> administration-workers advised `if neighbour does

> not show consideration, then –move-`.

> So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while

> the other can carry on. (I probably would, but

> cannot afford it.)

>

> This challenge does generate –images- of these

> people, and of myself being subjected to injustice.

>

> There are times when these mental formations are

> seen and there is a release of the trapped energy

> and so peace/bliss, and other times when the

> `unfair! - keep on fighting'-approach is taking

> over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of

> delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes

> place. Not to mention the frustration of

> no-communication taking place, as shown by the

> brushing aside of the problem by the admin. via

> generalized and strategic avoidance-of-facts

> distorting/manipulative statements, such as " that is

> the way in a building with floors, it is normal to

> hear the neighbour " .

>

> There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of

> living there.

> So it is not just a matter of the

> 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present

> situation, is it?

>

> It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too

> healthy either, unless the awareness is acute enough

> to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or

> prevent it.

>

> What I am trying to say essentially is, that there

> is this dilemma as to whether in such a situation,

> the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is

> `bad'/unjust, is not after all the appropriate one.

> Or is it?

>

> Regards,

> Jb

>

:) welcome to the company, jb.

perhaps this will bof assistance...

whirlpool of despair

caught

in the whirlpool

of despair,

fighting desperately

against the ruthlessly dragging,

spiraling vortex,

convoluting into the abyss -

realize: here force is of no use.

let go.

fearlessly

abandon the engagement.

allow yourself to be drawn inert

into the deep.

lose all dismay in the profundity.

pulled in, forsaking

illusionary selfhood,

merge and blend

into the void… delight!

free at last, see the wonder:

the only way out is through!

_()_

yosy

Dear JB,

In my opinion, just use your intellegent discrimatory power to handle any situation appropriately. There is no need to fight- be more subtle in dealing with problems. If in doubt ask for guidance from your inner guru.

All best wishes,

Alan

--- On Tue, 29/12/09, new7892001 <JB789 wrote:

new7892001 <JB789 Control/resistance approach, or the non-doing of awareness? Date: Tuesday, 29 December, 2009, 17:00

Hello, One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in order to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges one wonders whether these apply at all.To take a simple daily-life occurrence: The (upstairs)-neighbou r makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on carpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed times according to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for years, but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the administration office of the building. One of the administration- workers advised `if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`. So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I probably would, but cannot afford it.)This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being subjected to injustice.There are times when

these mental formations are seen and there is a release of the trapped energy and so peace/bliss, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside of the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of- facts distorting/manipula tive statements, such as "that is the way in a building with floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour".There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present situation, is it? It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless the awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or prevent it.What I am trying to say essentially

is, that there is this dilemma as to whether in such a situation, the `mainstream' -approach to fight what is `bad'/unjust, is not after all the appropriate one. Or is it?Regards,Jb

Dear JB,

There are two possible actions. One is to accept the noise and disturbances, the

other is to move out. The third course, fighting the situation has first course

built into it, that is, you have to bear with the noise as long as you stay

there. Continuing to Stay at the same place and building up negative energy

field with in, is not advisable. It harms us and our own mind and body. Choosing

one of the two actions is a better course of action. Please see what the great

teacher Eckhart Tolle has to say about it in the `Power of Now'. Pages

119,120,121 in the `Power of Now' make a good reading. Page 121/122 read as

follows, please see if it helps:

" There is a novel by Aldous Huxley called Island, written in his later years

when he became very interested in spiritual teachings. It tells the story of a

man shipwrecked on a remote island cut off from the rest of the world. This

island contains a unique civilization. The unusual thing about it is that its

inhabitants, unlike those of the rest of the world, are actually sane. The first

thing that the man notices are the colorful parrots perched in the trees, and

they seem to be constantly croaking the words " Attention. Here and Now.

Attention. Here and Now. " We later learn that the islanders taught them these

words in order to be reminded continuously to stay present.

So whenever you feel negativity arising within you, whether caused by an

external factor, a thought, or even nothing in particular that you are aware of,

look on it as a voice saying `Attention. Here and Now. Wake up. " Even the

slightest irritation is significant and needs to be acknowledged and looked at;

otherwise, there will be a cumulative build-up of unobserved reactions. As I

said before, you may be able to just drop it once you realize that you don't

want to have this energy field inside you and that it serves no purpose. But

then make sure that you drop it completely. If you cannot drop it, just accept

that it is there and take your attention into the feeling, as I pointed out

earlier.

As an alternative to dropping a negative reaction, you can make it disappear by

imagining yourself becoming transparent to the external cause of the reaction. I

recommend that you practice it with little, even trivial, things first. Let's

say that you are sitting quietly at home. Suddenly, there is the penetrating

sound of a car alarm from across the street. Irritation arises. What is the

purpose of the irritation? None whatsoever. Why did you create it? You didn't.

The mind did. It was totally automatic, totally unconscious. Why did the mind

create it? Because it holds the unconscious belief that its resistance, which

you experience as negativity or unhappiness in some form, will somehow dissolve

the undesirable condition. This, of course, is a delusion. The resistance that

it creates, the irritation or anger in this case, is far more disturbing than

the original cause that it is attempting to dissolve.

All this can be transformed into spiritual practice. Feel yourself becoming

transparent, as it were, without the solidity of a material body. Now allow the

noise, or whatever causes a negative reaction, to pass right through you. It is

no longer hitting a solid " wall " inside you. As I said, practice with little

things first. The car alarm, the dog barking, the children screaming, the

traffic jam. Instead of having a wall of resistance inside you that gets

constantly and painfully hit by things that " should not be happening, " let

everything pass through you.

Somebody says something to you that is rude or designed to hurt. Instead of

going into unconscious reaction and negativity, such as attack, defense, or

withdrawal, you let it pass right through you. Offer no resistance. It is as if

there is nobody there to get hurt anymore. That is forgiveness. In this way, you

become invulnerable. You can still tell that person that his or her behavior is

unacceptable, if that is what you choose to do. But that person no longer has

the power to control your inner state. You are then in your power - not in

someone else's, nor are you run by your mind. Whether it is a car alarm, a rude

person, a flood, an earthquake, or the loss of all your posses-sions, the

resistance mechanism is the same. "

Hope this helps.

Love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Ramamohan

, " new7892001 " <JB789 wrote:

>

> Hello,

>

> One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in order

to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges one

wonders whether these apply at all.

>

> The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on

carpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed times

according to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for years,

but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the

administration office of the building. One of the administration-workers advised

`if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`.

> So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I

probably would, but cannot afford it.)

>

> This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being

subjected to injustice.

>

> There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release

of the trapped energy and so peace/bliss, and other times when the `unfair! -

keep on fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex…

of delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the

frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside of

the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of-facts

distorting/manipulative statements, such as " that is the way in a building with

floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour " .

>

> There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.

> So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present

situation, is it?

