IndiaDivine.org

Sri RamaKrishna says Sense of I vanishes at the approach of Divine wisdom

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Each attribute limits the soul and modifies its nature. He who dresses smartly will naturally sing love songs, play cards and carry a cane, and such things will appeal to him. If you have a pencil in your hand, you will unconsciously scribble on anything; such is the power of the pencil. Money has great power. When a man becomes wealthy his nature is entirely changed. He is a different being. A poor Brahmin, for instance, used to come here. He was very humble. He lived on the other side of the Ganges. One day as I was landing from a boat, I saw him sitting at the riverside. Seeing me, he shouted in a disrespectful tone, " Hello! is it you, my good fellow? " Immediately I understood by his manner that he had got hold of some money, otherwise he would not dare to address me thus. 

A toad had a Rupee in its hole. An elephant was coming that way and passed over the hole. The toad was very angry; it came out and was about to kick the elephant, saying: " How darest thou pass over me? " Such is the power of wealth! It makes one so egotistic. This sense of " I, " however, vanishes at the approach of Divine wisdom, which leads to super-consciousness (Samadhi) and eventually to God-consciousness. But it is very difficult to acquire this Divine wisdom. [p. 53] 

You may cut the branches of a fig-tree to-day, but to-morrow you will see that new twigs are sprouting. If this sense of " I " will not leave, then let it stay as the servant of God. " O God! Thou art my Lord, I am Thy servant! " Think in this way: " I am His servant, I am His Bhakta, devotee. " There is no harm in this kind of " I. " Sweet things cause dyspepsia and acidity, but crystallized sugar-candy is harmless. The path of wisdom is very difficult. It cannot be followed so long as the sense of " I " is connected with the body. In this age the consciousness of the body and the sense of " I " cannot be overcome easily. [p. 56]

But in the path of devotion, through prayer and the repetition of His Holy Name with extreme longing, God can be reached without fail. Devotee: Bhagavan, dost Thou teach us to renounce the worldly " I " and not the sense of the servant " I " ? Ramakrishna: Yes, the servant " I " or " I am the servant of God, " " I am His devotee, " this egoism is not bad but on the contrary it helps us to realize God. Devotee: Bhagavan, does he who has the sense of the servant " I " possess passion and anger? Ramakrishna: If this attitude of a servant be genuine and perfect, then passion and anger will drop off leaving only a scar in the mind. This " I " of a Bhakta or devotee does no harm to any living creature. It is like a sword which, after touching the Philosopher's Stone, is turned to gold. The sword retains the same form but it cannot cut or injure anyone. The dry leaves of the cocoanut-tree drop off in the wind, leaving a mark on the trunk; that mark proves that there was a leaf there at one time. Similarly, the scar of the sense of " I " remains in the mind of one who has realized God, but his whole nature is transformed into that of an innocent child. [p. 57] 

The mind may be compared to a needle. If a needle be covered with thick mud, it is not attracted by the magnet; but when the mud is washed off, the magnet attracts it. [Power of repentance] Similarly, when the mind is covered with the mud of worldliness, it does not feel the attraction of the Lord; but whosoever repents, saying: " O Lord, I shall never again commit such an act, " and sheds tears of true repentance, washes off all impurities and the magnet of the Lord then attracts the needle of the mind. Instantly super-consciousness comes and is followed by God-vision.[p. 60]

Source: THE GOSPEL OF RAMAKRISHNA Revised by SWAMI ABHEDANANDA

-- Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Prasanth JalasutramLove And Love Alone