IndiaDivine.org

this progress can be felt and the process hastens itself

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

If there is a process of understanding, beginning at an intellectual level and going deeper into something that is referred to as Sudden Awakening, how can this be interpreted in terms of a process?

It's a valid question. And the question can be answered this way; you are climbing - as a concept again - a staircase and you have no idea how many steps there are. All you can do is to keep climbing. The process is the climbing. And you never know how many more steps to the top. The final step is always sudden! The hindrance is, if you keep thinking about your progress, you want to hasten it. It is the nature of the mind. One of the leading psychologists in San Francisco has been attending these talks for three or four years and he still persists with this. he says, "Ramesh, I understand, but so long as it is a process, surely I must be able to hasten it." So I go back to my answer, "Who" is there to hasten this process? This progress can be felt and the process hastens itself if no effort be made to hasten it. Because, the effort is always by the "me".

So this progress can be felt, but as the progress arises, the question still remains so long as there's the "me", asking, "What do I do?" The answer is, the only thing you should do is not get involved in it, not think about the progress. The idea suddenly arises, "I've had more and more of these moments!" Fine! That is a thought that arises spontaneously over which you have no control. Or the thought may be, "I'm not making any progress." Whether it is the thought that you are making progress or the thought that you are not making progress, it is still a thought that arises in Consciousness over which you have no control. Whatever the thought, positive or negative, if it is merely witnessed then it disappears and you're no longer involved.

Conversations with Ramesh S. Balsekar

Consciousness Speaks (Ramesh S Balsekar) published by

Advaita Press

PO Box 3479

Redondo Beach CA 90277

USA

www.advaita.org