>

> It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless the

awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or prevent

it.

>

> What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to

whether in such a situation, the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is

`bad'/unjust, is not after all the appropriate one.

> Or is it?

>

> Regards,

> Jb

>

--- On Wed, 30/12/09, Ramamohan <srmnanduri wrote:

Ramamohan <srmnanduri Re: Control/resistance approach, or the non-doing of awareness? Date: Wednesday, 30 December, 2009, 16:22

Dear JB,There are two possible actions. One is to accept the noise and disturbances, the other is to move out. The third course, fighting the situation has first course built into it, that is, you have to bear with the noise as long as you stay there. Continuing to Stay at the same place and building up negative energy field with in, is not advisable. It harms us and our own mind and body. Choosing one of the two actions is a better course of action. Please see what the great teacher Eckhart Tolle has to say about it in the `Power of Now'. Pages 119,120,121 in the `Power of Now' make a good reading. Page 121/122 read as follows, please see if it helps:"There is a novel by Aldous Huxley called Island, written in his later years when he became very interested in spiritual teachings. It tells the story of a man shipwrecked on a remote island cut off from the rest of the world. This island contains a unique civilization. The unusual thing

about it is that its inhabitants, unlike those of the rest of the world, are actually sane. The first thing that the man notices are the colorful parrots perched in the trees, and they seem to be constantly croaking the words "Attention. Here and Now. Attention. Here and Now." We later learn that the islanders taught them these words in order to be reminded continuously to stay present. So whenever you feel negativity arising within you, whether caused by an external factor, a thought, or even nothing in particular that you are aware of, look on it as a voice saying `Attention. Here and Now. Wake up." Even the slightest irritation is significant and needs to be acknowledged and looked at; otherwise, there will be a cumulative build-up of unobserved reactions. As I said before, you may be able to just drop it once you realize that you don't want to have this energy field inside you and that it serves no purpose. But then make sure that you drop it

completely. If you cannot drop it, just accept that it is there and take your attention into the feeling, as I pointed out earlier. As an alternative to dropping a negative reaction, you can make it disappear by imagining yourself becoming transparent to the external cause of the reaction. I recommend that you practice it with little, even trivial, things first. Let's say that you are sitting quietly at home. Suddenly, there is the penetrating sound of a car alarm from across the street. Irritation arises. What is the purpose of the irritation? None whatsoever. Why did you create it? You didn't. The mind did. It was totally automatic, totally unconscious. Why did the mind create it? Because it holds the unconscious belief that its resistance, which you experience as negativity or unhappiness in some form, will somehow dissolve the undesirable condition. This, of course, is a delusion. The resistance that it creates, the irritation or anger in this

case, is far more disturbing than the original cause that it is attempting to dissolve. All this can be transformed into spiritual practice. Feel yourself becoming transparent, as it were, without the solidity of a material body. Now allow the noise, or whatever causes a negative reaction, to pass right through you. It is no longer hitting a solid "wall" inside you. As I said, practice with little things first. The car alarm, the dog barking, the children screaming, the traffic jam. Instead of having a wall of resistance inside you that gets constantly and painfully hit by things that "should not be happening," let everything pass through you. Somebody says something to you that is rude or designed to hurt. Instead of going into unconscious reaction and negativity, such as attack, defense, or withdrawal, you let it pass right through you. Offer no resistance. It is as if there is nobody there to get hurt anymore. That is forgiveness. In this

way, you become invulnerable. You can still tell that person that his or her behavior is unacceptable, if that is what you choose to do. But that person no longer has the power to control your inner state. You are then in your power - not in someone else's, nor are you run by your mind. Whether it is a car alarm, a rude person, a flood, an earthquake, or the loss of all your posses-sions, the resistance mechanism is the same." Hope this helps.Love,Yours in Bhagavan,Ramamohan, "new7892001" <JB789 wrote:>> Hello, > > One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in order to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges one wonders whether

these apply at all.> > To take a simple daily-life occurrence: > The (upstairs)-neighbou r makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on carpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed times according to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for years, but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the administration office of the building. One of the administration- workers advised `if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`. > So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I probably would, but cannot afford it.)> > This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being subjected to injustice.> > There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release of the trapped energy and so peace/bliss, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on

fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside of the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of- facts distorting/manipula tive statements, such as "that is the way in a building with floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour".> > There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.> So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present situation, is it? > > It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless the awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or prevent it.> > What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to whether in such a situation, the `mainstream' -approach to fight what

is `bad'/unjust, is not after all the appropriate one. > Or is it?> > Regards,> Jb>

Thank you and others for your responses.

Am looking into all the pointers.

The aspect of the noise's impact on the nervous system, heart palpitations,

bodily jerking, seem to be -prior- to the psychological reaction, which do come

in a moment later.

And these sudden unexpected shocks, opne cannot prepare for , can one?

And if I do decide to practice something in order for the impact be mellowed,

then I live in anticipation/thought/time, and the issue does seem to intensify

as a problem.

As for moving, problem is I cannot afford it.

And also, it seems to me - as my own and other's experiences seems to indicate,

that perhaps there is no such thing as guarranteed 'other' place which is

silent; even out in the country, one can be disturbed by various noises.

When i was once in Thailand, at a Buddhist jungle monastary, the sounds of the

hundreds of cicadas were so loud, that a getto blaster would've probably lost

the competition. But admittedly, either because of their being natural sounds or

because of 'surrendering' to the situation, as one has to sleep, one fell

asleep.

As the danger from the poisonous snakes, it provided an extra type of

'disturbance'.

And one cannot ignore the fact of the noise' impact, by saying it is 'all

illusion', can one?

A good year to all,

Jb

, " Ramamohan " <srmnanduri wrote:

>

> Dear JB,

> There are two possible actions. One is to accept the noise and disturbances,

the other is to move out. The third course, fighting the situation has first

course built into it, that is, you have to bear with the noise as long as you

stay there. Continuing to Stay at the same place and building up negative energy

field with in, is not advisable. It harms us and our own mind and body. Choosing

>

> " There is a novel by Aldous Huxley called Island, written in his later years

inhabitants, unlike those of the rest of the world, are actually sane. The first

> So whenever you feel negativity arising within you, whether caused by an

external factor, a thought, or even nothing in particular that you are aware of,

earlier.

> As an alternative to dropping a negative reaction, you can make it disappear

by imagining yourself becoming transparent to the external cause of the

reaction. I recommend that you practice it with little, even trivial, things

first. Let's say that you are sitting quietly at home. Suddenly, there is the

penetrating sound of a car alarm from across the street. Irritation arises. What

is the purpose of the irritation? None whatsoever. Why did you create it? You

didn't. The mind did. It was totally automatic, totally unconscious. Why did the

mind create it? Because it holds the unconscious belief that its resistance,

which you experience as negativity or unhappiness in some form, will somehow

dissolve the undesirable condition. This, of course, is a delusion. The

resistance that it creates, the irritation or anger in this case, is far more

disturbing than the original cause that it is attempting to dissolve.

