IndiaDivine.org

RE: Fwd: Question about Aham Brahmasmi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Tony,

Nameste.

I thought in your answer you may have missed an opportunity to examine your own vasanas when you said, "Who knows what drives anybody?"

I have found in practice to inquire why I have some pattern of repeated expression to be fruitful. Each vasana is a misdirected search for happiness, based on an assumption of identity that is not true. Uprooting these vasana is a key to practice; and brings more freedom, etc.

I have also come to see that looking within to verify what the sages and rishis teach is what deepens my practice. While the Truth is reasonable (is what the ancient teachers taught, and what modern teachers teach, and what can be verified within), no amount of thinking about the Truth beings Self-Realization. Sages say 'Self effort is needed." Needed by whom? the seekers of Truth. For those who stand as Truth, no effort is needed (or possible). What kind of effort? To find the Truth within, to know that it is the Self, their only identity, the only identity, the only reality.

Not two,

Richard

advaitajnana [advaitajnana ]On Behalf Of Tony OCleryWednesday, April 25, 2007 8:45 AMadvaitajnana Subject: Fwd: Re: Question about Aham Brahmasmi

advaitin , "Tony OClery" <aoclery wrote:advaitin , "risrajlam" <rishi.lamichhane@> wrote:>> some privileged understanding you claim have about what "the Sages" > implied (but did not say), it is not possible to carry out a > discussion. Knowing that fully, why do you actually keep posting? This > is not a rhetorical question - I am really curious about what drives > you to keep pressing your opinion.> > Regards,> > Rishi.Namaste Rishiji,Who knows what drives anybody? Prarabda karma probably.CREATION HYMN from the RIG VEDATranslation by V. V. Raman, University of RochesterNot even nothing existed thenNo air yet, nor a heaven.Who encased and kept it where?Was water in the darkness there?Neither deathlessness nor decayNo, nor the rhythm of night and day:The self-existent, with breath sans air:That, and that alone was there.Darkness was in darkness foundLike light-less water all around.One emerged, with nothing onIt was from heat that this was born.Into it, Desire, its way did find:The primordial seed born of mind.Sages know deep in the heart:What exists is kin to what does not.Across the void the cord was thrown,The place of every thing was known.Seed-sowers and powers now came by,Impulse below and force on high.Who really knows, and who can swear,How creation came, when or where!Even gods came after creation's day,Who really knows, who can truly sayWhen and how did creation start?Did He do it? Or did He not?Only He, up there, knows, maybe;Or perhaps, not even He. I interpret the last couple of lines, as relevant to my point thatwhen the Sages talked of Sat-Cit-Ananda before creation, they were infact talking of Saguna Brahman concept, in potentiality likeprakriti.Therefore Saguna 'knows' and Nir guna concept doesn't 'know'.As I previously stated there is no beginning to Saguna, but there isan end for it never happened.I don't have the references here but I do remember quotes from Sagessaying that it all disappears of dropping the body andrealisation/Moksha..........Tony.--- End forwarded message ---

Guest guest

Dear Tony,

If those are your vasnas, then you are right, they are driving you the right way, towards the truth. For whom is the vasana?

As for those on the Advaita site, you know better than I. Certainly I have dialoged with Sankara scholars who knew well the words and ideas, and who had little experience of the teaching.

Not two,

Richard

advaitajnana [advaitajnana ]On Behalf Of Tony OCleryThursday, April 26, 2007 8:28 PMadvaitajnana Subject: Fwd: Re: Question about Aham Brahmasmi

advaitajnana , "Richard Clarke" <richard wrote:>> Dear Tony,> > Nameste.> > I thought in your answer you may have missed an opportunity toexamine your> own vasanas when you said, "Who knows what drives anybody?"> > I have found in practice to inquire why I have some pattern of repeated> expression to be fruitful. Each vasana is a misdirected search for> happiness, based on an assumption of identity that is not true.Uprooting> these vasana is a key to practice; and brings more freedom, etc.> > I have also come to see that looking within to verify what the sages and> rishis teach is what deepens my practice. While the Truth isreasonable (is> what the ancient teachers taught, and what modern teachers teach,and what> can be verified within), no amount of thinking about the Truth beings> Self-Realization. Sages say 'Self effort is needed." Needed bywhom? the> seekers of Truth. For those who stand as Truth, no effort is needed (or> possible). What kind of effort? To find the Truth within, to knowthat it is> the Self, their only identity, the only identity, the only reality.> > Not two,> RichardNamaste Richard,I think my statement on prarabda includes my vasanas. Two that seem todrive me now.1.A search for the truth and 2. To try and use Advaita toparticipate in the discussion. I think on the advaita site there aretoo many 'religious' people who worship sankara as an incarnation ofsiva etc. It is not really Advaita it is a partial, so they don't liketo engage outside their superstitions. A pity for sankar only taughtthe superstitons as he knew that's what they wantes...a full cupcannot understand a full kettle.........regards Tony.