IndiaDivine.org

Divine Qualities...daanam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dandavat pranams to all!

Before we begin posting Chapter 17, I am going to continue with Shri Shyamji's suggestion earlier on that we focus on the divine qualities one by one. Of course, as Shri Ramji so aptly pointed out in an earlier post, avoidance of the undivine or asuric (demonic) qualities is as important as cultivation of the divine qualities. Just as one must strive to observe these traits, so also must one know when one is leaning in the other direction in any given situation, in the spirit of viewing the Holy Gita as the guiding light for how we should behave in everyday life.

Chapter 16- Verse 1...the divine qualities.

Sri Bhagavaan Uvaacha: Abhayam sattwasamshuddhih jnaanayogavyavasthitih; Daanam damashcha yajnashcha swaadhyaayastapa aarjavam. (BG 16.1)[Declaring the first attributes of the list of the divine qualities, ] The Blessed Lord said: Fearlessness, purity of heart, steadfastness in Yoga and knowledge, alms-giving, control of the senses, sacrifice, study of scriptures, austerity and straightforwardness,

Daanam is the fourth listed quality. Swami Gambirananda defined daanam as "charity, distribution of food etc. according to one's ability"

Swami Chinmayanda groups daanam as one of the next three listed qualities, each intertwined to the other as they further provide the building blocks to the jnaanayogavyavasthitih (steadfastness in the yoga of knowledge advaitin/message/47392) which precedes them. So that we may reinforce our understanding, I am requoting it below...

ALMS-GIVING (CHARITY), CONTROL OF THE SENSES AND SACRIFICE --- These three are now the techniques by which an individual successfully tunes up his inner instruments of knowledge in order to discover the required amount of "steady devotion to Knowledge." Charity must come from one's sense of abundance. Charity springs only from a sense of oneness in us --- oneness between the giver and the recipient. Unless one is able to identify oneself with others, one will not feel this noble urge to share all that one has with others who do not have it. Thus Daana is born out of a capacity to restrain one's instincts of acquisition and aggrandisement, and to replace them with the spirit of sacrifice, and it consists in sharing with others the objects of the world that one possesses.

The Lord makes very clear in 16.15. that this charity is not one of ostentation in giving. And to be in the spirit of this charity, you do not have to be the one who walks in all of the walkathons, or pledges the most to the latest popular charity, although these are certainly admirable. What is important is not the overt action, but the basis of the action, that it be in the spirit of devotion, in accordance with the scriptures and thus nishkama karma (desireless action) Maybe it means giving thousands of dollars to some charitable organization or maybe it means giving dinner to the child down the street whose parents have fallen on hard times and who have little food in the house.

Or like the girl in the video below, in the spirit of that sense of oneness, giving your pretty shawl to a street person living on a vent...

From another perspective, in his earlier post Shri Ramji equated charity with compassion and kindness. So, to the extent that one extends compassion and kindess to others, even if it be in the form of a smile or a few words of kindness to a stranger on the street, one is exhibiting charity. That which is extended need not be in the form of money or food or physical items but in the form of compassion and kindness towards others. As I thought on this, the old adage 'charity begins at home" came to my mind. Does this mean that charity begins at home and stays at home? We should remember to practice charity at home, in our willingness to extend that same compassion and kindness to our family members, especially when they are testing our patience to the extreme.

I found an interesting variation on this proberb, being in John Wycliffe's Of Prelates (c. 1380); "Charity should begin at himself." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/charity+begins+at+home?jss=1 I mention this because charity for oneself in the form of love and compassion and self forgiveness can go a long way to allowing one to genuinely extend charity to others, in whatever form one's means will allow.

Hare Krishna!!!

If this post is not acceptable, feel free to reject.In The Prophet, Khalil Gibran has some very beautiful lines on giving and I give here the second half...(http://leb.net/~mira/works/prophet/prophet5.html)

" ................And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy, nor give with mindfulness of virtue;

They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.

Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth.

It is well to give when asked, but it is better to give unasked, through understanding;

And to the open-handed the search for one who shall receive is joy greater than giving

And is there aught you would withhold?

All you have shall some day be given;

Therefore give now, that the season of giving may be yours and not your inheritors'.

You often say, " I would give, but only to the deserving. "

The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture.

They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.

Surely he who is worthy to receive his days and his nights is worthy of all else from you.

And he who has deserved to drink from the ocean of life deserves to fill his cup from your little stream.

And what desert greater shall there be than that which lies in the courage and the confidence, nay the charity, of receiving?

And who are you that men should rend their bosom and unveil their

pride, that you may see their worth naked and their pride unabashed?

See first that you yourself deserve to be a giver, and an instrument of giving.

For in truth it is life that gives unto life - while you, who deem yourself a giver, are but a witness.

And you receivers - and you are all receivers - assume no weight of gratitude, lest you lay a yoke upon yourself and upon him who gives.

Rather rise together with the giver on his gifts as on wings;

For to be overmindful of your debt, is to doubt his generosity who has the free-hearted earth for mother, and God for father. " On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Radhe <shaantih wrote:

Dandavat pranams to all!

Before we begin posting Chapter 17, I am going to continue with Shri Shyamji's suggestion earlier on that we focus on the divine qualities one by one. Of course, as Shri Ramji so aptly pointed out in an earlier post, avoidance of the undivine or asuric (demonic)  qualities is as important as cultivation of the divine qualities. Just as one must strive to observe these traits, so also must one know when one is leaning in the other direction in any given situation, in the spirit of viewing the Holy Gita as the guiding light for how we should behave in everyday life.

This is beautiful Veenaji. I especially love the lines below which I left intact. For it is when the giving flows in such a fashion, surely the Lord is speaking. While we are studying the divine qualities and in fact looking upon them with "mindfulness of virtue" let us hope that in doing so, the imprints upon our spirits are such that the need for the thought of such is released into space, leaving behind only nishkama karma (desireless action). Thank you for sharing this link.

Hare Krishna!!!

-

Veena Nair

advaitin

Monday, February 01, 2010 12:56 PM

Re: Divine Qualities...daanam

In The Prophet, Khalil Gibran has some very beautiful lines on giving and I give here the second half...(http://leb.net/~mira/works/prophet/prophet5.html)"................

And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy, nor give with mindfulness of virtue;

They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.

Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth.