IndiaDivine.org

Guru Vachaka Kovai - The Truth In All Religions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Truth In All Religions

* “Who am I?” – the scrutiny of the indispensable truth of one’s own Self – is the sole life-current passing through all the religions which have come to save us. Thus should you know.

Michael James: The truth of one’s own Self is said to be indispensable because all other things depend upon it, and without it they could neither shine nor exist.

* Just as the string which is strung through every bead is only one and not many, so the Supreme Lord exists and shines as the one Light in every religion, and so He also exists and shines, not as another, but as the one Self [‘I am’] in all the innumerable creatures.

Sadhu Om: Refer also to Sri Arunachala Ashtakam verse 5.

* Just as one flame appears to be many lights when it is lit in many lamps, so it is the one Self alone which appears to be many different individuals [jivas] when It is seen through many different attributes [upadhis].

* If there were not, in each religion, at least one word which could reveal the transcendental Supreme Thing in the Heart, as clearly as a mountain on a plain, then all the researches and arguments found in the scriptures of that religion would become nothing but the hubbub of a cattle market.

Sadhu Om: It is asserted in this verse that at least one word or saying [Mahavakya] which easily reveals the fact that Self is the Supreme Reality will be found in every true religion existing on earth. Some of those pointed out by Sri Bhagavan are:

in Hinduism, “Tat twam asi”, “Aham Brahmasmi”, etc.

in Islam, “Anal Hak”; [see verse 962]

in Judaism and Christianity, “I AM THAT I AM”.

These words clearly show that God is the Reality of the first person, ‘I’.

* Various religions teaching various principles have come into existence in order to suit the various levels of maturity of the minds of the people. Therefore it is wisest to have an outlook of equality upon these religions, which should be encouraged [and not condemned].

from Guru Vachaka Kovai (The Garland of the Guru’s Sayings), by Muruganar

http://www.davidgodman.org/rteach/gvk_intro.shtml - tr - Sadhu Om & Michael James