IndiaDivine.org

Meaning of the terms ‘yAga’ and ‘homa’.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

yAga is defined as- devatoddeshena dravyatyAgaH--Meaning—yAga is dedication of some substance to a deity.homa is defined as—tasya agnau prakShepaH homaH--Meaning- Offering that substance into the sacrificial fire is homaHumble praNAms Sri Shastri prabhujiHare KrishnaThanks a lot for sharing the meaning of yAga & hOma...If you could permit me I would like to add my understanding based on vaidika (mainly pUrva ) saMpradAya : Normally Shrouta karma-s those ordained by the vedas, such as soma, garuda chayana, ashvamedha, nakshatrEshTi, etc. have the suffix yAga..for example we say sOma yAga not sOma hOma..etc. Likewise for smArtha karmas and grihya karmas which are ordained bythe smritis and grihya sutras. ( the shodasha samskAra-s, prayaschitta prayOgas etc.) have the hOma part in it. Shrouta karmas (like sOma yAga etc.)are usually performed in tretAgni while smartha and grihya karmas (like gaNapati, navagraha, mrutyunjaya hOma-s are performed in either the loukikAgni/OupAsanAgni or grihyAgni/loukikAgni.Since this topic is out of the scope of this list...this is my last post on this subject.Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!bhaskar