IndiaDivine.org

Divine Qualities-tyaagah (Gita Satsangh 16.2)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dandavat pranams to all!!!

Continuing the Gita Sangha with enunciation of the fourth listed quality of Chapter 16, we find the quality tyaagah, or renunciation. This quality can be viewed on many levels, from renunciation of possessions, or at least attachment to those possessions, to the renunciation which reflects moksha, renunciation of any concept of "I and mine". Renunciation can come in the form of renunciation of physical possessions, but the real renunciation is internal, not external. And although renunciation of physical possessions often accompanies internal renunciation, this is not necessary to achieve true renunciation. In fact, one can be attached to the very idea of their own physical renunciation. The ultimate reunciation is often said to be that which negates anything not of the atma or Self, as just discussed by Acharya Sadanandaji in his Perspective 27. advaitin/message/47787 To take it one step further, it can be said that renunciation is that which renounces all negation, seeing everything as Brahman, dropping even the conceptual duality of the real and the unreal.

Ahimsaa satyamakrodhas tyaagah shaantirapaishunam; Dayaa bhooteshvaloluptwam maardavam hreerachaapalam. Harmlessness, truth, absence of anger, renunciation, peacefulness, absence of crookedness, compassion towards beings, uncovetousness, gentleness, modesty, absence of fickleness, (BG 16.2)Swami Chinmayanda has said that the qualities in verse two represent mental attitudes and so he characterizes tyaga as follows :"SPIRIT OF RENUNCIATION (Tyaga) this stanza also we find, as we noticed in the previous stanza, that there is a sequential order strictly followed in the development of thought from term to term. If without respect to Truth, we cannot live in the spirit of ahimsa, so also without the spirit of renunciation an even temper is but a vain hope."

When one is attached to one's belongings or to one's sense of standing in the community or to what profession one's children follow, or what college they attend, attachment to wordly things is tightly wound into an ego knot connecting one to the material world. The material world is not limited to the size of one's house or one's bank account; it is inextricably connected to that sense of need for belonging and respect that often binds us to our ego in a subtle but grasping way. Only when our actions are grounded in dharmic behavior without attachment to the results can there be tyaga or renunciation.

The short story below will illustrate this:

"Shrimad Rajchandra is a man of high repute for spiritual knowledge and attainment. Once, his chief disciple Shree Lalluji said, "Respected Sir, I have renounced a wealthy family, aged mother, two wives, and a son. Still I do not experience fulfillment." Shrimad Rajachandra replied, "What have you renounced? You have renounced two women, but how many more does your eyes turn during monkhood life? You have renounced one house, but with how many more is your mind burdened? You have renounced one son, but how many more does your heart get attached?

Lalluji had a simple heart. He pondered over his inner self and felt ashamed. He immediately admitted, "Sir, I have not renounced anything!"

Shrimad Rajachandra replied, "Now you are a real renouncer."

Shrimad Rajachandra's view was this, "One can not have a true knowledge of self, until one experiences fulfillment in one's renunciation, and not the pride. http://www.angelfire.com/co/jainism/chap20.txtLord Krishna addresses tyaga in much more detail in Chapter 18. 2-12, with the declaration that those who perform actions without any desire for results, who have abandoned any attachment to the results of their actions, will no longer accrue karma.

Anishtamishtam mishram cha trividham karmanah phalam;Bhavatyatyaaginaam pretya na tu sannyaasinaam kwachit.The threefold fruit of action—evil, good and mixed—accrues after death to the non-abandoners, but never to the abandoners (BG 18.12)

How to achieve this detachment from fruits of actions? He provides this answer in two of my favorite verses from the Gita:

Manmanaa bhava madbhakto madyaajee maam namaskuru;Maamevaishyasi satyam te pratijaane priyo’si me.Fix thy mind on Me, be devoted to Me, sacrifice to Me, bow down to Me. Thou shalt come even to Me; truly do I promise unto thee, (for) thou art dear to Me. (BG 18.65)

Sarvadharmaan parityajya maamekam sharanam vraja;Aham twaa sarvapaapebhyo mokshayishyaami maa shuchah.Abandoning all duties, take refuge in Me alone; I will liberate thee from all sins; grieve not. (BG 18.66)

Hare Krishna!!!