IndiaDivine.org

Annamalai Swami: presents

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Annamalai Swami:

Visitors were always trying to make Bhagavan use luxurious things but he never had any desire for them. One lady once brought a velvet blanket for him to sit on, but he refused to accept it.

The woman started to plead with Bhagavan: ‘Please Bhagavan, take my blanket and sit on it.’

No one could make her keep quiet. After about four hours of begging and pleading Bhagavan accepted the gift just to keep her quiet. He sat on the blanket for about half an hour and then sent it to Chinnaswami to store. He never used it again.

Someone else brought him some sandals made out of solid silver and a silver banana leaf for him to eat off. Bhagavan used the leaf for one meal, just to please the devotee, and then he gave both the leaf and the sandals to the temple. He never even bothered to try the sandals on. The ashram had a room which contained all the presents that people had given to Bhagavan. Bhagavan never used any of them. I was told that shortly after Bhagavan died Chinnaswami gave nearly all of these presents away to devotees.

When Bhagavan was asked by an advocate in the Perumal Swami case, ‘Do you have any desire for money?’ Bhagavan answered, ‘I neither like it nor dislike it’.

Bhagavan never liked or disliked anything. If we have likes or dislikes, if we hate or love someone or something, some bondage will arise in the mind. Jnanis never like or dislike anything. That is why they are free of all bondage.

LIVING BY THE WORDS OF BHAGAVAN

edited by David Godman