> All this can be transformed into spiritual practice. Feel yourself becoming

> Somebody says something to you that is rude or designed to hurt. Instead of

there is nobody there to get hurt anymore. That is forgiveness. In this way, you

> Hope this helps.

> Love,

> Yours in Bhagavan,

> Ramamohan

>

>

> , " new7892001 " <JB789@> wrote:

> >

> > Hello,

> >

> > One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in

order to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's

challenges one wonders whether these apply at all.

> >

> > To take a simple daily-life occurrence:

> > The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on

administration office of the building. One of the administration-workers advised

> > So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I

> >

> > This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being

subjected to injustice.

> >

> > There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release

keep on fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex…

of delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the

distorting/manipulative statements, such as " that is the way in a building with

> >

> > There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.

> > So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of

actual/present situation, is it?

> >

> > It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless

the awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or

prevent it.

> >

> > What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to

> > Or is it?

> >

> > Regards,

> > Jb

> >

>

new7892001 wrote:

The aspect of the noise's impact on the nervous system, heart palpitations, bodily jerking, seem to be -prior- to the psychological reaction, which do come in a moment later.

And if I do decide to practice something in order for the impact be mellowed, then I live in anticipation/thought/time, and the issue does seem to intensify as a problem.

The issue of sensitiveness to

sound has to be considered in relation to human evolution.

Related to that are the characteristics of the sound: when close, the

so called "attack time"

(time that a sounds grows from inaudible to full volume) is very short.

That is interpreted

by the organism as "immediate threat" so waking up in fight or flight

mode is unavoidable,

and subsequently falling to sleep again, understandably is rather

difficult then.

Sounds with a long attack time OTOH, even when higher in volume than

those with short

attack time, do not pass the threshold for alarm.

And also, it seems to me - as my own and other's experiences seems to indicate, that perhaps there is no such thing as guarranteed 'other' place which is silent; even out in the country, one can be disturbed by various noises. When i was once in Thailand, at a Buddhist jungle monastary, the sounds of the hundreds of cicadas were so loud, that a getto blaster would've probably lost the competition. But admittedly, either because of their being natural sounds or because of 'surrendering' to the situation, as one has to sleep, one fell asleep.

As the danger from the poisonous snakes, it provided an extra type of 'disturbance'.

When going through my

explanation above, the obvious solution is "distance"

because the greater the distance to the source of a sound, the longer

the attack

time. At enough distance, even the neighbor's barking dog no longer

wakes

one up. That the organism responds without "you" being aware of that

happening

till woken up could also be interpreted that it doesn't need a sense of

"me"

(to whom it seems to be happening).

And one cannot ignore the fact of the noise' impact, by saying it is 'all illusion', can one?

Relabeling doesn't offer any

help, the impact of the sound of a barking dog doesn't

change by relabeling it to "meow". Hence when unable to move, the only

solution is

to apply earplugs. They not only attenuate the sound but the

attenuation mechanism

also lengthens the attack time. The best ones are made from bee wax and

cotton fluff.

Eventually you'll have to make them yourself - surely there's a

beekeeper nearby.

Hope this a bit practical.

Regards,

Jan

A good year to all,

Jb

, "Ramamohan" <srmnanduri wrote:

Dear JB,

There are two possible actions. One is to accept the noise and disturbances, the other is to move out. The third course, fighting the situation has first course built into it, that is, you have to bear with the noise as long as you stay there. Continuing to Stay at the same place and building up negative energy field with in, is not advisable. It harms us and our own mind and body. Choosing one of the two actions is a better course of action. Please see what the great teacher Eckhart Tolle has to say about it in the `Power of Now'. Pages 119,120,121 in the `Power of Now' make a good reading. Page 121/122 read as follows, please see if it helps:

"There is a novel by Aldous Huxley called Island, written in his later years when he became very interested in spiritual teachings. It tells the story of a man shipwrecked on a remote island cut off from the rest of the world. This island contains a unique civilization. The unusual thing about it is that its inhabitants, unlike those of the rest of the world, are actually sane. The first thing that the man notices are the colorful parrots perched in the trees, and they seem to be constantly croaking the words "Attention. Here and Now. Attention. Here and Now." We later learn that the islanders taught them these words in order to be reminded continuously to stay present. So whenever you feel negativity arising within you, whether caused by an external factor, a thought, or even nothing in particular that you are aware of, look on it as a voice saying `Attention. Here and Now. Wake up." Even the slightest irritation is significant and needs to be acknowledged and looked at; otherwise, there will be a cumulative build-up of unobserved reactions. As I said before, you may be able to just drop it once you realize that you don't want to have this energy field inside you and that it serves no purpose. But then make sure that you drop it completely. If you cannot drop it, just accept that it is there and take your attention into the feeling, as I pointed out earlier. As an alternative to dropping a negative reaction, you can make it disappear by imagining yourself becoming transparent to the external cause of the reaction. I recommend that you practice it with little, even trivial, things first. Let's say that you are sitting quietly at home. Suddenly, there is the penetrating sound of a car alarm from across the street. Irritation arises. What is the purpose of the irritation? None whatsoever. Why did you create it? You didn't. The mind did. It was totally automatic, totally unconscious. Why did the mind create it? Because it holds the unconscious belief that its resistance, which you experience as negativity or unhappiness in some form, will somehow dissolve the undesirable condition. This, of course, is a delusion. The resistance that it creates, the irritation or anger in this case, is far more disturbing than the original cause that it is attempting to dissolve. All this can be transformed into spiritual practice. Feel yourself becoming transparent, as it were, without the solidity of a material body. Now allow the noise, or whatever causes a negative reaction, to pass right through you. It is no longer hitting a solid "wall" inside you. As I said, practice with little things first. The car alarm, the dog barking, the children screaming, the traffic jam. Instead of having a wall of resistance inside you that gets constantly and painfully hit by things that "should not be happening," let everything pass through you. Somebody says something to you that is rude or designed to hurt. Instead of going into unconscious reaction and negativity, such as attack, defense, or withdrawal, you let it pass right through you. Offer no resistance. It is as if there is nobody there to get hurt anymore. That is forgiveness. In this way, you become invulnerable. You can still tell that person that his or her behavior is unacceptable, if that is what you choose to do. But that person no longer has the power to control your inner state. You are then in your power - not in someone else's, nor are you run by your mind. Whether it is a car alarm, a rude person, a flood, an earthquake, or the loss of all your posses-sions, the resistance mechanism is the same." Hope this helps.

Love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Ramamohan

, "new7892001" <JB789@> wrote:

Hello, One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in order to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges one wonders whether these apply at all.

