IndiaDivine.org

Talks with Ramana Maharshi - July 6, 1935 #1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

July 6, 1935 .......... A high government officer asked: If juniors are promoted over oneself, the mind is perturbed. Will the enquiry "Who Am I?" help sooth the mind under such circumstances? M. Yes. Quite so. The enquiry "Who Am I?" turns the mind inward and calms it. D. I have faith in murti dhyana ( worship of form). Will it not help me get jnana? M. Surely it will. Upasana helps concentration of mind. Then the mind is free from other thoughts and full of the meditated form. The mind becomes it - and thus quite pure. Then think who is the worshipper. The answer is "I", i.e., the Self. So the Self is gained ultimately. The present difficulty is that man thinks that he is the doer. But it is a mistake. It is the Higher Power which does everything and

man is only a tool. If he accepts that position, he is free from troubles; otherwise he courts them. Take, for instance, the figure in a gopuram ( temple tower), where it is made to appear to bear the burden of the tower on its shoulders. Its posture and look are a picture of great strain while bearing the very heavy burden of the tower. But consider this. The tower is build on the earth and rests on its foundations. The figure (like Atlas bearing the Earth) is a part of the tower. Is it not funny? So is the man who takes on himself the sense of doing. (Then, the Malayalam version of Ulladu Narpadu was read out by a devotee, for the benefit of the visitor.) ......... Talks with Ramana Maharshi On Realizing Abiding Peace and Happinessp. 52

Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Messenger