IndiaDivine.org

BhagavadGita

Rate this topic

Guest guest

PraNams All.I was recently at a satsang where a couple of us had gathered to read the Gita; one of the members (an American woman) raised the point that we should only read translations/interpretations of the Gita by realized souls. She asked the rest of us if we knew of such works. My immediate thought was of Ramana Maharishi and Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and as far I know neither of them have commentaries on the Gita. I always refer to Swami Chinmayanada's work; I looked up Dennisji's list of modern sages http://www.advaita.org.uk/reading/read_sages.htm - but am not sure if everyone on this list would be considered a realized soul? Can the members reccommend a commentary on the Gita by a realized soul/s?Regards,Veena.

Pranams,

The one that I always go to is the one written by Yogananda... If you ask me, none other comes even close to that... read it an feel for yourself....

http://www.amazon.com/God-Talks-Arjuna-Bhagavad-Gita/dp/0876120311/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid=1224953975 & sr=8-6

Prayers,

Sreenivas

Veena <veeus18advaitin Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:14:05 AM BhagavadGita

PraNams All.I was recently at a satsang where a couple of us had gathered to read the Gita; one of the members (an American woman) raised the point that we should only read translations/ interpretations of the Gita by realized souls. She asked the rest of us if we knew of such works. My immediate thought was of Ramana Maharishi and Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and as far I know neither of them have commentaries on the Gita. I always refer to Swami Chinmayanada' s work; I looked up Dennisji's list of modern sages http://www.advaita. org.uk/reading/ read_sages. htm - but am not sure if everyone on this list would be considered a realized soul? Can the members reccommend a commentary on the Gita by a realized soul/s?Regards,Veena.

Veenaji - PraNAms

One has to realize first before to know that other has realized or not -

unfortunately there is no certification process to say this person has realized

or not realized. One who has realized does not go around declare that I am

realized soul - who want others to know that I was ignorant!

Please study Swami Chinmayananda book or swami Dayanandaji book and use it for

discussion - assume that they are all realized. Who is realized and not realized

is futile enquiry - that is my understanding.

Hope this helps

Hari Om!

Sadananda

--- On Sat, 10/25/08, Veena <veeus18 wrote:

PraNams All.

Can the members reccommend a commentary on the Gita by a realized soul/s?

Regards,

Veena.

Namaste

thank you for this contribution.

Sri Ramana Maharshi stated (somewhere) that only a Realized is able to recognize another Realized

and that we never can orand should "judge" a Realized by his "way of acting" - because even Realized have different roles to "play"

That touched "me" as being authentic.

Authenticity was and is the "measure" this person used unknowingly since being a small child to accept or not to accept what others tried to convince "me"

And looking at all neo-advaitins "Gurus" - sri so much but this person does not have the feeling of authenticity.

Much to much does this person michael know the role of ego and the ability of highly intellectual or emotional talented personalities to use their "inner ego trickster" to play their egoplay.

Authenticity in its fullest highest meaning i discovered with Grace in Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Whose actual life is documented from "start to end" and whose way life is absolute CLEAN.

This michael calls in all possible modesty AUTHENTIC and therefore a sparkle of LIGHT GD SELF to follow...

What indeed means practically to "invest" all the energy available to live accordingly moment to moment.

What does not mean that this person is able to do it - but it strifes and with "brutal" use of "his" inner observer looks at the way this person lives moment to moment.

Always taking in account that real LOVE is the necessary "tool" to "succeed".

Be embraced

thank you for sharing this sangha

michael

-

kuntimaddi sadananda

advaitin

Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:26 AM

Re: BhagavadGita

Veenaji - PraNAmsOne has to realize first before to know that other has realized or not - unfortunately there is no certification process to say this person has realized or not realized. One who has realized does not go around declare that I am realized soul - who want others to know that I was ignorant!Please study Swami Chinmayananda book or swami Dayanandaji book and use it for discussion - assume that they are all realized. Who is realized and not realized is futile enquiry - that is my understanding. Hope this helpsHari Om!Sadananda--- On Sat, 10/25/08, Veena <veeus18 > wrote:PraNams All.Can the members reccommend a commentary on the Gita by a realized soul/s?Regards,Veena.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.8.3/1746 - Release 25/10/2008 17.55

Can the members reccommend a commentary on the Gita by a realized

soul/s?