To take a simple daily-life occurrence: The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on carpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed times according to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for years, but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the administration office of the building. One of the administration-workers advised `if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`. So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I probably would, but cannot afford it.)

This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being subjected to injustice.

There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release of the trapped energy and so peace/bliss, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside of the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of-facts distorting/manipulative statements, such as "that is the way in a building with floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour".

There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.

So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present situation, is it? It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless the awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or prevent it.

What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to whether in such a situation, the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is `bad'/unjust, is not after all the appropriate one. Or is it?

Regards,

Jb

Dear Jb,

During persitent ardent Self Enquiry changes take place all the time.

Gradually vasanas come out, and everything takes places under the guidance,with

grace, under the silent direction of the Inner-Guru so that your nervous system

will eventually be able to bear the Absolute Pure Consiounses Bliss of Self

Realisation when it takes place.

Meanwhile bear with it Prince! as Lord Krishna told Arjuna. Bhagavan answered

questions such as yours and are recorded in David Godman's 'Be As You Are' in

Chapter 16 called Problems and Experiences.

Broadly his message was to persist zealously, and all will come right in the

end. You are endeavouring to remove the identification with the body and mind so

it causes some strain and minor discomforts as the nadis are churned by the Atma

Vichara churning stick.

Yours in Bhagavan's Grace,

With love,

Alan

--- On Sat, 2/1/10, new7892001 <JB789 wrote:

new7892001 <JB789

Re: Control/resistance approach, or the

non-doing of awareness?

Saturday, 2 January, 2010, 14:39

The aspect of the noise's impact on the nervous system, heart palpitations,

in a moment later.

And if I do decide to practice something in order for the impact be mellowed,

then I live in anticipation/ thought/time, and the issue does seem to intensify

as a problem.

And also, it seems to me - as my own and other's experiences seems to indicate,

that perhaps there is no such thing as guarranteed 'other' place which is

silent; even out in the country, one can be disturbed by various noises.

When i was once in Thailand, at a Buddhist jungle monastary, the sounds of the

the

competition. But admittedly, either because of their being natural sounds or

asleep.

As the danger from the poisonous snakes, it provided an extra type of

'disturbance' .

And one cannot ignore the fact of the noise' impact, by saying it is 'all

illusion', can one?

A good year to all,

Jb

, " Ramamohan " <srmnanduri@ ...> wrote:

>

> Dear JB,

> There are two possible actions. One is to accept the noise and disturbances,

stay there. Continuing to Stay at the same place and

building up negative energy field with in, is not advisable. It harms us and

our own mind and body. Choosing one of the two actions is a better course of

action. Please see what the great teacher Eckhart Tolle has to say about it in

the `Power of Now'. Pages 119,120,121 in the `Power of Now' make a good reading.

Page 121/122 read as follows, please see if it helps:

>

> " There is a novel by Aldous Huxley called Island, written in his later years

Attention. Here and Now. " We later learn

that the islanders taught them these words in order to be reminded continuously

to stay present.

> So whenever you feel negativity arising within you, whether caused by an

earlier.

> As an alternative to dropping a negative reaction, you can make it disappear

penetrating sound of a car alarm from across the street. Irritation arises. What

didn't. The mind did. It was totally automatic, totally unconscious. Why did the

> All this can be transformed into spiritual practice. Feel yourself becoming

noise, or whatever causes a

negative reaction, to pass right through you. It is no longer hitting a solid

" wall " inside you. As I said, practice with little things first. The car alarm,

the dog barking, the children screaming, the traffic jam. Instead of having a

wall of resistance inside you that gets constantly and painfully hit by things

that " should not be happening, " let everything pass through you.

> Somebody says something to you that is rude or designed to hurt. Instead of

someone else's, nor are you run

by your mind. Whether it is a car alarm, a rude person, a flood, an earthquake,

or the loss of all your posses-sions, the resistance mechanism is the same. "

> Hope this helps.

> Love,

> Yours in Bhagavan,

> Ramamohan

>

>

> , " new7892001 " <JB789@> wrote:

> >

> > Hello,

> >

> >

> > The (upstairs)-neighbou r makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on

carpet-less floor, use of hammers,

washing machine after the allowed times according to the rules-of-the house.

One complains to administration for years, but no improvement. And it is so,

that the neighbour is employed by the administration office of the building. One

of the administration- workers advised `if neighbour does not show

consideration, then –move-`.

> > So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I

> >

subjected to injustice.

> >

> > There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release

keep on fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a

vortex… of delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to

mention the frustration of

no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside of the problem by

the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of- facts distorting/manipula

tive statements, such as " that is the way in a building with floors, it is

normal to hear the neighbour " .

> >

> >

prevent it.

> >

whether in such a situation, the `mainstream' -approach to fight what is

> > Or is it?

> >

> > Regards,

> >

Jb

> >

>

Dear JB,

I fully understand your unhappiness with unwanted noises. What you say is

indeed true. First thing that happens when we hear a sudden loud sound is that

we are startled. It is because usually we are not present, but mind occupied.

Then there is a reaction. The less negative the reaction is, the sooner the body

normalizes. Reaction indeed compounds the trouble. If we are present we become

alert but are not startled.

As you rightly pointed anticipation is worse. There is no need to anticipate

noise. Anticipation is a state of waiting. That is also a mind occupied state

and equally taxing.

Have you tried meditation in noisy, busy places? The suggestion looks funny, but

you may soon notice that noises do not disturb you as much. Who can anticipate

the events as they unfold? Noise is one of them.

Accepting the noise is surrender. But it may be hard to do because we do not

like it. One way of looking at the matter is that god has placed those

neighbors. Thank the lord whole heartedly for his generosity and kindness, tell

him that you are happy with what he has given you and pray him till you

genuinely begin to feel happy with his dispensation. Thank the neighbor. This

another way of accepting what is happening, a way of surrendering.

What is experienced by some is that when the inner resistance ceases and

acceptance happens, the outer situation changes for the better, it may not

change the way we want it to change, but it become harmonious or our inner state

becomes more harmonious.

Here is a woderful example, from David Godman's interviews.

Maalok: Surrender to God or the Guru is rare in today's times. But you have

mentioned that in your life quite often you simply had to surrender. Could you

give some incidents from your life that illustrate the feeling of surrender to

destiny?

David: We all think that we are in charge of our lives, that we are responsible

for our well-being and the well-being of our dependents. We might acknowledge at

a theoretical level that God is in charge of the world, that God does

everything, but that doesn't stop us planning and scheming and doing. Sometimes,

we find something we

can't control – a child may be dying of leukemia despite the best medical

treatment – so we turn to God and ask for divine intervention. This is not

surrender; it's just more doing. It's seeking an extra resource when all the

traditional ones have failed.

Surrender is different. It's acknowledging that God runs the world every minute

of every day, that He is not just an extra resource, a deus ex machina that one

turns to in times of need. Surrender is not asking that things be different; it

is acceptance and gratitude for things being the way they are. It's not a

grit-your-teeth stoicism either; it's the experience of joy in God's

dispensation, whatever it might be.

