IndiaDivine.org

Bhagavan - The body itself is a big disease.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Annamalai Swami:

One day I asked Bhagavan, ‘I often get stomach pains. What should I do about them?’ I was hoping that he would suggest some medicine.

Bhagavan replied, ‘What to do about it? The body itself is a big disease. To destroy this disease all we have to do is keep quiet. All other diseases will then leave even earlier.’

Then, as a joke, he remarked, ‘You come and tell me about your diseases. Whom can I tell about the diseases that I have?’

Bhagavan never complained when he was ill. I remember one period when he suffered from piles for a long time without bothering to tell anyone. When the ailment was discovered, some devotees prepared some medicine and gave it to Madhava Swami, telling him to give it to Bhagavan twice a day.

Madhava Swami told Bhagavan that he must take this medicine but Bhagavan refused, saying, ‘Don’t make any medicine for my sake and then give it to me. Taking medicine only increases the disease. As the donkey [the disease] came, so it will go. Let me put up with it till it goes away. You need not make any recommenda­tions.’

After that he refused even to look at the medicine. Bhaga­van finally said that he would take the medicine if all the devotees in the hall were given an equal share. Since we all wanted Bhagavan to get well, we all agreed to undergo the treatment collectively.

LIVING BY THE WORDS OF BHAGAVAN

edited by DAVID GODMAN