>

> Regards,

> Veena.

Namaste, There is only one Bhagavadgeetha Bhaashya written according

to universal experience , rational, simple, for all mankind according

to VENDANTHA SAMPRADAAYA- Adhyaropa Apavaada by the greatest acharya

SHANKARA BHAGAVATPAADA. please visit www. gitasupersite.org in which

you will get Bhagavadgeetha in multi language. original is in Sanskrit.

it is superb.

shubhamastu,

sadguru krupaakataaksha siddhirastu,

sanjeeva murthy

Pranams,I wonder if there is a need to assess if one is a realised soul or not!!!!! as if one is a jnaani will behave like "jadavat loke" and this is Ashtaavakra's teaching too. Suggested reading for the serious students of vedanta is :- Bhagavad Gita by Mahadeva shastryGita home study by Swami Dayananda SarsavatiBhagavad Gita Summary by Swami paramarthanandajiBhagavad Gita by Swami Shivananada- can be downloaded from the websiteBhagavad Gita By swami krishnananda - can be down loaded from the website.Wishing you all the bestWith prayerslakshmi Muthuswamy

Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger.

Namaskaram

long time, no see.

are you back in India? or still abroad?

very well said, Lakshmiji.

namaskaram

ram mohan--- On Fri, 31/10/08, Lakshmi Muthuswamy <lakmuthu wrote:

Lakshmi Muthuswamy <lakmuthuRe: BhagavadGitaadvaitin Date: Friday, 31 October, 2008, 3:08 PM

Pranams,I wonder if there is a need to assess if one is a realised soul or not!!!!! as if one is a jnaani will behave like "jadavat loke" and this is Ashtaavakra' s teaching too. Suggested reading for the serious students of vedanta is :- Bhagavad Gita by Mahadeva shastryGita home study by Swami Dayananda SarsavatiBhagavad Gita Summary by Swami paramarthanandajiBhagavad Gita by Swami Shivananada- can be downloaded from the websiteBhagavad Gita By swami krishnananda - can be down loaded from the website.Wishing you all the bestWith prayerslakshmi Muthuswamy

Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger.

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Pranams,

Continuing on bhagavad gita,

There is a well written book on bhagavdgita by Eknath Eashvaran. But this is a secular approach. He is quoting from every other religion. Sepends on the students approach,

with prayers

Lakshmi

Namasthe,

Meanings, purport etc of the 'gita' can be had from any number of books already available. Masters have intrepretted it in all its hues. Sanskrit is a language which can bring out various meanings from the same words, sentence and structure. It all depends upon the interpreter's knowledge of the scriptures and depth and width of experiences he had in his life. But what is important is to reflect upon them by applying them in everyday life. LIFE and its EXPERIENCES are unique for every individual. Hence internalisation is essential, for the intent of 'gita' is to ready the individual cross over his life successfully. Unlike other scriptures 'gita' has hardly anything emotional. Reading Bhagavatam, Ramayanam , Mahabharatham etc might churn one emotionally and in the process might get purified in the churning. Not 'gita'. 'Gita' is instructional, directional, logical, scientific and very meaningful and purposeful. It is to be used to

conquer all stages of one's life. Beginning with one's student life to adult life to old age and finally the exit stage. 'Gita' is a sure shot, step by step manual left by 'him', spoken by 'him' in 'his' own words and rhythm for mankind of all ages and places. Rest all can wait since it is in 'Gita' one get to hear 'him' talk in first person. It is straight, simple and melodious. Mix it with one's life and see the difference. As long as one doesn't do that 'gita' may not be functional to one.

Regards

Balagopal