About twenty years ago I read a Christian book entitled Thank You God. Its basic

thesis was that one should continuously thank God for the way things are right

now, not petition Him for things to be different. That means thanking Him for

all the terrible things that are going on in your life, not just thanking Him

for the good stuff that is coming your way. And this should not just be at the

verbal level. One needs to keep saying `Thank you, God' to oneself until one

actually feels a glow of gratitude. When this happens, there are remarkable and

unexpected consequences. Let me give you an example.

There was a woman featured in this book whose husband was an alcoholic. She had

organized prayer meetings at her local church in which everyone had prayed to

God, asking Him to stop this man from drinking. Nothing happened. Then this

woman heard about `Thank you, God'. She thought, `Well. Nothing else has worked.

Let me try this.'

She started saying, `Thank you God for making my husband an alcoholic,' and she

kept on saying it until she actually began to feel gratitude inside. Shortly

afterwards, her husband stopped drinking of his own accord and never touched

alcohol again.

This is surrender. It's not saying, `Excuse me God, but I know better than You,

so

would You please make this happen'. It's acknowledging, `The world is the way

You want it to be, and I thank You for it'. When this happens in your life,

seemingly miraculous things start happening

around you. The power of your own surrender, your own gratitude, actually

changes the things around you.

When I first read about this, I thought, `This is weird, but it just might work.

Let me try it.' At that point in my life, I had been having problems with four

or five people whom I was trying to do business with. Despite daily reminders,

they were not doing things they had promised to do. I sat down and started

saying `Thank you Mr. X for not doing this job. Thank you Mr. Y for trying to

cheat me on that last deal we did,' and so on. I did this for a couple of hours

until I finally did feel a strong sense of gratitude towards these people. When

their image came up in my mind, I didn't remember all the frustrations I had

experienced in dealing with them. I just had an image of them in my mind towards

which I felt gratitude and acceptance.

The next morning, when I went to work, all of these people were waiting for me.

Usually, I had to go hunting for them in order to listen to their latest excuse.

All of them were smiling, and all of them had done the jobs I had been pestering

them for days to

do. It was an astonishing testimonial to the power of loving acceptance. Like

everyone else, I am still stuck in the world of doing-doing-doing, but when all

my misguided doings have produced an intractable mess, I try to drop my belief

that `I' have to do

something to solve this problem, and start thanking God for the mess I have made

for myself. A few minutes of this is usually enough to resolve the thorniest of

problems.

Love

Yours in Bhagavan

Ramamohan

, " new7892001 " <JB789 wrote:

>

> Thank you and others for your responses.

> Am looking into all the pointers.

>

> The aspect of the noise's impact on the nervous system, heart palpitations,

in a moment later.

> And these sudden unexpected shocks, opne cannot prepare for , can one?

> And if I do decide to practice something in order for the impact be mellowed,

then I live in anticipation/thought/time, and the issue does seem to intensify

as a problem.

>

> As for moving, problem is I cannot afford it.

> And also, it seems to me - as my own and other's experiences seems to

indicate, that perhaps there is no such thing as guarranteed 'other' place which

is silent; even out in the country, one can be disturbed by various noises.

> When i was once in Thailand, at a Buddhist jungle monastary, the sounds of the

the competition. But admittedly, either because of their being natural sounds or

asleep.

> As the danger from the poisonous snakes, it provided an extra type of

> 'disturbance'.

>

> And one cannot ignore the fact of the noise' impact, by saying it is 'all

illusion', can one?

>

> A good year to all,

> Jb

>

>

>

> , " Ramamohan " <srmnanduri@> wrote:

> >

> > Dear JB,

> > There are two possible actions. One is to accept the noise and disturbances,

stay there. Continuing to Stay at the same place and building up negative energy

> >

> > " There is a novel by Aldous Huxley called Island, written in his later years

> > So whenever you feel negativity arising within you, whether caused by an

earlier.

> > As an alternative to dropping a negative reaction, you can make it disappear

> > All this can be transformed into spiritual practice. Feel yourself becoming

> > Somebody says something to you that is rude or designed to hurt. Instead of

> > Hope this helps.

> > Love,

> > Yours in Bhagavan,

> > Ramamohan

> >

> >

> > , " new7892001 " <JB789@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hello,

> > >

> > > One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in

> > >

> > > To take a simple daily-life occurrence:

> > > The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on

> > > So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on.

(I probably would, but cannot afford it.)

> > >

> > > This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being

subjected to injustice.

> > >

> > > There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a

release of the trapped energy and so peace/bliss, and other times when the

`unfair! - keep on fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked

in a vortex… of delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not

to mention the frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the

brushing aside of the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic

avoidance-of-facts distorting/manipulative statements, such as " that is the way

in a building with floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour " .

> > >

> > > There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.

> > > So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of

> > >

> > > It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless

prevent it.

> > >

> > > What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to

> > > Or is it?

> > >

> > > Regards,

> > > Jb

> > >

> >

>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

One hears much of 'reaction-free awareness', as an approach to life, as a

recommended alternative to the egoic fighting-stance.

One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in order

to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges one

To take a simple daily-life occurrence:

The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on

So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I

This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being

subjected to injustice.

There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release of

the trapped energy and so peace, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on

fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of

delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the

There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.

So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present

situation, is it?

It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless the

it.

What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to whether

in such a situation, the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is `bad'/unjust, is

not after all the appropriate one.

Or is it?

Regards,

Jb

Dear JB

have no idea about your spiritual inclination and path.

Thank you for your posting.

What i post i my personal experience since decades.

Everything we encounter has a meaning - is sent by the "SourceEnergyGDLOVE" "SELF" how you like to call that what makes me tick.

It is written in the Jewish Bible: no hair can be lost, no leaf drop from a tree without this source "knowing" it

So everything we encounter in life is a LESSON for us.

If you want to confront others when they disturb you it depends in which mood you are. In the mood of resistance you provoke "war", in the mood of acceptance of the other as he is actually has a calming effect.

Justice like you and i did seek is just a theoretical matter of no value at all - and if you look at "worlds happenings" and personal "happenings" you will realize this too.

Whatever we experience should lead those "souls" who are ready for it!!! to search for TRUTH, to search for the meaning of their existence and to ask themselves who they really are.

The holy question WHO AM I leads everyone who REALLY wants to know "back home".

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

new7892001

Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:25 PM

Control/resistance approach, or the non-doing of awareness?

