IndiaDivine.org

the freedom to do what you like

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

.... When you say that the environmental destruction that Consciousness is doing to our environment is supposed to happen and therefore we as ...

Whose environment?! Are we different from that environment? Consciousness has created this environment of which we are a small, essential, but negligible part.

Well, on an abstract conceptual level I can follow that, but when I step into an oil slick and get crap all over my foot, it's more concrete and so that's why I talk about responsibility. We're drinking fouled water and breathing fouled air. Shouldn't I, as an individual, worry about that?

Yes. You see, you may worry about it. Someone else may not. They'll say, "Alright, it has to be". I'm very serious; I couldn't be more serious. If worrying and getting angry is part of the functioning of the organism, you will worry. You cannot help worrying; you cannot not get angry.

But in the same organism, if the understanding dawns, even at an intellectual level, and that understanding percolates down to the heart, and there's a conviction, that organism which used to worry may not worry at all that much, may start to realise that all it can do is to function according to its natural characteristics. It cannot not do so. And that brings about a tremendous sense of freedom. Until it happens you don't realise what a fantastic sense of freedom it is. The freedom, just understand, the freedom to do what you like. The freedom to continue living exactly as you have been doing, with the conviction that you cannot have any control over the consequences. So you continue to do what you have been doing, the same kind of work, unless a change happens to take place. The fact that you have no control over the results means you stop worrying about the results and concentrate on the work that is being done.

Conversations with Ramesh S. Balsekar

Consciousness Speaks (Ramesh S Balsekar) published by

Advaita Press

PO Box 3479

Redondo Beach CA 90277

USA

www.advaita.org