IndiaDivine.org

Maharshi, Karma Yoga - #4

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Question: I want to do Karma Yoga. How can I help others?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: Who is there for you to help? Who is that "I" that is going to help others? First clear up that point and then everything will settle itself.

Question: That means ‘realise the Self.’ Does my realisation help others?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: Yes, and it is the best help that you can possibly render to others. But really there are no others to be helped. For the realised being sees only the Self, just as the goldsmith sees only the gold while valuing it in various jewels made of gold. When you identify yourself with the body, name and form are there. But when you transcend the body-consciousness, the others also disappear. The realised one does not see the world as different from himself.

Question: Would it not be better if saints mixed with other people in order to help them?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: There are no others to mix with. The Self is the only reality. The sage helps the world merely by being the real Self. The best way for one to serve the world is to win the egoless state. If you are anxious to help the world, but think that you cannot do so by attaining the egoless state, then surrender to God all the world’s problems, along with your own.

Question: Should I not try to help the suffering world?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: The power that created you has created the world as well. If it can take care of you, it can similarly take care of the world also. If God has created the world it is His business to look after it, not yours.

BE AS YOU ARE

David Godman