Hello,One hears much of 'reaction-free awareness', as an approach to life, as arecommended alternative to the egoic fighting-stance.One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in orderto be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges onewonders whether these apply at all.To take a simple daily-life occurrence:The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling oncarpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed timesaccording to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for years,but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by theadministration office of the building. One of the administration-workers advised`if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`.So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (Iprobably would, but cannot afford it.)This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself beingsubjected to injustice.There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release ofthe trapped energy and so peace, and other times when the `unfair! - keep onfighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… ofdelusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention thefrustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside ofthe problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of-factsdistorting/manipulative statements, such as "that is the way in a building withfloors, it is normal to hear the neighbour".There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/presentsituation, is it?The mantra "it is all illusion" does not work.It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless theawareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or preventit.What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to whetherin such a situation, the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is `bad'/unjust, isnot after all the appropriate one.Or is it?Regards,Jb

Nisargadatta , " new7892001 " <JB789 wrote:

>

>

> Hello,

>

> One hears much of 'reaction-free awareness', as an approach to life, as a

> recommended alternative to the egoic fighting-stance.

>

> One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in order

> to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges

one

> wonders whether these apply at all.

>

> carpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed times

> according to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for

years,

> but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the

> administration office of the building. One of the administration-workers

advised

> `if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`.

> probably would, but cannot afford it.)

>

> subjected to injustice.

>

of

> the trapped energy and so peace, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on

> fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of

> delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the

> frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside

of

> the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of-facts

> distorting/manipulative statements, such as " that is the way in a building

with

> floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour " .

>

> So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present

> situation, is it?

>

> It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless the

> awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or

prevent

> it.

>

whether

> in such a situation, the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is `bad'/unjust,

is

> not after all the appropriate one.

> Or is it?

>

> Regards,

> Jb

What happens as awareness is of one single moment, is undivided, and the

awareness of the moment, is the entirety of the moment?

Where are you going with it?

What are you going to make happen in it?

Are you a happening in it, acting for and against other happenings in it?

- Dan -

Nisargadatta , " dan330033 " <dan330033 wrote:

>

>

>

> Nisargadatta , " new7892001 " <JB789@> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Hello,

> >

> > One hears much of 'reaction-free awareness', as an approach to life, as a

> > recommended alternative to the egoic fighting-stance.

> >

order

> > to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges

one

> > wonders whether these apply at all.

> >

> > The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on

> > carpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed times

> > according to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for

years,

> > but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the

> > administration office of the building. One of the administration-workers

advised

> > `if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`.

> > probably would, but cannot afford it.)

> >

> > subjected to injustice.

> >

of

> > the trapped energy and so peace, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on

> > fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of

> > delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention

the

> > frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside

of

> > the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of-facts

> > distorting/manipulative statements, such as " that is the way in a building

with

> > floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour " .

> >

actual/present

> > situation, is it?

> >

the

> > awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or

prevent

> > it.

> >

whether

> > in such a situation, the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is

`bad'/unjust, is

> > not after all the appropriate one.

> > Or is it?

> >

> > Regards,

> > Jb

>

>

> What happens as awareness is of one single moment, is undivided, and the

awareness of the moment, is the entirety of the moment?

>

> Where are you going with it?

>

> What are you going to make happen in it?

>

> Are you a happening in it, acting for and against other happenings in it?

>

>

> - Dan -

LOL!

is the bloom of the divine floral bouquet swirling amidst you?

are you aware of the astral aroma of dabbo's bullshit aura?

is it all happening for you?

can you smoothly descend into his bullshit Choiceless Blissness?

in the singularity of dabbo's Incredible Bullshit Hallowed Being..

and it's incredibly pompous stupidity..

is Peace being lost for you?

does the treacly crap of dabbo's obsequious questions..

lift you beyond measure to the 7th Heaven made manifest as:

" I can't believe this asshole. "

is it apparent that dabbo likes to play pretend that he's a guru?

are you feeling sick to your stomach but also ready to laugh at him?

does his pestering you with nutzoid 1970's..

ridiculous " Personal Enlightenment Training " (heehee!)..

stun you and make you think:

" where the hell is this pipsqueak coming from anyway? "

maybe you have already become enlightened then.

maybe you can not only laugh at him..before he makes you vomit..

and also tell him to stick that silly shit back up his ass.

LOL!

..b b.b.

[...]

>

> Or is it?

>

> Regards,

> Jb

>

Depends on what you really want to achieve. Do you want to:

- Achieve temporary inner peace?

- Achieve long-term mastery over your emotions?

- Use this to test and experiment with yourself?

- Use this to test the limits of your inner peace and acceptance?

- Use this as an exercise in acceptance and surrender?

- Use this energy to motivate yourself work harder and smarter and to earn more

so that you can afford a quieter place?

- Start a movement to attract greater awareness and attention towards such

issues?

- Plot a way to make your neighbors move, irrespective how many tries and effort

it takes?

- Use your mind to think of the ways return the favors?

During India's freedom movement, many leaders including Gandhi and Nehru where

jailed for long periods. Most of them used it to read more and to write books.

With best wishes,

ac

Nisargadatta , " ac " <adithya_comming wrote:

>

> [...]

>

>

> >

> > Or is it?

> >

> > Regards,

> > Jb

> >

>

>

> Depends on what you really want to achieve. Do you want to:

>

> - Achieve temporary inner peace?

>

> - Achieve long-term mastery over your emotions?

>

> - Use this to test and experiment with yourself?

>

> - Use this to test the limits of your inner peace and acceptance?

>

> - Use this as an exercise in acceptance and surrender?

>

> - Use this energy to motivate yourself work harder and smarter and to earn

more so that you can afford a quieter place?

>

> - Start a movement to attract greater awareness and attention towards such

issues?

>

> - Plot a way to make your neighbors move, irrespective how many tries and

effort it takes?

>

> - Use your mind to think of the ways return the favors?

or, do you want to try and see if it is really possible to love your enemies?

regards,

ac

>

>

> During India's freedom movement, many leaders including Gandhi and Nehru where

jailed for long periods. Most of them used it to read more and to write books.

>

> With best wishes,

> ac

>

When someone desires sex and engages in it with his/her will, it is quite an

enjoyable experience. Sex when it is forced without will is a rape and is

torturous and painful.

When you like and desire someone and he/she comes close, it can be a very

pleasant experience. The very same person, if you no longer desire him/her and

he/she comes close - it can be an invasion of privacy.

Hunger can be a very painful experience. Yet, many fast willingly and regularly

and suffer little to no mental anguish because of it. They choose to stay hungry

for a while.

There are many people in the world who suffer because they don't have enough

things - iPod, iPhone, car, TV, blue ray player. Gandhi chose to live a very

simple life devoid of most consumer goods and perhaps, suffered no mental

anguish because of it.

I have cold and slight fever and I am lying in bed. This experience can easily

be problematic and is likely problematic for many people. However, one of my

friend says he greatly enjoy this experience because it allows him to relax and

rest without feeling guilty. He gets to stay in bed, be served tea and soup and

read or watch TV. He finds it very relaxing and rejuvenating experience.

