IndiaDivine.org

An Answer, worth????

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namaste, all

My sincere thanks to some of our members who took the trouble of responding to my following post:

<< Compared to other animals, it is observed, only human beings have moha, mada, lobha and matsarya, in addition to kama and krodha, which other animals also have, maybe in a lower degree. Further the urge for excelling others or for achieving perfection is found only in human beings.

What is the reason for this? I am sure Advaita Vedanta will have an answer or this.>>

I remember hearing a long time ago a lecture, although I cannot recollect the name of the Swamiji who gave it. He said, human beings are very much self conscious, as compared to other animals and not only that each one has some inherent knowledge that the self or atma, is Poornam or complete, and he always wants to remain that i.e. Poornam or complete. Because of this reason, i.e. his inherent knowledge that he is full or poornam, whenever he feels this poornatwam gets affected, he develops these negative qualities, to compete with others, because he erroneously thinks that the self is body, mind and intellect, only to regain his poornatwam and to remain in that poornatwam.

I may be wrong, but, IMVHU there are two reasons for this:

a) Human beings as compared to other animals are very much self conscious,

b) At the same time human beings are self ignorant, i.e. they do not know what exactly the self is.

The ego, nothing but the self itself under ignorance, takes body, mind and intellect as the self.

The Ego cannot stand mortality, ignorance and unhappiness, because it has partial knowledge of self, being self conscious, that it is immortal, knowledge and happiness itself, i.e. sat chit aanandam. And not only that Ego always wants to be significant, as in reality it is Ekam eva adviteeyam, and because it is not fully aware of this, expects its body mind and intellect to be significant, due to adhyasa, and continues to manipulate its body, mind and intellect wherever and whenever it feels it is becoming insignificant. It goes on comparing with others to see that it continues to be significant and supreme and in the process whenever it feels others, i.e. body, mind and intellect belonging to “others†are getting

superior, it gets agitated and becomes jealous, etc., and subjects itself to moha, mada, matsarya, lobha, including krodha and kama.

Once the ego gets enlightened it recognizes that it is not the body mind and intellect, but it is satyam gnanam anantam itself, all qualities including the negative qualities, which the unenlightened ego entertains, or subjected to, due to only self ignorance, vanishes, because in reality the “other†is not there to be jealous of or to compete with, etc.

I hope I have managed to make my point clear and if I am wrong in my understanding, I request the learned members to rectify me.

With warm regards,

R.S.Mani

R.. S. Mani

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.