IndiaDivine.org

Sri SHANKARA SAYS :

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Members,Sri Shankara says : ( 1a ) sarvaM hi nAnAtvaM brahmaNi kalpitamEva || [bRuhadAraNyaka upanishad; 1-4-10] ( 1b ) anapAyOpajanadharmakacaitanyam Atmaiva nAmarUpAdyupAdhidharmaH pratyavaBAsatE || [Prasna Upanishad; 6-2] ( 2 ) sarvO hi lOkavyavahAraH brhmaNyEva kalpitaH na paramArthasan

|| [bRuhadAraNyaka upanishad; 1-4-10]

( 3 ) yadA vitatham dvaitam, AtmaivaikaH paramArthataH san tadA idaM niShpannaM Bavati- sarvO^yaM laUkikO vaidikaSca vyavahAraH avidyAviShaya Eva || [MandUkya kArika: 2-32] ( 4 ) vipaScit mEdhAvI apariluptacaitanyasvaBAvatvAt || [Kathopanishad; 1-2-18] I have not translated the above passages to English because the same is availablein the books on Upanishads with commentary of Sri Shankara translated into English by Swami Madhavananda and Swami Gambhirananda of Sri Ramakrishna Mission. These passages of Sri Shankara were noted down by me for my manana

.. I would very much like to offer such passages which had a profound effect on me.With warm and respectful regards,Sreenivasa Murthy.

From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India.

Namaskaram Shri Sreenivasa murthyji.if I may make a humble request,when you post these type of quotes, if you can kindly give themeaning or translation, it will be very helpful. Kindly do not consider it as "spoon feeding". The reason for my request is simple.To day, there are many youngsters who have no time - thanks to the 'vyvaharika duties' they are to perform.But then people like us, who come across interestingdiscussions, interviews, thoughts etc, cut and paste the relevant part - which we hope will generate interestin them or which help them to relate the day to day lifewith such thoughts etc. Hope you understand.Thanks for the nice thoughts.pranam--- On Thu, 25/12/08, sreenivasa murthy <narayana145

wrote:sreenivasa murthy <narayana145 Sri SHANKARA SAYS :advaitin Date: Thursday, 25 December, 2008, 7:16 AM

Dear Members,Sri Shankara says : ( 1a ) sarvaM hi nAnAtvaM brahmaNi kalpitamEva || [bRuhadAraNyaka upanishad; 1-4-10] ( 1b ) anapAyOpajanadharma kacaitanyam Atmaiva nAmarUpAdyupAdhidha rmaH pratyavaBAsatE || [Prasna Upanishad; 6-2] ( 2 ) sarvO hi lOkavyavahAraH

brhmaNyEva kalpitaH na paramArthasan

|| [bRuhadAraNyaka upanishad; 1-4-10]

( 3 ) yadA vitatham dvaitam, AtmaivaikaH paramArthataH san tadA idaM niShpannaM Bavati- sarvO^yaM laUkikO vaidikaSca vyavahAraH avidyAviShaya Eva || [MandUkya kArika: 2-32] ( 4 ) vipaScit mEdhAvI apariluptacaitanyas vaBAvatvAt || [Kathopanishad; 1-2-18] I have not translated the above passages to English because the same is availablein the books on Upanishads with commentary of Sri Shankara translated into English by Swami Madhavananda and Swami Gambhirananda of Sri Ramakrishna Mission. These passages of Sri Shankara were noted down by me for my manana

.. I would very much like to offer such passages which had a profound effect on me.With warm and respectful regards,Sreenivasa Murthy.

From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India.

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

advaitin , ram mohan anantha pai <pairamblr

wrote:

>

> if I may make a humble request,

>

> when you post these type of quotes, if you can kindly give the

> meaning or translation, it will be very helpful.

For those who like to venture on their own, these sites would

be very useful:

http://www.geocities.com/advaitavedant/

http://www.celextel.org/

http://shankaracharya.org/

Moderators

Namasthe,

When I post certain verses of 'Gita' I seldom put in the explanatory parts. I do this because of two reasons:

1) 'Gita' is, in 99.99%, avaialble at hand

2) the point I mention is of any interest one can go for the 'book', and in more probability might read more than what I referred.

But other Upanishads are not that easily accessible.

Hence as Rammohanji suggested at least a brief explanatory portion will be beneficial. If not kindly note the URL , if avalable in the net, to which the serious seekers can definetly go for more info.

Regards

Balagopal

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Shree Balagopal - PraNAms

Even the serious seekers do not read advaitin posts with B.G book in hand to

refer to while they study the posts - nor with Sanskrit-English dictionary. I

agree with the suggestion that it is important to provide the readers not just

the slokas but discuss it along with meaning - otherwise the purpose of the list

as discussion group becomes futile.

The same goes with copying some web pages and posting it on the advaitin list.

We have discouraged that practice also in the past. Discussion will be more

lively only when discussors present their understanding of scriptures and/or

bhaashyaas. Only by discussing we clarify our own understanding and listen to

others who may view it differently.

Hari Om!

Sadananda

--- On Fri, 12/26/08, balagopal ramakrishnan <rbalpal wrote:

When I post certain verses of 'Gita' I seldom put in the explanatory parts. I do

this because of two reasons:

1) 'Gita' is, in 99.99%, avaialble at hand

2) the point I mention is of any interest one can go for the 'book', and in more

probability might read more than what I referred.

But other Upanishads are not that easily accessible.

Hence as Rammohanji  suggested at least a brief explanatory portion will be

beneficial. If not kindly note the URL , if avalable in the net, to which the

serious seekers can definetly go for more info.