Many people suffer when they don't get to watch TV. Many choose to not watch TV

and enjoy not watching TV.

IOW... many situations have a predictable reaction and response and majority of

people often behave that way. However, the response/reaction can be also

changed by changing expectations and outlook.

http://www.numii.net/word_press/gurus/byron-katie

I'm a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts

when I argue with reality.

~ Byron Katie

http://www.sapphyr.net/women/women-quotes-byronkatie.htm

http://www.thework.com/index.asp

http://www.byronkatie.com/

http://www.instituteforthework.com/

[NNB]

Nisargadatta , " new7892001 " <JB789 wrote:

>

>

> Hello,

>

> One hears much of 'reaction-free awareness', as an approach to life, as a

recommended alternative to the egoic fighting-stance.

>

>

>

subjected to injustice.

>

of the trapped energy and so peace, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on

fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of

delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the

>

situation, is it?

>

it.

>

> Or is it?

>

> Regards,

> Jb

>

Dear jB,

One must act intelligently in these situations by using your intellectual discrimination. Acting aggressively is wrong as it brings a counter reaction.

Speak to them quietly and explain how the disturbance is greatly upsetting your peace, and/or write to them again. If they don't respond make a further strong complaint to the local authority.

Evenbtually you may have to consider moving.

Best wishes amd warm regards,

Alan

--- On Thu, 14/1/10, new7892001 <JB789 wrote:

new7892001 <JB789 Control/resistance approach, or the non-doing of awareness? Date: Thursday, 14 January, 2010, 16:25

Hello,One hears much of 'reaction-free awareness', as an approach to life, as arecommended alternative to the egoic fighting-stance.One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in orderto be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges onewonders whether these apply at all.To take a simple daily-life occurrence:The (upstairs)-neighbou r makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling oncarpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed timesaccording to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for years,but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by theadministration office of the building. One of the administration- workers advised`if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`.So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (Iprobably

would, but cannot afford it.)This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself beingsubjected to injustice.There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release ofthe trapped energy and so peace, and other times when the `unfair! - keep onfighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… ofdelusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention thefrustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside ofthe problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of- factsdistorting/manipula tive statements, such as "that is the way in a building withfloors, it is normal to hear the neighbour".There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/presentsituation, is it?The mantra "it is all

illusion" does not work.It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless theawareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or preventit.What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to whetherin such a situation, the `mainstream' -approach to fight what is `bad'/unjust, isnot after all the appropriate one.Or is it?Regards,Jb

Nisargadatta , " ac " <adithya_comming wrote:

>

>

>

>

> Nisargadatta , " ac " <adithya_comming@> wrote:

> >

> > [...]

> >

> >

> > >

> > > What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to

> > > Or is it?

> > >

> > > Regards,

> > > Jb

> > >

> >

> >

> > Depends on what you really want to achieve. Do you want to:

> >

> > - Achieve temporary inner peace?

> >

> > - Achieve long-term mastery over your emotions?

> >

> > - Use this to test and experiment with yourself?

> >

> > - Use this to test the limits of your inner peace and acceptance?

> >

> > - Use this as an exercise in acceptance and surrender?

> >

> > - Use this energy to motivate yourself work harder and smarter and to earn

more so that you can afford a quieter place?

> >

> > - Start a movement to attract greater awareness and attention towards such

issues?

> >

> > - Plot a way to make your neighbors move, irrespective how many tries and

effort it takes?

> >

> > - Use your mind to think of the ways return the favors?

>

>

>

> or, do you want to try and see if it is really possible to love your enemies?

I once had an upstairs neighbour who would play music very loud

during the day plus in the evenings and we could barely hear our

own thoughts; we went and told him and he promised to lower the

noise and it was sort of okay; then one day I received a letter

where to sign a complaint from some of the other neighbours that

the tenant be thrown out of the building and the poor guy thought

I'd filed the complaint which I had not no; and I wrote a letter

to the company and told them was not me had filed the complaint

and besides the upstairs neighbour was a fine neighbour and did

not make any more noise in general than the rest of them tenants

sour and old grouchos and ourselves too with kids playing around

and playing music instruments both the piano and the silveryflute

and it was hilarious to behave the way they did and the result of

this defense was that the upstairser was allowed to stay, hurray!

This is NOTHING to do with JB of course not ahem just an example

of how to love you enemy - because you have to - because you are

NO BETTER than the neigbour - in fact, if I were to put it a non-

dualistical way - we ARE the neighbour exclamation mark

Yours etc

-Lene

> regards,

> ac

>

>

> >

> >

> > During India's freedom movement, many leaders including Gandhi and Nehru

where jailed for long periods. Most of them used it to read more and to write

books.

> >

> > With best wishes,

> > ac

> >

>

Dear JB:

You have just posted ( /message/52214 ) which I think is a repost of this message below.

If you go to this link, you can re-read the response messages sent to you by this group about one month ago...

/message/52100

In His Service,

Radhe

-

new7892001

Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:39 AM

Re: Control/resistance approach, or the non-doing of awareness?

