IndiaDivine.org

Talks - 41 ; 22nd September, 1936

Rate this topic

Guest guest

22nd September, 1936

41. D.: What is that one thing, knowing which all doubts are solved?

Maharshi.: Know the doubter. If the doubter is held, the doubts will not arise. Here the doubter is transcendent. Again when the doubter ceases to exist, there will be no doubts arising. From where will they arise? All are jnanis, jivanmuktas. Only they are not aware of the fact. Doubts must be uprooted. This means that the doubter must be uprooted. Here the doubter is the mind.

D.: What is the method?

M.: 'Who am I? is the investigation.

D.: May we perform japa?

M.: Why should you think I am this? Investigate and the thoughts cease. What is, namely the Self, will be revealed as the inescapable residue.

D.: Is hatha Yoga necessary?

M.: It is one of the aids --- not that it is always necessary. It depends upon the person. Vichara surpasses pranayama. In "Yoga Vasistha'' Chudala advises investigation (vichara) to Sikhidvaja for killing the ego.

Reality can be reached by holding on to prana or intellect. Hatha Yoga is the former; Vichara is the latter.

D.: Is there any individuality for the jnani after Realisation?

M.: How can he retain individuality?

Even ordinarily the elders advise achamana and pranamaya before undertaking any work --- be it worldly or other-worldly. That means, concentration of mind accomplishes the work.

D.: I meditate neti-neti (not this - not this).

M.: No-that is not meditation. Find the source. You must reach the source without fail. The false 'I' will disappear and the real 'I' will be realised. The former cannot exist apart from the latter.

Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now