Thank you and others for your responses.Am looking into all the pointers.The aspect of the noise's impact on the nervous system, heart palpitations, bodily jerking, seem to be -prior- to the psychological reaction, which do come in a moment later.And these sudden unexpected shocks, opne cannot prepare for , can one?And if I do decide to practice something in order for the impact be mellowed, then I live in anticipation/thought/time, and the issue does seem to intensify as a problem.As for moving, problem is I cannot afford it.And also, it seems to me - as my own and other's experiences seems to indicate, that perhaps there is no such thing as guarranteed 'other' place which is silent; even out in the country, one can be disturbed by various noises. When i was once in Thailand, at a Buddhist jungle monastary, the sounds of the hundreds of cicadas were so loud, that a getto blaster would've probably lost the competition. But admittedly, either because of their being natural sounds or because of 'surrendering' to the situation, as one has to sleep, one fell asleep.As the danger from the poisonous snakes, it provided an extra type of 'disturbance'.And one cannot ignore the fact of the noise' impact, by saying it is 'all illusion', can one?A good year to all,Jb , "Ramamohan" <srmnanduri wrote:>> Dear JB,> There are two possible actions. One is to accept the noise and disturbances, the other is to move out. The third course, fighting the situation has first course built into it, that is, you have to bear with the noise as long as you stay there. Continuing to Stay at the same place and building up negative energy field with in, is not advisable. It harms us and our own mind and body. Choosing one of the two actions is a better course of action. Please see what the great teacher Eckhart Tolle has to say about it in the `Power of Now'. Pages 119,120,121 in the `Power of Now' make a good reading. Page 121/122 read as follows, please see if it helps:> > "There is a novel by Aldous Huxley called Island, written in his later years when he became very interested in spiritual teachings. It tells the story of a man shipwrecked on a remote island cut off from the rest of the world. This island contains a unique civilization. The unusual thing about it is that its inhabitants, unlike those of the rest of the world, are actually sane. The first thing that the man notices are the colorful parrots perched in the trees, and they seem to be constantly croaking the words "Attention. Here and Now. Attention. Here and Now." We later learn that the islanders taught them these words in order to be reminded continuously to stay present. > So whenever you feel negativity arising within you, whether caused by an external factor, a thought, or even nothing in particular that you are aware of, look on it as a voice saying `Attention. Here and Now. Wake up." Even the slightest irritation is significant and needs to be acknowledged and looked at; otherwise, there will be a cumulative build-up of unobserved reactions. As I said before, you may be able to just drop it once you realize that you don't want to have this energy field inside you and that it serves no purpose. But then make sure that you drop it completely. If you cannot drop it, just accept that it is there and take your attention into the feeling, as I pointed out earlier. > As an alternative to dropping a negative reaction, you can make it disappear by imagining yourself becoming transparent to the external cause of the reaction. I recommend that you practice it with little, even trivial, things first. Let's say that you are sitting quietly at home. Suddenly, there is the penetrating sound of a car alarm from across the street. Irritation arises. What is the purpose of the irritation? None whatsoever. Why did you create it? You didn't. The mind did. It was totally automatic, totally unconscious. Why did the mind create it? Because it holds the unconscious belief that its resistance, which you experience as negativity or unhappiness in some form, will somehow dissolve the undesirable condition. This, of course, is a delusion. The resistance that it creates, the irritation or anger in this case, is far more disturbing than the original cause that it is attempting to dissolve. > All this can be transformed into spiritual practice. Feel yourself becoming transparent, as it were, without the solidity of a material body. Now allow the noise, or whatever causes a negative reaction, to pass right through you. It is no longer hitting a solid "wall" inside you. As I said, practice with little things first. The car alarm, the dog barking, the children screaming, the traffic jam. Instead of having a wall of resistance inside you that gets constantly and painfully hit by things that "should not be happening," let everything pass through you. > Somebody says something to you that is rude or designed to hurt. Instead of going into unconscious reaction and negativity, such as attack, defense, or withdrawal, you let it pass right through you. Offer no resistance. It is as if there is nobody there to get hurt anymore. That is forgiveness. In this way, you become invulnerable. You can still tell that person that his or her behavior is unacceptable, if that is what you choose to do. But that person no longer has the power to control your inner state. You are then in your power - not in someone else's, nor are you run by your mind. Whether it is a car alarm, a rude person, a flood, an earthquake, or the loss of all your posses-sions, the resistance mechanism is the same." > Hope this helps.> Love,> Yours in Bhagavan,> Ramamohan> > > , "new7892001" <JB789@> wrote:> >> > Hello, > > > > One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in order to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges one wonders whether these apply at all.> > > > To take a simple daily-life occurrence: > > The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on carpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed times according to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for years, but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the administration office of the building. One of the administration-workers advised `if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`. > > So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I probably would, but cannot afford it.)> > > > This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being subjected to injustice.> > > > There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release of the trapped energy and so peace/bliss, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside of the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of-facts distorting/manipulative statements, such as "that is the way in a building with floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour".> > > > There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.> > So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present situation, is it? > > > > It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless the awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or prevent it.> > > > What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to whether in such a situation, the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is `bad'/unjust, is not after all the appropriate one. > > Or is it?> > > > Regards,> > Jb> >>

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.431 / Virus Database: 270.14.124/2596 - Release 01/01/10 09:20:00

Dear JB,

Nothing wrong with fighting. You have been fighting externally, because you have complained to the administration, and fighting internally with yourself by resenting the disturbance. The one secret is that resistance prolongs the fruits of karma to be experienced longer.

Upadesa saram verse 2 says,

`The fruit of action passes.

But action leaves behind

Seed of further action

Leading to an endless ocean of action;

Not at all to moksha."

When one accepts whole heartedly the situation and thanks the Lord for providing one with the situation and when the thanking is done because one genuinely begins to experience happiness even in this unacceptable situation because one has surrendered, then probably one's karma is fully fulfilled.

If it is the lords will,

they may be removed from the scene.

or, you may be removed mysteriously even if you don't have funds,

or, if the karma is not completed, You both may continue to remain.

Usually, this kind of surrender advise does not go well. One may fight and may have a win at the end, sooner or later on time scale. One may say ` I won!', but one suffers till one's quota of suffering is experienced. Why not be happy for the noise and send a signal to the Lord that you finished your quota of suffering. Please consider this proposition. Stoppage of noise is His Grace, but Noise too is His Grace. That means that you cannot be happy with the noise and tell him to stop the noise. God's terms are non bargainable !!!

I know that noise disturbs. Only the experiencer can say how much it really disturbs. But inner resitance to it adds bodily reactions to the diaturabance already felt and worsens the poor body's condtion even more as long as the disturabance is felt. Pardon me for this suggestion which is a repeat of earlier one.

Love

Yours in Bhagavan

Ramamohan , "new7892001" <JB789 wrote:>> > Hello,> > One hears much of 'reaction-free awareness', as an approach to life, as a> recommended alternative to the egoic fighting-stance.> > One may come to see the illusory nature of `control' of life's events in order> to be happy, _while_ inquiring/seeing; but in the midst of life's challenges one> wonders whether these apply at all.> > To take a simple daily-life occurrence:> The (upstairs)-neighbour makes noise. Shocks from children's trampling on> carpet-less floor, use of hammers, washing machine after the allowed times> according to the rules-of-the house. One complains to administration for years,> but no improvement. And it is so, that the neighbour is employed by the> administration office of the building. One of the administration-workers advised> `if neighbour does not show consideration, then –move-`.> So, the one exposed to noise 'should move', while the other can carry on. (I> probably would, but cannot afford it.)> > This challenge does generate –images- of these people, and of myself being> subjected to injustice.> > There are times when these mental formations are seen and there is a release of> the trapped energy and so peace, and other times when the `unfair! - keep on> fighting'-approach is taking over, and so the `being sucked in a vortex… of> delusion' with subsequent drainage of energy, takes place. Not to mention the> frustration of no-communication taking place, as shown by the brushing aside of> the problem by the admin. via generalized and strategic avoidance-of-facts> distorting/manipulative statements, such as "that is the way in a building with> floors, it is normal to hear the neighbour".> > There is a daily challenge reminded thru the fact of living there.> So it is not just a matter of the 'past'-recollection devoid of actual/present> situation, is it?> The mantra "it is all illusion" does not work.> > It (the noise and reaction) does not seem to be too healthy either, unless the> awareness is acute enough to dissolve the absorption into the vortex or prevent> it.> > What I am trying to say essentially is, that there is this dilemma as to whether> in such a situation, the `mainstream'-approach to fight what is `bad'/unjust, is> not after all the appropriate one.> Or is it?> > Regards,> Jb>